• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Apparently there are five stages of grief, with the initial one being "Denial". I think those mourning the loss of the X17 are very much stuck here and it's high time that they moved on. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It's good use of resources though - there obviously need to be outbound buses in the morning and inbound buses in the afternoon (to provide vehicles for the busier services in the opposite direction), so why not divert them via the RBS for the sake of a couple of minutes, providing a useful service from central Edinburgh - good way of meeting a contra-peak flow
Totally, i wasn't disputing or complaining about it. It's just someone mentioned it would provide a useful link for those who work at RBS and live in West Lothian, i was just saying it wouldn't be much use to them as it only diverts outbound in the morning and inbound in the afternoon. As you note and i fully agree the diversion is in the opposite direction of the mean peak time flow so the extra time really isn't an issue.
Apparently there are five stages of grief, with the initial one being "Denial". I think those mourning the loss of the X17 are very much stuck here and it's high time that they moved on. ;)
Likewise with the X38... Lothian can't seem to post anything on social media without the same five people bringing it up. :lol:
Personally I don't think we'll see "normal" for a long time, whatever 'normal' will be. Scottish Government funding has been extended until October for bus operators so hopefully the situation will be alot better by then (that's around when i'd personally expect something resembling pre-covid).
I doubt things will ever go back to how they were, i suspect going forward the traditional "peak" times won't be as busy while off-peak and weekend buses will be busier than they were before.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Which means that it's now another service altogether and no longer the X17. By changing the service number and varying the route, it saved having to cancel the registration for the X17 and then submit a new one for the 276.

Exactly my point.

DunsBus

Established Member
Exactly my point.
I know that, but I was trying to explain it for the benefit of a certain member who seems to think otherwise and continues to think so. As @GusB has touched on above, we can now definitely file the X17 alongside 1029 under the category "it's not coming back" and draw a line under this subject. ;)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I know that, but I was trying to explain it for the benefit of a certain member who seems to think otherwise and continues to think so. As @GusB has touched on above, we can now definitely file the X17 alongside 1029 under the category "it's not coming back" and draw a line under this subject. ;)

Ah I see! Sorry, I misinterpreted your post.

942 back, 1029 gone, X17 gone... that just leaves 601 and that XLB I think? :lol:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
You forgot the StreetAirs, 15 to Penicuik, 45 and 67!

I did read a post on Facebook that said the Streetairs had been moved to Newbridge, presumably to make way for the BYDs - if true. Haven't done a Central shift for a while so no idea.

driver1559

Agreement with LRT? Was that allowed in those days? Surely the decisions were just coincidental rather than two companies carving up the market between themselves. A few years later it all became very messy in any case so any agreement didn't do them much good.
Were the 23 and 27 run as proper sprinters with minibuses? I thought they were a similar size to the LRT equivalents. But I wasn't very familiar with these routes. For me the C1/C11 memories are vivid. In fact the aromatic experience when rammed like sardines in a tiny space is a memory that's hard to shake off!
Yes, there was some sort of gentleman's agreement and Lothian Regional Transport (LRT) withdrew from West Lothian. It must have been the biggest concidence in the world if they pulled out about the same time!

The 23 would have been a full size bus to start with, then converted to City Sprinter (I'm sure it was any of the 21-31 seat minibuses), and I'm pretty sure the C27 was straight minibuses (think was it the 31 seat ones?)

We don't know if this was even a Lothian vehicle - the colour does make it sound like it though

Edit: Was it one of these? (Not my photos)

View attachment 88441

View attachment 88442
They orginally had City Sprinter branding - never City Hopper.

Last edited by a moderator:

DunsBus

Established Member
yip there was some sort of gentlemans agreement, LRT came out of west lothian, must have been the biggest concidence in the world if they pulled out about the same time!)

the 23 would have been a full size bus to start with, then converted to the citysprinter (sure it was any of the 21-31 seat minibuses), pretty sure the c27 was straight minibuses (think was it the 31 seat ones?)

they orginally has City Sprinter branding - never City Hopper
The Eastern/SMT 23 started off as a Lothian Regional Council contract after LRT deregistered the evening and Sunday journeys at deregulation in 1986. Around a year later (September 1987) LRT reintroduced them commercially and the contract was cancelled. Eastern, however, decided to register the former contract journeys commercially and added a daytime service a few weeks later.
The next change to Eastern's 23 came in July 1989 when the evening and Sunday journeys were converted to City Sprinter minibus operation, then another change in February 1990 saw the northern terminus change to East Pilton where it was linked with the C2. The H-reg Renault midis made their debut on the linked C2/23 in April 1991, a few months before the two services were merged to form the C23.

Established Member
I did read a post on Facebook that said the Streetairs had been moved to Newbridge, presumably to make way for the BYDs - if true. Haven't done a Central shift for a while so no idea.
The Streetairs are still parked in Central gathering dust, the new electric buses are using different chargers further along that were installed a while back.

DunsBus

Established Member
The Streetairs are still parked in Central gathering dust, the new electric buses are using different chargers further along that were installed a while back.
All we need is for the StreetAirs' fates to be decided, and that'll be another taboo subject ticked off the list. :lol:

scosutsut

An East Coast Buses 209xx vehicle left the carriageway and fell down an embankment on the 15th whilst on the 104, staying upright, no injuries reported.

Looks like vehicle turned the left corner then didn't follow the road right, heading off road.

From the trackers it looks like it was 20946 (photos in newspaper are too low resolution to confirm)

A BUS has gone off the road on the western outskirts of Haddington.

The East Coast Buses vehicle left the westbound carriageway of the A199.

Police are said to be on scene.

An eyewitness said that no-one appeared to be hurt; it is thought that the only people on board were the driver and one passenger.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 10.50am on Tuesday, (June 15), police received report of a one-vehicle crash on the A199 near Haddington, in which a bus has left the road.

“No-one is injured and the road is closed to allow for recovery of the bus.

“The 49-year-old female driver will be reported to the Procurator Fiscal for a road traffic offence.”

A spokesperson for East Coast Buses said: “We can confirm one of our vehicles was involved in an accident this morning and we are assisting Police Scotland with their enquiries.”

Source (with a few pictures): https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/...s-vehicle-goes-off-road-a199-near-haddington/

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Apologies if already suggested but, I personally think it would be a good idea to make them driver shuttle buses.

Well we did have an electric Renault van on demo at Longstone for a week or two, wonder what the running costs of those would be vs Streetairs that have been off the road for nigh on two years (and the existing Transits).

I went back and looked at the name of the commenter and I really should have known better! :lol: (nobody on this forum that I'm aware of anyhow).

route101

Established Member
One type in the fleet I never got the chance to ride. Seen one on Princes St last year.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
One of them was in service until March 2020 if I have my dates right.
Yes, 287 entered service on the 3rd of March randomly until the 27th.
But, I think it's been mentioned several times now: Let's move on... We don't need to have the discussion relating the Streetair's again!

oldman

Where the StreetAirs part funded by the Government?

Scottish Green Bus Fund 7 Grant Awards

CompanyTotal grant offeredNo. BusesBus type
Lothian Buses£1,000,0006 electric busesVolvo B5LH Chassis
HITRANS£127,0061Optare Electric
First Glasgow No 1£131,25025E400MMC ADL Double Decker