• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrea10

Unconditional offer should come with a contract in the post. In that letter you should get a temporary pass from LM, valid for a month or so I believe. You will also get a map of where 102 is, (not difficult to find!!) You will get some other bumf telling you what you are expected to wear on your first (smart office dress is the way forward).

All sorted and have have received the above now. Thanks all.

cobbler

A good feeling Cobbler, is it not?? We're back at 102 on the 8th, so we'll look out for you.

it is mate , ive got 10 shifts left at work and its going sloooow lol , looking forward to getting started with the training etc , also looking forward to bumping into the guys still there from my time before , i might try and persuade them i never left lol

SJN

Well Cobbler and Komma, don't forget to introduce yourselves to me and Plastictaffy. We can have a coffee before our courses start. He's the loud one.:)

BHXDMT

What a rollercoaster day.

I received an email this morning confirming I'd passed and that I would be placed on hold again until suitable vacancies arose. I rang up and indeed, September is the next intake... however a lot of people have passed the interviews and want New Street as a base, so they can't guarantee that I would be offered a position then despite "interviewing well."

Next intake after that is January 2014, so I decided to take the firm offer that I received on Monday for a station role starting April/May (subject, of course, to all the necessary checks which are now my next hurdle!). Recruitment suggested I could re-apply internally after 6 months in my station role since my assessment scores are valid for 3 years.

I'm really excited to have the opportunity now to finally start working on the railway after so many years trying! No thanks to the help this forum has provided! Good luck to everyone else still in the running for the Conductor positions!

Last edited:

plastictaffy

SJN - I am sooooooo not loud. And my voice isn't nearly as irritating as your mate with "Little Man Syndrome".

Nor do I look like Shrek, unlike him.

Komma, cobbler - might I recommend the "Mochachino" out of the machine at 102..........

Iceman1979

Well Cobbler and Komma, don't forget to introduce yourselves to me and Plastictaffy. We can have a coffee before our courses start. He's the loud one.:)

Hi SJN

Could you pls tell me what days we will be at new street during our first week of the training?? I ask this, because I will be travelling from watford and the LM Pass will not be valid on the Virgin Trains.....already asked Emily from Recruitment. Therefore, I need to book single ticket on the VT in advance so I save a lot of money!!

Thanks

The Iceman

Komma

SJN - I am sooooooo not loud. And my voice isn't nearly as irritating as your mate with "Little Man Syndrome".

Nor do I look like Shrek, unlike him.

Komma, cobbler - might I recommend the "Mochachino" out of the machine at 102..........

Thanks for the heads up,but I am a tea man only (beer on rest days).

cobbler

Hi SJN

Could you pls tell me what days we will be at new street during our first week of the training?? I ask this, because I will be travelling from watford and the LM Pass will not be valid on the Virgin Trains.....already asked Emily from Recruitment. Therefore, I need to book single ticket on the VT in advance so I save a lot of money!!

Thanks

The Iceman

why do you need to go on a virgin train ? you can get the 5.50 which gets into bham about 8 or go on the 6.41 and change at npt , getting in at 9ish

for the sake of an hour or so you can save money , just a thought :D

SJN

Hi Iceman. We were at New Street for the whole of the first week. The actual induction is Mon-Wed, so you may go to Bletchley on the Thur/Fri for the PTS. We did ours at New Street though.

Mr Taffy you are SO LOUD but I agree, not as irritating as the small man. Komma, the machine does do tea but I don't know if it's any good. You also get free sandwiches but they don't have lables on, so it's pot luck as to what they are!!! They come with a packet of crisps and a chocolate bar. We did anyway, so I presume you do to.

monty9120

I received an email this morning confirming I'd passed and that I would be placed on hold again until suitable vacancies arose. I rang up and indeed, September is the next intake... however a lot of people have passed the interviews and want New Street as a base, so they can't guarantee that I would be offered a position then despite "interviewing well."

Next intake after that is January 2014, so I decided to take the firm offer that I received on Monday for a station role starting April/May (subject, of course, to all the necessary checks which are now my next hurdle!). Recruitment suggested I could re-apply internally after 6 months in my station role since my assessment scores are valid for 3 years.

