• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Low Moor - new station - now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
When people mention a third platform at Halifax, I am left wondering if that is the best place? Could Brighouse be a better place for a terminating point considering the potential for Elland to rejoin the network.

Elland, if it ever opens, will most likely be served by both the regular hourly services (Leeds-Manchester via Dewsbury and Selby-Huddersfield via Bradford) that currently call at Brighouse. There has been talk of any new Halifax services running as a loop, out via Bradford, back via Dewsbury and vice-versa, with the existing Victoria via Dewsbury service running semi-fast on sections shared with other services. What actually happens though is anyone's guess...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XC victim

Does anyone know how the new Low Moor station is coming along and which services will call there when (or if) it opens?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Does anyone know how the new Low Moor station is coming along and which services will call there when (or if) it opens?

I last passed the site last week, it was dark but I could see temporary fencing had been erected and what appeared to be foundations for portakabins put in place.

As for services, the plan was always that the Selby to Huddersfield would call, all others wouldn't. GC have applied for permission to call though.
With the new franchise and a very different service pattern on the route, things might have changed. At a guess, the only other Northern services likely to call will be the new Leeds to Halifax service and possibly the all-stops Leeds to Victoria if there's the demand. Other services will be "Northern Connect" so probably won't.

Welshman

Established Member
Has the idea for Low Moor to be a park and ride station for Bradford now been dropped?

bluenoxid

Established Member
It is expected to have 130 parking spaces but it will not be a park and ride for Bradford per se. The roads round the area are too congested for anyone already on the motorway. It will be a nice addition to the network though

lejog

Established Member
I last passed the site last week, it was dark but I could see temporary fencing had been erected and what appeared to be foundations for portakabins put in place.

As for services, the plan was always that the Selby to Huddersfield would call, all others wouldn't. GC have applied for permission to call though.
With the new franchise and a very different service pattern on the route, things might have changed. At a guess, the only other Northern services likely to call will be the new Leeds to Halifax service and possibly the all-stops Leeds to Victoria if there's the demand. Other services will be "Northern Connect" so probably won't.

I think its safe to assume that the Leeds-Bradford-Huddersfield and Leeds-Halifax services will call. The Southport-Leeds stopper only passes through Low Moor some parts of the day - my assumption would be that this would be an extra rush hour service. Not specified in the franchise announcement, but the Leeds-Halifax service may be extended via Brighouse to Leeds in rush hours, assuming that the Chester Northern Connect service is run fast via Brighouse rather than a stopper.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think its safe to assume that the Selby-Huddersfield and Leeds-Halifax services will call. The Southport-Leeds stopper only passes through Low Moor some parts of the day - my assumption would be that this would be an extra rush hour service. Also, not specified but the Leeds-Halifax service may be extended via Brighouse to Leeds in rush hours, assuming that the Chester Northern Connect service is run fast rather than a stopper.

I'd meant to say that the Leeds to Halifax may call if it is routed via Bradford and not Dewsbury. I'm not sure if the new platform at Halifax is planned to be accessible from both directions though. The possibility of it being a "loop" I imagine is down to whether there's a path via Dewsbury... Though the line through New Pudsey will also be busier than it is today. To run as a loop it would be odd if it only ran in one direction so paths would be needed both ways. Interesting times!

cavie78

Does anyone know where I can find a list of new stations that have been approved for construction and also a list of new stations where work has actually started?

lejog

Established Member
I'd meant to say that the Leeds to Halifax may call if it is routed via Bradford and not Dewsbury.

Well its shown on the Bradford map as running via Bradford! (The Brighouse route is shown only on the Chester and Southport maps).

I'm not sure if the new platform at Halifax is planned to be accessible from both directions though. The possibility of it being a "loop" I imagine is down to whether there's a path via Dewsbury... Though the line through New Pudsey will also be busier than it is today. To run as a loop it would be odd if it only ran in one direction so paths would be needed both ways. Interesting times!

Having looked at whats left of the old platform at Halifax, there seems to be room for a 100m platform extending from the section now occupied by Eureka. It would have to be moved further toward the town, because there is now only room for one set of tracks between it and that end of the island platform. Presumably to allow through running, the new platform could be used for eastbound through services. The current eastbound island platform could then be used for any trains terminating/stopping then running through i.e. the current Bradford/Huddersfield service and the Leeds/Halifax whether or not it is extended via Brighouse (a "loop" service would require breaks).

As for paths via Dewsbury, there are four fast trains and only three "skip-stop" services, which means if the fast services are anywhere near clockface there may be room for the Chester Northern Connect service between the fourth pair.

All speculation on my part, but certainly consistent with known proposals for future Calder Valley services. As you say interesting times!

superkev

Established Member
With just 120 car parking spaces with only access from unimproved local roads I can't see the locals being too pleased with the increased traffic and street parking if the station is popular.

I can't understand why there is no direct access from the non too distant M606.
K

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It is three months since we had a posting of update on this thread, so can some of our local forum members oblige, please.

Incidentally, has a new 3-letter station code been allocated to this station.

