• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I admit it. I like Pacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatcherZero

Established Member
No, we dont mind the weather up here, its not like some depressing place where your moods always dark, a Black Country so to speak. <D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
Admittedly it was a bloody cold day and I was sat opposite the door but the heating wasn't even on. 142026 on Friday was fantastic, heating on full power, nice (by Pacer standards) seats and quite a smooth ride between Manchester and Bolton. The ex-Merseytravel ones are the worst trains operating in Britain today, I'd like to put a HST engine in one and remote control it into a scrapyard <(

Last edited by a moderator:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Admittedly it was a bloody cold day and I was sat opposite the door but the heating wasn't even on. 142026 on Friday was fantastic, heating on full power, nice (by Pacer standards) seats and quite a smooth ride between Manchester and Bolton. The ex-Merseytravel ones are the worst trains operating in Britain today, I'd like to put a HST engine in one and remote control it into a scrapyard <(

Yeah, joking aside, I agree with you. The former Northern Spirit units like 142026 are decent by Pacer standards, whilst the Merseyrail ones are lousy. Heaven help anyone who actually travelled from Barrow to Carlisle on one when they had a Saturday return trip up the Cumbrian coast.

4SRKT

Established Member

Make it an MTU engine and I'll come along to watch. It'll be the best thing since 46009 and the nuclear flask.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I always appreciated the ex-ATN units showing up on the 0610 from Retford to Lincoln, during the winter when I was commuting regularly on that route. The heating on them was by far the most effective of all the units that plied that service.

lacorbiere

A 144 has BREL underframes whereas a 143 has Barclay underframes!

Sorry to butt in late to this conversation, but the difference between 143 and 144 when they were first introduced (and the reason for the separate class numbers) was the gearbox configuration.

143s had an SCG mechanical gearbox like the 142s, and 144s were equipped with Voith hydraulic gearboxes from new. It was only later that 142s and 143s started being equipped with Voith gearboxes and the distinction got blurred.

4SRKT

Established Member
It is also true that 143s have Andrew Barclay underframes and 144s BREL ones.

junglejames

Established Member
There, I've gone and got it right out in the open and feel much better for it. Is anyone else pacer veg, or am I just a bad person?

And? You make it sound like a bad thing? As long as you dont come out and say you fancy Jordan, whats the problem?

Pacers are wicked fun. Not always the most comfortable, but brilliant fun. As are all BR DMUs.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I don't personally like 'Pacers' as an enthusiast, but I can't really have an opinion either as I have not been on one, but I think there very ugly units.

Thats just being honest. But the EMUs/DMUs I like are just down to personal taste, I like 'Voyagers', 'Electrostars', 'Desiros', 'Networkers', 'Slammers but thats just me, there are others out there who hate them but thats just there personal taste and I don't really mind. :)

WestCoast

Established Member
I don't personally like 'Pacers' as an enthusiast, but I can't really have an opinion either as I have not been on one, but I think there very ugly units.

You're missing out on all the fun :lol::o:roll:! I know it can never happen, but can you imagine the uproar if pacers were sent to the South East? Slammers were in a different league to pacers, at least in my opinion. Often my daily commute involves a pacer and I can tell you it is not a great experience.

I have to echo the comments about the Merseyrail refurbished pacers. Simply awful, rock hard seats with virtually no legroom whatsoever!

I used to like pacers :roll:, before I started using them often. I don't like them now, the ex-First North Western ones with bus seats are also pretty bad! If it has to be a pacer, it has to be an ex-Arriva Trains Northern, as they have the best seating by far.

The service I use varies from a 142 to a 156. 156s seem like luxury compared to 142s!

Last edited:

Lampshade

Established Member
The 16:48 service to Rose Hill from Manchester Piccadilly was run by a 156 the other day. Passengers were walking round confused asking everyone in sight whether or not it was the Rose Hill train, which is usually a guaranteed 142, they were that surprised it was not only a proper train, but one with tables.

Established Member

It seems that a lot of people are quick to show how much they 'hate' pacers but then actually haven't travelled on one!

91107 said:
The 16:48 service to Rose Hill from Manchester Piccadilly was run by a 156 the other day. Passengers were walking round confused asking everyone in sight whether or not it was the Rose Hill train, which is usually a guaranteed 142, they were that surprised it was not only a proper train, but one with tables

Not sure why you'd need a table if going to Rose Hill, you'd only be on the train for about 20 minutes anyway!

junglejames

Established Member
Make it an MTU engine and I'll come along to watch. It'll be the best thing since 46009 and the nuclear flask.

