• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

harri2626

Yesterday I was booked on the 15.05 KX to Leeds. As I was booked in coach M, I arrived in sufficient time to grab a bite to eat before I boarded, in case of any lack of service or shortage of food. However, I was greeted by an announcement that the 15.05 had been cancelled, as was the 14.50(?) Grand Central to Bradford. We were offered the option of joining the 14.35 or 15.35 to Leeds. Needless to say, everyone was hovering for the 14.35 which was ten minutes late arriving, so the turn-round was very cursory.

Knowing they wouldn't have chance to place any seat reservations I made sure I was one of the first into coach M and found a seat. However, by the time it left at 14.55 it was totally full in First and I dread to think what Standard was like.

However, the point of this message is to praise the staff for what was a very good service en-route. In spite of the numbers, coach M was served by two hot drinks, two alcoholic and two sandwich servings before we passed Grantham. The staff were pleasant and helpful and, unusually, the train announcements were clear and precise, without the usual waffle and needless repetition.

So........full marks to East Coast!:lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
On 1027 ex Edinburgh to Aberdeen today.

All Day Menus were already on the tables - I got a "4" in Coach L ignoring my single reservation in Coach J.. L is becoming the destination for savvy travellers as on the three coach set up M has all the pre-booked and J/K has the quiet bunch.

Coffee served just out of EDB and orders for hot food taken. I opted for the Jacket Potato with salmon, broad beans and crème fraiche mix with a mixed leaf salad. I also had a bit of cake and a banana and was offered sandwiches while waiting for my spud. Had a Scotch as well before 11am !!

It was not a bad snack, but not as nice as the chicken or chilli ones I have had in the past.

Something needs to be done about the mixed leaf salads - they are a joke. Why don't they have little pre packed containers with a bit of cucumber and tomato in along with lettuce?

After Dundee they produced the Coffee Pot and that was it - not a sniff of a biscuit !! I mistakenly expected the drinks trolley to reappear but I had to ask a steward to fetch me another Scotch.

One "booze run" for a two and a half hour journey is not sufficient.

On the 1818 ex Aberdeen coming back.

I tried the "tree hugger" option on the way back as it was the same menu. The Mediterranean Veggie Pie was not that bad, more than can be said for the risible mixed leaf salad it came with.

Cake and Crisps were also consumed and a Scotch.

This time the booze trolley did come back out after Dundee - hurrah another Scotch :p

This service was the "stopper" to Leeds. I got out at Haymarket but by my reckoning on normal East Coast trolley schedules the booze may well have come back out after Edinburgh, Newcastle and York. Had I been going to Leeds that would have been 5 Scotches (10 measures) consumed :lol:

I'm doing an Alnmouth next week - from my experience they normally serve Breakfasts to "M" first and work backwards to the Café Bar - is this the experience of others ?

I ask as it's a bit tight time wise from EDB to Alnmouth and if there is a delay you can be struggling to get the Breakfast in K/L or have to wolf it down in 5mins. I suppose I could order a "special" as the salmon /sarnies seem to get sent out first before the full breakfasts and sit anywhere. The key is not to sit in your allocated seat as they can see where you are going from the reservation tab (or remove it). I think I'll find an unreserved berth in M :p

Last edited:

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I ask as it's a bit tight time wise from EDB to Alnmouth and if there is a delay you can be struggling to get the Breakfast in K/L or have to wolf it down in 5mins. I suppose I could order a "special" as the salmon /sarnies seem to get sent out first before the full breakfasts and sit anywhere. The key is not to sit in your allocated seat as they can see where you are going from the reservation tab (or remove it). I think I'll find an unreserved berth in M :p

That's a good tip, thanks! As I was a tad disappointed on my last EDB to KGX run on the Chieftain, Sandwiches or hot food offered just after departure from EDB but nothing after, they kept coming through asking for those boarding at NCL and YRK and returning to the kitchen with plenty of Sandwiches, not sure why they're reluctant to give some out to those of us who had been on the train for hours already!

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
On the 1818 ex Aberdeen coming back.

I tried the "tree hugger" option on the way back as it was the same menu. The Mediterranean Veggie Pie was not that bad, more than can be said for the risible mixed leaf salad it came with.

Cake and Crisps were also consumed and a Scotch.

This time the booze trolley did come back out after Dundee - hurrah another Scotch :p

This service was the "stopper" to Leeds. I got out at Haymarket but by my reckoning on normal East Coast trolley schedules the booze may well have come back out after Edinburgh, Newcastle and York. Had I been going to Leeds that would have been 5 Scotches (10 measures) consumed :lol:
You are right - and more!
I was on that train and enjoyed 3 services of drinks between Waverley and Newcastle alone! (I also enjoyed the Mediterannean vegetable pie.)

Butts

Veteran Member
I have success to report on my Alnmouth trip today :lol:

Free Scotsman on my trip into Edinburgh from Falkirk High.

Boarded 0800 to Alnmouth pretty full so I parked myself in the last seat in L before you hit M, Times handed out to read.

Coffee, OJ, 2 Slices of brown toast and a Full English served by 0835 - time to enjoy before 0858 arrival. If I'd sat in K I may have missed it :oops:

Sat in K on the way back as the staff notice you getting on - within minutes of sitting down coffee, 2 packets of biscuits and a packet of crisps were plonked in front of me. Also took order for Indian style Chicken Breast (not bad) and had a couple of Scotches.

On train from EDB to FKK had coffee and biscuits.

All that for £10.75 each way :lol:

HST Power

Established Member
All that for £10.75 each way :lol:

The Railcard Racket rides again! :p

Is it true that you cannot use a Railcard before 09:30am?

