• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this the new Eurostar :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1Berske

Established Member
:?:

jTHg3.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crompton Karl

Id put damn good money on that it was - no other countries in the EU require Yellow ends if i am not mistaken.

neilm

Strange they built that train quickly, they are due until 2014. Maybe it is Deutsche Bahn channel tunnel sets, these were ordered first and would need the yellow front.

Crompton Karl

I also think its the new Eurostar as its very close colour scheme to the latest Eurostar house colours. I doubt DB would move away from the white & Red.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Id put damn good money on that it was - no other countries in the EU require Yellow ends if i am not mistaken.

Ireland and SNCB have adopted it as good practice...

But yes the caption to that picture on the original site was Velaro UK

IIRC the Velaro D (ICE4?) spent some time at Wildenwrath before unveiling. I suspect Siemens would rather throughly test the first one and iron out problems before the main production run

Fuzzy Logic

A slightly stupid (but relevant) question...what loading gauge is the tunnel? Is it full European loading gague. If so, would there be the possibility of seeing duplex sets when the 373's are life expired. Obviously this is still a while off, but I was just wondering...

Established Member
This is definitely a new Eurostar e320, it's the same design as the ICE-3NGs that DB will run through the tunnel on their own London - Germany services. They're both of the Siemens Velaro design. DB's are being/have been built first though as far as I can make out, as a few of theirs are already in service within Germany when Eurostar's first one is only being delivered.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
IIRC the Velaro D (ICE4?) spent some time at Wildenwrath before unveiling. I suspect Siemens would rather throughly test the first one and iron out problems before the main production run

ICE-3NG ;)

Siemens have been experiencing delays manufacturing them due to difficulties with a parts supplier (thankfully not as bad as the 172s though!) As well as Wildenrath they are also being tested on the main line, with one managing to achieve 352km/h on the Nürnberg - Ingolstadt high speed line. They've also been tested in France and approval is expected there in 2013, and in Belgium in 2014. (Information from German Wikipedia.)

starrymarkb

Established Member
A slightly stupid (but relevant) question...what loading gauge is the tunnel? Is it full European loading gague. If so, would there be the possibility of seeing duplex sets when the 373's are life expired. Obviously this is still a while off, but I was just wondering...

The Tunnel is much bigger then European gauge to allow trucks to be carried on a flat floor above the bogies. Shuttle wagons are IIRC 6m from rail to roof. The Shuttle Locos are UIC gauge so compare the size!

HS1 is standard European gauge (being a French style LGV in design), so should be able to take most European high speed stock (excepting ICE's 1 and 2 which are a little wider then UIC gauge so may need special clearance if anyone ever decided to try and run one which isn't going to happen!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They've also been tested in France and approval is expected there in 2013, and in Belgium in 2014. (Information from German Wikipedia.)

That will be the other reason for building the first set well in advance. They'll have to be passed for France, Belgium, UK, Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany if all the destinations talked about are going to be served

Last edited:

Established Member
Definately a new Eurostar E320 Velaro set.

Seen by many at Siemens Rail as their prestige contract at present.

brianthegiant

This is definitely a new Eurostar e320, it's the same design as the ICE-3NGs that DB will run through the tunnel on their own London - Germany services. They're both of the Siemens Velaro design. DB's are being/have been built first though as far as I can make out, as a few of theirs are already in service within Germany when Eurostar's first one is only being delivered.

Are the DB ICE-3NGs for the tunnel really being built before the E* ones? There were media reports about 6 months ago about delays to delivery of DBs ICEs for the tunnel which seemed to put the start date for DB STP-Koln etc services back after the E* STP-Koln etc. IIRC E* now starts late 2014 and DB 2015.
But maybe the E* start date has also been put back, and is still after DB.
Could also be that DB wants to use them elsewhere first & let E* figure out the teething problems of the new route..

Established Member
Are the DB ICE-3NGs for the tunnel really being built before the E* ones?

Well, more DB ones have been built than E* ones, with a few DB ones in service compared to only one E* one having been delivered. Although, DB aren't just going to use theirs in the tunnel, but also on Germany - France services on the new LGV Rhine-Rhône. Currently a few DB ones are in service on domestic runs, as they haven't been approved to run into France yet. Also of note is that one of the ICE-3NGs is to replace a damaged ICE-3M, and a 17th ICE-3NG is being built by Siemens free-of-charge to compensate for the production delays. This 17th one is/will be fitted with experimental three-phase synchronous drive traction equipment. (Information again from German Wikipedia page.)

jon0844

Veteran Member
A free train? if Bombardier built free trains every time there were production delays or quality control issues, the whole UK would have brand new trains now!

Established Member
A free train? if Bombardier built free trains every time there were production delays or quality control issues, the whole UK would have brand new trains now!

The 357s were delivered late and AdTranz built an extra, not one, but TWO units free of charge!

MCR247

Established Member

I believe Alstom gave SPT an extra 334? Or am I imagining reading that somewhere?

Jordy

Established Member
I think they may have provided extra 170(s) (the SPT ones?) because of the 334 delays, although that's from something I read a long time ago so I'm not 100% sure!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I believe Alstom gave SPT an extra 334? Or am I imagining reading that somewhere?
Wikipedia says that Alstom provided two additional 334s on top of the original order for 38 units as recompense for the delays to the trains entering service.

MCR247

Established Member
I think they may have provided extra 170(s) (the SPT ones?) because of the 334 delays, although that's from something I read a long time ago so I'm not 100% sure!

Made by two different people! :)

(bombardier 170s!)

Established Member
If Bombardier had provided extra 172s to compensate for late delivery then we'd have enough extra units to sort out the North's overcrowding permanently!

Pyromaniac

The 357s were delivered late and AdTranz built an extra, not one, but TWO units free of charge!

I was led to believe that was down to the massive amount of teething troubles during their introduction.

045 and 046 are the free ones...and led to the second batch being less, minus 229 and 230.

Cheers

PT

Mercutio

Will the Velaro e320s be able to travel at their designed service speed of 320 km/h on High Speed 1, or are the curves too tight, too much slower traffic, etc, so that they'll be limited to 300 km/h on our side of the Channel?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I believe they'll be limited to 186mph on HS1 as I believe that's the top speed of that line.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
are there any pictures around of the full set, rather than just the driving car?

Mercutio

starrymarkb

Established Member
I believe they'll be limited to 186mph on HS1 as I believe that's the top speed of that line.

I believe Ashford is probably the bottleneck on max speed with the 270km/h through the station, then with 230km/h west of Ebbsfleet I can't see much opportunity for 320km/h running. IIRC most of the curves were designed to allow for 320km/h

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah I've started to have some second thoughts about this as well, as 186mph is suspiciously similar to the top speed of Eurostars. It sounds like it might be that the speed could be raised to 320kph/200mph with little or no difficulty it's just that no one's bothered as nothing yet could use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.