• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LUL All Grades Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1964

Established Member
This is a different mandate to the original 'All Grades Strike' post (which may or may not be renewed). And of course, different to the ongoing Night Tube dispute too.

Is it far to say LU staff are feeling aggrieved?

So if Underground staff had a pay rise few weeks ago, there are no planned pension changes and No announced redundancies. What is this strike about.

And why Monday after a holiday weekend when there might be those having extra day at home.

Be interesting to see if Elizabeth line can pick up some of the slack, will rather demonstrate if RMT could find strike action lot less effective going forward, especially after through running starts

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mawkie

So if Underground staff had a pay rise few weeks ago, there are no planned pension changes and No announced redundancies. What is this strike about.
The well publicised reduction of station staff by 600 and the impact on staff and public.
Be interesting to see if Elizabeth line can pick up some of the slack, will rather demonstrate if RMT could find strike action lot less effective going forward, especially after through running starts
I agree.
To be honest if I was still commuting and some clown was trying to block my route for crowd control reasons, and if they received some polite (or otherwise) banter they should blame the union for putting them in a position to be potentially abused. To make it clear I wouldn’t abuse anyone, but many will if they are stopped from getting from job to earn to pay their bills.
I'm baffled by this section of your comment. If you're referring to staff members as clowns then I don't see how that adds anything to the discussion. I didn't understand where crowd control comes into things either. I also think we need to move away from the idea that "The Union" is some sort of nebulous overlord that has to take the blame for everything - the RMT is a members led organisation; an individual brought up a concern at a Branch meeting, that was discussed locally, then escalated through the Machinery within LU, and eventually brought to the attention of the executive, who then ballot members, and call for strike action if they reach the mandate. They did not reach the mandate on a recent campaign.

So if anyone abuses staff on a picket line, or gateline, or even during crowd control measures - the person to blame is the person doing the abusing.

Day 1 of the overtime ban yesterday resulted in a number of stations in and around Central London closing due to the station falling below minimum staffing numbers.

As for the strike on Monday, I expect it will be well supported by station staff resulting in large numbers of central london stations remaining closed. However, it is now quite typical for Ambassadors (TfL office staff with basic training) to cover during strike days, so LU are trying to mitagate the impact of the closures (as they should of course.) I hope Londoners are not inconvenienced too much on Monday, but the cuts to station numbers are brutal and will have a detrimental impact on both CSA working life and the most disadvantaged passengers too.

The well publicised reduction of station staff by 600 and the impact on staff and public.

I agree.

I'm baffled by this section of your comment. If you're referring to staff members as clowns then I don't see how that adds anything to the discussion. I didn't understand where crowd control comes into things either. I also think we need to move away from the idea that "The Union" is some sort of nebulous overlord that has to take the blame for everything - the RMT is a members led organisation; an individual brought up a concern at a Branch meeting, that was discussed locally, then escalated through the Machinery within LU, and eventually brought to the attention of the executive, who then ballot members, and call for strike action if they reach the mandate. They did not reach the mandate on a recent campaign.

So if anyone abuses staff on a picket line, or gateline, or even during crowd control measures - the person to blame is the person doing the abusing.

Day 1 of the overtime ban yesterday resulted in a number of stations in and around Central London closing due to the station falling below minimum staffing numbers.

As for the strike on Monday, I expect it will be well supported by station staff resulting in large numbers of central london stations remaining closed. However, it is now quite typical for Ambassadors (TfL office staff with basic training) to cover during strike days, so LU are trying to mitagate the impact of the closures (as they should of course.) I hope Londoners are not inconvenienced too much on Monday, but the cuts to station numbers are brutal and will have a detrimental impact on both CSA working life and the most disadvantaged passengers too.

We can expect a lot of this "what's it all about?" Tosh regarding action going forward, usually as a bad faith take on the current Govt/Company line that "nothing is happening," when of course an effective cut of 10% of frontline positions is what's actually "going on."

600 never to be filled "vacancies" from a frontline of 5000 is going to mean maintaining the same level of Station service going forward will have significant impacts on existing Staff - and will prove a drain on budgets or force what this Government are actually after......a watering down of Sect12 and required minimum staffing.

The Strikes will be well supported - at least initially - because Staff aren't stupid, they know even Management aren't doing this because they think it's a great idea and they worry just what comes next. Because there will be a next.

Simon11

Established Member
Does anyone have some insider or historic strike knowledge of what potential key central London stations and tube services will be running on Monday? You would presume Victoria would be closed, but would the District line have a better chance of being open?

Travelling from Ruislip to Westminster for a very important event on Monday and trying to hazard a guess of what the best option could be (if any...)!

