Major Disruption At Nottingham Due To Fire (12/01)

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by MG11, 12 Jan 2018 at 07:37.

1. Mugby

Mugby Established Member

Ah, I didn't know that. Given that the Southern Concourse is fairly new, presumably it should be well equipped with CCTV?

2. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

It is a very bold claim even without the fire being taken in to account. :)

3. thenorthern

thenorthern Established Member

Nottingham Station.png

Using Google Maps I have tried to create a plan of how the layout is, from I understand the fire started in the toilets which are circled in red.

4. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

There was a witness this morning who said they were in the multi-storey and saw smoke coming from the toilets around 6:45, so I'm surprised they are that far apart.

5. thenorthern

thenorthern Established Member

I have checked and had it confirmed that platform 6 and 7 are the ones that are out of use, I am not surprised given that there was a raging fire directly above them.

6. TUC

TUC Established Member

Northern are showing the 0711 Nottingham-Leeds operating normally, although a Station Update for Nottingham says 'lifts out of order', which is technically correct but a bit of an understatement of Nottingam's problems!

7. High Dyke

High Dyke Established Member

Damn! I've got to do some work this morning...

Joking aside. Fair credit to all involved in getting a modicum of service running at the station. I hadn't realised there were a set of toilets in that part of the station, but as they are for ladies then they're no use to me.

Yes it is a shame to see the pictures of the damage, but thankfully it didn't spread to other parts of the station or any rolling stock. More importantly there were no reported injuries as a result of this incident.

8. kevjs

kevjs Member

IIRC "PLAT 4" is actually (bay) Platform 5. Platform 4 is further to the right on a build out.

Actually that's not really a surprise - right of the word TOILETS is basically all open (stairs and ramps, no floor) and the car park links into that same area on the same level with a bridge - entirely possible to see from outside the loos to the car park and vice verse. All glass walls too.

There are Gents there too. Usually quieter and cleaner than the platform ones.

9. kevjs

kevjs Member

Is it "lifts" out of order, or is the platform 1/2/3 one working? Guessing it's easier to say no lift access rather than let a wheelchair/reduced mobility user get trapped on Platform 4/5/6 after a late platform change or indeed be unable to access a service they earlier expected to be able to access after the same.

10. kevjs

kevjs Member

Does anyone know the status of the Co-op?

If anyone is planning on picking up snacks for there journey and was thinking of using the Tesco Express outside the entrance as a plan B (should the co-op be closed) - be aware that is currently closed for a refurb. Nearest convenience store would be the Sainsbury's local at the junction of Carrington and Canal Streets.

11. High Dyke

It could be that they are using the Station Street access to the station and not through the main concourse, which would mean no step free access to platforms, but as you say probably easier to advise people no lifts available.

12. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Member

13. High Dyke

1Y12 (08:17) Nottingham - Leeds currently in P4 at Nottingham.

14. kevjs

kevjs Member

That makes sense - The Nottingham Post have reported the Station Street entrance is opened but not the main entrance and is showing that it's still cordoned off http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/nottingham-train-station-fire-open-1047660

Caught the end of an interview on Radio Nottingham where it sounds like the IT Infrastructure has been damaged preventing the ticket machines from being used - she also said they are accepting booking references printed or on mobile in place of tickets for those who were supposed to collect at the station.

NET also say they are serving the station but "Passengers will be advised to use the old exit via Station Street. And no acces to the main station via the tram platform.
    " http://www.thetram.net/disruptions.aspx

15. TUC

TUC Established Member

I wonder if it is the station electrics that have bern damaged rather than the IT itself? Anyone know whether the main station lighting is working or do they have other lighting in place?

16. Andyh82

Andyh82 Member

Northern are running a normal service to/from Nottingham as per National Rail Enquiries.

17. Stampy

Stampy Member

Excellent.

I'll set off soon (leave a bit earlier, just in case it all changes!!!)

18. kevjs

kevjs Member

19. MG11

MG11 Member

According to Low Level, Rail Gourmet Standard Class trolley services are held away from the affected area, so an at-seat refreshment service should still be available. I'm not sure about First Class or CrossCountry (First Onboard) services though.

20. MG11

MG11 Member

21. MG11

MG11 Member

Well done East Midlands Trains. I am shocked at how quickly the service has resumed and how much of the station they have been able to re-open.

22. 221129

221129 Established Member

That's not what was asked...

23. 221129

Not forgetting the Fire service that put it out and Netwrok rail who did all the inspections etc... And all tge other TOCs that operate through Nottingham.

24. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

The problem (in this context) is that toilets tend not to have CCTV for fairly obvious reasons. So if you were going to deliberately get up to no good, it's not a bad place to do so, as I guess the perpetrator him/herself thought.

25. MG11

MG11 Member

Of course, well done to those too!

26. howittpie

howittpie Member

At the station now the tvms are working but are only accepting cash. There are no toilet facilities as they do not have running water which also means no hot drinks available. There is also no tannoy or PiS screens working but seemed plenty of staff helping people.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2018 at 11:45
  27. Timrud

Timrud Member

Top work from EMT - IMO the best TOC

28. MG11

MG11 Member

I can't imagine it was that busy in the 6th hour of the morning. There would only be a select few people entering the toilets at that time, and I imagine the concourse CCTV will cover the entrance to the toilets.

29. 221129

And all the other TOCs that operate from Nottingham and Network Rail that actually did the work also ya know the Fire service for putting the thing out...