• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Trains 802: Construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nymanic

LNER and GWR units have three windows blanked out for the kitchen space. On TPE and Hull Trains units, there's only two. I'd therefore expect little change on the catering front - or at least nothing more than is proposed on the new Transpennine fleets.

Kurolus Rex

Well something looking remarkably like a kitchen can be seen in this video of an HT 802, at 2.37.

As for future menus, we'll just have to wait and see what happens when all services are 802s. They can hardly change the food offer while a mixed train fleet with different kinds of catering equipment is still in use.

TPE also has the same two blocked out windows on one of the leading power cars. IIRC the LNER units have 3 blocked out windows. My guess is that the kitchen will be as big as the TPE ones, i.e a smaller downgraded version of the Azumas.

westv

Established Member
LNER and GWR units have three windows blanked out for the kitchen space. On TPE and Hull Trains units, there's only two. I'd therefore expect little change on the catering front - or at least nothing more than is proposed on the new Transpennine fleets.
What have TPE proposed then?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What have TPE proposed then?

No-one outside of TPE knows (I thought!!). There's an expectation that having fitted their trains with galleys (small ones but they've got ovens and what have you) that they'll be planning on doing something with them! But just as with HT no-one knows but there's an expectation that having procured a fleet with a more substantial kitchen than their 180s they'll be making use of it!

I don't think we can expect (for either company) to know more though until their fleets are actually rolled out.

westv

Established Member
No-one outside of TPE knows (I thought!!). There's an expectation that having fitted their trains with galleys (small ones but they've got ovens and what have you) that they'll be planning on doing something with them! But just as with HT no-one knows but there's an expectation that having procured a fleet with a more substantial kitchen than their 180s they'll be making use of it!

I don't think we can expect (for either company) to know more though until their fleets are actually rolled out.
Ok. In the normal world there'd be a big fandango about what was "coming soon" on the catering front.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

You would think so - unless DfT have demanded it for flexibility for future deployment? The present 1st offering could be done easily just using a trolley as it is on 185s.

xc170

Given how First haven't used the Blue/Pink livery for any recent TOC they've operated, it's surprising to see it used on the new stock.

With how many issues HT have had over the past 12 months with the 180's, it's surprising they haven't gone for a mild rebrand.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It is a return to First corporate barbie which I thought was being done away with on rail services. Presumably the ECT 803(?)s will be similar in that regard.
It’s definitely not Barbie, it’s Dynamic Lines. Barbie was the more dated one predecessing it

57Tonic

Well I am impressed with the new destinations along the side, Buckingham Palace, Carnaby Street and Stevenage indoor Market, can't wait to see it going along the Euston Road and the Mall.:lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It is a return to First corporate barbie which I thought was being done away with on rail services. Presumably the ECT 803(?)s will be similar in that regard.
Isn’t it just like the more recent “First” dark blue, such as the high speed “dynamic lines” with the place names effectively replacing the lines?

I’d have thought “Barbie” was the much older livery?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Isn’t it just like the more recent “First” dark blue, such as the high speed “dynamic lines” with the place names effectively replacing the lines?

I’d have thought “Barbie” was the much older livery?
Sorry yes, dynamic lines is what I meant. See pink, think barbie. It's too easy :)

westv

Established Member
Can I ask once more why the thread title doesn't mention "Paragon"? The LNER thread has been "Azuma" for à looong time. To stop confusion with the station name??
Anyway, Paragon seating plan and sample menu now on their website. The food offering seems no different to the stuff they do now with just a microwave so no idea what else they are going to do with the small kitchen. No different offering for the evening service either.

jimm

Established Member
Can I ask once more why the thread title doesn't mention "Paragon"? The LNER thread has been "Azuma" for à looong time. To stop confusion with the station name??
Anyway, Paragon seating plan and sample menu now on their website. The food offering seems no different to the stuff they do now with just a microwave so no idea what else they are going to do with the small kitchen. No different offering for the evening service either.

Ask the moderators if they can change the thread title.

As for food, what exactly were you expecting? A silver service Pullman for the first class passengers?

Hull Trains is an open-access operation, where controlling costs is king, not something like the heavily-subsidised TfW services between North and South Wales where they can afford to pay a chef's wages to cook a handful of meals.

The HT website says the following, which indicates there will be new menu items and more menus offered on rotation, which sounds a bit, well, different from one menu all the time.

We are introducing a brand new First Class menu that will rotate on a weekly basis, featuring new options and old favourites. View a sample First Class menu here.

https://www.hulltrains.co.uk/your-experience/our-menus

NoOnesFool

Ask the moderators if they can change the thread title.

As for food, what exactly were you expecting? A silver service Pullman for the first class passengers?

Hull Trains is an open-access operation, where controlling costs is king, not something like the heavily-subsidised TfW services between North and South Wales where they can afford to pay a chef's wages to cook a handful of meals.

The HT website says the following, which indicates there will be new menu items and more menus offered on rotation, which sounds a bit, well, different from one menu all the time.

https://www.hulltrains.co.uk/your-experience/our-menus
According to the Allergen Guide, the hot meal offering will be noodles for Standard passengers.

westv

Established Member
As for food, what exactly were you expecting?
A sample menu that gives an idea of maybe what we can expect once the whole fleet is out and running.
My statement that the sample menu on the website looks very much the same as before remains true.

GrimShady

Established Member
That's deeply unfair and it's regrettable you feel it necessary to seize upon this for yet another irrational anti-First swipe. She is more bothered about customers than most directors. For one, HT not being a franchised operator means she has to be.

Hardly unfair. If they really cared they would have specified a decent interior.

Her attitude says it all, tough xxxx

northernbelle

Hardly unfair. If they really cared they would have specified a decent interior.

Her attitude says it all, tough xxxx

As a non-franchised operator, Hull Trains is well within its rights to specify its product exactly how it chooses. If you don't like it, travel by another means - perhaps the franchised operator on the same route 'care' more and have specified an interior of a much higher standard?

43095john

802301 has entered service today

1A93 1033 Hull - London KX
1H04 1348 London KX - Hull

Ianno87

Veteran Member
As a non-franchised operator, Hull Trains is well within its rights to specify its product exactly how it chooses. If you don't like it, travel by another means - perhaps the franchised operator on the same route 'care' more and have specified an interior of a much higher standard?

It's almost as if Hull Trains realise that actual, real passengers (as opposed ro enthisiasts) prefer the new ambience and facilities to the old one, and have made a rational business decision accordingly.

But that would be crazy talk, wouldn't it...

I saw a Hull Trains 80x heading south at speed through Peterborough Station during my lunch break today.

Yes, passed it as it was approaching Kings Cross about an hour ago. Passengers on and everything.

Crun

It's almost as if Hull Trains realise that actual, real passengers (as opposed ro enthisiasts) prefer the new ambience and facilities to the old one, and have made a rational business decision accordingly.

But that would be crazy talk, wouldn't it...

Yes, passed it as it was approaching Kings Cross about an hour ago. Passengers on and everything.

I have just seen an article in this weeks Rail magazine and the only Hull Trains Class 802/3 running at the moment is 802301.

westv

Established Member
Until real passengers are using real trains we won't really have any idea what passengers prefer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.