• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge reconstruction works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not an issue after 2018 of course when there'll be one island for up, one island for down for CX.

I wonder if any thought was ever given to arranging the Cannon Street platforms in the new layout so there'd be two islands with a reversible track in the middle. Would be the same track/platform area and make it easier on people in the evening peak!

Not enough room unfortunately - unless you take out a few escalators, but then the platforms would become unusable at busy times, which defeats the object!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
I suppose Traffic Management will help fix these issues. from what I can glean from those who know, soon as the train is buzzed out at Cannon St/Charing X, TM will know the sequence of trains through London Bridge and can then decide a platform, and in theory that should still work in disruption. How it works in practice we are yet to see I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalke

FOH

I wonder if any thought was ever given to arranging the Cannon Street platforms in the new layout so there'd be two islands with a reversible track in the middle. Would be the same track/platform area and make it easier on people in the evening peak!
It would spoil the look from the Shard viewing platform if they weren't consistent widths.

transmanche

Established Member
I must admit I find it quite hard to picture the arrangements at London Bridge these days.

Is the plan still for the final track layout to look like this? And is it just the Cannon Street tracks that they have left to do? (Along with finishing off the new concourse?)

London Bridge West by Sparkyscrum, on Flickrr

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It would spoil the look from the Shard viewing platform if they weren't consistent widths.

That deserves a :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I must admit I find it quite hard to picture the arrangements at London Bridge these days.

Is the plan still for the final track layout to look like this? And is it just the Cannon Street tracks that they have left to do? (Along with finishing off the new concourse?)

Yes that is the final layout, give or take. Another forum member will be pleased you used his drawing.

Platforms 1-5 need to be completed, indeed the area for platforms 1-3 and some of 4 need to be demolished first before they can be rebuilt. The Cannon St trains are currently routed through what will be platforms 5 and 6, and there is still a lot of track work to do, particularly at the Bermondsey Dive Under.

transmanche

Established Member
Yes that is the final layout, give or take. Another forum member will be pleased you used his drawing.
It's a very good diagram! :)

Platforms 1-5 need to be completed, indeed the area for platforms 1-3 and some of 4 need to be demolished first before they can be rebuilt. The Cannon St trains are currently routed through what will be platforms 5 and 6, and there is still a lot of track work to do, particularly at the Bermondsey Dive Under.
Thank you, that makes it a lot easier to understand.

IanKR

Is the plan still for the final track layout to look like this?

Interesting - didn't realise there will be *four* CHX platforms - they're using just three at the moment, aren't they (7-9)? Is this why CHX down trains are currently having to pass through in the morning peak (and up ones in the evening peak)?

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting - didn't realise there will be *four* CHX platforms - they're using just three at the moment, aren't they (7-9)?
Is this why CHX down trains are currently having to pass through in the morning peak (and up ones in the evening peak)?

Yes, and yes.

The four platform layout for Charing Cross route has always been in the plans, and the temporary use of three platforms is exactly why there is a tidal flow to the service patterns. There just isn't room to have brought six tracks into use in one go (i.e. hypothetically four for Charing Cross calling at P6-P9, and two passing through P4 and P5 non-stop to Cannon St).

The non-stopping of contra peak trains was discussed earlier in one of the other threads about the general impact on Southern's timetable.

ScotGG

Established Member
London Bridge screwed again tonight for SE passengers. Been constant since the change of timetable.

People can't board at times even on the day it was running ok. Other times is beyond poor. SE will plummet even more in annual surveys

ijmad

Established Member
Crowd control being operated tonight at LB.
They have stopped the escalators and are making people walk up the stairs!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I suppose Traffic Management will help fix these issues. from what I can glean from those who know, soon as the train is buzzed out at Cannon St/Charing X, TM will know the sequence of trains through London Bridge and can then decide a platform, and in theory that should still work in disruption. How it works in practice we are yet to see I suppose.

I would imagine the main thing that would stop it working is if a train gets delayed at Waterloo East - changing the order of trains arriving from that direction. Hopefully that'd be unusual though.

I would also guess another problem would be if a train gets delayed in the platform at London Bridge, so that it's still there when the next train supposedly for that platform arrives - then presumably you'd have to swap platforms.

carriageline

Established Member
I would imagine the main thing that would stop it working is if a train gets delayed at Waterloo East - changing the order of trains arriving from that direction. Hopefully that'd be unusual though.

I would also guess another problem would be if a train gets delayed in the platform at London Bridge, so that it's still there when the next train supposedly for that platform arrives - then presumably you'd have to swap platforms.

But in reality that's no different to now. We've been explicably told that platform changes CANNOT happen after a train has left Chx, unless in a dire need. Unless a train has a major issue at London Bridge, then trains will wait outside for it unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Class377/5

Established Member
That deserves a :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Indeed. Nice to see my bit of work is still helping people. Was originally done as a training aid for staff.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Crowd control being operated tonight at LB.
They have stopped the escalators and are making people walk up the stairs!

When I was there we were being held at the bottom of the stairs, as the result the train I wanted came and went. I was then released to go up to stand on the platform and be the cause of congestion whilst waiting for the next one!

I assume others were in the same position, you couldnt wait at the bottom as if you did you were guaranteed to miss your train. The only option was to go and clog up the platform!

ComUtoR

Established Member
CD/RA are for dispatch purposes and are locally operated by dispatch staff.

The PoSA is for Drivers. It allows the signal to be passed at Red without the need to contact the Signaller. In some cases is also acts as a Subsidiary/APL/Calling on to allow permissive working.

teamsoutheast

I have a funny feeling that they are going to complete all platforms quite early. Does anybody know whether or not network rail are ahead of schedule for completion of this project?

hwl

Established Member
I have a funny feeling that they are going to complete all platforms quite early. Does anybody know whether or not network rail are ahead of schedule for completion of this project?

The platforms will be complete quite quickly.
... But the issue isn't the platforms but the 2nd part of the concourse underneath and signalling. Hence the platforms have to be complete a long time before everything else. The facade on Tooley Street will also take quite bit of time.

Cannon Street Services will swap to running through the new P1+2 at Easter 2017, allowing completion of P5 and P6 comes into use in August 2017 for down Charing Cross services

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

All lines and platforms at London Bridge will reopen at 0400 on Tuesday 2 January 2018, as has been scheduled for the last 7 years.

SF-02

Can't be easy. Another balls up tonight will people blocked from platforms. Train fault or 2 coupled to very busy trains since stock changes doesn't help.

GodAtum

On Moderation
i was there last night. new concourse looks very impressive. have they opened up the way to the tooley street bus stops now?

Tangent

Usually everyone piles on to the platform and waits. This causes crowding. Now you only really need to be on the platform for when your train is due. It works ok at other places. Take a look at Charing Cross. You wait on the concourse until your train is posted and then you head to the platform. London bridge will now have the same mentality. Wait downstairs till your platform is called and then head up the escalator.

In the days before the works, when boarding at London Bridge, I didn't mind wait for trains in the corridor below the High Level platforms, or the footbridge. I would have probably done so more often had the space been more attractive.

teamsoutheast

Does anyone think the platform overloading is just due to the sheer volume of people or will this change once all the platforms are fully opened?

Status
Not open for further replies.