• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

JMB Travel

Bus Lightyear

Just an observation. JMB aren't exactly known for trying out new things. They tend to copy other operators routes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bus Lightyear

It was bad idea the 240, why would you go up to viewpark, heck coakley was the only other operator and well there have disappeared. JMB should have tried its luck at Motherwell - Chapelhall - Monklands service, new idea, better connection and the add bonus is Mcgills is like a wounded lion, so could have taken Chaplehall with little problem.
They wont go to Chapelhall or The Monklands. They'll go where there is money to be made like the Motherwell to Wishaw corridors.

smtglasgow

They wont go to Chapelhall or The Monklands. They'll go where there is money to be made like the Motherwell to Wishaw corridors.

Exactly. First’s 201, 240 and 266 (plus the 267 into Glasgow) are the big money-spinners in Lanarkshire. Tbh, having a go against the 240 to Viewpark probably looked good on paper. It’s obviously a profitable route for First, hence why did they defended it so vigorously. Coakley seemed keen on the 201 - although, like everything else they ran, it was never troubled with many passengers.

PaulMc7

Established Member
With Mcgills seemingly giving up Coatbridge completely now that they're withdrawing more services do you guys think JMB could move in and provide services there? First are pulling the 2 as well on the 18th of August so there's less competition

Bus Lightyear

With Mcgills seemingly giving up Coatbridge completely now that they're withdrawing more services do you guys think JMB could move in and provide services there? First are pulling the 2 as well on the 18th of August so there's less competition
Unlikely. As I've said before JMB prefer to copy other operators routes where they can make money.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Unlikely. As I've said before JMB prefer to copy other operators routes where they can make money.

Shame as well because there's definitely an opportunity there to make money if they can run a good service. Could even link it with their Motherwell services and open up a route that's different from First's 201

lastbus

Shame as well because there's definitely an opportunity there to make money if they can run a good service. Could even link it with their Motherwell services and open up a route that's different from First's 201
It’s more likely united will start something. Don’t rule out McGill’s taking it off in the hope SPT put it out to tender and they win it.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It’s more likely united will start something. Don’t rule out McGill’s taking it off in the hope SPT put it out to tender and they win it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did that tbh since they've done it before and only just gave up some of the services to other operators

overthewater

Established Member
United has two spare disks so will cover 216. Chaplehall will be unclear for now.

However I agree Monklands - Chaplehall - Holytown - Motherwell route could work. Some out of the box ideas needing to be looked at.

PaulMc7

Established Member
United has two spare disks so will cover 216. Chaplehall will be unclear for now.

However I agree Monklands - Chaplehall - Holytown - Motherwell route could work. Some out of the box ideas needing to be looked at.

Yeah there seems to be a lack of will to try new things and use imagination among bus companies in Glasgow and Lanarkshire at the minute

lastbus

Yeah there seems to be a lack of will to try new things and use imagination among bus companies in Glasgow and Lanarkshire at the minute
Mainly because they can’t afford to lose the money if it doesn’t work just look at JMB with the 240

PaulMc7

Established Member
That was always destined to fail tbh. The 240 has had that route for so long so it's familiar for the people that use it. Even First and Mcgills only seen set on cutting as much as possible so there will probably be more opportunity for smaller companies

Bus Lightyear

It didn't work for three previous operators

smtglasgow

This is the sort of link that *might* work given long enough, but I can’t think of a company that would be willing to give it a go. None of the wee companies can afford to sit tight for 6-12 months while you build a service up. It’s an obvious missing link, but the various indies in Monklands have trashed bus services so much over the last 20+ years that anyone needing to do the journey for work has bought a car years ago.

Bus Lightyear

Who were the other two operators over the past 20 years? Old first service went via calderbank. Im sure coakley went via newarthill.
I'm sure another Lanarkshire operator tried a service in that area, maybe Henderson Travel.

The problem is that some or possibly most of Airdrie and Coatbridge and the surrounding villages like Chapelhall and Caldercruix just isn't a good enough bus market and that's mainly down to the decline of both town centres and it's been going that way for 20+ years.

lastbus

There is already a Holytown to airdrie bus

overthewater

Established Member
There is already a Holytown to airdrie bus
SPT 248 which is just meh service :D

I'm sure another Lanarkshire operator tried a service in that area, maybe Henderson Travel.

The problem is that some or possibly most of Airdrie and Coatbridge and the surrounding villages like Chapelhall and Caldercruix just isn't a good enough bus market and that's mainly down to the decline of both town centres and it's been going that way for 20+ years.

I dont remember anyone else bar short lived Coakley service. JJ travel did try Cleland - Newarthill - Monklands service.

There is the Hospital, Three Business park, new colleges, Ravenscraig. Plenty of new opportunities if done right. There is no demand where two services meet?

lastbus

SPT 248 which is just meh service :D

I dont remember anyone else bar short lived Coakley service. JJ travel did try Cleland - Newarthill - Monklands service.

There is the Hospital, Three Business park, new colleges, Ravenscraig. Plenty of new opportunities if done right. There is no demand where two services meet?
The fact it’s an SPT service probably suggests the demand is not there. I would expect someone to replace the chapelhall - Airdrie route McGill’s are taking off though

overthewater

Established Member
248 does not go to Motherwell. Im surprised First does not merge 242 and 202 together, and give it a try.

lastbus

That would be worth a go tbh. Could even miss out maxim park during the off peak with that too
First are only operating the 202 because they get paid to do so I can’t see them trying anything new with uncertainty surrounding them just now.

PaulMc7

Established Member
First are only operating the 202 because they get paid to do so I can’t see them trying anything new with uncertainty surrounding them just now.

Yeah I doubt anything new will come out of First until the sale is done

56 timetable now on traveline with the frequency now every 12 minutes Monday to Fridays with Saturday still every 20 minutes

NorthClyde320

I wonder if the 56 will be revised back to every 15 mins following First's 266 going from 12 to 15 mins after the holidays, it seems to be a case of one copying the other on that route lol.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wonder if the 56 will be revised back to every 15 mins following First's 266 going from 12 to 15 mins after the holidays, it seems to be a case of one copying the other on that route lol.

I personally feel like both companies are so aware of each other now when competing for that route that they're scared to be different from the other company

lastbus

I personally feel like both companies are so aware of each other now when competing for that route that they're scared to be different from the other company
Tbh I don’t get why they fight so hard over Shotts neither company gets great numbers from there. I would terminate the 266 at allanton as bonkle is the busy part for the shotts route

PaulMc7

Established Member
Tbh I don’t get why they fight so hard over Shotts neither company gets great numbers from there. I would terminate the 266 at allanton as bonkle is the busy part for the shotts route

Yeah I've only ever been on it twice to Shotts and I noticed that. Think I was one of the only few on it by the time it was passed Allanton