• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the railway employee blacklist real or is it a myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I would imagine it's dependent on grade? If you screw up as a driver you're not likely to get employment elsewhere?

Fred Dinenage

There is a thread a few pages back regarding this,perhaps the soul is too troubled to look ;)

canman31

It's not just about screwing up if you get sacked on trumped up charges then you have had it
I know experience I passed all the drivers and guards tests that's 3 times I've sat guards test once since.
And no job interviews just get fobbed off
So it's true alright
Check out perry Webb blog about tpe !

And it's funny about thread labelled iilegal blacklist
How many posters 6.

Speaks volumes !
The 5 are current staff to my knowledge
So you see not wanting to be labelled a trouble maker or aswell as a mistake your gone
Unless your of the sucking up disposition fact unfortunately
Really hard jobs to get
Really easy to lose
It's if your face fits basically
So keep your down and mouth shut and never ever criticise your employer even if they are wrong as it could cost you your job.

If your a lying manager different story see Swt driver manager tribunal stuff on net
And see what he does now and his current employer speaks volumes fact.

Bet their is many posters on this thread either
Should answer your question.

GB

Established Member
this is troubling my soul

The only official blacklist I am aware of is if you fail a random or "for cause" drugs and alcohol test, in which case you are more than likely going to lose your job and you won't be able to work on the railway (at least safety critical) for I think 5 years.

While you may get sacked for something else, there is still the possibility of getting another job unless your record is really that dire. We (GBRf) have taken on drivers with SOL incidents on their record in the past.

TDK

Established Member
The only official blacklist I am aware of is if you fail a random or "for cause" drugs and alcohol test, in which case you are more than likely going to lose your job and you won't be able to work on the railway (at least safety critical) for I think 5 years.

While you may get sacked for something else, there is still the possibility of getting another job unless your record is really that dire. We (GBRf) have taken on drivers with SOL incidents on their record in the past.

There is most likely some sort of blacklist but this is not a list of people who should not be employed. If I was recruiting someone from a railway position to a position in my team I would certainly ask someone who knew the person if there are any valid reasons for not employing them and I would ask off the record.

455driver

Veteran Member
It's not just about screwing up if you get sacked on trumped up charges then you have had it
I know experience I passed all the drivers and guards tests that's 3 times I've sat guards test once since.
And no job interviews just get fobbed off
So it's true alright
Check out perry Webb blog about tpe !

And it's funny about thread labelled iilegal blacklist
How many posters 6.

Speaks volumes !
The 5 are current staff to my knowledge
So you see not wanting to be labelled a trouble maker or aswell as a mistake your gone
Unless your of the sucking up disposition fact unfortunately
Really hard jobs to get
Really easy to lose
It's if your face fits basically
So keep your down and mouth shut and never ever criticise your employer even if they are wrong as it could cost you your job.

If your a lying manager different story see Swt driver manager tribunal stuff on net
And see what he does now and his current employer speaks volumes fact.

Bet their is many posters on this thread either
Should answer your question.

I think this post shows perfectly why you didnt get an interview.
Just because you passed all the tests doesnt mean you passed everything because on the day the receptionist and staff are watching your every move.

Many years ago when I was down at Basingstoke recruitment centre I was talking to the receptionist about the recruitment process and she told me a story about a person that was there for a management position. His CV could have been written for the job and his interview technique was flawless. But he didnt get the job, simply because while he was waiting in reception he completely blanked all the other candidates to the point of ignorance. they want 'people' people and if you dont appear friendly/approachable then you wont get in.

There is more to the assessment day than the assessments! ;)

JB25

I think this post shows perfectly why you didnt get an interview.
Just because you passed all the tests doesnt mean you passed everything because on the day the receptionist and staff are watching your every move.

Many years ago when I was down at Basingstoke recruitment centre I was talking to the receptionist about the recruitment process and she told me a story about a person that was there for a management position. His CV could have been written for the job and his interview technique was flawless. But he didnt get the job, simply because while he was waiting in reception he completely blanked all the other candidates to the point of ignorance. they want 'people' people and if you dont appear friendly/approachable then you wont get in.

There is more to the assessment day than the assessments! ;)

Funny you mention that. On my driver assessment day there was a guy there who worked Gateline for SWTs (I won't mention which station). There was six of us on the day, five of us got chatty, having a joke between the sessions, but this guy turned up from the outset, not welcoming at all, barely even acknowledged the rest of us, was quite blunt when the assessor asked him to introduce himself to everyone.

Needless to say he didn't get through. It was almost like he came in with the thought that he already worked on the railway so he was going to walk it.

Established Member

Agree. Even when the ORR take sides over a safety issue.

FirstGroup - "If it's not safe," - DO IT ANYWAY :P

Daily Mirror.....

Attachments

• Blacklists.jpg
    Blacklists.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 83

broadgage

It seems to me that two issues are becoming confused here.
If an employee has been dissmised for significant safety problems such as being unfit through drink/drugs, then it is entirely proper that they should be "blacklisted" and banned from safety critical roles for many years or even for life.
The policy is probably called something a bit more PC than blacklisting, but that is what it is, and properly so when safety is involved.

On the other hand, if an employee has left or been dissmissed for a non safety related matter, such as persistant lateness, then they should not be blacklisted, but should be free to make a fresh start with another employer.

I doubt that any formal "blacklist" of "undesireable" potential employees exists, it would be against the law with serious penalties if discovered.
I have no doubt though that unoficial channels exist whereby one potential employer can find out what REALLY happened in an applicants previous employment.

