• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty9120

i have had an email already. im not sure what it means though i think it says i have got through the interview but im on hold until a job arises. they will contact me within 6 months

it says i still need to do a medical.

the email says

Thank you for your recent attendance at our interview. I am pleased to confirm that you have been successful to this stage.

Additionally, we would like to congratulate you on your success throughout the recruitment process to date.

what do people think?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Monty,

I had my interview yesterday, pretty straight forward stuff, no trick questions or any drilling down on answers... was told i will hear in 2-3 weeks time ! theres an intake in April, June and potentially Sept so the wait continues... :roll: My first and second choices... Snow Hill and B'ham..

what time was your interview?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RAPIDO

My interview was at 11.15am but didnt get called in until 12ish, what time was yours?
Hi Monty,

ive' received the same e-mail confirming success to this point! however on hold at the moment and will hear something within 6 months, will be completing medical in the mean time. S basically wer'e still in the process after the Assessment and interview... congrats so far Monty..:|

monty9120

My interview was at 11.15am but didnt get called in until 12ish, what time was yours?
Hi Monty,

ive' received the same e-mail confirming success to this point! however on hold at the moment and will hear something within 6 months, will be completing medical in the mean time. S basically wer'e still in the process after the Assessment and interview... congrats so far Monty..:|

mine was meant to be 9.45 but was alot later. i would have missed you

whats that smilie mean?
they have sent me the same email twice now lol

RAPIDO

Hi Monty,

That was only half a smillie... just to congratulate us for staying in the process.. its a lenghty recruitment process but wev'e just got medicals and checks left to do......
by the way, the receptionist stated the interviews were running an hour late on Tuesday too.

anthony263

Established Member
Excellent congratulations to you both.

Anyway I was told when I attended my asessment last thursday that I would hear from London Midland by 1st march (tommorow) but nothing so far.

I will wait til tommorow evening then perhaps send an email to London Midland.

cobbler

mine was meant to be 9.45 but was alot later. i would have missed you

whats that smilie mean?
they have sent me the same email twice now lol

i had the same email in dec , at the time i thought 6months would be to long to wait , a few weeks later i had my medical , then got my job offer , i start in april which i believe is full now , but this does seem to be a huge recruitment drive and there will be more intakes

good luck all

anthony263

Established Member
I received an email today saying they will not be taking my application forward at this time but thanked me for attending the assessment centre.

cobbler

where did people do there medical. what do they look at

medicals have been done in london and bham at bupa centers

checking normal things
eyesight and hearing
blood presure and weight
general health

also drug screening

monty9120

i have had a look on the web about eyesight but cant see anything.

is it like a driving test where you have to read something from a certain distance :D

what about a cough test do they still do that :)

TDK

Established Member
i have had a look on the web about eyesight but cant see anything.

is it like a driving test where you have to read something from a certain distance :D

what about a cough test do they still do that :)

No cough test :) Eye test is the same sort of thing you would have had a school, reading letters off a sheet or on a machine. You don't need perfect vision just check on google for railway group standards eyesight requirments.

Hearing test will test both ears, you go in a soundproof booth with headphones - and all I could hear was my heartbeat at first

You will have a urine test for drugs - if you have taken any drugs even paracetomol tell them.

You will have a breathalizer test for alcohol

Blood pressure

Sometimes a basic co-ordination test and stand on one leg thing

You will also be hooked up to an ECG to see if you have had previous heart problems.

That just about covers it.

If you have smoked cannabis within the last 4 months start worrying

Attended interview on Tuesday. Finally seen, an hour late. Got email two days later saying they would not be progressing my application. Must have been a shockingly bad interview then.

