• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hourly service from Aberdeen to Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

Ok, first response to the silly things said already on this thread.

'Why Leeds?'

Well, it's a city of a million people, major interchange for a Greater Leeds Region of three million and on the UK's most important business centres. Despite the fact it's often not thought of this way, Leeds is just as big as Manchester. You'd run a service to Leeds for exactly the same reason ICWC will be operating to Manchester. There's no need for Leeds services to 'go on' somewhere else, Leeds is a big enough and viable enough destination.

Also, going to Birmimgham or Manchester would be stupid, as going via the East Coast rather than the west coast takes about an hour longer via Leeds than via Preston.

Secondly, what stock would we use?

Admittedly, don't know-but potentially the HSTs cascaded off the GWML in a few years time, which will still be good to run.

Thirdly-but there's already an hourly service to Aberdeen from Edinburgh.

Yes, there is-and it's a three car 170 which is usually full to the gunnels, and also calls at places like Laurencekirk, Portlethen, Carnoustie and Cupar.

The East Coast is urgently in need of a long-form express service to Aberdeen, with full catering facilities and much better passenger environment than the ill-suited turbostars. This is why SR services which depart close to an EC service are often less crowded, while the EC services are packed.

Running Haymarket, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Leuchars, Dundee, Arbroath, Montrose, Stonehaven on an hourly long-form allows two things

1) for the existing SR service to be slowed down to stop more regularly at other places (i.e. Portlethen, Laurencekirk, Carnoustie, Monifieth, Broughty Ferry, Cupar, Markinch)

giving them better northward & southward connections

2) Shorter overall journey times to Edinburgh in a better environment which can cater for Growth, unlike the current service.

Win all round.

As to why this ought to go south of the border-for the very simple reason that the North is well served by southbound Newcastle services but not northbound. Adding another service north (I imagine calling York, Darlington, Newcastle, Berwick, Dunbar, Edinburgh) vastly improves their services (i.e. Darlington 3tph into Newcastle, Berwick & Dunbar get hourly services beyond Edinburgh)

and also allows the Edinburgh-LKX service to be slowed to call at Darlington, Durham, Newcastle, Morpeth, Alnmouth, Berwick & Dunbar)

as well as the Newcastle service to call at Northallerton hourly.

You then fill in the need for a 'fast' with the LKX-Aberdeen (Peterborough, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh) or HS2.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
OK, it obviously can't be done now, otherwise it seems like a worthwhile idea. However, extending most of the Edinburgh-terminating XCs northwards is possibly a bit more likely. XC might well have some more stock if and when any Voyagers are released from the WCML by extra Pendys. I'd prefer to see it operated by EC or their successor with cascaded HSTs, but that's a longer-term option because they won't be available for a while. The question then is capacity through the pinch-points at Waverley and Newcastle.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Which is why Morpeth should be bypassed by 4-5km of new 140mph standard line. With a grade separated junction at either end.

This would mitigate the inefficiences of heavy braking to safely travel through Morpeth and permit stopping and goods services to be routed away from the mainline out of the way of non-stop services.

Perhaps a comprensive rebuild of Berwick Upon Tweed station too - to deliver two fast through lines and two 12 car platforms.?

Any idea how many paths could be released by these two potential capital projects?

Considering there were calls for a Morpeth avoiding line after the derailment of 1877, I think it's about time!

fhs man 2

OK, it obviously can't be done now, otherwise it seems like a worthwhile idea. However, extending most of the Edinburgh-terminating XCs northwards is possibly a bit more likely. XC might well have some more stock if and when any Voyagers are released from the WCML by extra Pendys. I'd prefer to see it operated by EC or their successor with cascaded HSTs, but that's a longer-term option because they won't be available for a while. The question then is capacity through the pinch-points at Waverley and Newcastle.

Possible extra working operating could be introduced to operate only between Edinburgh and Newcastle, First Transpennine Express could cash in on this.

VTPreston_Tez

Considering there were calls for a Morpeth avoiding line after the derailment of 1877, I think it's about time!

