• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Disruption At Nottingham Due To Fire (12/01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And all the other TOCs that operate from Nottingham and Network Rail that actually did the work also ya know the Fire service for putting the thing out...
Clearly they were just hanging onto EMT's glorious coat tails :rolleyes:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
I can't imagine it was that busy in the 6th hour of the morning. There would only be a select few people entering the toilets at that time, and I imagine the concourse CCTV will cover the entrance to the toilets.
I have used the male side of the 'implicated' toilets, there is a pay to enter turnstile before the m/f split and I would have expected that point at the very least to have CCTV.

Andyh82

Established Member
I don’t think anyone expected the main concourse to be open so soon. There must have been working round the clock cleaning up, even if it’s just mopping up surplus water and cleaning surfaces.

I assume all the shops and food outlets are still closed?

MG11

I don’t think anyone expected the main concourse to be open so soon. There must have been working round the clock cleaning up, even if it’s just mopping up surplus water and cleaning surfaces.

I assume all the shops and food outlets are still closed?
Probably...the independent cafe...The Jam (?) or Jam Jar is it called? on Platform 1/3 might be open, as it is away from the affected area. As I said, if you are travelling with EMT, most of the usual services should have a trolley service.

WatcherZero

Established Member
From the photos looks like most of the damage has been confined to non-public areas, the station had a lucky escape from an operations side, just the control room gutted.

howittpie

Probably...the independent cafe...The Jam (?) or Jam Jar is it called? on Platform 1/3 might be open, as it is away from the affected area. As I said, if you are travelling with EMT, most of the usual services should have a trolley service.

The buffet was open on platform 1 but due to lack of water no hot drinks. It was sandiches and cold drinks.

johntea

Established Member
The problem (in this context) is that toilets tend not to have CCTV for fairly obvious reasons. So if you were going to deliberately get up to no good, it's not a bad place to do so, as I guess the perpetrator him/herself thought.

Quite a few do now, they're allowed just not directly pointing at the toilets - so they could place near the wash basins and such without an issue. Several schools do it to try and prevent bullying.

Trainfan344

Established Member
But people might not want to utilise the trolley services? Hence the fact the poster was concerned about purchasing before travel. Besides, those trolley services don't charge enough... ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
From the photos looks like most of the damage has been confined to non-public areas, the station had a lucky escape from an operations side, just the control room gutted.

Not being very knowledgeable on internal operational railway matters, may I ask exactly what equipment is contained in the control room, what tasks are taken out in there and the estimated time required to have an operational control room once again?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Not being very knowledgeable on internal operational railway matters, may I ask exactly what equipment is contained in the control room, what tasks are taken out in there and the estimated time required to have an operational control room once again?
The Customer Service office on P3 is perfectly fine. Its the booking office that has been affected as that backed onto the toilet block area.

kevjs

Notts South MP Lilian Greenwood has posted some pictures from inside the station showing some of what's open

https://twitter.com/LilianGreenwood/status/952155619821326336?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/nottingham-train-station-fire-open-1047660

For a split second, I thought the other bridge was fire damaged too, then I realised it was smoke dust from the trains underneath!
I thought the same, then noticed where about on the train they were! I'm sure they were all white back in 2014...

BestWestern

Established Member

Sadly probably all of the CCTV recording equipment :'(

thenorthern

Established Member
Regarding the control room I would think the CCTV footage is backed up elsewhere in case the place catches fire.

Has there been any mention of if and when Platforms 6 and 7 will reopen?

thenorthern

Established Member
Just checked with East Midlands Trains and all the London services will now run but the Lincoln to Leicester, Robin Hood Line and Matlock to Newark Castle services will continue to be disrupted as the engineers haven't yet confirmed if its safe to use the track the building when Platforms 6 and 7 are.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Regarding the control room I would think the CCTV footage is backed up elsewhere in case the place catches fire.
I don't think that is very likely. A fire like this one affecting the recording equipment is highly unusual and I can't see how anyone would justify duplicating it elsewhere just for this sort of eventuality.

However, this ought to be considered a major investigation with significant resources available, so if the recorders are anything less than totally destroyed there'll be a good chance of recovering the pictures.

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Not that much really. The most important would, ironically, be the fire alarm control panel! The station PA would probably be located there too, as well as the radio comms consoles used for communication amongst staff.
Apart from that, most work is done on PCs, so as long as there are data links available to access the relevant programs, they can be based anywhere.
CCTV is normally viewed live and downloaded, but the actual footage will be stored on servers in remote comms rooms, so again, with available data links, screens can be set up anywhere.

kevjs

Apart from that, most work is done on PCs, so as long as there are data links available to access the relevant programs, they can be based anywhere.