Beveridges

Established Member
Does not mean it was shockingly bad. It is possible to have a good corporate Interview and still fail. Had plenty of them myself over the years!

monty9120

Attended interview on Tuesday. Finally seen, an hour late. Got email two days later saying they would not be progressing my application. Must have been a shockingly bad interview then.

sorry to hear that mate. doesnt mean it was shockingly bad. they just can be very picky and maybe 1 small aspect is why they chose not to.

ask them for feedback on your interview. sometimes its strength of one question

TDK

Established Member

Not shockingly bad at all, a very high demand for a small amount of positions

cobbler

doesnt mean it was a bad interview , as TDK says its a small amount of possitions for massive amount of applicants ,

ask for feedback , the same happend to me last year , i asked for feedback and was told i gave a very good interview but didnt score as high as i could have on just 2 questions , the problem is your not up against 10 or 20 people its hundreds and if someone scores just a point higher then there you go

i tried again this year and have been successfull this time , its really easy to give up but dont !! from what can be gathered this is a massive recriutment going on through the year , id ask when you can apply again

keep plugging away

monty9120

dont forget as you passed the assessment if you apply again you go straight to the interview

MuttleyBOT

As was said - not necessarily a "shockingly bad interview". Get feedback, find out what you need to improve and you'll be ready for the next interview. Have you applied for any of the other positions with Chiltern/Arriva/Cross Country recently advertised? If so you'll be hearing from them soon so be prepared! London Midlands loss could be another TOC's gain - chin up mate and keep trying. Remember you got this far out of thousands who applied.

Iceman1979

Iceman.......I can't speak for SJN, but I can say that what we were doing today makes my brain ache.......

Hi Plastictaffy;

Just wondering what you Guyz are doing since you started the training? As I have mine next month. And what did you do today? lol

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards

The Iceman

Newbie2013

Hi
I have an interview next week for the trainee conductor role

Can anyone help me with any questions asked or advice?

Thanks

SJN

Hi Plastictaffy;

Just wondering what you Guyz are doing since you started the training? As I have mine next month. And what did you do today? lol

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards

The Iceman

Hi Iceman

Last week we started with a 3 day induction. Basically all the corporate stuff and going over the benefits and some basic safety training. Also talks with the BTP and some training on how to help people with disabilities. Thursday and Friday, we did PTS. This week and next week is rules training at Bletchley, which is a bit mind blowing and then we are at out home stations for a few weeks for traction and route learning. After that, back to New Street for retail training (tickets) then back to home stations. It's a lot to take in, especially being completely new to the industry but I am enjoying it. Good luck next month.

Iceman1979

Hi Iceman

Last week we started with a 3 day induction. Basically all the corporate stuff and going over the benefits and some basic safety training. Also talks with the BTP and some training on how to help people with disabilities. Thursday and Friday, we did PTS. This week and next week is rules training at Bletchley, which is a bit mind blowing and then we are at out home stations for a few weeks for traction and route learning. After that, back to New Street for retail training (tickets) then back to home stations. It's a lot to take in, especially being completely new to the industry but I am enjoying it. Good luck next month.

Hi SJN

Thanks for the feed back really appreciate. Do they pay for your travel before you start your training? Or do you receive a travel card once you arrive for training??

cobbler

Hi SJN

Thanks for the feed back really appreciate. Do they pay for your travel before you start your training? Or do you receive a travel card once you arrive for training??

hi iceman

i start the same day as you , dont worry all your travel will be taken care of

Iceman1979

hi iceman

i start the same day as you , dont worry all your travel will be taken care of

Hi Cobbler;

Thanks for the update.......how will they take care of it? Will they send travel cards before the 8th of April?

The Iceman

BHXDMT

Exactly 4 months to the day that I sat my assessments, I finally have an interview for the Trainee Conductor position!

The waiting paid off I guess.

Also have an interview 2 days earlier for a CSA position. It's like waiting for a bus.....

Last edited:

playmore64

@ DMTaylor90: It's a good feeling to have something else in the pipeline as a backup plan, love being in that position:D

Good luck pal!

cobbler

Hi Cobbler;

Thanks for the update.......how will they take care of it? Will they send travel cards before the 8th of April?

The Iceman

i would think we will get a pass issued before the start date and probly a temp one to be issued when we start proper , 4 week countdown :)

sd0733

Established Member
i would think we will get a pass issued before the start date and probly a temp one to be issued when we start proper , 4 week countdown :)

When I had my conditional offer and contract through I received a temporary duty pass for london midland only. A couple of days after I started I got my proper southern/southeastern/lm pass

Status
Not open for further replies.