• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I admit it. I like Pacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
There, I've gone and got it right out in the open and feel much better for it. Is anyone else pacer veg, or am I just a bad person?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Well, for a start 142094 will have only words of encouragement for this announcement!

For the first 18 years of my life I lived in the north east, I held no affection for Pacers. But since moving away “doon sooth” and an extended exile from the Pacer saturated kingdom that is the north, I’ve found that I miss them. I get very nostalgic travelling on Pacers whenever the opportunity arises on my sporadic forays to the north country, as they will always be part of my youth, and I can only look back on them fondly.

So in short, I’ll have to come out of the closet on this one, I now hold a healthy respect and liking for the humble class 142. I’ll miss them when they’re gone (So in around 2040 at the rate things are going!).

You’ve basically started a thread that might as well be titled “Pacerholics Anonymous”, as we admit our love of the bouncin’ buses and our experiences with them...:D

Established Member
Well, for a start 142094 will have only words of encouragement for this announcement!

Naturally!

I thing the whole thing is down to character - the new stock IMO is boring and clincal, whereas Pacers and other older stock have a bit more noise and bounce.

On Saturday I was at Huddersfield, saw a 142 coming in for a Wakefield Westgate service when I was on a Leeds train, so jumped off at Mirfield, got on the 142 and had a good 20 minutes bouncing along in West Yorkshire.

Lampshade

Established Member
I like some Pacers, my biggest gripe with them is the bus seats, if I wanted to travel on bus seats, I'd catch the bus.

The 143s, 144s and the ex-ATN 142s all have pretty decent seating. Merseytravel and ex-FNW ones are dreadful at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

4SRKT

Established Member
One of my first experiences on a pacer was on a 143 from Newcastle to Carlisle in 1986. I was travelling from York to Northern Ireland on my own for the first time, and there was a suicide near Wylam. The train was non-stop Newcastle > Hexham and was bucketing along when the bang happened. The drive came out looking ill (!), and quite quickly the Police arrived. They told the whole train what had happened whereupon a woman went to the only toilet and barfed all over the place, pebbledashing bowl, walls and window. Some part of the suicider had got into the set's brakes and it couldn't free them. We had to wait until the following pacer on a Newcastle > Hexham stopper came up behind and coupled on to release the brakes (just as well it wasn't a 101). All stations to Hexham where a fitter was waiting and sorted us out so we could proceed alone.

Very late arriving at Carlisle so we'd missed the boat train by almost an hour. I don't think I was the only person who had a crafty look at the front of the 143 to see if there were any human remains on the coupling! The station master at Carlisle suggested the 15 or so boat passengers go on to Glasgow to take the 21:57 Stranraer train from there and wait nearly 3 hours at the port for the 03:00 boat! A very angry woman travelling with young kids took him on and he eventually laid on a coach which stormed along the A75, arriving at Stranraer 20 minutes before departure, and only about 10 minutes after the train! Phew!

Dai.

Established Member
BE GONE DEMONNNN!

In all seriousness though, I watch these pull in and out of Cardiff every day and they don't look too much fun - I don't really love them and I don't really hate them, but I will avoid them, they look uncomfy and terrible.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Having lived in Scotland, the south east and Cornwall, and only ever ventured into the north of England and Wales by Intercity train or car- I've never used them.

WillPS

Established Member
I like some Pacers, my biggest gripe with them is the bus seats, if I wanted to travel on bus seats, I'd catch the bus.

The 143s, 144s and the ex-ATN 142s all have pretty decent seating. Merseytravel and ex-FNW ones are dreadful at best.

IMO the bus seating is the second best you can get on Pacers (best being Chapmans on ATW). Richmond is horrible and leaves bugger all leg room, and the ATN stuff really is tatty - shocking excuse for a refurb! As for Merseytravel... lets not even go there!!

The bus seating is alright, plenty of leg room, bit of padding... does the trick.

387star

On Moderation
Why is the Mersey interior so poor? I couldn't see much wrong with it?

The Northern Spirit/ATN seats won't last because they are completely upholstered and have detachable head rests. ATN continued the Bus seat trend by fitting the next generation of bus type seats! These seats seem very similar to those found in mini buses!

Lampshade

Established Member
Why is the Mersey interior so poor? I couldn't see much wrong with it?

There's nothing wrong with it if you're under say, 5ft tall. Last time I travelled on a Merseytravel 142 my knees were wedged in the back of the seat in front - and you can't get anyone in the centre seat on the 3 side because everyone leans towards the middle for the extra legroom.

