• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you had a time machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
If you had a time machine and you could choose three different time zones, place and what would you do there? Also you could bring one object.

Firstly I would go to 1959 Reading Station. With my Digital camara and take photos.

Then I would go to Leeds in 1975 with my digital camara and take photos of the Deltics and other beasts on the ECML.

After that I would go to 1987, Reading station with my digital camara and do the same thing of the class 50s and first gen DMUs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tinyanmcw

1) I would go to 1800 China. I can be famous even i just bring a torch with me.
2) I would go to 1964 Osaka. Take a ride on series 0 in Japan with a DV.
3) I would go to 2100 Hong Kong , with my camera , i want to know how hong kong develops after i died.

BlythPower

The late seventies for me. Fantastic variety of traction (all in rail blue ;)) and punk gloriously transforming into post-punk.

Also, the late fifties ('58 would do nicely) for steam around Whitby and the Yorkshire coast.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
If I had a time machine hmmm?........

1.I would go back to the launch of NSE in 1986.

2.Travel on the last EPB service in March 1995.

3.Go back to Hither Green shed when "Cromptons" ruled!.

4.Go back to the Southern Railways "Golden Arrow".

5.Go back to the early 70s and try and preserve the a "Blue Pullmans"
Regards

mumrar

Established Member
I'd go back to the 1950's with a high quality video camera and lots of memory. I'd film the west and east coast mainlines and all of the diesel and electric prototypes. As for bringing back one object, that's simple. I'd bring the Euston arch, somehow

Last edited:

Aussie_Rail

Well, I would go back to:

1920's New York, with my camera. Capture the life in the big apple with all the old cars, the fashion, the life styles, that great period before the depression, one of the few great times in the last 100 years.

1950's Melbourne for me, with my camera and see peak hour in Melbourne with all the old W2 and W class trams in green and cream colours as well as the platforms at Flinders Street Station with the old Tait and Harris trains.

1900's London, experience life in a huge city in the tail end of the Industrial Revolution, see the crowdedness, the way people live, the grandeur of some places and the squallier of others, as well as all those antiques!

devon_metro

Established Member
I'd go back to when this said time machine was invented, get the drawings, take it to C21 and mass produce it selling at a massive profit ;)

Daimler

Established Member
Oooh, right...

1913 - a ride on the West Coast Joint Stock behind a LNWR 'Claughton' to Glasgow, return from St. Enoch on a Midland Pullman (double-headed 'Compounds' over the S&C, please!). Then, ooh, I don't know, I think I'd have to go for a ride on the GCR (Britain's newest main-line!)

1937 - 'Coronation Scot' to Glasgow behind a streamlined 'Duchess'. Return on the LNER 'Coronation behind an A4. Then the 'Golden Arrow/Fleche d'Or' Pullman to Paris, and the the Orient Express to Istanbul (and return).

1952 - For a ride on the 'Atlantic Coast Express' to almost any of its terminus destinations, then a rail-rover all around the south-western branches (LSWR and GWR). Follow this by a return to London behind a GWR 'King' (possibly on the 'Cornish Riviera Express'). Then I'd take the 'Thames-Clyde Express' St. Pancras to St Enoch (preferably with a rebuilt 'Royal Scot' over the S&C, and a second rail-rover of Scotlant. Then a return on either the 'Elizabethan' or the 'Royal Scot'. I'd then fancy a ride on the 'Night Ferry' to Paris, and return.

Ah well, we can all dream!

Geezertronic

Established Member
I'd go forward and get the winning 6 numbers for this Saturday's lottery :D

Or I'd go back 20 years to see myself and give my younger self a copy of the latest Sports Almanac :D

Established Member
Id take my camera to the 70`s film/phot the HST being made bash as much as i can, then after that the 1950`s-1960`s to experence the final years of steam then I would upload it all to my fotopic and youtube

Ferret

Established Member
I'd go back to the late 80s and take my camera out to the lineside. I've been out today ignoring Voyagers and Pendos galore, wishing the WCML was solid LHCS.

I'd also like to go back to the 1970s to see every American airport full of B727s.

Lastly, I'd go back to the 1950s and see masses of steam everywhere, including a still open Sutton Park station!

me123

Established Member
I'd like to go back to the days of BR and see first hand if things were better back then. I'd like to go to the days of steam as well; it would be interesting to get a kettle from London to Glasgow. And an old DMU from Airdrie to Bathgate to compare the old to the new when it opens. Basically, tour the railways from probably just after the war to the present day to see the changes first hand.