Is this how you guys let off steam? Sounds like legalised violence to me.

Think its about time we started a MerseyTravel Pacer appreciation society.

Can just imagine the the announcement at the station the next day. "We apologise but the 0946 service is delayed. This is due to 2 so called enthusiasts using the train to get their kicks". It is currently making its way back from Edinburgh which is where it ended up. The 2 plonkers got lost looking for the scrapyard over the road!! The two culprits are still in the rear coach crying. Feel free to........................."

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I can't say I have ever loved them, I've always been kind of indifferent to them, but after last night, I have a new appreciation for the pacer. At the end of a six hour journey that should've been just 3 1/2 hours, a pacer running on time in the snow is more than welcome.

Established Member
Q.

"Mum, I'm going to come out. I like pacers. Am I normal?"

A.

"No."

Established Member
Worst joke ever

A better punch line would have involved being conceived on a Pacer in my honest opinion.

Wouldn't be difficult - after all, the train is f***** so the passengers will be too :roll:

Well, I'm banned. G'bye gang!! :eek:

Nc45

I have to echo the comments about the Merseyrail refurbished pacers. Simply awful, rock hard seats with virtually no legroom whatsoever!

I used to like pacers :roll:, before I started using them often. I don't like them now, the ex-First North Western ones with bus seats are also pretty bad! If it has to be a pacer, it has to be an ex-Arriva Trains Northern, as they have the best seating by far.

The service I use varies from a 142 to a 156. 156s seem like luxury compared to 142s!

Agree.
I hate all Pacers, but if I were held at gunpoint and forced to choose my favourite Pacer, it'd have to be an ex-Merseyrail one. They have rigid plastic seats that can't and don't go anywhere. As for those ex-FNW 142s with the bus seats, some of the seat bottoms fall out and I have sometimes spent a journey sat very gingerly hoping the seat bottom doesn't slip forward and collapse on me! Or the person sat beside me doesn't slip forward and I collapse down with them! Gives the calf muscles a good workout :) And those ATN pacers initially seem luxurious with their big seats and central heating, but some of them have horribly slouched seats that seem to have been bent backwards out of place, so the person's head in front of you is almost in your face!

156s are luxurious in comparison, and even better are Northern's newly refurbed 150s. Who needs first class!

Established Member
You're all wrong! Amateurs lol. It's 142 016.

The god of Pacers. It did 87mph on it's own while running empty stock down the ECML from Heaton-Newcastle-York. We passed a GNER at Darlo! My docket ended up being stuck over the back dashboard to hide the speedo, as I was getting close to a nervous breakdown. :|

It also worked a Transpennine Express service in 2000 Newcastle-Liverpool with window labels, seat reservations - sellotaped on, and even Boothy appeared with his tea trolley.

sprinterguy

Established Member
You're all wrong! Amateurs lol. It's 142 016.

The god of Pacers. It did 87mph on it's own while running empty stock down the ECML from Heaton-Newcastle-York. We passed a GNER at Darlo! My docket ended up being stuck over the back dashboard to hide the speedo, as I was getting close to a nervous breakdown. :|

It also worked a Transpennine Express service in 2000 Newcastle-Liverpool with window labels, seat reservations - sellotaped on, and even Boothy appeared with his tea trolley.

87mph??? Good grief that would be white knuckle ride and a half, if it wasn't just a dodgy speedo!

Anyway, you're all wrong as well: :p 142020 is best: Good old Tyne and Wear yellow machine :D (and Cornish "Skipper" before that)

Lampshade

Established Member
It's got to be 144018, very comfy seats, good window views, smooth-ish ride and three cars :)

Or if we've fallen into the trap of using '142' and 'Pacer' interchangeably, 142065.

4SRKT

Established Member
As the thread starter I'd like to state that I don't have a favourite pacer. In fact I don't have any favourite units whatsoever. I'm an old school loco enthusiast who just sees units as a necessary evil. Some units are clearly better (e.g. pacers, 115s) than others (e.g. 170s, 185s), but I would never stoop to regarding them as individuals or recording numbers.

Established Member
142094 is always around so has to be my favourite. Planning on a 142 bash after Boxing Day, get some more miles in. After that, a one around West Yorkshire on the 14th of Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.