The platform and a base of a waiting shelter appeared to be in place on Friday.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just passed the site of Low Moor station, seems to be coming on nicely. Then again if Kirkstall Forge is anything to go by, actually building the thing is the easy part! I did try to get a photo but delayed response from my "smart"phone means it isn't great. I'm on a Grand Central service which will probably call there this time next year...

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 46

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Posting # 474 on the Kirkstall Forge thread says that the opening at Low Moor station has been put back on account of the presence being discovered of a mine shaft. I wonder what caused this to be discovered at such a late stage in the proceedings?

quantinghome

Established Member
Posting # 474 on the Kirkstall Forge thread says that the opening at Low Moor station has been put back on account of the presence being discovered of a mine shaft. I wonder what caused this to be discovered at such a late stage in the proceedings?

Organisations often skimp on site investigations as they have a limited budget during the development stage of a project. However, there is a popular saying among geotechnical engineers: 'you pay for a site investigation whether you have one or not'!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
It is expected to have 130 parking spaces but it will not be a park and ride for Bradford per se. The roads round the area are too congested for anyone already on the motorway. It will be a nice addition to the network though

Low Moor is a rather odd location for a new station as it is in one of the more industrial areas of Bradford with relatively little housing within walking distance. This means that most intending passengers, e.g. those from Wyke, Odsal or Woodside, will need to park at the station, which will be the only one in the south of the city. They might not bother using Low Moor to get to Bradford as there are plenty of direct buses, and it is difficult to get a car across the busy A641 Huddersfield Road from Woodside. But might use it for longer distance journeys to Leeds or Manchester.

Sadly the PTE had little choice as the Bradford - Halifax line is in a deep tunnel at Wyke. The old Wyke station is almost in rural Norwood Green.

To the north of the city, Apperley Bridge also has relatively few houses nearby being in a semi-rural location but is intended as a P&R.

Last edited:

JohnB57

Link here.

THE discovery of a huge underground mine shaft, big enough to fit an aeroplane's body into, has pushed back the opening of a new railway station by at least three months.

The unmapped cavity, part of centuries-old mine works, was found under the site of the long-awaited Low Moor railway station.

Contractors had originally hoped to finish the £10.8 million project at the end of April, but this has now been pushed back to July, with trains expected to start calling there later in the summer.

But supporters of the station maintain it will be worth the wait.

The Friends of Low Moor Station, a pressure group which led a long campaign for the new facility, said the discovery of the mine shaft could have threatened to set the project back more than a year, but contingency plans put in place by transport bosses had worked well.

Chairman Dave Stevens said: "While we’re obviously disappointed in the delay, because we’re all looking forward to using the station, we’re quite impressed by the contingency planning that has gone on.

"The discovery of the previously unmapped mine-workings has only caused a minimal delay to the schedule - it could have caused huge problems."

The new station has been funded by West Yorkshire Combined Authority, Bradford Council and Network Rail.

The site was known to have a mining past, so contingency plans were in place from the outset, in case unmapped mine shafts were discovered.

These kicked into action when one was found directly under where the station's lift and footbridge was planned.

The cavity, at 60m deep and 12m wide, was said to be large enough to fit the fuselage of a commercial jet inside.

It has since been filled in and capped.

Bradford Council's transport boss, Councillor Val Slater, who also sits on the Combined Authority transport committee, said the delay couldn't be helped as safety had to come first.

She said: "When the design was done the old maps indicated that there was a mine shaft there. However, when work began, the maps were inaccurate and it wasn't where it said it was on the map, it was somewhere else.

"Unfortunately, it was right where the passenger lift was meant to go."

The mine works are believed to date back around 200 to 300 years, pre-dating an iron works which stood on the site.

The original Low Moor station closed in 1965 and the idea of reopening it was first mooted in 1999.

But the development, off Cleckheaton Road, has been beset by delays.

The new station will be served by hourly trains to Bradford Interchange, Leeds, Halifax and Huddersfield.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Has the three-letter code for Low Moor been allocated yet, does anyone know?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I notice that Elland has its code too, ELN. Just requires platforms and the rest of the infrastructure.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I notice that Elland has its code too, ELN. Just requires platforms and the rest of the infrastructure.

Do they know something we don't?

A station has been an aspiration for a long time and was originally expected to open at the same time as Brighouse in 2000. The code was probably reserved as part of that process. Elland is a timing point so appears on RTT with the code included.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
An update on Low Moor, work has really picked up recently, as this rather poor shot from the top deck of the 268 bus shows:

Attachments

• 20160414_174539.jpg
    20160414_174539.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 84

HowardGWR

Established Member
An update on Low Moor, work has really picked up recently, as this rather poor shot from the top deck of the 268 bus shows:
Don't apologise, please. All of us who have the opportunity to photo the emerging new railway should do so if poss. I would, but nothing happening in my area (Salisbury Exeter - how do you photo the wifi just introduced on our 159s)?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Don't apologise, please. All of us who have the opportunity to photo the emerging new railway should do so if poss. I would, but nothing happening in my area (Salisbury Exeter - how do you photo the wifi just introduced on our 159s)?

I did manage to sneak the end of a 158 in I suppose... I was glad of Arriva on-board WiFi myself when it came to uploading the thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.