This could happen, but at the same time how would extending some of the BHM-EDB services each way to Bristol/Cardiff and up north to Aberdeen/Dyce/Inverness? Has this been explored yet?
I'm still in with the idea of a stopper along this route. It may slow down other services which would be a horrible backfire so some edits would have to be made there to run a successful stopper.
Maybe extending some Aberdeen services to Dyce and creating a new bay platform with compatibility would give more places links with the Airport and allow more use for EC/ScotRail/Aberdeen Airport which would be a great boost if money problems don't get in the way.
Just my new selection of randomly generated/thought out ideas.

fhs man 2

This could happen, but at the same time how would extending some of the BHM-EDB services each way to Bristol/Cardiff and up north to Aberdeen/Dyce/Inverness? Has this been explored yet?
I'm still in with the idea of a stopper along this route. It may slow down other services which would be a horrible backfire so some edits would have to be made there to run a successful stopper.
Maybe extending some Aberdeen services to Dyce and creating a new bay platform with compatibility would give more places links with the Airport and allow more use for EC/ScotRail/Aberdeen Airport which would be a great boost if money problems don't get in the way.
Just my new selection of randomly generated/thought out ideas.

The Aberdeen to Inverness line cannot handle long trains thats why this route suffers from capacity problems, an HST is too long.

Also a train from Inverness to Cardiff is too long to be hourly.

Last edited:

VTPreston_Tez

The Aberdeen to Inverness line cannot handle long trains thats why this route suffers from capacity problems, an HST is too long.

So as a result, EC could do with some Voyagers, run as 2x5 and then split at Edinburgh for Glasgow/Fort William (yeah, right) and Aberdeen/Dyce. Maybe that should do the trick when Virgin release some Voyagers. XC would then get some HSTs off EC for extra capacity and it all works well in the end, at least in hindsight.
Any other stock EC could run? Micro HSTs that run 5 carriages but that could be a waste. It's worth a shot! (and to supplement it, a Dyce Express that works like Stansted Express, with services starting Edinburgh and with new lines (maybe) and similar, a non-stop service to Dyce only calling at Inverness and Aberdeen. That may work, with Voyagers running 30/60 minutely.

LE Greys

Established Member

A full hourly service would be a great help there. Dual Aberdeen-Dyce and Inverness-Nairn, plus modifications at Forres and Keith to extend the loops to the station, and you would have more capacity without so many problems. Also add a station at Inverness with plenty of parking.

fhs man 2

So as a result, EC could do with some Voyagers, run as 2x5 and then split at Edinburgh for Glasgow/Fort William (yeah, right) and Aberdeen/Dyce. Maybe that should do the trick when Virgin release some Voyagers. XC would then get some HSTs off EC for extra capacity and it all works well in the end, at least in hindsight.
Any other stock EC could run? Micro HSTs that run 5 carriages but that could be a waste. It's worth a shot! (and to supplement it, a Dyce Express that works like Stansted Express, with services starting Edinburgh and with new lines (maybe) and similar, a non-stop service to Dyce only calling at Inverness and Aberdeen. That may work, with Voyagers running 30/60 minutely.

How would the Dyce Express service work with the Aberdeen Crossrail project that would go from Inverurie to Stonehaven every 30 mins, with the possible reopening of the lines to Peterhead and Fraserborough and lines to the west of Aberdeen.

VTPreston_Tez

A full hourly service would be a great help there. Dual Aberdeen-Dyce and Inverness-Nairn, plus modifications at Forres and Keith to extend the loops to the station, and you would have more capacity without so many problems. Also add a station at Inverness with plenty of parking.

A new parkway station as such?

fhs man 2

So a park and ride station, people would park and then take the frequent train to the city of Inverness.

LE Greys

Established Member
A new parkway station as such?

Precisely. It's right next to the A96. Invernet has seen quite an improvement recently, and the option to run shuttles to Nairn as part of that might just work.

<EDIT> Whoops, I meant Inverness Airport. :oops:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Sorry, but this whole thing seems like "coming up with a solution and then working backwards to find some alleged problems that it would 'solve""...

You'd run a service to Leeds for exactly the same reason ICWC will be operating to Manchester. There's no need for Leeds services to 'go on' somewhere else, Leeds is a big enough and viable enough destination

But Leeds already has an hourly service to Edinburgh (and a half hourly service to Newcastle, whilst Edinburgh gets up to three trains an hour to Newcastle). Whereas Manchester - Edinburgh is only every three/four hours, so plenty stop for improvement.

what stock would we use?

