• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lines That Should Have Been Saved For Preservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day all,

Well I think the title is pretty self explanatory! My own suggestion would be Ashbourne to Hartington in Derbyshire. Unlike the Cromford and High Peak the line could accomodate carriages and Ashbourne and Hartington are very popular with day trippers.

Your contributions would be very welcome!

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think the Meon Valley would have been a good one - instead of the Mid Hants, which should have been NSE !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, I suppose it would depend on how much they decided to preserve, but the original route went from just south of Alton to a junction on the Eastleigh - Fareham line, not far North of Fareham.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Holmfirth branch! Though it'd probably have some ridiculous name like 'The Summer Wine Railway' or 'Compo's Kettles' :lol:

Yeah. can you imagine if the viaduct had lasted long enough to be contemporary with the TV series ! Would have been a nice little hook :)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The Holmfirth branch! Though it'd probably have some ridiculous name like 'The Summer Wine Railway' or 'Compo's Kettles' :lol:

Thats a damn good shout! Where would it have run from? Not to mention that the Tour de France runs through Holmfirth next summer. Oh what a missed opportunity!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ideally the station building at Brockholes wouldn't have been sold off- then when the Penistone line (I hesitate to call it the 'mainline' even though it once was!) was singled in the 1980s, BR would have retained the now disused platform. The preserved line would use the one currently in use, with a few sidings provided in the apex of the junction (the main sheds would probably need to be at Holmfirth) on the site now occupied by housing. If the branch was preserved, there'd surely be a case for operating peak services through to Huddersfield, rolling stock and platform space at Huddersfield permitting!

12CSVT

Established Member
Part of the Waverley route from Edinburgh to Carlisle was mooted for possible preservation when it closed in 1969.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Scarborough <> Whitby.

(With huge respect for the NYMR, and speaking as a member of same) I'd always have preferred if the original preservation society had gone for the coast route.

Polarbear

Established Member
Although the Manifold Trail from Waterhouses to Hulme End in Derbyshire/Staffordshire is a lovely walk, it would be a fantastic line to have preserved.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The Westerham branch was close to being saved in the 60's. Would have been great with a main line connection at Dunton Green. Sadly most of the line is under the M25/26 now.

D107

My choices would be the Wye Valley line from Chepstow, through Tintern and up to Monmouth. It's closure was criminal as the area is outstanding. It was mooted again recently but all quiet now.

Otherwise, on a smaller level, the line from Pyle into Porthcawl. Porthcawl is a seaside resort sorely missing its old station and a preserved line would be guaranteed a good response especially if it formed part of a "park and ride" scheme to alleviate the parking issues.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Maiden Newton to Bridport Harbour would have been a storming choice for preservation.

I suppose all the south west coastal closed branches would now be seen as an immense tourist asset.

lancastrian

My personal choice would have been the old West Lancashire line from Preston to Southport. It could have terminated at Southport in the old excursion platforms and after the closure of the old East Lancashire route into Preston, it could have terminated in the East Lancashire platforms in Preston Station. Also the added bonus if it took over the line to Todd Lane Junction and Lostock Hall. with a slight diversion of the Line around the back of the Shed, Lostock Hall Locomotive Sheds would have been ideal as the main depot for the services on this line. A pipe dream I know, but this was where I grew up and I still miss the West Lancashire route.

The Formartine and Buchan line to the north of Ellon is what I would have kept for this purpose. If NR ever restore a rail service to the likes of Peterhead and Fraserburgh(don't see this ever happening,sadly), I just cannot see them reopening this rather long winded path to Peterhead.

Mind you, if it wasn't for the excellent job being done by the Royal Deeside Railway group just now, I would probably been more inclined to vote for this. Don't want to be seen treading on anyone else's toes!

JohnCarlson

Scarborough <> Whitby.

(With huge respect for the NYMR, and speaking as a member of same) I'd always have preferred if the original preservation society had gone for the coast route.

Indeed. But with hindsight the York Whitby line would have been kept open by BR. But then again so might the whole Saltburn to Scarborough line.

John
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Rest of the railway lines on the Isle Of Wight.

Well maybe not all of them but much more certainly.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But then again so might the whole Saltburn to Scarborough line.

As much as I would have loved to see that (would have made getting home from Uni easier as I could have done Hull to Redcar via the coast) I'm not sure the line between Saltburn and Whitby would have been viable. The population densities down there are quite low so outside of the summer usage would be limited but more importantly it was always a maintenance nightmare. Indeed it was one of the routes that BR closed on its own rather than being a Beeching closure.

Still it would have been wonderful if it had survived.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wonder if more of the old M&GN would have made a good preservation project. Start at Yarmouth Beach in the heart of holiday territory then you have unlimited expansion potential taking in a few other coastal resorts and minimal structures to maintain.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Scarborough <> Whitby.

I'd have to second that, having ridden along it by bike a couple of times, it is clear that it would have been a really dramatic line scenery-wise!

HowardGWR

Established Member
I'd have to second that, having ridden along it by bike a couple of times, it is clear that it would have been a really dramatic line scenery-wise!
Regarding the point made about the cost of the Saltburn to Scarborough line, as a preservation line, most of that labour comes free, as well as operating costs are covered by volunteers. Only marketing and management costs are permitted (necessitated?) by most preservation lines.

Gwenllian2001

My choices would be the Wye Valley line from Chepstow, through Tintern and up to Monmouth. It's closure was criminal as the area is outstanding. It was mooted again recently but all quiet now.

Otherwise, on a smaller level, the line from Pyle into Porthcawl. Porthcawl is a seaside resort sorely missing its old station and a preserved line would be guaranteed a good response especially if it formed part of a "park and ride" scheme to alleviate the parking issues.

The Wye Valley line was beautiful and would still be a lovely preservation prospect. Porthcawl should have remained as part of the network and was closed under very dubious circumstances.

kylemore

The "Heads of Ayr" line (closed long before Beeching) would have made an absolutely spectacular Preserved line. Having walked along part of the still surviving trackbed the elevated views over the Firth of Clyde to Arran are amazing - even the West Highland would be hard put to beat those views.

Sidious

How about the Fowey branch? The track is aleady there and didn't BR run a summer only service in the early1990s one year?
I believe the station was demolished, and the China Clay workings actuallygo to Carne Point which is out of the town on the river, but I would be interested to hear from someone with greater local knowledge?

12CSVT

Established Member
How about the Fowey branch? The track is aleady there and didn't BR run a summer only service in the early1990s one year?

Would present day Health & Safety allow passenger trains over the weighbridge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.