• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jeremy Corbyn would consider women-only rail carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatfordCat

Has anyone posted this (image that's doing the rounds on tweeter) yet?

Edit - I'm sure, if Jeremy C had said "no" when the idea was put to him, the press would have spun it as "Corbyn snubs women safety campaigners" and so on...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Our eldest daughter was sexually assaulted on a class 378 two and a half years a go. In an ideal world I would like to see five car class 378's have a female only carriage late at night but I appreciate that given there are no guards on these services and very few if any BT Police officers it would be difficult to police.

Antman

Established Member
I think they are carried out by British Transport Police on behalf of FTPE. It is an office to enter the railway while intoxicated as a by-law and I think its illegal to be drunk and disorderly in a public place although this is not normally enforced if one is just walking home after a night out.

Whilst it is an offence to be drunk and disorderly I have never heard of any bye law about not entering railway premises when intoxicated. So if I have a swift half whilst waiting for my train should I be walking home?:oops:

Darren R

Established Member
Not to undermine this problem at all but am I the only one who has never seen any of this kind of behavior on a train???

I've never witnessed a murder or a car crash. That's hardly proof positive that such things don't happen.

Antman

Established Member
Not to undermine this problem at all but am I the only one who has never seen any of this kind of behavior on a train???

I regularly use trains in the London area in the evening and have never witnessed any serious disorder, in fact unruly school kids are often far more of a problem than drunks.

thenorthern

Established Member
Whilst it is an offence to be drunk and disorderly I have never heard of any bye law about not entering railway premises when intoxicated. So if I have a swift half whilst waiting for my train should I be walking home?:oops:

I don't know I am not the person who enforces the rules. :D

I think what BTP and FTPE mean by drunk and disorderly for the Barrow-in-Furness trains is when passengers are likely to be disruptive throughout the journey but its their rules not mine.

bnm

Established Member
A backward idea from a backward MP of a backward party.

The same applies to transport minister Claire Perry of the Conservatives presumably? She advocated the same thing at conference last year.

BestWestern

Established Member
The same applies to transport minister Claire Perry of the Conservatives presumably? She advocated the same thing at conference last year.

According to The Times today (guess where I've been sitting!) she has, amazingly, changed her mind completely now, and instead says:

"Our approach focuses on catching and punishing offenders, rather than segregating people and the raft of unintended consequences that would involve".

Quite some u-turn. I'm inclined to agree, however.

Fincra5

Established Member
Perhaps a guard on every train :)... or just more staff in general!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The Daily Mash are in on it too:

Rail companies unveil women-only rip-offs

RAIL companies have devised an incomprehensible new fare structure, specially for women.

The firms backed Jeremy Corbyn’s call to segregate the rail network, insisting it would empower women and keep everyone safely profitable.

A spokesman for the train operators said: “Women-only tickets will be classified as ‘safe’, ‘super-safe’, ‘budget safe’, ‘off-peak safe’ and ‘fractionally less peak safe’.

“Women will also have the chance to buy a standard ‘woman’ ticket, or a cheaper ‘plain woman’ one. It’s entirely up to them if they want to admit to being an unloved, childless frump.”

The spokesman added: “Prices will vary between £12 and £450 depending on some randomly selected criteria designed to confuse you and make you all emotional.

“We’ll also paint the carriages pink and put flowers on the tables, because you all like that sort of crap, don’t you?”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/rail-companies-unveil-women-only-rip-offs-20150827101514

6Gman

Established Member

Edit - I'm sure, if Jeremy C had said "no" when the idea was put to him, the press would have spun it as "Corbyn snubs women safety campaigners" and so on...

I am no fan of Corbyn, but his views on this have largely been misrepresented.

Mind you, I still think it's a bad idea at several levels!

Antman

Established Member
Perhaps a guard on every train :)... or just more staff in general!

Wouldn't most guards be in the back cab reading a paper? More BTP officers would help
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I rather doubt it, does anybody actually think it's a workable idea?

pinkpanther

Cool story: Trans people are not in fact a joke.

Nor just sexual fetish objects.

And the possibility of trans women being at increased risk of violence both in a women's only carriage (because some other woman decides that she ought to not be there) and a mixed carriage (because it is more male-dominated) is a serious problem to add to the list.

Thank you. It needed to be said, and you've saved me the task.

I look forward to tomorrow's headline:

"Burnham announces plans for women-only bandwagons."

Darren R

Established Member
According to The Times today (guess where I've been sitting!) she has, amazingly, changed her mind completely now, and instead says:

"Our approach focuses on catching and punishing offenders, rather than segregating people and the raft of unintended consequences that would involve".

Quite some u-turn. I'm inclined to agree, however.

It often amuses me that ordinary mortals change their minds quite regularly following further discussion and consideration, or new information. Uniquely, politicians aren't allowed to do that. Instead, they perform u-turns.

Jeremy Corbin made a suggestion for consideration. Amidst much hysteria and drivel about it being discriminatory (not having a go at you Bestwestern, by the way!), the suggestion has been shot down in flames. I suspect that, after mature consideration and reflection, Mr Corbin may well decide that the idea is not practicable and doesn't really address the wider problem. Having done so he may well change his mind - sorry, perform a humiliating u-turn!

