• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJN

Yes, as said above, you get a temp pass for when you start and then when you take photo's in on the first day, you get a photocard and then the rail pass comes in the post a few days later.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrea10

When I had my conditional offer and contract through I received a temporary duty pass for london midland only. A couple of days after I started I got my proper southern/southeastern/lm pass

Did you ever get anything to confirm that your conditional offer had become a firm offer?

I was given a conditional offer with a start date. Then attended medical, however they have not officially told me I have passed the medical. I have had a letter asking me to attend the talent academy for a 3 day induction on the give date.

However this is now very close and they have not sent me a firm offer letter or any contract in the post, even though they said they would. I do have an email cotract which was sent with a conditional offer.

Also no replies to 4 emails.

sd0733

Established Member
I got my unconditional offer on the thursday before I started, I just kept phoning to see what stage they were at. One of the guys on my course got his unconditional offer today, we started 2 weeks ago!
If you phone them is best bet and they'll chase up references, crb etc for you if theyve not got it all back yet.

andrea10

I got my unconditional offer on the thursday before I started, I just kept phoning to see what stage they were at. One of the guys on my course got his unconditional offer today, we started 2 weeks ago!
If you phone them is best bet and they'll chase up references, crb etc for you if theyve not got it all back yet.

But how can anyone hand in a notice to their current employer based on no firm offer letter? Just hope they send it? Not ideal really.

Chances are if they're ignoring emails they don't want the perso to ring them hence ignoring them.

Its their job to chase up references crb not ours. They are recruitment they should recruit! :roll:

andrea10

Also can I just ask at what point you selected your options for working Sundays? (i.e. either rostered in, committing to so many or working over and above)? And how do you indicate this?

Or do you sort this after you start?

sd0733

Established Member
I sent 2 e-mails as well with no reply so I called them and asked and was assured that I would begin on the agreed start date even without the unconditional offer so I handed my notice in, I was told by my old boss I could have my old job back if I wanted which made it a little easier to risk it but its still not ideal but you do seem to get a lot more info ringing than e-mails.
Yes exactly they should really be sorting things like references out anyway but they didn't seem to unless you called them and asked in my case then they would do it.

With the sundays in the contract (this may vary from depot to depot due to different t&c's) I am commited to work one sunday in 4 with any extra sundays being rest days so your choice if you want to make yourself available once you start, the rest days sundays are at time and a half.

LCC106

Established Member
Any offer, contract or confirmation of start date, whether verbal, by email or on paper is legally binding. Yes, it could be difficult to prove a telephone discussion took place, but an email contract sounds like a firm offer. Of course, I don't know what's written in it, but sounds good to me. The written statement of terms and conditions has to be issued within 8 weeks of your start date, or within 4 if you ask your employer for it. (That is, unless employment law has changed in the last 12 months...)

monty9120

im still waiting for my medical date. im pretty excited about trying something new.

im not too keen on this no contract but having a start date business. like most people i have a house bills and a current job which are pretty scarce around here.

i will be bricking it if i have to hand my notice in without any major paperwork.

did you all get emails to say when you started your new jobs?

SJN

I had my conditional offer and contract just before Christmas, signed it, filled all the forms out, authorisation for crb, uniform order etc and sent it all back. Just after Christmas, I called to make sure all received. I then had an email asking for my referees emails which I sent the same day. Two weeks later I received my unconditional offer letter in the post with an invitation to the induction on 25 Feb. I just kept on top of it so was in no doubt about starting at any time.

Iceman1979

I had my conditional offer and contract just before Christmas, signed it, filled all the forms out, authorisation for crb, uniform order etc and sent it all back. Just after Christmas, I called to make sure all received. I then had an email asking for my referees emails which I sent the same day. Two weeks later I received my unconditional offer letter in the post with an invitation to the induction on 25 Feb. I just kept on top of it so was in no doubt about starting at any time.

Hi SJN

Where do you go for the first day or week of your induction?? And what time do you have to be there? I ask these questions because I'm looking to book a ticket for the 8th April, and they coming up pretty EXPENSIVE!!!

So should I book one way ticket n use the pass LM give me on my return journey? Or book a return journey? As u said, you received your pass couple of days after you have started!!

