• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locked in at Blackburn Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

joke2711

Sounds like they went through the process I would expect. I am not overwhelmingly surprised that there was no response from other staff (with no knowledge) at 0030-0100. The exception would be the staff member who locked up but any number of reasons why they might not reply (driving, finished shift so no-longer answering, phone switched off, or actively avoiding call[!]).

The consensus of opinion from the 5 people locked in that it would it was the last one ..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The consensus of opinion from the 5 people locked in that it would it was the last one ..

Which I can partly understand if they thought they'd done nothing wrong. "Why is work calling me at this hour, my shift is over"

Established Member
First North Western (Rochdale), Transpennine Express, (Stalybridge) and now Northern have form for locking stations up leaving passengers crossing the tracks to exit or enter the station. The former two guilty parties, First North Western & Firstgroup TPE had both cut back on GPR (ie roving standby) staff thus when sickness occurred there was noone to unlock the stations.

Both firms initially denied this, but after grown-ups (HMRI/ORR I think) intervened promises were made to not do it again.

I'm guessing this was a failure by Northern control to tell staff to stay late due to the late running, unless a procedure is in place requiring staff on site to check.

Manchester Evening News said:
Passengers take lives in their hands after Stalybridge station fails to open on time
People waiting for the first train from the Tameside station jumped down onto the railway and ran across tracks just minutes before the service arrived.

BY AMY GLENDINNING
06:00, 26 JAN 2013UPDATED10:38, 26 JAN 2013

Passengers took their lives in their hands running across train tracks when a station failed to open.

People arriving at Stalybridge Station yesterday morning found it closed, with no access to the westbound platform where trains travelling into Manchester stop.

So when an automated announcement said the 6.34am to Manchester Airport was due to arrive, passengers jumped down on to the tracks and made their way across the rails.

They then had to haul themselves four feet back up on to the opposing platform – just a few minutes before a non-stopping train rushed past.

Witnesses said someone could easily have been killed had they stumbled.

The station is believed to have finally opened around 7am, but services were disrupted after the people crossing were spotted.

The drama unfolded when passengers arriving at the station, which is manned by a single member of staff for the first early-morning services, found the ticket office shuttered and locked.

Doors to the westbound platform and ramp were also locked – leaving no way to get there but across the tracks. Commuter Andrew Stevenson was one of those waiting for the service to arrive and was horrified to see people crossing the rails.

Mr Stevenson, 55, who lives on Old Road, Stalybridge, said: “There were people waiting when an automatic announcement came on, saying the train was coming.

“People actually started jumping down and walking across the tracks to get on the train. Within another five minutes a non-stopping train came through – if one of the people crossing had stumbled it would have been catastrophic.”

A spokesman for First Transpennine Express said: “Unfortunately due to the late arrival of station staff we were unable to open the station until 0700. This meant that passengers departing the 0628 arrival from Leeds were not able to exit either the platform or the station. We would like to apologise for this and reassure passengers that appropriate measures have been put in place to ensure this error does not happen again.

“However a number of passengers decided that they would cross the track and exit the station via the eastbound platform. This is a highly dangerous and illegal act. The result could have been tragic.”

Stalybridge and Hyde MP Jonathan Reynolds said: “Crossing railway tracks is extremely dangerous – and it cannot be condoned under any circumstances. It is illegal.

“However I do understand the extreme frustration felt by passengers. I have written to the company asking for an explanation of the circumstances leading up to this incident and for assurances that this cannot happen again.”

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Yes, I think that is clear. I also think it isn't good enough.

Someone who lives in Blackburn needs to hold the keys. Actually hold them. In their house (or an on site key safe).

And if there are no employees who live in Blackburn?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I'm guessing this was a failure by Northern control to tell staff to stay late due to the late running, unless a procedure is place requiring staff on site to check.

Not sure how you can blame "Control" when the train was only a couple of minutes late and there was no alteration or change to that particular train (as noted in post #159). I suspect it is genuine human error but not one that is particularly excusable - double checking, applying professional & company standards & understand worst case scenarios should mean that mistakes that this don't happen.

MotCO

Established Member
Something which has not been mentioned is whether the incident would be classified as an 'emergency' if one of those trapped became hysterical because of the situation, for example if they were claustraphobic, or if they required regular medication. In which case, '999' might be appropriate.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Something which has not been mentioned is whether the incident would be classified as an 'emergency' if one of those trapped became hysterical because of the situation, for example if they were claustraphobic, or if they required regular medication. In which case, '999' might be appropriate.

