• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How fast do you drive on the motorway?

How fast do you drive on the motorway?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Established Member
Sorry but I think you have lost the plot entirely.

OK, given I was once one of these 17 year olds with my own transport that you are so against, why dont you tell me why I didnt need it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
Sorry but I think you have lost the plot entirely.
Actually when I was at college (which wasn't recently) we were strongly advised to concentrate on studies and not take part time jobs.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
They only have jobs through choice and personally I think rather than having a job to pay for things they don't need like cars, they should be concentrating on their studies.

Not necessarily. I have a job so I can pay for the things I want, and need for my studies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
They only have jobs through choice and personally I think rather than having a job to pay for things they don't need like cars, they should be concentrating on their studies.
I think at the age of 17 a person is entitled to a social life, and how are they going to do that if they aren't earning money? What about buying clothes, or buying the occasional Maccy Ds' meal? Pens and paper, and even laptops, for academic studies don't come free either.

Plus work experience counts for a lot more than academic grades with nothing to support them. Without working during their college years they will probably find it a lot harder to gain employment at the end of it.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
That post has come straight from a letter by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

Disgusted of Royal Tunbridge Wells ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think at the age of 17 a person is entitled to a social life, and how are they going to do that if they aren't earning money? What about buying clothes, or buying the occasional Maccy Ds' meal?

Plus work experience counts for a lot more than academic grades with nothing to support them. Without working during their college years they will probably find it a lot harder to gain employment at the end of it.

I am at college doing A Levels at the moment. We have been strongly advised TO get a Saturday job so we have an employment history when we leave, to back up the references the college can give for us.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Disgusted of Royal Tunbridge Wells ;)

I am at college doing A Levels at the moment. We have been strongly advised TO get a Saturday job so we have an employment history when we leave, to back up the references the college can give for us.
Exactly. I think that as well as doing well in your studies it is important to gain some active experience in a part-time job in order to appear as attractive as possible to prospective employers. I reckon it stood me in good stead, and having a little bit of cash to your name is no bad thing either.

Zoe

Established Member
When I was at college I had £3 per week pocket money and didn't have a job but got through 2 years, as I say we were strongly advised against taking jobs. There most certainly was not any EMA available back then either.

GearJammer

So are we all agreed then? Some people think they can drive safely at 120mph, some can't! Some know how to drive safely, some can't! Some know how to change gear, some can't! Some know how to change lanes, some can't! ......and some peoples view on driving/motoring is either out dated or on cloud cookoo land?

Royston Vasey

Established Member
So are we all agreed then? Some people think they can drive safely at 120mph, some can't! Some know how to drive safely, some can't! Some know how to change gear, some can't! Some know how to change lanes, some can't! ......and some peoples view on driving/motoring is either out dated or on cloud cookoo land?

And certain "back seat drivers" know so much more about driving than those of us who actually drive tens of thousands of miles a year! :lol:

Striker

Anyone who regularly has to take their eyes off the road to change gear shouldn't be driving.

+1

I really hope that Zoe doesn't drive otherwise it would be quite scary to think she has a license and could be on the road as we speak.
Which state?

My friend has done the 15 minute drive around a car park and avoidance of a few cones. Which state was this? New York!!
Do you drive Zoe?

Clearly not as she's avoided answering on many occassions. I sincerely hope she DOESN'T drive considering some of the naive posts she's made.

What in God's name does it have to do with you how other people choose to live their lives? :roll:

Zoe

Established Member
considering some of the naive posts she's made.
I would not call my posts that, it is a valid point that many 17 years olds have cars that don't need them. It should also be noted that it's quite possible to drive a car without having to change gear. Some cars like the Toyota Prius don't even have fixed gears at all.

Established Member
I would not call my posts that, it is a valid point that many 17 years olds have cars that don't need them.

Plenty of people have things they don't need, if they can afford them, why is it any of your business?
How can you know if someone needs a car or not anyway?

It should also be noted that it's quite possible to drive a car without having to change gear.

In a manual car, that's called bad driving

You still haven't answered the question of whether you drive or not.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I would not call my posts that, it is a valid point that many 17 years olds have cars that don't need them. It should also be noted that it's quite possible to drive a car without having to change gear. Some cars like the Toyota Prius don't even have fixed gears at all.

Who cares whether they "need" them or not? They've got them, and they will use them. It's not our decision to make whether someone else (and you're not even singling one person out - you're singling an entire age group out!) needs a car or not.

