• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
Is this for the 10.30 departure and Launch?

It was for the 10:30 departure and has just arrived at Peterborough with the same minimal branding changes as seen in post #145. Not sure what sort of launch there was beforehand though.

This was 91105 on that 10:30 departure.
Dghms0wXcAAKM2C.jpg

https://twitter.com/Modern_Railways/status/1011171052989353984

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mpthomson

Depends what has been included in the project costs - if it meant registration of LNER as a trademark and various other things then it soon mounts up.

There will be all the posters up and down the network, the station signage etc. Now whilst posters would usually be updated at regular intervals, to do all on one day may have been bundled together into a 'one off' start up cost under the 'rebrand' heading.

To put some context - to vinyl wrap an average car or van is circa £ 1500. Assume that's a similar to the scale of what's being done for LNER on start up - you've got 31 x 91s = c £ 50k, approx 300 x Mk4 coaches = £ 450k, 30 x DVTs = £ 45k, 32 x HST power cars = £ 48k, 117 x Mk3 coaches £ 175k - Grand total of £ 768k just to do the vehicles.

Wrapping a car or van isn't even nearly comparable in terms of extrapolating costs. The trade costs of these vinyls to LNER will be far lower than for one offs for retail punters and as they've only removed or covered up the Virgin brand and replaced with LNER using their own staff to do the work that won't have cost much either in the grand scheme of things.

CosherB

Established Member
It's also hard to tell in the picture from post #145 or the one i've posted above, but the red is different on the new LNER vinyl/sticker as well. It can be seen more clearly in this picture (not mine). https://www.flickr.com/photos/steam60163/42947994652/in/photolist-28raGwq-278Cjzz

It's not something that bothers me, but some like to get into a froth over that sort of thing. :lol:
It maybe a case that the original vinyl has faded slightly (already!) hence the slight difference in shade of red.

pdeaves

Established Member
It maybe a case that the original vinyl has faded slightly (already!) hence the slight difference in shade of red.
Red always seems to fade quickest. There are numerous road signs in the area I frequent where the red triangle or circle has faded almost to white. Blue, it seems, fades slowest (hence there is an old roadside advert I pass nearly every day that appears to be monochrome blue!).

On Moderation
Depends what has been included in the project costs - if it meant registration of LNER as a trademark and various other things then it soon mounts up.

There will be all the posters up and down the network, the station signage etc. Now whilst posters would usually be updated at regular intervals, to do all on one day may have been bundled together into a 'one off' start up cost under the 'rebrand' heading.

To put some context - to vinyl wrap an average car or van is circa £ 1500. Assume that's a similar to the scale of what's being done for LNER on start up - you've got 31 x 91s = c £ 50k, approx 300 x Mk4 coaches = £ 450k, 30 x DVTs = £ 45k, 32 x HST power cars = £ 48k, 117 x Mk3 coaches £ 175k - Grand total of £ 768k just to do the vehicles.
Only the power cars, Class 91s and DVTs have the Virgin logo on externally. Mark 3 and Mark 4 coaches are not Virgin branded externally.

mallard

Established Member
Red always seems to fade quickest. There are numerous road signs in the area I frequent where the red triangle or circle has faded almost to white. Blue, it seems, fades slowest (hence there is an old roadside advert I pass nearly every day that appears to be monochrome blue!).

The physicist in me suspects that's due to the wavelengths (and thus relavtive energy levels) of the colours... If we pretend that the paint/ink/dye is a perfect reflector of a particular wavelength of red light and a perfect absorber of all other wavelengths, then it's reflecting only the lowest energy light (red being at the low end of the spectrum) and absorbing the rest. For blue, the situation is the opposite, it's reflecting the highest energy light (blue/violet being at the high end of the spectrum) and absorbing the rest. Energy that's absorbed must go somewhere (thermodynamics), most is converted to heat, but some of that energy will be absorbed by breaking down the paint/ink/dye.

However, the difference in energy isn't that great. Red light is around half as energetic as blue, so there's probably other effects involved, such as the relative stability of the chemical compounds used to give the paint/dye/ink its colour.

Established Member
Glad to see they have just done minimal branding changes on trains that will be getting the boot shortly

mallard

Established Member

As pointed out when a better picture was posted by @MonsooN, the final livery is unlikely to have the windows covered by a grey vinyl. Even if it's the horrible vinyl mesh that marketeers like to pretend doesn't affect the view out of the window (it very much does). Such things should be banned on accessibility grounds (people who are hard of hearing have a particular need to see out in order to know where they are, since they can't hear the annoucements; not that they're easily intelligable by people with good hearding much of the time either).

Also, there's no way that dazzle camouflage over the door is even close to meeting the "contrasting doors" requirement.

Last edited:

Established Member
It's a picture which has been shared internally and we have been asked not to share it until the launch.

No doubt someone somewhere will share it, but it won't be me

Is nothing to adventurous, grey and red.

ash39

Established Member
Still hideous. What's going on with the curve at the front? Suddenly widens at the bottom of the lights for no good reason.

I also can't get my head around the colour pallete. Both the LNER website and new station signage suggests dark grey and red, which is quite nice. So why are they proposing a livery which is predominantly white with a light (not dark) grey, and two shades of red on the window band.

Then you've got the tacky, overbranded 'Azuma' motifs all over it. Overall, a mess.

I don't like the weird Z. It looks childish.
The curves make it look like an ugly version of a bird.

If we are to have permanent brands, I like the idea of using the pre-grouping companies' names for regional franchises & the Big Four names for the intercity franchises. I also think that it should be colour coded such that
West Coast = Red
East Coast = Blue
So this line ought to have a blue livery.

JordyWM

I think the Azuma name fitted in with the Virgin brand and style, but it doesn’t suit LNER for some reason.

In terms of livery and styling compared to VTEC, it’s a step backward.

59CosG95

Established Member
My penn'orth on the LNER Azuma livery is that it looks somewhat like a cross between InterCity Swallow and the white/red livery used by DB Fernverkehr on their ICE sets.
I quite like it, but I have to agree with most on here - the level of branding they've done with the "Azuma" element of it seems overkill, if not downright unseemly.

DenmarkRail

I wonder what livery the 91 sets will get when / if they stay with LNER (as in the 6 or so planned to stay).

On that note, what will they be branded as? I’m guessing they’ll then named like the Nova series of trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.