Or if the weather was cold and they were starting to become hypothermic.

To be honest I think 999 would be justified, it would likely be prioritised quite low, though.

LowLevel

Established Member
Or, indeed, whether one of them had unknowingly been infected by an alien being, causing an inhuman monster to explode from their chest and cause alarm or distress to Mrs Vera Miggins, 59, of Burnley.

I strongly suggest that, much like in every other situation in life, you make a judgement call if the situation arises about how to manage it. In most situations requiring a person to call 999, it is pretty obvious that that is the thing to do.

I am clearly taking the mick but surely we have covered all bases now and can just wait to hear what Northern have to say for themselves about what happened?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
They really ought to have got back to you now. This is not a difficult cockup to investigate and the resolution seems fairly straightforward. FWIW, I dealt with an almost identical case some years ago when working for Virgin West Coast, where a gentleman was locked in the station premises overnight.

462cd

There are loads of security companies that offer a keyholder service. You give them a set of keys and for a retainer and/or call-out fee they will attend alarm calls or other emergencies. If Northern don't have a suitable employee in Blackburn then they really should be using one of those services.

bramling

Veteran Member
There are loads of security companies that offer a keyholder service. You give them a set of keys and for a retainer and/or call-out fee they will attend alarm calls or other emergencies. If Northern don't have a suitable employee in Blackburn then they really should be using one of those services.

With both a rolling stock depot and a crew depot nearby, it shouldn’t be that difficult to find a solution.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Or if the weather was cold and they were starting to become hypothermic.

To be honest I think 999 would be justified, it would likely be prioritised quite low, though.

I think the presence of the guard had a major bearing on the outcome of events and indeed significantly decreased the likelihood of a 999 call.

They really ought to have got back to you now. This is not a difficult cockup to investigate and the resolution seems fairly straightforward. FWIW, I dealt with an almost identical case some years ago when working for Virgin West Coast, where a gentleman was locked in the station premises overnight.

It may be that Northern are still undergoing internal disciplinary investigations although they could of course tell the OP this "the individual responsible is currently involved in an internal investigation to clarify what happened and to prevent similar incidents in future". These things can run at a glacial pace, especially with shift workers and reps etc.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It may be that Northern are still undergoing internal disciplinary investigations although they could of course tell the OP this "the individual responsible is currently involved in an internal investigation to clarify what happened and to prevent similar incidents in future". These things can run at a glacial pace, especially with shift workers and reps etc.
The Company will not disclose the result of a disciplinary process to a complainant and it is not of any real consequence.

The facts of the matter are almost certainly known by now, enough to give the OP a satisfactory explanation and to close the matter by compensating him.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The Company will not disclose the result of a disciplinary process to a complainant and it is not of any real consequence.

The facts of the matter are almost certainly known by now, enough to give the OP a satisfactory explanation and to close the matter by compensating him.

Of course not. But they may say the "matter is still subject to an ongoing disciplinary process" and that may be enough to close the matter as you say.

_toommm_

Established Member
First North Western (Rochdale), Transpennine Express, (Stalybridge) and now Northern have form for locking stations up leaving passengers crossing the tracks to exit or enter the station. The former two guilty parties, First North Western & Firstgroup TPE had both cut back on GPR (ie roving standby) staff thus when sickness occurred there was noone to unlock the stations.

Both firms initially denied this, but after grown-ups (HMRI/ORR I think) intervened promises were made to not do it again.

I'm guessing this was a failure by Northern control to tell staff to stay late due to the late running, unless a procedure is place requiring staff on site to check.

I provided another example of TPE doing this exact thing up thread with Stalybridge station on a Sunday morning. Same exact circumstances. I tried to tell people not to, but to no avail. They delayed their own train, plus mine going towards Huddersfield (for which I didn’t need to/want to/have to cross the tracks).

joke2711

We received an email on Saturday offering a compensation amount. We dismissed this and have asked Northern to reconsider.
The amount offered at this moment will remain private, however, in our opinion, it didn't reflect the seriousness of the event and also take into consideration how serious this could have been. The offer was based on no conclusive evidence as to what had happened and was to close the matter in full.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
We received an email on Saturday offering a compensation amount. We dismissed this and have asked Northern to reconsider.
The amount offered at this moment will remain private, however, in our opinion, it didn't reflect the seriousness of the event and also take into consideration how serious this could have been. The offer was based on no conclusive evidence as to what had happened and was to close the matter in full.
Thanks. Do keep us updated and let us know the conclusion.

