• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSL running (and WCR try to run) mainline 'extras' this week on behalf of Avanti West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevread1

Also, rumors abound West Coast is also being hired for a Preston Euston and return service using 86401/259, not sure what coaching stock is being used.
LSL are now not doing Preston only Manchester using the mk3 set.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Which HST, the blue one?
As I understand it, yes. Only other set is the 2+5 "staycation one", and that's presumably too short.

Also, rumors abound West Coast is also being hired for a Preston Euston and return service using 86401/259, not sure what coaching stock is being used.
Yes, Lancaster rather than Preston and ECS to Crewe. 86401/259 topping and tailing

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don't think either of those are true. The Preston is WCRC and the Manchester is almost certainly the Mk 3s + AC electric.

WCRC aren't doing Preston though, their diagram is for Lancaster & Crewe:

1Z85 0540 Lancaster - Euston
1Z87 1025 Euston - Crewe
1Z98 1436 Crewe - Euston
1Z89 1936 Euston - Lancaster

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I'm not sure there is a Preston service as such. Isn't what is being described as the Preston service the Lancaster service?

reckon I can use staff tickets (won't elaborate as to not reveal too much info, but they're essentially day rovers for various TOCs) on these?

pdeaves

Established Member
Does that mean I will need to buy a first class ticket in order to use that train, or I can just get on with a standard class ticket?
It's aimed at moving the public around. There is no sense in making it first class only, it will just run empty and use up track capacity for no reason. So, in my view, it must accept standard class fares.

reckon I can use staff tickets (won't elaborate as to not reveal too much info, but they're essentially day rovers for various TOCs) on these?
It's running under contract to Avanti, yes? In which case (without knowing anything to the contrary), it is an Avanti service the same as any other.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm not sure there is a Preston service as such. Isn't what is being described as the Preston service the Lancaster service?
The piece I read originally said:

2 LSL diagrams vice Avanti - one Manchester, one Preston

1 WCRC diagram additionals - Lancaster/Crewe

It now appears there will only be one LSL diagram using the Mk3 set, running Manchesters

Starmill

Veteran Member
If it's correct that these are to be Avanti West Coast services, any kind of ticket or pass which would be valid on another Avanti West Coast service would be valid on these, subject to any normal restrictions.

It seems that the suggestion that it's an Avanti West Coast service but subcontracted is the correct one? Hiring rolling stock or train crews, or both, is actually quite a common scenario.

fgwrich

Established Member
What happens if/when the enthusiasts take up all the seats?

Little danger of that seen so far from the Friday loadings!

Is that going to be riddled with stewards I guess? I thought using slamdoor vehicles with droplights on scheduled mainline services was no longer allowed? Mind you, have locks been fitted to the Night Riviera windows yet?

Yes. The CDL based droplight locks have all been fitted and are now in operation. Expect to see similar eventually rolled out to those with Mainline registered MK3s in the future.

Trackman

Established Member
Little danger of that seen so far from the Friday loadings!
Indeed, and no Ubers, packed tubes with buses and the like.
Saw a tweet from Avanti today 'Euston will be extremely busy on Friday' sounds like fun for the normal 'extremely busy Friday'. ... without delays like the knitting coming down (god forbid!)

jshaw

It is listed as "compulsory reservation" in the timetable data though.
Well it’s not. I went on Avanti website to book a ticket on it, no seat reservations available. Just sells you an Off Peak single.

pdeaves

Established Member
It seems that the suggestion that it's an Avanti West Coast service but subcontracted is the correct one? Hiring rolling stock or train crews, or both, is actually quite a common scenario.
Post 10 shows they are in 'the system' as LS (i.e. not running under Avanti's own case) and post 11 quotes "Locomotive Services Ltd will be operating some trains on behalf of Avanti West Coast", though without saying where this came from.

miklcct

On Moderation
With a counted place I think. One of them was full today.
I have tried hard but it's impossible to get the train shown up for any itineraries involving a connection on any retailers which list the train in a Euston - Manchester search (I need a ticket from Kilburn High Road, which is cheaper than one from Euston) because it runs on the exact same route but is overtaken by the 12:40 service, so there are no combinations of via / avoid locations which can block the 12:40 train, and no journey planners will offer this train as part of a connection when the 12:40 train arrives the destination earlier.

And despite unticking the reservation box on Trainsplit (which doesn't have this extra train) when buying the ticket I am still issued with a seat reservation on the 12:40 service. If I have chance to visit a ticket office beforehand I will see if I can discard the 12:40 reservation and get it replaced with one on the 12:33 service.

jshaw

I have tried hard but it's impossible to get the train shown up for any itineraries involving a connection on any retailers which list the train in a Euston - Manchester search (I need a ticket from Kilburn High Road, which is cheaper than one from Euston) because it runs on the exact same route but is overtaken by the 12:40 service, so there are no combinations of via / avoid locations which can block the 12:40 train, and no journey planners will offer this train as part of a connection when the 12:40 train arrives the destination earlier.

And despite unticking the reservation box on Trainsplit (which doesn't have this extra train) when buying the ticket I am still issued with a seat reservation on the 12:40 service. If I have chance to visit a ticket office beforehand I will see if I can discard the 12:40 reservation and get it replaced with one on the 12:33 service.
I booked mine on the Avanti website (the only place I could get it to work)

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The data for the LSL services today has updated so they’re (duplicated) in industry data as Avanti services. As such I think the intention is that walk-up tickets will be valid without a reservation being needed.

The Prisoner

Might it help if Avanti actually told people these extra services were running and how they work? Can’t see anything on their socials.

There are standard class only services today showing on their app as Avanti operated at 0900 (2h 59), 1155 (2h 8) & 1355 (2h 12 - both declassified pendolino/voyager?), 1621 (2h 37), 1715 (2h 7) & 1755 (2h 12 - again assume both pen/voy)

So five daytime “extras” - 2 x LSL and 3 x declassified “normal” services? The 1715 should run anyway, so 5 extras and then have taken the decision to declassify 1st/SP on the 1715 as it will be busy?

Why leave us to work it out?!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Might it help if Avanti actually told people these extra services were running and how they work? Can’t see anything on their socials.
One would have thought Avanti would have heavily promoted them as they are services that are likely to actually run.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This extract from an e-mail sent to me a short while ago from someone boarding today's extra at Crewe for Manchester probably won't surprise anyone who is watching Avanti at the moment:

On another note, when I asked the grumpy-looking train dispatcher at Crewe (in Avanti uniform) if the entire train was 1st class or if I needed to walk further down the platform, he told me in no uncertain terms I wasn’t allowed to get on at all.

Then the door was opened by a LSL steward looking happy, beckoning me on, and the display on the door window clearly also stated “this is an Avanti West Coast Service”. I pointed to it quizzically and the dispatcher shrugged his shoulders and walked away!

Starmill

Veteran Member
This extract from an e-mail sent to me a short while ago from someone boarding today's extra at Crewe for Manchester probably won't surprise anyone who is watching Avanti at the moment:
It's a very Railway thing to pay a large amount of money for an extra train to run and then try to tell people that they aren't allowed to travel on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.