• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
On the Lothian vehicle finder 171-5 are showing up in the ocean, have they been withdrawn?

As stated before on this thread, after a few days the AVL batteries run down and 'default' to a certain position. When 1-10 weren't used for a couple of days last week/over the weekend they appeared in the ocean, they're out on the 15 now and don't appear to have any water damage! :lol:

Also 171-175 were still included on the most recent company fleet list published on Lothian's website itself (and here).

scosutsut

East Coast Buses Drivers have had pay harmonised with Lothian Country - 8% increase from £10.88p/h to £11.73p/h, effective 6th June 2021, up for review again Jan 2022.

Unite still aiming for parity with "City" Driver rates of £14.18p/h.

Drivers at East Coast Buses, part of Lothian Buses, will get an 8 per cent pay increase which will bring their wages into line with Lothian county drivers.
Unite won the increase following last-ditch talks with the threat of strike action on the table,after they raised concerns over pay and conditions months ago.

The publicly-owned company had previously said they were not willing to negotiate until October.

It comes after the Evening News revealed that some drivers based in Musselburgh had to rely on foodbanks to feed their families because their pay rates are so poor.
East Coast drivers have not had a wage rise for four years and a pay offer was withdrawn last year when the pandemic hit.

Drivers at East Coast were on just £10.88 per hour while subsidiary Lothian Country, which operates services to West Lothian, pays £11.73 per hour.
The workers will now see around £37 a week extra in their pocket after the increase which is effective from 6 June.

However, they will still be paid over £3 less per hour than colleagues working for the main company.
Unite will continue talks in a bid to secure sick pay and overtime and seek equal pay with Lothian Buses city drivers who are paid £14.18 per hour.

Lothian buses have said they recognise ‘the disparity between the two operations’ and offered monthly talks with the next review in January.

Lyn Turner, Unite Regional Officer said: “We are pleased Lothian buses have agreed to harmonise East Coast drivers pay with Lothian country rates.

However, we also have commitment on further talks regarding overtime, sick pay and other anomalies that need to be addressed to ensure East Coast are not the poor relation in the Lothian family.”
"To be fair to the company they got round the table and saw that they needed to address the issues. The goal is to get city rates and terms and conditions but it’s one step at a time. We welcome this is a major step in the right direction.”

Lothian has been contacted for comment.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
East Coast Buses Drivers have had pay harmonised with Lothian Country - 8% increase from £10.88p/h to £11.73p/h, effective 6th June 2021, up for review again Jan 2022.

Fantastic news for ECB drivers. However, I wish I was on £14.18p/h as a 'city' driver, I have to wait another 18 months (3 years) for that. With their longer shifts they'll actually be earning more than a 'city' single deck driver (who don't get paid breaks)...... now where's my 21 plate Jaguar? :lol:

scosutsut

Fantastic news for ECB drivers. However, I wish I was on £14.18p/h as a 'city' driver, I have to wait another 18 months (3 years) for that. With their longer shifts they'll actually be earning more than a 'city' single deck driver (who don't get paid breaks)...... now where's my 21 plate Jaguar? :lol:
I was going to say, wasn't some aspects of First conditions that were retained for ECB which was one of the contributing factors in the original hourly rate disparity? Like paid breaks and being provided boots as uniform item, of all things I seem to remember it was?

Glad for them they've had the boost though, I think from Lothians perspective it's much easier to administer when you have less variations to account for and it's less for people to complain about but you've got to stack that against the cost of doing it!

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Fear no more... It has already been snapped.
It's not bad, actually. I was interested to see how the livery would be applied.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Could be a good portfolio of electric vehicles IF (and I stress IF) the StreetAir’s return anytime soon. I know the plan was to run them on a city centre route - which may be delayed, time will tell. If they were to end up on the normal routes then something close to Central (assuming they’re running from there) and that isn’t too long - around 30-45 mins, something like the 23. BYD’s certainly normally have decent city range though.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Could be a good portfolio of electric vehicles IF (and I stress IF) the StreetAir’s return anytime soon. I know the plan was to run them on a city centre route - which may be delayed, time will tell. If they were to end up on the normal routes then something close to Central (assuming they’re running from there) and that isn’t too long - around 30-45 mins, something like the 23. BYD’s certainly normally have decent city range though.

I'd heard they might be running out of Central, Longstone and Marine for evaluation. Eastern Electric vans have been at Longstone alot recently (make of that what you will, visible parked from the pavement) so make of that what you will.

Again, personal opinion and observations from public spaces.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The StreetAir's are impractical, they have poor seat capacity and despite their size somehow weigh over 13 tonnes which is more than a Hydrogen Streetdeck-FCEV! It's little wonder the range is so poor.

GALLANTON

Isn't it about time Lothian moved to the 21st century and gave their drivers the same pay and conditions regardless of what vehicle type they drive?

DunsBus

Established Member

Just seen this photo, posted to the Edinburgh Trams & Buses' group, of the remains of 1029 being dismantled in a scrapyard somewhere.

I guess this means that - as the photo more or less confirms its fate - we can now take it off the "taboo subjects" list.

So much for the numerous claims on here that 1029 would be back in service...! ;)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1623317532153.jpg
    FB_IMG_1623317532153.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

OmniCity999

Established Member

Just seen this photo, posted to the Edinburgh Trams & Buses' group, of the remains of 1029 being dismantled in a scrapyard somewhere.

I guess this means that - as the photo more or less confirms its fate - we can now take it off the "taboo subjects" list.

So much for the numerous claims on here that 1029 would be back in service...! ;)
It was condemned ages ago... but people still persisted it would be back...

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member

Closest I think we’ll get to 1029 now is in our kitchen cupboards. It was always Toast.

DunsBus

Established Member
Tell me about it - I lost count of the number of times I was shot down in flames for saying that it was scrap. "No, it'll be back", "no, it'll be back".

Turns out that I've been right all along. To those on here who happily shot me down in flames, I have the greatest of pleasure in saying this to you: "Told you so". :lol:

Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member
Not just @GusB. :)

I'm glad to have finally got concrete proof that 1029 is no more and to also have, finally, put one over on the doubters who were confident that it would be returning.

We can now, safely, draw a line under its fate and this particular topic!

Busman757

Tell me about it - I lost count of the number of times I was shot down in flames for saying that it was scrap. "No, it'll be back", "no, it'll be back".

Turns out that I've been right all along. To those on here who happily shot me down in flames, I have the greatest of pleasure in saying this to you: "Told you so". :lol:
To be fair you also said the same about 942 :rolleyes:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm sure that @GusB will be pleased that one of the topics on the roster for discussion is now no more.

Not just @GusB. :)

I'm glad to have finally got concrete proof that 1029 is no more and to also have, finally, put one over on the doubters who were confident that it would be returning.

We can now, safely, draw a line under its fate and this particular topic!
I can't express my true feelings without breaching forum rules, but I am delighted to hear that 1029's fate has been confirmed!

Anyone bringing up the subject after this post will find themselves becoming a mascot attached to the front of a Streetlite for all eternity. <(

Anyone bringing up the subject after this post will find themselves becoming a mascot attached to the front of a Streetlite for all eternity. <(
I don't get the Streetlite thing :lol:.

Anyways, does anyone know if the Enviro400 EV is a demonstrator for Lothian Buses or has been bought?

MotCO

Established Member

No, it's just being converted to open-top! :lol:

(Before the rumour mill starts up again, this was just a joke!)