Bovverboy

Established Member
That's exactly what is the case here, only that the duty 'key holder' seems to live in Blackpool. Given that for railway roles a commute of up to an hour is usually accepted (and people may relocate after getting a role, or be seconded etc.) that doesn't seem unduly far away.

Making one's way from home to work and back is hardly the same as responding to an emergency.

Wolfie

Established Member
They probably want you to sign a non-disclosure agreement too. If they ask that l suggest that you may wish to seek legal advice.

miami

Established Member
AFAIK they don't have dispatchers at Blackburn. I'm not sure that a ticket office clerk or cleaner, etc would be classed as safety critical.

Given that the fire escapes were locked, it sounds very much that they were.

Another procedural failing, I only hope that the railway industry is better at examining these failure than those that blindly defend the railway in inexcusable situations like this.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Fire escapes being locked has nothing to do with staff being classified as safety critical.

I suppose we have a disconnect here between terminology.

"Safety Critical" is a railway term with a specific meaning. Perhaps to that end it should always be capitalised.

"safety critical" is a concept. Someone with responsibilities that could affect another person's safety is safety critical, but may not be Safety Critical. Someone who locks fire escapes in a building who has to check that nobody is or could be inside certainly has a safety critical role, as locking them could adversely affect another person's safety.

Given how little there is in the passenger-facing part of a railway station that would be worth stealing (the booking office typically being behind roller shutters or security glass, and TVMs secured in their own right and often outside anyway) it strikes me that the answer here is that all railway stations that don't have access to the platforms that doesn't go via the building should have fire escapes usable at all times unless the building is always left unlocked (as per e.g. Bletchley, as the overnight gap in service is too short to bother). Yes, they're easier to break into than locked doors, but railway stations aren't hard to break into anyway, you can gain access to the track and walk along while trains aren't running.

Wolfie

Established Member
I suppose we have a disconnect here between terminology.

"Safety Critical" is a railway term with a specific meaning. Perhaps to that end it should always be capitalised.

"safety critical" is a concept. Someone with responsibilities that could affect another person's safety is safety critical, but may not be Safety Critical. Someone who locks fire escapes in a building who has to check that nobody is or could be inside certainly has a safety critical role, as locking them could adversely affect another person's safety.

Given how little there is in the passenger-facing part of a railway station that would be worth stealing (the booking office typically being behind roller shutters or security glass, and TVMs secured in their own right and often outside anyway) it strikes me that the answer here is that all railway stations that don't have access to the platforms that doesn't go via the building should have fire escapes usable at all times unless the building is always left unlocked (as per e.g. Bletchley, as the overnight gap in service is too short to bother). Yes, they're easier to break into than locked doors, but railway stations aren't hard to break into anyway, you can gain access to the track and walk along while trains aren't running.
Re your last para l sort of agree but fear that vandalism would go through the roof.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Given that the fire escapes were locked, it sounds very much that they were.

Another procedural failing, I only hope that the railway industry is better at examining these failure than those that blindly defend the railway in inexcusable situations like this.
Given that presumably the people locked in could access the whole platform, including ends of the platforms where I would think there would be nothing combustible, only the most severe conflagration would result in anyone being trapped in the situation of a fire wouldn't it?

I suppose there is a risk that you go towards an exit to look to get out and then a fire breaks out behind you and you have no way back the way you came.

miami

Established Member
Given that presumably the people locked in could access the whole platform, including ends of the platforms where I would think there would be nothing combustible, only the most severe conflagration would result in anyone being trapped in the situation of a fire wouldn't it?

Perhaps that's acceptable in the risk assessment, I'd be surprised if it said "passengers may be locked on the platform as in case of fire they can ignore the exit signs and make their own way to the end of the platform on the hope that it isn't a long freight train that is causing the inferno"

najaB

Veteran Member
Perhaps that's acceptable in the risk assessment, I'd be surprised if it said "passengers may be locked on the platform as in case of fire they can ignore the exit signs and make their own way to the end of the platform on the hope that it isn't a long freight train that is causing the inferno"
Have you ever been to Blackburn station?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Have you ever been to Blackburn station?
I mean maybe the specific situation at Blackburn means its fine but I'd argue this is a wider ranging point too. The accidental locking of passengers in a station could happen anywhere and some stations will be more dangerous than others in that scenario.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think you're rather missing the point that fire escapes can be locked when a building is empty and the station was almost certainly locked up in the belief that it was empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.