The Northern Spirit/ATN seats won't last because they are completely upholstered and have detachable head rests. ATN continued the Bus seat trend by fitting the next generation of bus type seats! These seats seem very similar to those found in mini buses!

But they're really comfy! I'd happily choose an ATN 142 over a Northern 150 (regardless of refurb spec).

Last edited by a moderator:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In Hell Satan will be travelling around on a 185 if you ask me!

Surely Satan rides a Voyager? I would take a 185 over a flipping Voyager any day of the week!

I must also admit to a like of Pacers, as 142094 says they have far more character than modern units, this more than outweighs any flaws.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I have to admit, I don't hate Pacers as much as others on here. I don't know why: probably because I've been on one every weekend (near enough) for the past couple years of my life to get to Preston or Blackburn and beyond (my local station has the 'honour' of having a near exclusive 142 service, maybe a 150 if we are lucky or a 156 if it's a special occasion!).

AFAIK, there are three types of Northern Pacers: the ex-Merseyrail sets, the ex-ATW ones, and the nicer ones which Northern have done up.

The seats on the Merseyrail and Arriva Trains Wales ones are horrible, especially Merseyrail ones (which still display Merseyrail network maps and safety instructions inside) with their individual bus seat-style seats. On the other hand, the ones Northern have cleaned up are really nice, with kind of complete 3+2 seating (i.e. no gaps in between, one set of seats are all joined together in a kind of bench thing.

I feel the one big 'advantage' of 142s on local routes is the full view they can give you of certain lines, even if you are sat on the other side of the train, such as the Tyne Valley, Middlesbrough-Whitby and Cumbrian Coast lines.

Believe me, once you have been on Pacers for as long as I have, you get used to them!

4SRKT

Established Member
All the closet pacer veg outing themselves on this thread!

GospelOak117

Ok I must admit I love being thrashed about on these, I love to know i'm really on a train, rather than in a silent, motionless cocoon.
More noise and ride irons out some of the more annoying things about rail travel too!! i.e having to listen to other peoples conversations and people shouting on mobile phones, when their phone flies out of their hand and smashes on the floor :)

TGV

I think you're all crazy! I'd rather be on a soulless, silent, motionless cocoon that's more comfortable, has better ameneties, is more reliable and faster...

I suppose they're (just) better than no train, but that's not praise!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised - there's a fan club for the Austin Allegro and I guess that's the closest automotive equivalent of these awful things.

Sorry guys (or girls) - I just don't get the Pacer thing.

4SRKT

Established Member
I think you're all crazy! I'd rather be on a soulless, silent, motionless cocoon that's more comfortable, has better ameneties, is more reliable and faster...

I suppose they're (just) better than no train, but that's not praise!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised - there's a fan club for the Austin Allegro and I guess that's the closest automotive equivalent of these awful things.

Sorry guys (or girls) - I just don't get the Pacer thing.

You need to embrace your inner pacer lover!

I think that the pacer was a good idea but used the wrong way, it is (nearly) perfect for the rural branch line (if it had bogies it would have been unbeatable on branches) it should not have been used on mainlines.

but to add to the smooth vs rough debate, give me a ramshackle branch over a mainline any day, to me nothing can beat being thrown around to the sound of jointed track.

Drimnagh Road

Must say I am truly shocked and disappointed 4SRKT. I looked up to you, a hard liner former Irish Rail loco crank.

When you came out about 67s I was glad you found something to occupy yourself in the day of the unit, as at least a 67 is a loco, and a pretty decent one at that.

It's not just about units, its the fact its a pacer! How long have you been living this double life? What's next? You love 3000s, 2700s and 22000s? What is the next confession? That the beer you have drank on railtours is in fact apple juice?

Help is available mate. Do the right thing, make that call...

387star

On Moderation
Surely Satan rides a Voyager? I would take a 185 over a flipping Voyager any day of the week!

Indeed! Voyagers have to be my least favourite train. No matter what anyone else says on here they are too noisy (leave headache) and the seats have to be the hardest seats used on nay long distance service. Look at the base of the seat upholstery- a centimetre thick? Not to mention the lack of luggage space, cramped interior (a price for a train which won't even tilt!) and the ever worsening XC interior... oh and the putrid stench of sewage from the WC!!! The disabled toilets are a waste of space.
Once my dad opened the door whilst an old guy was havin a **** in there as a joke for he had 'forgot' to lock the door (That does NOT mean the old guy was ignorant however ;)) !!

Having said all this the ride on a 483 to Shanklin on Saturday was dreadful- it felt like the train would derail at any point and could only be described as uncomfortable. I nickname then boneshakers!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.