Established Member
Just been showing Ladies only carriages on tonight's Mumbai Worlds busiest railway episode, clearly it wouldn't be realistic for a Northern 2 car sprinter service, but I suppose it might be possible on some commuter services out of London.

Last edited:

450.emu

I regularly use trains in the London area in the evening and have never witnessed any serious disorder, in fact unruly school kids are often far more of a problem than drunks.
A schoolkids only carriage - with free WiFi could be good, so they can continue Instagramming, Tweeting and whatever else :roll:

I can't see this (or re-nationalisation of the railway) ever materialising in the near future... I think Labour is finished if this clown wins the leadership :roll:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
A schoolkids only carriage - with free WiFi could be good, so they can continue Instagramming, Tweeting and whatever else :roll:

I can't see this (or re-nationalisation of the railway) ever materialising in the near future... I think Labour is finished if this clown wins the leadership :roll:

I concur, and sadly he is going to do just that.

thenorthern

Established Member

A child free coach now you are talking. :D

I get fed up of peoples "little angels" kicking the seats, playing on their gadgets with the bleaping sounds and crying because of some trivial reason while I think why the government still has summer holidays as many children and their parents for that matter can't read the words "Quiet Zone".

Sadly though it will never happen as the response is always "well you were young once".

Darren R

Established Member
...This isn't really a far comparion, since woman are more likely to be in part time and work in different type of jobs compared to men. What does this look like when comparing like for like?

Apologies for taking this a little off-topic, but coincidentally today I received a report from my professional governing body, following a comprehensive survey of members earlier this year. It has the following to say:

The gender pay gap is still very evident: the full-time male salary is 18% higher than the female equivalent.

Not really relevant to the thread though!

Groningen

Established Member
I sincerly hope that Corbyn in the UK and (Donald) Trump in the USA. Than we will never have a dull moment for the next 8 or more years. Maybe they will become friends. Problem is that Trump may never have seen a train in his life.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I sincerly hope that Corbyn in the UK and (Donald) Trump in the USA. Than we will never have a dull moment for the next 8 or more years. Maybe they will become friends. Problem is that Trump may never have seen a train in his life.

Trump being president would be hilarious for about two weeks, before becoming absolutely horrible. Much like Boris Johnson being PM here...

thenorthern

Established Member
If Trump was US president and Johnson was UK PM then I think net migration would be negative in both countries.

Donald Trump said if he was President he would build a fence along the United States - Mexico border and he would make Mexico pay for it. Now I understand how and why he would get Mexico to pay for it. :D

On a serious note I have noticed that Corbyn has now kept quiet about the issue so I think we can safely say now that plans for Women Only coaches will now have been dropped.

I reckon the Unions would have prevented women's only coaches arguing (quite rightly) that male members of staff would feel uncomfortable entering women's only coaches.

neilmc

Donald Trump said if he was President he would build a fence along the United States - Mexico border and he would make Mexico pay for it. Now I understand how and why he would get Mexico to pay for it. :D

On a serious note I have noticed that Corbyn has now kept quiet about the issue so I think we can safely say now that plans for Women Only coaches will now have been dropped.

I reckon the Unions would have prevented women's only coaches arguing (quite rightly) that male members of staff would feel uncomfortable entering women's only coaches.

When I was a young bus conductor we had a working to a girls' school in Seacroft, Leeds, and going upstairs to get the fares was a scary experience to put it mildly. I was offered plenty of things which weren't legal tender, in fact weren't legal at all.

thenorthern

Established Member
When I was a young bus conductor we had a working to a girls' school in Seacroft, Leeds, and going upstairs to get the fares was a scary experience to put it mildly. I was offered plenty of things which weren't legal tender, in fact weren't legal at all.

Its not just that, I would feel uncomfortable in a place that dosen't want me there even if I did have authorisation to enter. Also if there is an incident in there that I had to deal with would they listen to me or tell me to get out because I shouldn't be in there?

I reckon the whole segregated transport idea would be the thin end of a wedge and it wouldn't be long before feminists groups would start demanding that only female members of railway staff enter the designated coaches thus creating more problems.

HowardGWR

Established Member
For goodness sake, he hasn't dropped any plans, because he didn't have any. Don't folk read the news with a tiny pinch of discernment?

Darren R

Established Member
Its not just that, I would feel uncomfortable in a place that dosen't want me there even if I did have authorisation to enter. Also if there is an incident in there that I had to deal with would they listen to me or tell me to get out because I shouldn't be in there?

I reckon the whole segregated transport idea would be the thin end of a wedge and it wouldn't be long before feminists groups would start demanding that only female members of railway staff enter the designated coaches thus creating more problems.

Why on earth would a male member of staff feel uncomfortable being somewhere where his duties legitimately take him? Aren't (most) hospital wards (supposed to be) segregated these days? Are male doctors, porters, nurses, cleaners etc etc banned from female-only wards? Do they have to stand outside the ward waiting for a woman to turn up?

deltic

Established Member
For goodness sake, he hasn't dropped any plans, because he didn't have any. Don't folk read the news with a tiny pinch of discernment?

I find it amusing that there are 200+ comments on this topic most of which have missed this fairly basic point!

Status
Not open for further replies.