• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introductions

Kingmush

Hello, I sent Minoru the link to this site.

I hope to also stick around but if I do go wrong, don't be afraid to put me back on track.

Name: Steven
Lives: Macclesfield
Job: Year 11 student, Station/buffet staff on the ELR
Transport Interests: Steam locomotives mainly, I also like some classic diesels.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

UppyJC

Hi, I'm James. I'm 22 years old and from Bristol.

My day job is a computer programmer for water company. I'm also a volunteer at Avon Valley Railway in my spare time as well as a Scout Leader. I also do freelance software development, a bit of simple web design and computer repairs.

I'm interested in anything diesel powered but also love a steam train. Spend probably a bit too much time (and money) tuning and subtly modifying my car.

So yeah, that's me. Looks a good forum so hope to stick around.

kentuckytony

Lian - welcome aboard. You said, "cos barely anyone i know where i live really cares about trains". I know the feeling.
You will find a lot of friends with like interests here, though.

Also, welcome to the the other newbies from a fairly recent one myself.

Elec_Engr

Hi Everyone,

New bloke on the block here - Interests here are work and social, so would like to meet more of the same.

Kind Regards to all,

Col

Last edited:

jon91

How do. I'm Jonathan and i'm originally from Accrington but now live in Lincoln.

I'm a first year BSc biomedical science student at the University of Lincoln,

I've been lurking on the forum for a while and my main interests are photography and railways so I can mix them both here. I hope to contribute more to the forum in the future.

Regards,

Jon

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I didn't realise that there's a roll call, and I'm not that 'new'. :D

Name: Brian
Lives: Leicester
Job: Doing my PhD with masses of teaching responsibility
Transport Interests: About this much

Tristan

Hi Guys, have just joined this morning as trains pondered over my mind this morning. Will be installing my rail simulator later today to have a go and hope to get involved a little bit in the community :) Again, im new and dont know anything about trains and want to know a bit :)

Name: Tristan Marchent
Lives: Taunton
Job: Upper Sixth Form student
Transport Interests: Main interest is Aviation and want to be a pilot when I am older but have always had a liking for trains, not a huge fanatic and can't tell what type a train is but used to have a model train set, still do but very dusty and needs completing. Want to get into the Sim side of Trains :)

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Captain Chaos

Name: Michael
Lives: Newbury
Job: Conductor for FGW
Transport Interests: HST's, 156's, 158's, 390's, 170's infact probably anything apart from 165/166's (have enough of those at work).
Something I could not live without: My PS3
What's in my wallet: Just the usual stuff. Bank cards, loyalty card, drivers license etc.

Tulyar

Just wanted to say hi

I always had a love of railways when I was younger, used to live in New Barnet in the late 70's early 80's and would hear the mighty Deltics roaring through the night (and day). Hence the username and really the only Loco I have continued to monitor on and off, moreso since the advent of the Net.

Got into spotting with a mate in about 77/78, got to see a lot of the country, untold sheds back in the day when you just walked in, went on a few tours etc as we got older, basically keeping out of trouble, seeing the end of such classes as 24,44,55's.
I probably hung up my Locoshed in 82/83 when girls,music and cars became more of an interest to me at that time a lot of the classes were going the way of the scrap yard, we'd go to Swindon and Donnie and they would be full of diesel examples being chopped up. I have also found to my sadness that places like Finsbury Park and Stratford are no longer and Old Oak Common and Willesden are not the places they once were, not to mention how you could walk around the depots freely with the crew at these depots more than happy for you to jump in the cab, none of this H&S Bull.

For me I think the magic started to die in the 80's when electrification started in earnest on the ECML and the culling of multiple loco's was a monthly experience in the pages of Rail Enthusiast.

To give you an idea off where it all stopped for me, the 58's were the new kids on the block when I jacked it in, now I find it very strange seeing pics of the 58's being scrapped, thinking they didn't last long then you realise it was a long long time ago.

Modern trains dont do it for me but it's great to see some of my favourite diesels stuill running on the Main Line under preservation and some of the 47's, 37's probably nearing 50 years in service.

From reading a few pages it looks like a wide age group in here and it's nice to see the enthusiasm still burns brightly for our railways.

Is there such a thing as Locoshed anymore ??

Looking forward to enjoying the forums and contributing

Cheers :)

Dai.

Established Member
Welcome to the forum.

Really enjoyed the story you told about your time being an enthusiast! It had me gripped.

Although posted in the wrong thread/forum, but I'm sure a moderator will be kind enough to move it along.

Tulyar

Thanks Dai

That was just a brief glimpse into the life of an 80's enthusiast, many happy memories and as I mentioned we weren't hamstrung by Health and Safety and I kind of remember being 15 and jumping on the Night Rider to Edinburgh for a weekend of shed bashing, with it's nice flourescent blue lights, and our parents not having to worry what would happen to us.

