• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

List of normal diversion routes used by EC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Does anyone have a list of routes where East Coast and their predecessors have diverted in the past, either as a one off or a regular diversion route. E.g.

- via Carlisle when north of Newcastle is shut.
- Durham Coast
- Stillington branch etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There's the Joint Line between Peterborough and Doncaster via Lincoln, that seems to have been used quite a lot in recent times.

Aictos

Established Member
East Coast drivers from Kings Cross depot are currently route refreshing Kings Cross to Peterborough via Ely in both directions - only on Fridays though.

I'm aware south of Doncaster that Inter-City East Coast has diverted via over the following routes:

Alexandra Palace to Stevenage via Hertford North
Peterborough to Doncaster via Lincoln
Grantham to Peterborough via Sleaford
Peterborough to Stevenage via Ely

I'm not too sure north of Doncaster but I do know that for the past few years, they've run HSTs between Newcastle and Edinburgh via Carlisle and the Tyne Valley.

David Goddard

Established Member
From PSUL:

Ferrybridge North Junction - Knottingley West Junction (26) YE01
Diversionary use only
SUNDAY TO FRIDAY NIGHTS: 2200 SX Kings Cross - Newcastle

Shaftholme Junction - Knottingley West Junction (26) YA03
SUNDAY TO FRIDAY NIGHTS: 2200 SX Kings Cross - Newcastle
2235 SuO, 2330 SSuX Kings Cross - Leeds

Calder Bridge Junction - Turners Lane Junction (26,31) YE05
SUNDAY TO FRIDAY NIGHTS: 2235 SuO, 2330 SSuX Kings Cross - Leeds

Loversall Carr Junction - Doncaster Flyover West Junction (Down line) (26) YA03
1108 SSuX Kings Cross - York (to be overtaken by 1123 Kings Cross - Sunderland)

Aictos

Established Member
I'm quite sure the OP is fully aware that there is another forum which answers their question, click here ;)

rail-britain

Established Member
When I worked at InterCity East Coast :
Newcastle - York, via Eaglescliffe (not certified) using Regional Railways staff (driver and guard)
Would often stop at Eaglescliffe for change of staff, travelling to/from Darlington

Dundee - Edinburgh, via Perth and Stirling (partially certified) using ScotRail staff between Dundee and Perth (guard only) *

Dundee - Edinburgh, via Dunfermline (fully certified)

At the time the Inverness - Kings Cross was staffed by ScotRail staff between Inverness and Edinburgh
Therefore there wasn't much of an issue if this had to be diverted via Aberdeen

* This was odd as some InterCity East Coast staff based at Aberdeen had route certification for Aberdeen - Glasgow QS
However even if one of these staff was rostered it was assumed otherwise and that an Edinburgh based member of staff was rostered (not certified Dundee - Perth)

Zoe

Established Member
So East Coast would not run from Edinburgh to Glasgow via any alternative routes?

rail-britain

Established Member
So East Coast would not run from Edinburgh to Glasgow via any alternative routes?
The normal route is via Carstairs
However they used to run via Shotts (HST), if necessary and had already been planned, otherwise not run at all between Edinburgh and Glasgow (Class 91)

Before I worked at InterCity East Coast, a HST got trapped at Glasgow QS (around 1989), having worked the morning Edinburgh - Glasgow QS, to then work the Glasgow QS - Kings Cross
The line had become blocked at Winchburgh, and the other ScotRail Express sets were running a shuttle service between Falkirk High and Glasgow QS
However the HST had to travel to Perth, Ladybank (at the time unused for passenger services), and Forth Bridge
Apparently it caused some confusion at Perth as it arrived from the south, the station staff were expecting the Inverness service approaching from the north!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Doncaster to Leeds via Hambleton Junction (avoiding Wakefield)

Welshman

Established Member
You did say "East Coast and their predecessors"-

I remember reading that in 1948, the East Coast line was breached north of Berwick by severe flooding, and some trains were diverted via St Boswells and Coldstream to Tweedmouth Junction, and then the usual route south.

Certainly a "one-off" which of couse could not be done today. Co-incidentally, 1948 also saw London host the Olympics!

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Has any service been diverted from Peterborough to Doncaster via Melton Mowbray, Toton, Chesterfield & Beighton Junction using HSTs?

12CSVT

Established Member
Has any service been diverted from Peterborough to Doncaster via Melton Mowbray, Toton, Chesterfield & Beighton Junction using HSTs?

This happened on Easter Sunday 1993. They were running Kings Cross - Doncaster HSTs, with the 91s only running north of Doncaster.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
This happened on Easter Sunday 1993. They were running Kings Cross - Doncaster HSTs, with the 91s only running north of Doncaster.

There's always one! ;)

A different world then though, with the ability to draw on traction and route knowledge from any depot nationwide.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I guess these days East Coast would have to give their drivers Route Learning trips between Edinburgh & Glasgow on diversionary routes, this is probably not cost effective knowing the reduction of through services from London.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
The other issue with diversions, is that the driver's knowledge has to be maintained. The route has to traversed every sixth months. That either means booking a service over them on a regular basis, with enough frequency to ensure every driuver will get to work it, or providing route refreshing shifts. Both cost, and the general public might not be too impressed with the former option.

12CSVT

Established Member
Do the class 67 drags use DBS drivers ?

Also don't they use pilotmen whenever a traincrew is on a route they don't sign for ? (This was the case under B.R.).

Whistler40145

Established Member
Not sure on that.

I would have thought the 67 would use a DBS Driver, unless East Coast Drivers sign 67s. I always thought the East Coast Driver rides on the dead 91/DVT.

I hope someone can clarify this.

Martin_1981

At the time of the Hatfield derailment in October 2000 when the ECML was closed for several days between Hatfield and Kings X, I vividly recall some GNER HST services (presumably the Inverness, Aberdeen and Hull services)being diverted from Doncaster down the MML via Leicester and into St Pancras.

A-driver

Established Member
East coast drivers do sign 67s. Not sure about other depots but the top link at kings cross is known as the thunderbird link as they do little mainline driving and lots of ferrying to bowes park and have the standby turns which are manning the 67 incase it's needed. it's basically a retirement link! As far as I know no other companies drive east coast trains. I am pretty sure it's the same with virgin but not 100%.

Generally companies won't use pilots/route conductors as its expensive (paying the other company) and causes problems with responsibility in incidents. Also varying driving policies don't help. East coast tend to sign routes as and when they need them for planned diversions. They were learning the cambridge branch around the new year for the planned weekend diversions which happened this spring. Conductors tend only to be used in an emergancy.

It's different within the same companies-when I was at southern I once conducted a Brighton driver in a 442 on the crystal palace line for a planned weekend engineering diversion as I didnt sign 442s and he coastal drivers don't sign the suburban roads.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Are the following routes signed or have been signed by East Coast Drivers?

Doncaster-Hare Park Jn-Milford Jn-Colton Jn-York

Retford-Brancliffe East Jn-Firbeck Jn-St Catherine's Jn-Doncaster

D6975

Established Member
I was diverted Doncaster-Newark via Lincoln avoider in Aug 2010.

Aictos

Established Member
I know that Edinburgh depot signs the Class 67, HSTs and the Class 91s.

Established Member
Looks like there are diverts via Carlisle in September, with some 67 drags as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.