Zoe

Established Member
+1
What in God's name does it have to do with you how other people choose to live their lives? :roll:
I'm not saying how they should live their lives. What I am saying though is that if they choose further education then that's what they should be doing. You can't deny that having a job will remove time that would have been available for study. If the end result is that they get lower grades due to this then they will have wasted a place at college.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I'm not saying how they should live their lives. What I am saying though is that if they choose further education then that's what they should be doing. You can't deny that having a job will remove time that would have been available for study. If the end result is that they get lower grades due to this then they will have wasted a place at college.

So you're against students having cars, and jobs, purely because you don't think they should have them?

Zoe

Established Member
Who cares whether they "need" them or not? They've got them, and they will use them. It's not our decision to make whether someone else (and you're not even singling one person out - you're singling an entire age group out!) needs a car or not.
The point is that many 17 year olds have cars that don't need them and this results in more congestion. Road transport does have its place but this is not it.

Established Member
I'm not saying how they should live their lives.

You're saying they shouldn't be allowed a car and should spend the time studying instead - that is most definitely telling people how to live their lives.

What I am saying though is that if they choose further education then that's what they should be doing. You can't deny that having a job will remove time that would have been available for study. If the end result is that they get lower grades due to this then they will have wasted a place at college.

That is an incredibly narrow minded and patronising point of view.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
The point is that many 17 year olds have cars that don't need them and this results in more congestion.

What about 18 year olds in college? 22 year olds in university? 40 year old mature students? You're singling out an arbitrary age group and saying they shouldn't have cars because it will congest roads and they should be studying. That's telling people how to live their lives.

Zoe

Established Member
That is an incredibly narrow minded and patronising point of view.
Sorry but if you go to college for a social life and don't care what grades you get at the end of the day then you are wasting a place.
What about 18 year olds in college? 22 year olds in university? 40 year old mature students? You're singling out an arbitrary age group and saying they shouldn't have cars because it will congest roads and they should be studying. That's telling people how to live their lives.
But in the long term the private car is simply not sustainable. It would be very short sighted if we didn't start looking at ways to reduce the number of cars on the road now.

Last edited:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Sorry but if you go to college for a social life and don't care what grades you get at the end of the day then you are wasting a place.

What about people who do care about their grades, AND have a social life? That is what happens at college.
But in the long term the private car is simply not sustainable. It would be very short sighted if we didn't start looking at ways to reduce the number of cars on the road now.

You haven't answered my question about why you've singled out an arbitrary age group.

Established Member

At what point did I refer to people going to college for the social life and not caring about grades?
I find your opinons on the matter to be extremely judgemental and patronising, and bordering on offensive.

Being at college and having a social life are not mutually exclusive, despite what you seem to think.

Zoe

Established Member
You haven't answered my question about why you've singled out an arbitrary age group.
That is just one group though. It's a question of looking at where the car is needed most and where its use could be reduced. Another area where car use could be reduced would be the school run.

Tomnick

Established Member
An interesting twist. I had the use of a car at 17, though I didn't have my own for a couple of years after that. Living in a rural area, I didn't need it, but it certainly saved my parents from rather a lot of inconvenience - he who stays at home and does nothing but study will have very little real work or life experience to go out into the big wide world with!

On topic, I've noticed throughout this thread that most of those suggesting that we should never ever even slightly exceed 70mph appear to be non-drivers. I've not commented thus far, because I didn't want to let that get in the way of a good debate, but I do think that said non-drivers might appreciate the preference of others to drive according to their judgement of the conditions rather than unwavering adherence to the speed limit if they'd had driving experience themselves.

Zoe

Established Member
I find your opinons on the matter to be extremely patronising and bordering on offensive.
Then you don't understand my opinions. My point was that 17 year olds at college should be there to study and that taking a job will distract from that. Yes I do have first hand experience of people that have been at college and ended up with rubbish grades due to spending most of their time doing other things.

GB

Established Member
So Zoe, do YOU drive?
Then you don't understand my opinions. My point was that 17 year olds at college should be there to study and that taking a job will distract from that. Yes I do have first hand experience of people that have been at college and ended up with rubbish grades due to spending most of their time doing other things.

So you know a few people that have screwed up and that means that everyone should focus purely on college and only college? What about mature students who have famalies, jobs and other commitments who are returning to education?

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
I'd like to see them given the chance of an education without working at the same time.

...and those that have famalies? Perhaps you would like the family members to be shipped off somewhere so the student can study????

Established Member
My point was that 17 year olds at college should be there to study and that taking a job will distract from that.

And what about all the people who have a part time jobs and/or social lives and are still getting good grades?

Then you don't understand my opinions.
Really?
You can't deny that having a job will remove time that would have been available for study. If the end result is that they get lower grades due to this then they will have wasted a place at college.

From these quotes, your opinion is that you think that students with a social life or a job will get bad grades and are wasting a space there.
Or have your opinions changed in the last 10 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.