• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime St remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw-sparks

It's probably a dumb question, but do we know what the situation will be at the end of October? Which of the changes will be completed in this first blockade?
Resignalling and control from Ashburys? I think yes.
Closure of P1 ?
Two new platforms ?

And while I'm asking, will we get four operational tracks at Huyton?

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
I appreciate phase one of the Lime Street work hasn't started on the ground as yet (other than some preliminary works), but does anyone have any idea when phase 2 is likely to be scheduled?

I would imagine a good time would be around Easter, which next year is Friday 30 March & Monday 2 April.

fowler9

Established Member
I appreciate phase one of the Lime Street work hasn't started on the ground as yet (other than some preliminary works), but does anyone have any idea when phase 2 is likely to be scheduled?

I would imagine a good time would be around Easter, which next year is Friday 30 March & Monday 2 April.

I don't know you know. Some pretty significant work is already well underway between platforms 7 & 8.

driver_m

Established Member
Phase one has started in a way as there's a lot of overhead stanchion clips installed in the cutting outside the station. Plus one or two new bits of OLE from the wall collapse incident. The old turntable area has a stack of spoil regularly dumped from between 7&8. There's also something being dug up on Edge Hill pl3&4.

Both lines into the station now have brand new LED signals to bring you in too. A bit further out and more connected with the resignalling, a lot of exposed cable troughing has been put in at Runcorn. No signal bases as yet that I could see but I'd guess not far off.

Last edited:

playboy81

Where is the Virgin Trains ticket office and first class lounge currently situated? Does anyone have any photos of the progress being made with the new tracks and platforms between current platforms 7 and 8??

Has any work begun on stripping out the old Coopers pub and Burger King unit?

Last edited:

AntoniC

The Virgin Office & First Class Lounge is now opposite where it used to be.

(Its now under the big clock).

Burger King & Coopers are still there, a row of seats have been placed in front of the entrance to Burger King.

I was at Lime St last week.

8A Rail

Established Member
The Virgin Office & First Class Lounge is now opposite where it used to be.
(Its now under the big clock).
Burger King & Coopers are still there, a row of seats have been placed in front of the entrance to Burger King.
I was at Lime St last week.
Also rows of seats near the side entrance by Platform Nine too.

fowler9

Established Member
It's supposedly going to be the permanent home for the VT platform staff. That's what they've heard.

The whole block? There must be about 3 or 4 Virgin Trains platform staff at any one time. Do they need the whole of that old Burger King and White Star?

driver_m

Established Member
The whole block? There must be about 3 or 4 Virgin Trains platform staff at any one time. Do they need the whole of that old Burger King and White Star?

First class lounge as well don't forget.

Urban-Savage

Just been at Lime Street, amazed at progress, new platforms virtually now carved out and seemingly not far of ready for work to start on making them into proper platform edges.

M28361M

Merseyrail have finally got around to providing info on their timetable changes, now available on their website.

In summary:
  • Bus replacement between Hunts Cross and Liverpool South Parkway.
  • Ormskirk and Kirkby line services terminate at Moorfields until 20:00, running forward empty to Central to reverse.
  • Extra early morning and late night trains between Liverpool South Parkway and Liverpool Central (looks like they have made normally ECS moves into passenger services).
  • Southport services retimed slightly between LPY and LVC.
  • On Sundays, additional non-stop services between LPY and LVC to give 4tph frequency.

Will be 'interesting' if another RMT strike takes place while this closure is going on!

stuart100100

Merseyrail have finally got around to providing info on their timetable changes, now available on their website.

In summary:
  • Bus replacement between Hunts Cross and Liverpool South Parkway.
  • Ormskirk and Kirkby line services terminate at Moorfields until 20:00, running forward empty to Central to reverse.
  • Extra early morning and late night trains between Liverpool South Parkway and Liverpool Central (looks like they have made normally ECS moves into passenger services).
  • Southport services retimed slightly between LPY and LVC.
  • On Sundays, additional non-stop services between LPY and LVC to give 4tph frequency.

Will be 'interesting' if another RMT strike takes place while this closure is going on!

The Ellesmere Port branch gets the raw deal again being reduced to a shuttle to Hooton for most of the day

fowler9

Established Member
The Ellesmere Port branch gets the raw deal again being reduced to a shuttle to Hooton for most of the day

Why is the Ellesmere Port Branch getting a shuttle for the Lime Street Closure. West Allerton is getting a bus for a month, Ellesmere Port isn't even effected by the closure.

Polarbear

Established Member
Why is the Ellesmere Port Branch getting a shuttle for the Lime Street Closure. West Allerton is getting a bus for a month, Ellesmere Port isn't even effected by the closure.

I would assume it's because Merseyrail want to have as many 6 car sets on routes such as South Parkway to Liverpool/Southport, and Liverpool - Chester as alternatives.

Maybe they should have taken on some of the former South Eastern 508's when they had the chance?

Green Lane

I would assume it's because Merseyrail want to have as many 6 car sets on routes such as South Parkway to Liverpool/Southport, and Liverpool - Chester as alternatives.

Maybe they should have taken on some of the former South Eastern 508's when they had the chance?

Indeed, it is mentioned here
https://www.merseyrail.org/lime-street-upgrade/travelling-on-the-wirral-line.aspx

Due to train unit availability across the network, a reduced rail service will run on the Ellesmere Port line...

fowler9

Established Member

Sorry, of course, that would make sense.

daikilo

Established Member
Anyone know if the Hooton - Ellesmere Port will be an EMU or a borrowed DMU or even LHCS (I dream of course)?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Anyone know if the Hooton - Ellesmere Port will be an EMU or a borrowed DMU or even LHCS?

Always an EMU.
Merseyrail don't do anything else.
It just saves a couple of EMUs for other work (and reduces Hooton-Liverpool to the 4tph Chester trains).

Status
Not open for further replies.