Admittedly, don't know-but potentially the HSTs cascaded off the GWML in a few years time, which will still be good to run

Why not simply put these "spare" HSTs on the existing Aberdeen - Edinburgh service? That would allow one route to be improved without all the other tinkering suggested (like slowing down London - Newcastle/Edinburgh trains).

there's already an hourly service to Aberdeen from Edinburgh.

Yes, there is-and it's a three car 170 which is usually full to the gunnels, and also calls at places like Laurencekirk, Portlethen, Carnoustie and Cupar

It runs non stop through Cupar (and hardly any services stop at Carnoustie etc). And its often five coaches (a 158 tagged onto a 170).

Running Haymarket, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Leuchars, Dundee, Arbroath, Montrose, Stonehaven on an hourly long-form allows two things

1) for the existing SR service to be slowed down to stop more regularly at other places (i.e. Portlethen, Laurencekirk, Carnoustie, Monifieth, Broughty Ferry, Cupar, Markinch)

giving them better northward & southward connections

Marklnch already has a half hourly service to Edinburgh (and an hourly Dundee service). Is that not enough?

And you think the FSR service is too slow because it already stops at Laurencekirk, Portlethen, Carnoustie and your solution is to stop more FSR services at Laurencekirk, Portlethen, Carnoustie etc?

2) Shorter overall journey times to Edinburgh in a better environment which can cater for Growth, unlike the current service

How would it be a faster journey time from Aberdeen to Edinburgh, when the existing Scotrail service runs non-stop from Leuchars to Haymarket (and you'd stop your service at both Kirkcaldy and Inverkeithing too?

Adding another service north (I imagine calling York, Darlington, Newcastle, Berwick, Dunbar, Edinburgh) vastly improves their services (i.e. Darlington 3tph into Newcastle, Berwick & Dunbar get hourly services beyond Edinburgh)

Darlington gets around four trains an hour to Newcastle as things are (are you forgetting to count the two Cross Country services?)

and also allows the Edinburgh-LKX service to be slowed to call at Darlington, Durham, Newcastle, Morpeth, Alnmouth, Berwick & Dunbar)

as well as the Newcastle service to call at Northallerton hourly

So to give Leeds a fast train to Aberdeen (which you seem to think is vital), you'd slow down existing services like Edinburgh/Newcastle to London? Lopsided priorities?

sprinterguy

Established Member
I think that the best chance for regular Leeds to Aberdeen services is by extension of the hourly Plymouth to Edinburgh Crosscountry services to Aberdeen and that is what I would like to see if Crosscountry could get hold of Virgins' 221s. It wouldn't even require any additional paths as far as Edinburgh and some XC services already start/finish at Dundee so it should be possible to fit the paths in north of Edinburgh. It would also free up platform space at Waverley, and would open up Scotlands' East Coast to a wide range of focal destinations across England.

Anything more elaborate than that is just pie in the sky thinking, especially suggestions that East Coast should operate services that run to Manchester or Birmingham when that is naturally the sort of route that lies firmly within Crosscountrys' remit.
The Aberdeen to Inverness line used to be operated by six or seven coach loco hauled trains not that long ago. I don't know for sure that they didn't have carriages hanging off the platform at some stations, but I'm just saying that the line did used to handle some fairly lengthy trains.
There's nothing good about the notion of East Coast operating Voyagers :| It's bad enough that we'll have to endure five carriage IEP units when they replace the HSTs! Also it would be perfectly possible to operate a splitting service with these five carriage IEPs if they so wished, so there's no need for East Coast to take on Voyagers. And as I say, it would be simpler to just extend an existing Crosscountry service than setting up an entirely new service run by East Coast which would incur additional track access and rolling stock (Fuel, maintenance, leasing, etc) costs.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
That was not what I was meaning I meant if you keep adding to the route then plane travel would eliminate the demand, that is why the Aberdeen to London cannot be hourly.
The initial concept behind the smattering of ECML Aberdeen services was that they could be run in "marginal time" using HSTs that would otherwise be sitting idle. Admittedly, there would never be enough passenger demand to fill an hourly Aberdeen to London HST but it's not the only consideration surrounding these services. If the line up to Aberdeen is electrified in the future then it might be possible that there could be more through services from London to Aberdeen whenever new stock is ordered to replace the 225s.

fhs man 2

The initial concept behind the smattering of ECML Aberdeen services was that they could be run in "marginal time" using HSTs that would otherwise be sitting idle. Admittedly, there would never be enough passenger demand to fill an hourly Aberdeen to London HST but it's not the only consideration surrounding these services. If the line up to Aberdeen is electrified in the future then it might be possible that there could be more through services from London to Aberdeen whenever new stock is ordered to replace the 225s.

