• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Made to get off train at Cheltenham Spa due to ticket issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1609

Established Member
So, no data on the phone, no cash and an expired debit card - you need to reflect on how that looks and consider yourself rather fortunate.
Does anybody still carry cash? I go to an atm once a month ish to get £20 to get my hair cut that's about the sum of my cash transactions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
"Open return" unfortunately is not a defined term, despite the very vast majority of people using it in a way that is contrary to the Trainline. I know that they wanted a period return, they know that they wanted a period return, but the Trainline just use it to flog a flexible ticket.

Just another reason to wish they'd go bust.

I've had to sort out very many poor sods who have unwittingly fallen victim to the Splitsave issue referenced by RPI.

The look of realisation when you point out the word Day accompanied by Open Return on the Trainline app can be gut wrenching.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Does anybody still carry cash? I go to an atm once a month ish to get £20 to get my hair cut that's about the sum of my cash transactions.
A couple of people I know say that they only make cashless transactions; but several times have had to be bailed out by friends when either they are in a small shop that's cash only or their method of making cashless purchases has failed due to a tech error.

Worst case I saw was a few years ago heading south on the A1. Stopped at Ferrybridge services to fill up with petrol and the tills weren't taking debit/credit card payments as the link to the bank had failed. I had enough cash to fill up and get on my way, but several cars had to stay there until the link was restored as they didn't have enough fuel to make it to the next services.

pelli

If Trainline are doing that they really should not be. "Open return" means "Period return" to most people. That must be causing no end of trouble, good to see you take a pragmatic line on it.
As I pointed out in the thread about this Trainline problem,
virtually all TOC apps except the GoVia ones offer day returns when "open return" is selected (link to post), but the ticket names including "Day Return" or "Return" are usually shown clearly, whereas Trainline is particularly bad because their "SplitSave" option is named just "SplitSave" with "Return same day" shown in smaller font below (albeit still clearly), and since this option is the cheapest it is also lifted to the top of the options list that is otherwise grouped into "Return same day" and "Return within 1 month" below (link to post).

It's not clear whether this is relevant to this thread, though. (I tried a few test bookings but couldn't get Trainline (or even Trainsplit) to offer splits for Cheltenham Spa to Cardiff.) And even if this is what happened, I don't think it would change any of the advice being given.

If the OP breached the Byelaws, which they did, this would be highly unwise regardless of staff conduct. I am sure I recall a case on here where a complaint caused prosecution proceedings to be initiated.
Probably this thread:
The poster boarded a train before their ticket purchase in their app was completed (which is a no-no) and was immediately inspected. Since the purchase hadn't gone through, the inspector insisted a new ticket be bought directly from him, and after the poster refused they were kicked off the train. The poster states "we complained, now we have a letter asking for our version as with reference to contravention of railway regulations", and our assumption (although it's not completely clear from their posts) is that their details were not taken at the time of the incident, but they provided them afterwards with their complaint, so if they had not complained then the letter could not have been sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.