Dstock7080

Established Member
Train staff are not involved in tomorrow’s dispute, however if the number of consecutive stations closed is excessive then management may decide to withdraw services.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does anyone have some insider or historic strike knowledge of what potential key central London stations and tube services will be running on Monday? You would presume Victoria would be closed, but would the District line have a better chance of being open?

Travelling from Ruislip to Westminster for a very important event on Monday and trying to hazard a guess of what the best option could be (if any...)!
Where exactly in Westminster? Walking is likely the best option.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately historical trends aren’t particularly helpful, as pre-2014 many sub surface stations were kept open by Duty Station Managers acting as the supervisor (all sub surface stations must have at least 1 supervisor with some needing more), with CSAs made up of office staff. In 2014 all DSMs were made redundant, therefore I would expect to see fewer stations remaining open compared to previous.

rebmcr

Established Member
In 2018, the station staff strike meant the District was pretty much express through Zone 1 — my then commute, West Ham to Hammersmith, was actually quicker!

PinnerMet

I would get a Chiltern into Marylebone and be prepared to walk to Westminster if you can.

Will Overground 100% be running? - I have an exam in Central London that I am unable to move unfortunately

PeterC

Established Member
Can the EL portions of the zone 1 stations be operated separately from the LUL portions?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can the EL portions of the zone 1 stations be operated separately from the LUL portions?
The Central area stations Bond St - Whitechapel inclusive are LU stations, and require an appropriate number of appropriately trained LUL staff to be present.

SynthD

Can they cordon off the other lines and run them as EL-only stations?

Mawkie

Train staff are not involved in tomorrow’s dispute, however if the number of consecutive stations closed is excessive then management may decide to withdraw services.
Although the latest Change Assurance Plan makes the point that there is no limit as to how many consecutively closed stations there can be and still be able run a train in service through them.
Will Overground 100% be running? - I have an exam in Central London that I am unable to move unfortunately
Overground is largely unaffected as it is LU CSAs that are on strike tomorrow. Some Overground stations will be affected I'm sure depending on the level integration with LU, but interchange stations which are served by other providers are exactly the stations LU will try to prioritise with extra Ambassador staff. (Check before you travel as always.)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Central area stations Bond St - Whitechapel inclusive are LU stations, and require an appropriate number of appropriately trained LUL staff to be present.
Could TCR be open only at the Dean Street end? Would Farringdon have to shut Thameslink as well? Liverpool Street has the Broadgate exit straight from the EL? Whitechapel same as Farringdon, would LO have to stop?

TFN

My train just now from Canary Wharf to Paddington skipped Whitechapel and Farringdon. But there were people waiting at Farringdon for the train!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
My train just now from Canary Wharf to Paddington skipped Whitechapel and Farringdon. But there were people waiting at Farringdon for the train!

Not sure how they got down there considering the station was closed! Those central stations for the Elizabeth Line are now starting to open though after LU have seemingly mustered the staff.

Archbemesis

Something Ive wondered is as seeing as there is a Morden-Kennington service as a result, where do northbound terminators (from Morden) go? Do they use the sidings or use the loop the other way round?

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Something Ive wondered is as seeing as there is a Morden-Kennington service as a result, where do northbound terminators go? Do they use the sidings or use the loop the other way round?
loop is now bi-directional, first trains from Battersea use this method to return southbound.

Archbemesis

loop is now bi-directional, first trains from Battersea use this method to return southbound.
that’s from Battersea though, I expect that its different for trains coming from Morden? (should have been clear from my earlier comment, sorry)

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could TCR be open only at the Dean Street end?
That is what has ended up happening in the end. Nonetheless it still requires LU staff availability.

Farringdon initially didn’t have adequate staff to open whatsoever, when more were available it was just for Crossrail services, then more became available allowing TLRailUK and Met line to call.

Snow1964

Established Member
All lines still showing as suspended at 07:00

On Tuesday June 7:

• Some stations may still be closed at the beginning of the day
  • If you need to travel, try to do it after 08:00

What to do​

• If you can, avoid travelling where possible on Monday 6 June
  • On Tuesday June 7, avoid travelling before 08:00
  • If you need to travel, allow more time for your journey

The TfL webpage is suggesting travel after 8am so giving themselves just 60 minutes from now to introduce the full advertised service

I also wonder what time TfL mean when they say beginning of the day 5am, … 6am …. 7am …. what time do they define as beginning

Last edited:

Mawkie

Just a quick question... Is it some kind of industry standard to represent the closed parts of the network in full colour and the open parts in grey?

(Quite a few passengers I spoke to on my local picket line yesterday had come to the station based on misunderstanding this online map.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220607-100238.jpg
    Screenshot_20220607-100238.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.