I agree

johnnychips

Established Member
What has happened to the Aberdeen Crossrail project? Googling, I could only find stuff from 2003.

LE Greys

Established Member
The Aberdeen to Inverness line used to be operated by six or seven coach loco hauled trains not that long ago. I don't know for sure that they didn't have carriages hanging off the platform at some stations, but I'm just saying that the line did used to handle some fairly lengthy trains.

I'm almost certain that the loops are still long enough, and most of the stations have plenty of platform to work with. Keith and Elgin in particular are relics of much larger junctions. Dyce and Inverurie are a bit short, though. Currently, the real capacity constraint is the single-track tunnel north of Aberdeen. This means that a late-running Edinburgh-Dyce train can hold up an Inverness-Aberdeen that has run bang on time up until then, and causes a tight turn-round on arrival.
I am not sure Alex Salmond is the MP for most of the crossrail area so we are just waiting on him before it goes ahead.

The is the latest thing about it http://gordonlibdems.org.uk/en/arti...calls-for-snp-to-commit-to-aberdeen-crossrail

Sounds typical.

Waverley125

No, XC voyagers are horrible. By running Leeds-Aberdeen hourly you can cut back XC services to Newcastle, and so concentrate on the 'core' of Newcastle-Bristol and Manchester-South Coast without needing to double up.

johnnychips

Established Member
I am not sure Alex Salmond is the MP for most of the crossrail area so we are just waiting on him before it goes ahead.

The is the latest thing about it http://gordonlibdems.org.uk/en/arti...calls-for-snp-to-commit-to-aberdeen-crossrail

So it doesn't seem a priority, then.

What do you make of this

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Art...4784/?UserKey=

The trains normally extend from Aberdeen to Inverurie via Dyce.

Sounds more promising, but again only a 'feasibility study'.

What do informed locals think about reopening lines from Aberdeen? I visited Peterhead and Fraserburgh last week and they just don't seem big enough, and in decline. Ellon, though?

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
Ok, first response to the silly things said already on this thread.

'Why Leeds?'

Well, it's a city of a million people, major interchange for a Greater Leeds Region of three million and on the UK's most important business centres. Despite the fact it's often not thought of this way, Leeds is just as big as Manchester. You'd run a service to Leeds for exactly the same reason ICWC will be operating to Manchester. There's no need for Leeds services to 'go on' somewhere else, Leeds is a big enough and viable enough destination.

Quite, yes. The City of Leeds is actually bigger than the City of Manchester. When people say Manchester they tend to refer to Greater Manchester, yet because greater Leeds is called West Yorkshire (or Leeds City Region) this doesn't happen with Leeds.

Perhaps two-hourly Aberdeen-Newcastle could be a more realistic routeing for a proposed extra train than Aberdeen-Leeds.

If FirstGroup looses GW and moves the HSTs it owns to Scotrail, this then might be feasible.

tbtc

Veteran Member
By running Leeds-Aberdeen hourly you can cut back XC services to Newcastle, and so concentrate on the 'core' of Newcastle-Bristol and Manchester-South Coast without needing to double up.

So Edinburgh loses two thirds of its services to Birmingham and all of its services to South Yorkshire/ East Midlands/ Bristol etc?

The size of Leeds is bigger than just the city of Manchester (ignoring all the other parts of Greater Manchester), true, but Leeds lacks the cultural importance of Manchester. I've never heard of Leeds being referred to as the "second city" of the UK, for example.

You've got to look at where people want to travel to - e.g. Hull is roughly twice the size of Blackpool (to compare costal places in England), but there's significantly more demand to travel from Scotland to Blackpool than there is to travel from Scotland to Hull.

Still not answered why its important to cut some routes and slow down other routes just for the sake of one new service.