I'd also like to go back to the early days of medicine to appreciate just how far we've actually come. See old hospitals and diseases and how they were treated. I might also speak to Mr. Alexander Fleming and tell him that microbes can become resistant to antibiotics, but I don't know if it will make a difference.

I'd go back and meet some of my ancestors. I'm tracing my family tree and they're proving elusive, so they might just help me with a few things that need clearing up. It'd also be interesting to see how they lived; I know that one family (2 adults, 9 kids) were coal miners living in a house with just one window! And that I have a large side of my family from the Black Isle.

Finally, I'd like to go back and hear the great classical composers perform their own works; people like Mozart, Beethoven, Shostakovich to name but 2. In particular, I'd like to meet Anton Stadler, probably the best clarinettist of his day, to see what the Basset Clarinet was like, and also to find the original (lost) score to Mozart's concerto.

mrcheek

Established Member
The late seventies for me. Fantastic variety of traction (all in rail blue ;)) and punk gloriously transforming into post-punk.

Musically speaking I would go back to the mid 70s to take in punk, the origins of industrial from Throbbing Gristle, then post -punk (by going to every Joy Division gig), and then the new romantic explosion of the 80s.

From a railway perspective, the same years might also be a good idea, to experience nothing but loco hauled traction, and also to travel on as many Merrymakers as possible.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Or I'd go back 20 years to see myself and give my younger self a copy of the latest Sports Almanac :D

Genius.

Dai.

Established Member
I take my girlfriend to the three most romantic places on earth :)

krus_aragon

Established Member
When I saw the topic title I didn't think of railways at all. Is that good or bad?

In the railway world, I'd probably dart back to the late 1920s and go on a tour of all the branch lines of North Wales that would close over the next 50 years. (That way I'd get the Red Wharf Bay branch, which closed to regular passenger traffic in 1930) I might pop down to Cardiff to see the docks in full swing.

In the wider world, I don't know. My mind sort of boggles with the choices. Tell you what, could I take that Tardis on long-term loan?

I'd probably go back to the 70s/80s and go bashing various classes of loco's all around the country. Judging by the amount going back for HSTs I wouldn't have to worry about the front windows being taken... :p

Phoenix

Established Member
1. 1960's Dawlish to get the Hydraulics
2. 1970's Crewe Roarers etc
3. 1960's all london.

And bring only my digital camera.

Aictos

Established Member
Back in time to see what my line I work on used to be like with DMUs, Steam and Semphone Signalling followed by reasonable bets on sporting and lotteries carefully accumulating the money put away for a rainy day in some trust fund only to be opened when it expires ie when I get back to the present time.

Would love to meet some of the celebrities at the time from Gerald Fiennes to Dr Beeching to Lulu to Queen.

If I could then I would put a end to the bid to privatise the railways so it ended up as a what could have been meaning the railways would still be under public control but modernised so new stock, modernised stations etc...See Chilterns under BR and then Chiltern Trains for a example of what I'm going on about.

BlythPower

Musically speaking I would go back to the mid 70s to take in punk, the origins of industrial from Throbbing Gristle, then post -punk (by going to every Joy Division gig), and then the new romantic explosion of the 80s.

That'll be two of us then! I'd love to have seen Foxx-era Ultravox! as well.

Discipline! Discipline! I want some discipline in here!

43021HST

Established Member
Back in time to see what my line I work on used to be like with DMUs, Steam and Semphone Signalling followed by reasonable bets on sporting and lotteries carefully accumulating the money put away for a rainy day in some trust fund only to be opened when it expires ie when I get back to the present time.

Would love to meet some of the celebrities at the time from Gerald Fiennes to Dr Beeching to Lulu to Queen.

If I could then I would put a end to the bid to privatise the railways so it ended up as a what could have been meaning the railways would still be under public control but modernised so new stock, modernised stations etc...See Chilterns under BR and then Chiltern Trains for a example of what I'm going on about.

One thing I find a bit Ironic is that you have decorated your post with private company logos.

mrcheek

Established Member
I got a better idea.
Ill buy a 1 week 1st class ALR, then as the week is about to end, Ill kick the time machine into gear, and return to the beginning of the week. Then Ill do the same again, and again, and again, until Ive managed to do every line there is. Including all those rare curves that only have like 1 train a week.....

Status
Not open for further replies.