I'm really excited to have the opportunity now to finally start working on the railway after so many years trying! No thanks to the help this forum has provided! Good luck to everyone else still in the running for the Conductor positions!

when i went through my application again. i put new street as my first choice. the thing is snow hill is more ideal for me which i put second.

if theres a job at snow hill will i be offered this. i have no idea why i did it this way round. snow hills on my line so saves the walk lol

SJN

Depends where they need people. I put New St down as my first choice and have ended up somewhere else completely.

monty9120

fair enough just didnt want them to hold me in a queue for new street if theres one at my second choice :)

Iceman1979

why do you need to go on a virgin train ? you can get the 5.50 which gets into bham about 8 or go on the 6.41 and change at npt , getting in at 9ish

for the sake of an hour or so you can save money , just a thought :D

Hi Cobbler;

Thanks for the heads up.....I will check your recommendation but it will have to be the 5:50 train. The reason being we have to be there before 09:00am I'm assuming. If you have any other ideas let me know pls.

P.S. I'm actually travelling from South Kenton, watford junction is where I will catch the LM Service.

Thanks

The Iceman

cobbler

Hi Cobbler;

Thanks for the heads up.....I will check your recommendation but it will have to be the 5:50 train. The reason being we have to be there before 09:00am I'm assuming. If you have any other ideas let me know pls.

P.S. I'm actually travelling from South Kenton, watford junction is where I will catch the LM Service.

Thanks

The Iceman

no worries mate , ill be there about an hour early so ill stop in maccy d,s and have some breakfast before the day starts , ill see you there :)

plastictaffy

Cobbler - no need to go to Maccy D's, New Street area has a lot of 99p Baguette shops. There's one at the entrance to the Pallisades - you know, the upstairs entrance into The Hole. Sausage bap, with sauce, 99p!!!!! And then, when you get your lunch, there's a different 99p baguette shop three doors down from 102!!

Komma - I personally thought the tea wasn't the best, but, ultimately, the decision rests with you, and you alone.

Iceman - we didn't have to be there til quarter past 9 if memory serves correct. I think I was getting either the 0816 or the 0755 from here. SJN should be able to confirm or deny what time we had to be there.

Last edited:

Charmed

Hi ya, I too was given a verbal offer of employment over the phone last week. They told me I would start training for my station role in April/may. I'm a bit confused on what happens next. I've got to pass my crb and medical but I have no idea when that is gonna be. On the phone he said i would get written conformation of provisional employment but I haven't received anything. Not really sure what happens next tbh

SJN

I think it was 9.30 the first three days and then 9 after that. I went to Maccie D for breakfast too.

BHXDMT

Hi ya, I too was given a verbal offer of employment over the phone last week. They told me I would start training for my station role in April/may. I'm a bit confused on what happens next. I've got to pass my crb and medical but I have no idea when that is gonna be. On the phone he said i would get written conformation of provisional employment but I haven't received anything. Not really sure what happens next tbh

When I spoke to them they said all the paperwork will come out via post soon and the rest via email, then its just a medical which they arrange for whenever and the CRB/reference checks which will be included in the paperwork. I'd imagine that'll be over the next few weeks!

I was given a 22nd April start date for my role, but then I threw a spanner in the works with pre-existing holiday so I was told they'd have to give me a new start date and my paperwork would be delayed coming out to me... so I'm not sure what the timescale is now!

plastictaffy

Hi Charmed. You should receive with in a couple of weeks a conditional offer of employment. You should get a CRB sheet in with that, and lots of other bumf. In that you may also get your date for your medical, or that may arrive in a separate letter. Think it took 10 days or a fortnight after the verbal offer was made. If in doubt, ring them. You'll find a number for HR on page 23 of this thread.

Charmed

Thanks guys after reading all ur comments I was getting worried that I hadn't received anything. I suppose I'm just really eager to start lol

Jatos

I got an offer for interview earlier this month, going for an interview next week!

SJN

Good luck.

I passed my rules exam today which is a big relief. Now got to learn traction and routes.

RJ

Established Member
Hi SJN

Thanks

The Iceman

You'll be unlucky if a Virgin TM says no to a pass trip to Birmingham if you ask nicely prior to boarding - that said, you'd have much more time to do so at Euston.

Iceman1979

You'll be unlucky if a Virgin TM says no to a pass trip to Birmingham if you ask nicely prior to boarding - that said, you'd have much more time to do so at Euston.

Hi RJ

Do you think VT TM would accept my LM pass even though its only valid for LM trains. What r my chances???

Do you also know anyone who has tried this??

Regards

The Iceman

Komma

Hi RJ

Do you think VT TM would accept my LM pass even though its only valid for LM trains. What r my chances???

Do you also know anyone who has tried this??

Regards

The Iceman

I will be getting on the VT from Watford and I work for VT on the platforms at Euston up to the 7th April.If you meet me at Watford I will sort it for you with the TM.

Status
Not open for further replies.