Well that's on of there issues - the IT Infrastructure has been destroyed so no PIS, no card payments, no PA... Wonder if a few staff have ended up across the road at Loxley House?

I don't think that is very likely. A fire like this one affecting the recording equipment is highly unusual and I can't see how anyone would justify duplicating it elsewhere just for this sort of eventuality.

It's not too uncommon nowadays for CCTV to be backed up to "the cloud" - especially handy if someone nicks the CCTV gear - but means head office can access whatever is needed. No idea if that would be something Network Rail do.

However, this ought to be considered a major investigation with significant resources available, so if the recorders are anything less than totally destroyed there'll be a good chance of recovering the pictures.
Nottingham also has more than it's fair share of CCTV so could probably get some from outside the station too to help identify possibilities.

MG11

Just had a thought...the Prosecutions Office is fairly near to the location of the fire too. I hope none of the paperwork got damaged.

LowLevel

Established Member
Just had a thought...the Prosecutions Office is fairly near to the location of the fire too. I hope none of the paperwork got damaged.

It's nowhere near the main station building. It's on the other side of the middle footbridge.

Crossover

Established Member
As echoed by others, an exceptional job by all concerned with the incident. To have such a substantial train service running so soon after a major fire is testament to the work carried out by all parties

That would explain the disruption to the various IT systems. As per one of the other posts about the TVM's working but not accepting cards, I suspect it could be a location of some part of the network infrastructure (possibly links to the "outside world") as the TVM's would need an Internet link to auth cards

Quite a few do now, they're allowed just not directly pointing at the toilets - so they could place near the wash basins and such without an issue. Several schools do it to try and prevent bullying.

The school I went to had CCTV covering the sink areas or entrances to all the student facilities for a year or two before I left as a student - I would estimate installation of such to have been around 2005

Has there been any mention of if and when Platforms 6 and 7 will reopen?

This afternoon hopefully

Is 6/7 only accessible via one of the other platforms and the old bridge then?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Is 6/7 only accessible via one of the other platforms and the old bridge then?

6 is the other side of the island from 4 and 5 so accessed by the same stairs and lifts. 7 is a side platform with its own set of steps off each bridge, lift from the main building, and also an exit to the street at the far end of the car park. At one time 7 (which was then numbered 6) was rarely used and only accessible via the "centre" bridge or a direct route through the then car park.

My guess is that 6 and 7 were unusable because their tracks pass directly beneath a part of the building that was affected by the fire, but last time I looked 6 was back in use so the structural engineers must have given the OK for trains to pass under this.

Edit: Just checked again, all platforms now appear to be in use with a full service running, temporary toilets near platform 7 and lifts to platforms 1-6 but not 7. The platform 7 lift is very close to the seat of the fire. Still very limited ticketing facilities.

Crossover

Established Member
6 is the other side of the island from 4 and 5 so accessed by the same stairs and lifts. 7 is a side platform with its own set of steps off each bridge, lift from the main building, and also an exit to the street at the far end of the car park. At one time 7 (which was then numbered 6) was rarely used and only accessible via the "centre" bridge or a direct route through the then car park.

My guess is that 6 and 7 were unusable because their tracks pass directly beneath a part of the building that was affected by the fire, but last time I looked 6 was back in use so the structural engineers must have given the OK for trains to pass under this.

Ah OK, thanks. I'm not too au fait with the layout of platforms at Nottingham so wasn't 100% sure

kevjs

For those unsure of the layout the following is the current state of play as far as I understand it

Bus = Where the Rail Replacement Buses run from
Nat Ex = The temporary National Express Stops (temporary due to Broadmarsh Bus Station Demolition)
L (in Green) = Lifts open to passengers
L (in Red) = Lift Closed to Passengers
Yellow Shaded Area = Area opened to passengers to enter the station but with shops/ticket machines unavailable due to IT and Water Failures
Red Shared Area = Fire damaged area closed to passengers
Green Shared Area = Part of station operating 100% normally
Orange Shared Area = No idea of the current status - I believe this is probably closed though?
The Public Footpath to the east of the car park, along platform 7, and over the central bridge should now be accessible?

LrOi2bA.jpg

thenorthern

Established Member
East Midlands Trains have now put out on Twitter that all services will run as normal tomorrow however given that its a Sunday service that will be operating there would be less trains in any case.

Are all the platforms now fully operational?

howittpie

East Midlands Trains have now put out on Twitter that all services will run as normal tomorrow however given that its a Sunday service that will be operating there would be less trains in any case.

Are all the platforms now fully operational?

Yes all the platforms have been operational since mid afternoon is my understanding. Add to the fact that engineering work means no trains via Derby and a replacement bus running would have probably meant that even if they weren't a full Sunday service could have operated.

Status
Not open for further replies.