I would like to try the Indian Chicken, sadly I think it will be a while until I get to a First Class bash that's anything longer than 30 minutes. I will just have to make do with London - Stevenage tea and biscuits!

JB1601

I was on yesterday's southbound Highland Chieftan on a EC rewards ticket (stretching it to the limit!). Was surprisingly busy throughout, I didn't expect it to be that full for a Tuesday.

Great crews all the way - even lobbed us an extra Stella on their last run! Breakfast served promptly out of Inverness (especially considering how many they had to get through and we were in coach M). Also liked how the crew diligently checked additional passengers' food requests at all the numerous stops between Inverness and Edinburgh.

Newspapers were given out at Edinburgh and shortly afterwards the all day menu commenced. No more food offered to us after that - only to new passengers - but I don't feel I need to eat three times in an eight hour journey, some may feel differently!

One thing was a little frustrating in the booking process: not being able to change our seat reservations to two individual seats facing each other, as we were the last two rewards tickets so the system judged that there were no more seats (that bug is still there). Also no power in coach M which on a long distance journey would have been handy. But can't fault the service. I use EC 1st most weeks now and I do really like it, ironed out most of the problems now.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Also no power in coach M which on a long distance journey would have been handy.

Did you tell the staff? It's often a circuit breaker (or something along those lines) that's tripped and that can be reset restoring power to the coach.

rmt4ever

Yo everyone.

Going to Edinburgh next week with a friend. Going out Tuesday on 1130 train and return Thursday on 1430 train. First class somewhere in middle area of coach L both ways.

What can we expect food wise? And regarding drinks, my friend is a bit of a p!$$ head too, so do people think we will be catered for or should we goto Simply Food first to get some cans? I know the complimentary booze is a bit sparse sometimes.

HST Power

Established Member
Yo everyone.

Going to Edinburgh next week with a friend. Going out Tuesday on 1130 train and return Thursday on 1430 train. First class somewhere in middle area of coach L both ways.

What can we expect food wise? And regarding drinks, my friend is a bit of a p!$$ head too, so do people think we will be catered for or should we goto Simply Food first to get some cans? I know the complimentary booze is a bit sparse sometimes.

The 1100 will be an All Day train, running Rotation 2 of the meu. Going back on Thursday (12th) it will be the All Day also, still on Rotation 2.

You can see your menu here.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I was amused recently when an evening service was running with fewer staff than usual.
The Guard joined in by serving hot meals to passengers at their seats!
He made quite a few runs of hot dishes from kitchen to coaches to help in keeping the service to passengers' running.

It's always a pleasure to see staff supporting each other, whatever their roles.

tsr

Established Member
I was amused recently when an evening service was running with fewer staff than usual.
The Guard joined in by serving hot meals to passengers at their seats!
He made quite a few runs of hot dishes from kitchen to coaches to help in keeping the service to passengers' running.

It's always a pleasure to see staff supporting each other, whatever their roles.

Train Managers on EMT services to/from London St Pancras are supposedly obliged to do something similar in times of crew shortages (but of course most food on EMT is paid for separately, and thus there may be a wide range in the numbers of orders).

rmt4ever

You will have booze available with the All Day Menu, I got offered alcohol before 11am going to Aberdeen last week. Wine, Spirits and various Beers and Cider in cans.

But I meant quantities.

I would imagine a can of bitter (hopefully not lager) every half hour or so, maybe a glass of wine with lunch (if that pathetic excuse can pass for lunch) and a couple of GnTs to finish off in the last 45mins or so of the journey.

I don't even care if I have to pay, as long as I know beforehand so I can get to Simply Food

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah if you're wanting that much you're better off buying before travel because I've never seen them be that generous.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
But I meant quantities.

I would imagine a can of bitter (hopefully not lager) every half hour or so, maybe a glass of wine with lunch (if that pathetic excuse can pass for lunch) and a couple of GnTs to finish off in the last 45mins or so of the journey.

I don't even care if I have to pay, as long as I know beforehand so I can get to Simply Food

You certainly won't get a drink every half hour! From experience the drinks trolley normally comes round on average once an hour, but my experience is limited to the Kings Cross to Inverness and back trains!

rmt4ever

Hmm thanks for the advice, doesn't sound good. Might just buy a 75cl bottle of prosecco to share from simply food and some journey gin cans (those great premixed GnTs MandS do that are about a triple measure of Gin). This should supplement the one an hour beer just fine.

The only thing I have to compare it with is once travelled FC Virgin - Glasgow to Euston. I was plied with so much booze I could hardly see the yellow line when I got off in London. I guess this isn't the case with EC?

I have travelled a few times since this offering came in, only Kings X to Yorkshire tho. Was hoping to Scotland might be more generous

Last edited by a moderator:

Butts

Veteran Member
But I meant quantities.

If you want one every 30 mins you could top up your "duty free" with purchases from the Café Bar :p

Happy Bunny - more like **** head Bunny <D

Squaddie

Why would someone need to drink so much alcohol on a train journey?

JB1601

Did you tell the staff? It's often a circuit breaker (or something along those lines) that's tripped and that can be reset restoring power to the coach.

Yes we did - they said it had been reported the previous day but wasn't fixed yet. They invited us to move coaches but there were so many reservations we'd have been split up, so decided to stay put.

WatcherZero

Established Member
East Coast are launching a £7m major TV advertising blitz tommorow comparing travelling on their trains to sitting in your front room.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
My front room ! ! ! ! ? ? ?

Was that before or after all the piles of papers were tidyied up recently? I don't want people seeing my front room in a mess. Having said that, I would have let them have some pics for less than £7mil.