Stats

Reading this thread the main problems seems to me to be the inadequate rolling stock used on the existing Ediburgh - Aberdeen service and a need for faster services. I don't understand why that then should lead to a service from Leeds. I don't believe there is a need to start any "express" service south of Edinburgh, but if it should start from anywhere south of Edinburgh it should be Newcastle. I don't dispute that the Leeds - Scotland flow could be improved, but that should be with longer stock.

The only way Aberdeen is going to get more LDHS services is on introduction of IEP and tagging on the back of the Inverness service from KGX. The service would run 2x5car from KGX splitting at Edinburgh with a portion going to Inverness and a portion going to Aberdeen.

Waverley125

So Edinburgh loses two thirds of its services to Birmingham and all of its services to South Yorkshire/ East Midlands/ Bristol etc?

The size of Leeds is bigger than just the city of Manchester (ignoring all the other parts of Greater Manchester), true, but Leeds lacks the cultural importance of Manchester. I've never heard of Leeds being referred to as the "second city" of the UK, for example.

You've got to look at where people want to travel to - e.g. Hull is roughly twice the size of Blackpool (to compare costal places in England), but there's significantly more demand to travel from Scotland to Blackpool than there is to travel from Scotland to Hull.

Still not answered why its important to cut some routes and slow down other routes just for the sake of one new service.

Yeah, and that's why Leeds is just as busy as Piccadilly & Victoria.

The answer's pretty obvious though-just send them via the WCML! It's much quicker that way, doesn't clog up the already-congested TP core with long-distance trains that can get hugely delayed, and reduces journey times. This is why I'm absolutely happy for ICWC to run hourly pendolinos from Manchester & Birmingham to Glasgow & Edinburgh, giving both of Scotland's two major cities an hourly service down the WCML, much as Edinburgh has down the ECML currently.

As for other connections-yes, Edinburgh loses a direct connection to Bristol. I don't think the number of passengers making that 7 hour journey is particularly big, especially given that Easyjet run 4 very conveniently timed flights a day between the two.

And yes, this does lead to intermediate destinations (i.e. Wakefield, Sheffield, Chesterfield, Derby, Burton & Tamworth) losing their direct service to Edinburgh. Again, I question how many people make that through journey, and if you cut back you still have a number of easy interchanges at Birmingham, Doncaster, York & Newcastle.

I really don't see that as being a problem.

As for your earlier argument of 'SR services are too slow but you want to slow them down' Yes, if there's an express alternative. Places like Cupar, Broughty Ferry, Monifieth & Carnoustie are all of not inconsequential size, and could use extra trains. If you put these on the Edinburgh-Aberdeen service and make it a semi-fast (i.e. Haymarket, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Markinch, Cupar, Leuchars, Dundee, Broughty Ferry, Monifieth, Carnoustie, Arbroath, Montrose, Laurencekirk, Stonehaven, Portlethen, Aberdeen)

you can increase service while maintaining an express with both more seats, a much more welcoming passenger environment, onboard catering and a proper first class section-something incredibly beneficial for Scotland's east coast, and you can also ensure hourly through services to England.

This would result in something like the following overlapping pattern of service

SR Edinburgh-Aberdeen: Haymarket, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Markinch, Cupar, Leuchars, Dundee, Broughty Ferry, Monifieth, Carnoustie, Arbroath, Montrose, Laurencekirk, Stonehaven, Portlethen, Aberdeen

EC Leeds-Aberdeen: York, Darlington, Durham, Newcastle, Morpeth/Alnmouth, Berwick, Dunbar, Edinburgh, Haymarket, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Leuchars, Dundee, Arbroath, Montrose, Stonehaven, Aberdeen

EC London-Edinburgh: Stevenage, Peterborough, Grantham/*, Newark/Retford Doncaster, York, Northallerton/* Darlington, Durham, Newcastle, Morpeth/Alnmouth, Berwick, Dunbar

XC SW-Newcastle: Birmingham NS, Tamworth/Burton on Trent, Derby, Chesterfield, Sheffield, (Wakefield Westgate, Leeds)/(Doncaster), York, Northallerton, Darlington, Durham

34D

Established Member

Excuse me Mr Mancunian, but we are as cultured as you are if not more so. For 30 years, Leeds has been the base of Opera North and the Northern Ballet Theatre, and you can't get much more cultured than either of them.

And yes, I have often heard Leeds being described as the second city.

Status
Not open for further replies.