I didn't notice a part of the forum where us 40 somethings can reminisce about the good old days, I now feel like my mate's dads did all those years ago when they used to go on about steam and we'd argue for hours that Diesel was king.

It still is :D

class156

Thanks Dai

That was just a brief glimpse into the life of an 80's enthusiast, many happy memories and as I mentioned we weren't hamstrung by Health and Safety and I kind of remember being 15 and jumping on the Night Rider to Edinburgh for a weekend of shed bashing, with it's nice flourescent blue lights, and our parents not having to worry what would happen to us.

I didn't notice a part of the forum where us 40 somethings can reminisce about the good old days, I now feel like my mate's dads did all those years ago when they used to go on about steam and we'd argue for hours that Diesel was king.

I would be careful about talking about shed bashing on this forum, people will think you've gone mad :p

A shed is a class 66 which many enthusiasts don't like

Dai.

Established Member
Thanks Dai

It was a brilliant glimpse into what life used to be like before Health and Safety! Smashing, but there is a Nostalgia forum if you scroll down the forum main page or click here, where I'm sure everyone, old & young would love to hear your stories!

scotsman

Established Member
Hello! I'm one of those lucky sods that gets to serve those bashing 37s/47s (and, on one occasion, a 57)

TGV

Funny - I'm not an enthusiast in the 'spotting sense, but I remember my interest in railways started when I was young and lived next to a railway, but then, electrics were the main act and to me *that* was the real thing. Diesels were curious, noisy things that looked ancient and were only used because there weren't any wires in place!

I've stayed in touch with my interest because, I get paid for it. It's my career now. Yeah, there's no romance when it's your job, but at least I get up in the mornings and look forward to it - more than many can say and I'm proud of that.

I guess when it's all gone to Maglev we'll be saying "weren't like in my day - trains had wheels"

Tulyar

Thanks for the replies guys

Thanks for the link Dai, I obviously needed to look around a bit more.

Two things in the responses stood out for me, had me scratching my head.

Class 57, never heard of it, Wikipedia soon satisfied my quest for information, so it's a refurbed 47, love the names Virgin have given theirs, but they'll always be 47's to me.

The Class 60 has a Preservation group, in my mind they're not old enough LOLThis just goes to show, I haven't been that enthusiastic for a long time !!

TGV, loved your comment about the Electrics being the main act, just goes to show the whole Steam, Diesel, Electric argument is generational.

See you around the forums :)

I need to do some homework on what came after the 58's :D,

For me we have two generations of diesels, those built in the 50's through to the 70's and then everything built after the 56's, all the post 56 locos all look the same to me and have a very european feel about them with none of the character of everything before the 56's.

Cheers

Jordy

Established Member
Have merged the thread made by Tulyar to our introductions thread, welcome to RailUK! :rf:

Eagle

Established Member
Hi, I'm Eagle.

I'm from the UK and I like railways*. So I signed up. It was kind of inevitable.

As for where I live, let's make a game of this: in about six months I'm moving to a house in a medium-sized town which backs onto a single-track railway which is nevertheless run by frequent intercity trains and more than the occasional freight working. But it's almost five miles to the nearest station. If that doesn't pinpoint the location for you...

*amongst some other things. Hence my tagline ;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome :smile:

Hmm, sounds like something we'd see in the Quiz section! Is it Kenilworth?

dubhglas

good evening everyone. appologies if this is in the wrong thread. I'm new to this site and wanted to introduce myself.

been interested in rail industry for a while now, and looking to hopefully get a career within it. Nice to see a lot of other like minded people :)

well, hello. hope your all ok.

doug

Don2912

Hi, Ladies & Gentlemen,

New here, so please be gentle! :p

Name: Don
Lives: Long Eaton, Derbyshire
Transport Interests: Buses, railways, classic aircraft
Other Hobbies: Model railways, model aircraft, walking, aviation archaeology
Whats in my wallet: Debit card, yesterday's Zigzag ticket, moths

Additional:
I was directed to this rather excellent Forum by a friend and fellow poster on here, Jordeh. (Thanks matey!)

desirokma

Hi there

I'm desirokma aka kerry-melissa
I'm 21 years old and have loved everything rail for as long as I can remember
Although the railway is my number one desire in life I also have greyhounds that race lol (which come close second)
I live in Great Barr in Birmingham :D

Just thought I would say HIII

Xx

ACE1888

Name:Andrew
Lives: Penzance,Cornwall
Job:Retail warehouse worker (Tesco)
Transport Interests: British railways, Old railways, railway photography
Something I couldn't live without: My children ,Celtic FC
Favourite Classes:Class 52 'Westerns' Class 121 DMU's 9F's
Whats in my wallet? : Never enough....

Dai.

Established Member
Welcome to the forum guys!

It's a fun place if you like the railways, if you're stuck on anything just ask someone about it and they'll happily help you.

We're a friendly bunch here.