No one with any sense is going to put in writing "dont employ ABC as he is a keen trade unionist and is a troublemaker"

If however a manager of one company met an old friend from another company at the golf club and said "ABC has applied for work with us" then his friend might say, strictly of the record "I would not take him on if I were you, caused us all sorts of grief"

Established Member
No one with any sense is going to put in writing "dont employ ABC as he is a keen trade unionist and is a troublemaker"

You'd be surprised the number of different train operating companies copied into cryptic emails from at least three TOC's HR staff. Perry Webb's site (mentioned above) has emails displaying direct collusion between East Coast Trains and First TPE; an email only disclosed when courts demanded it.

The entire point of the thread last month was to highlight the 20-30 former and current staff (that we know of) who held either Health & Safety / Union responsibility, perceived by their TOCs as troublemakers. In almost every case, staff had been subject to a long line of attempts, sometimes ridiculous, to dismiss them for trumped up or false charges.

Interestingly, last Christmas a clear simple statement from Ulrich Weber, the German Executive HR Director of DB International who stated that any of his UK HR employees found colluding with other rail companies to "produce or maintain any form of blacklist, official or not, will be dismissed immediately". Every respect to him for being the first to hold out an olive branch.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Funny you mention that. On my driver assessment day there was a guy there who worked Gateline for SWTs (I won't mention which station). There was six of us on the day, five of us got chatty, having a joke between the sessions, but this guy turned up from the outset, not welcoming at all, barely even acknowledged the rest of us, was quite blunt when the assessor asked him to introduce himself to everyone.

Needless to say he didn't get through. It was almost like he came in with the thought that he already worked on the railway so he was going to walk it.

When did you have your assessment? It nearly sounds like you've described me above as I used to work in that role for SWT, however I actually passed the assessments but failed at the DM interview and I'm sure I didn't blank other candidates although I'm shy! :| Also can't remember anyone being asked by the assessor to introduce themselves, I only had to take 1 test on the day as I had previously passed the others with another TOC.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
When did you have your assessment? It nearly sounds like you've described me above as I used to work in that role for SWT, however I actually passed the assessments but failed at the DM interview and I'm sure I didn't blank other candidates although I'm shy! :| Also can't remember anyone being asked by the assessor to introduce themselves, I only had to take 1 test on the day as I had previously passed the others with another TOC.

Regarding any assessments you are being assessed the minute you come into contact with any railway staff and also when waiting to be tested. Here is a scenario (and this is a true account). An assessor/interviewer is sitting in the waiting room when the 20 candidate arrive, the interviewer looks at them for appearance and attitude. One comes over to the assessor/interviewer thinking he is another candidate and asks "what's your plan today" the assessor replies "go with the flow" the candidates then says "I have this sewn up, it's easy, at interview just blag them with what you think they want to hear and to be honest they are only ex drivers who are not really qualified in interviewing, just tell them a load of crap and they will buy it, my mate got a job and he did this" the interviewer then looked the guy and said "you may be surprised" the look on this persons face when he entered the room and saw who the interviewer was!!!!! If you ask me, was this guy blacklisted, answer YES, did he ever have a chance of getting the job, NO, lesson to be learned OBVIOIS

JB25

Tell me when you had your assessment and I will say if mine was the same time! :lol: Awkward!!!

canman31

I had my drivers tests 18 months ago no interview.
Applied over 2 years ago.

Guards tests last year had a mock interview no problems as I've done the job before.
I've had lots of practice and I know what their after I'm very chatty and approachable.
Still didn't get the job.

What if you were sacked for just jumped up reasons cause. Manager didn't like you.
Being sacked is still Being sacked most train co don't want to know as its must have been something serious to get sacked depends what co and manager theirs alot of hatchet men you want to make a name for their selves.

I hope the other guys got the guards jobs the day I was their they were all good guys some railway some not.

Clip

Established Member
I had my drivers tests 18 months ago no interview.
Applied over 2 years ago.

Guards tests last year had a mock interview no problems as I've done the job before.
I've had lots of practice and I know what their after I'm very chatty and approachable.
Still didn't get the job.

What if you were sacked for just jumped up reasons cause. Manager didn't like you.
Being sacked is still Being sacked most train co don't want to know as its must have been something serious to get sacked depends what co and manager theirs alot of hatchet men you want to make a name for their selves.

I hope the other guys got the guards jobs the day I was their they were all good guys some railway some not.

I hope you dont write your applications like this or go into the interviews with the same attitude as quite frankly you come across as a very bitter man.

Yes, lots of hatchet men in the railway. Tons of them. In fact we employ 17 of them just to go round making up things about our staff just to get them sacked.

Oddly enough reading the thread earlier I thought of Urban Gateline right away when he mentioned SWT gateline staff - sorry man.

canman31

Point is it shouldn't be allowed lots of good people don't get the jobs because minor issues in the past but must have been good to get the job in the first place.

Also why do train co bother testing people if they have no intention of interviewing you.
Waste of time and money springs to mind and also gets the persons hopes up.
And also you get the issue later applying for other jobs why didn't co x take your application further immediately casts a cloud.

So in my opinion that starts the black cloud/blacklist issue.

Co thinks why didn't they give x a job ?.

I'm not bitter just I've taken a lot of time off work and lost a lot of money.
Completing the process.
And just get fobbed off and no straight answers from anyone.

And you can complain or you have had it.
So you have to look at the bigger picture.

I know a guy who changed his name and got back on proves the point about troublemakers, black lists etc
So it's not impossible but that's dis honest
So wouldn't condone but if it works.

canman31

I'm over it
The job I do now i don't have to impress anyone just do the job go home and I don't have to worry about bosses with other motives. Other staff back stabbing you points scoring.
So no I'm not.

But just proves the point about blacklists to not employ.

Beats working with nightmare guard from Bournemouth how's he keep his job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.