Regards

The Iceman

cobbler

to add to SJN,s comment , mine was the same i had my conditional offer about a month ago , filled everything out , emailed HR just to confirm everything was correct , my crb checks went away and came back quickly and about 2 weeks ago the reference emails were sent out and that was all done quickly , i emailed in just to check and i was told everything was complete and they are now in a position to offer the unconditional offer and they will send out my last paperwork

when i first started on the railway back in 1990 it was nothing like this :lol: it was assessment , interview the same day , then medical and start , this time round well longer ! but im glad to be through the process ,

as ive said before in this post if you havent got through this time , dont give up , try again as i did as you do get another chance if you want it

and i remember moaning when i got my ( on hold email ) stating 6months and thinking i couldnt wait that long , but it goes quickly and i start on the 8th april , happy days

good luck all

andrea10

Ahh some good advice coming out here. Apreciate that.

Yes I have a contract in email form which they sent with conditional offer. I have also returned all the forms.

But I did not print, sign and return the contract as on the conditional email they sent me, they said they would post the contract and welcome letter.

However they have not posted it. I reminded them in email I havn't had contract in post and no reply.

I have wondered whether I should print my own contract and return it but surely they should post the contract to us if stated they will?

After all if printing your own you could amend it and its doubtful they would notice. They should probably print it first to formally state their agreement to all terms as written by them.

SJN

Iceman, we did our first week at New St, Bham. You shouldnt need to buy a ticket at all. You should get a temp pass before you start. Ring them if you havent had it yet. Mine came with my conditional offer contract before Christmas. Our second and third week are at Bletchley but it depends on where you are going to be based where you do the rules training.

cobbler

Ahh some good advice coming out here. Apreciate that.

Yes I have a contract in email form which they sent with conditional offer. I have also returned all the forms.

But I did not print, sign and return the contract as on the conditional email they sent me, they said they would post the contract and welcome letter.

However they have not posted it. I reminded them in email I havn't had contract in post and no reply.

I have wondered whether I should print my own contract and return it but surely they should post the contract to us if stated they will?

After all if printing your own you could amend it and its doubtful they would notice. They should probably print it first to formally state their agreement to all terms as written by them.

i wasnt aware they sent out anything contract wise in email form ?? i assume it had your start date on it ? have you returned your crb info and reference details etc , seems the complete opposite to what i had , id ring them asap

plastictaffy

Unconditional offer should come with a contract in the post. In that letter you should get a temporary pass from LM, valid for a month or so I believe. You will also get a map of where 102 is, (not difficult to find!!) You will get some other bumf telling you what you are expected to wear on your first (smart office dress is the way forward).

Last edited:

Komma

I'm starting training on the 8th April(based at Watford) and last week they confirmed that they received my references,after a few phone calls to HR by me.I am now waiting the written unconditional offer to come in the post,but I am handing in my notice to Virgin tomorrow.

Bring on the training.

cobbler

I'm starting training on the 8th April(based at Watford) and last week they confirmed that they received my references,after a few phone calls to HR by me.I am now waiting the written unconditional offer to come in the post,but I am handing in my notice to Virgin tomorrow.

Bring on the training.

see you there :D

plastictaffy

Perhaps, SJN, we ought to walk past playing the Benny Hill tune that I have on my phone...........
Seriously though, be nice to put a faces to the names of people we've spoken to on here........
Except you must rue the day you were able to put a face to my name, eh??

SJN

Perhaps, SJN, we ought to walk past playing the Benny Hill tune that I have on my phone...........
Seriously though, be nice to put a faces to the names of people we've spoken to on here........
Except you must rue the day you were able to put a face to my name, eh??

Lol. You do make it a laugh though.

monty9120

how are people finding the training. cant wait to try something different :D

just wondered what to expect when working on the railways. i do enjoy my job now and never detest going to work which is good :)

BHXDMT

After 4 months of waiting I finally had my interview today. I really can't call it, it was tough but I did my best I guess...

Apparently the next intake is at the start of September is what I was told. I now have to wait a day or two to see if I passed and whether I accept the other role I've been offered with LM or wait until September!

Decisions.

MuttleyBOT

After 4 months of waiting I finally had my interview today. I really can't call it, it was tough but I did my best I guess...

Apparently the next intake is at the start of September is what I was told. I now have to wait a day or two to see if I passed and whether I accept the other role I've been offered with LM or wait until September!

Decisions.

Good luck mate. I had my interview a few weeks ago and I too was told next intake September (although they said they may have a course May). Where did you apply for?

Status
Not open for further replies.