• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Letter Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for letting us know and I'm pleased it worked out for you. In comparison to other outcomes we are aware of you seem to have done quite well, but at the end of the day it's learning the lesson that counts. I can pretty much guarantee that the outcome will be very different were you ever to make the same mistake again - but I know you know that already.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
After that, I recieved a letter with a 30 pound fine for administrative costs, and then an additional few pounds for the actual train fare with no criminal record....I was grateful with my still quite hefty fine, but I know it could have been much worse.

Can you confirm this is thirty and not eighty? Just to help us know what Northern are doing.

I dealt with a chap on here who was asked to settle out of court for £1500 (which he did) so you are incredibly lucky.

wintonian

Established Member
Hmm it makes me wonder whether Northern really wanted to prosecute in this case, but either way I wouldn't want to second guess them as that could be (or have been) a costly mistake.

Established Member

As the second link mentions 16-19 year olds in full time college or six form education can get a TfGM Scholars Permit. It used to allow concessionary fare travel between home and college (80p when I was attending) on buses,trains or trams and cover all the areas of the system one network including the places outside Greater Manchester, however it is now only available for travel within Greater Manchester and there is no mention of what the reduced fare is that is charged now.

TfGM Scholars Permit

TfGM Application Forms

The permit costs £5.00

Last edited:

utopiank

Can you confirm this is thirty and not eighty? Just to help us know what Northern are doing.

I dealt with a chap on here who was asked to settle out of court for £1500 (which he did) so you are incredibly lucky.

Yes I can confirm thirty one pounds eighty as the fine. Me and both my friends who recieved the same punishment feel ourselves very lucky, i'd like to thank everyone on the board who offered kind words and advice to me :)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I'm pleased to hear that this result was not just your conclusion, but was the same for those travelling with you. Very pleased!
I hope you'll now be able to get on with your life without this burden hanging over you any longer.

But I will comment on this other member's puzzling post:

How can that difference (between £30 and £1500) possibly be attributed to 'luck'? Where does randomness and good fortune find their way into skilled litigation and negotiation? And what is the connection between that view of luck / chance and the OP's dispute?

Fare-Cop

A settlement figure of £1500 suggests recovery of unpaid, or avoided fares over an extended period of time.

I suggest that chap was the one who was incredibly lucky.

Ferret

Established Member
A settlement figure of £1500 suggests recovery of unpaid, or avoided fares over an extended period of time.

I suggest that chap was the one who was incredibly lucky.

I imagine that to end up paying 1500 quid, it involved season ticket fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.