• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2023 changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stopper

Either I'm looking at it wrongly, or ScotRail are restoring the 15 min Edinburgh - Glasgow via Falkirk High off-peak service but only on Saturdays? (Between about 0815 and 1715.)

Looks like it, although not the old calling patterns. Linlithgow, Polmont and Falkirk High will be called at by all 4 services, with Croy only by 2. Giving Linlithgow and Polmont a 6tph service to Edinburgh at the weekend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InkyScrolls

Confirmation of massive cuts between Leeds and Ilkley/Skipton/Bradford Forster Square:

Interesting that they are cutting all the off peak services that are currently never cancelled so I doubt it'll do anything to the first trains in the morning being cancelled most days
This is a weird one - there will be absolutely zero saving in crew or train costs due to how the units are diagrammed.

sammyg901

Thanks. I wonder why not to Kidderminster anymore
Cost I imagine. If WMR can handle the volumes then better to leave them to it It's a simple change at Birmingham Moor St for any connections. I doubt they carry many London passengers across Birmingham in reality so shouldn't be a big issue. Shame to see something being withdrawn though, IIRC this has been running for about 20 years now

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Is this maybe preparation for the withdrawal of the LCHS in a future timetable.

This is a weird one - there will be absolutely zero saving in crew or train costs due to how the units are diagrammed.

TOCs aren’t allowed to say services are withdrawn to save costs (in this case mileage savings), they are instructed by the DfT to put spin on it.

a1904

Really, are they hiding behind this crappy staffing excuse again? The timetable has worked perfectly well through winter, all they are doing is potentially losing revenue in the summer. Its really starting to feel like the railways are no longer run for passengers any more. If there were a way to improve bus services through the Aire Valley towards Bradford & Leeds, I'd be seriously thinking about a mode change....
I do remember Ilkley and Skipton trains being quite busy with leisure travellers last summer as well, to the same levels of some Settle Carlisle trains (despite the much higher capacity)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Confirmation of massive cuts between Leeds and Ilkley/Skipton/Bradford Forster Square:

Interesting that they are cutting all the off peak services that are currently never cancelled so I doubt it'll do anything to the first trains in the morning being cancelled most days

I like the phrase "to make the service more reliable". Spin worthy of Malcolm Tucker.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but looking at RTT chiltern aren’t going to be extending to Kidderminster from May tt change. Does this mean no more Loco hauled?
That rather puts the North Cotswold Line Taskforce's risible plan for 1tph Paddington–Kidderminster into perspective, if the town can't even support an occasional Chiltern service...

bramling

Veteran Member
Cost I imagine. If WMR can handle the volumes then better to leave them to it It's a simple change at Birmingham Moor St for any connections. I doubt they carry many London passengers across Birmingham in reality so shouldn't be a big issue. Shame to see something being withdrawn though, IIRC this has been running for about 20 years now

Seems like another example of getting rid of fringe services. It seems Stourbridge survives simply because they need to access stabling there.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Looks like it, although not the old calling patterns. Linlithgow, Polmont and Falkirk High will be called at by all 4 services, with Croy only by 2. Giving Linlithgow and Polmont a 6tph service to Edinburgh at the weekend.
A positive step in the right direction at least, just need the full 0630-1930 15-min service back Mon-Fri.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Whenever I've done it, past Snow Hill the train empties out significantly. Beyond Stourbridge, when I used the train (1933 or so from Moor Street, then sat at Snow Hill for a good few minutes) a handful of weeks back, it didn't load that well. I think further back down the train it was better loaded, but it didn't really appear to be justified with a 6 coach train from London. What I saw would have easily fitted into the 172/3 20 minutes behind.

Cutting it back to Stourbridge makes sense, I'd go one further and cut it back at Snow Hill personally.

sufian123

Whenever I've done it, past Snow Hill the train empties out significantly. Beyond Stourbridge, when I used the train (1933 or so from Moor Street, then sat at Snow Hill for a good few minutes) a handful of weeks back, it didn't load that well. I think further back down the train it was better loaded, but it didn't really appear to be justified with a 6 coach train from London. What I saw would have easily fitted into the 172/3 20 minutes behind.

Cutting it back to Stourbridge makes sense, I'd go one further and cut it back at Snow Hill personally.
One loco has been cut back to snow hill then ECS to Stourbridge depot on weekdays May TT.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but looking at RTT chiltern aren’t going to be extending to Kidderminster from May tt change. Does this mean no more Loco hauled?

No, LHCS staying until at least May 2024. Not sure how well patronised Chiltern services are beyond Stourbridge Jn but if the answer is 'not very', it seems a quick win to curtail operations at Stourbridge or even better at Birmingham in an effort to make more efficient use of the Chiltern fleet which is rather stretched at the moment.

bramling

Veteran Member
No, LHCS staying until at least May 2024. Not sure how well patronised Chiltern services are beyond Stourbridge Jn but if the answer is 'not very', it seems a quick win to curtail operations at Stourbridge or even better at Birmingham in an effort to make better use of the Chiltern fleet which is rather stretched at the moment.

I'm not sure it really benefits the fleet in terms of deployment, as everything running beyond Snow Hill either starts or finishes at Stourbridge depot, so the remaining Stourbridge services could run to Kidderminster without impacting fleet availability. There is of course a slight reduction in mileage, and it frees up crews a little.

Ditching operations beyond Snow Hill entirely would mean having to stable trains elsewhere. Others will have to comment on whether or not that's viable. By the looks of it Moor Street and associated sidings are already well utilised.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Ditching operations beyond Snow Hill entirely would mean having to stable trains elsewhere. Others will have to comment on whether or not that's viable. By the looks of it Moor Street and associated sidings are already well utilised.

Indeed, although as Banbury Depot has recently had its capacity significantly increased, maybe more use can be made of that location with some changes to the way the fleet is diagrammed.

craigybagel

Established Member
I'm not sure it really benefits the fleet in terms of deployment, as everything running beyond Snow Hill either starts or finishes at Stourbridge depot, so the remaining Stourbridge services could run to Kidderminster without impacting fleet availability. There is of course a slight reduction in mileage, and it frees up crews a little.

There's also the complication of the traincrew depot at Stourbridge - and they're the only crew in the Midlands who sign 68s now since Moor Street lost that work.

12LDA28C

Established Member
There's also the complication of the traincrew depot at Stourbridge - and they're the only crew in the Midlands who sign 68s now since Moor Street lost that work.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility to envisage Stourbridge Depot closing and the drivers transferring to Moor Street if Chiltern (or the DfT) want services cut back, especially when the LHCS gets replaced.

Ridercross

That rather puts the North Cotswold Line Taskforce's risible plan for 1tph Paddington–Kidderminster into perspective, if the town can't even support an occasional Chiltern service...

The problem as in so many cases if it's deemed as having failed it'd down to a couple of things. One was down to the speed of the service, it was normally just as quick to change in Birmingham to and from Avanti and catch the local WMR train onwards. Also only running so few trains means that that it's no use if the times of those couple of trains don't suit your plans.

When Chiltern commenced running these trains, it was originally meant to be an hourly service which would have provided more convenient times and encourage growth, not just to London but cross Midlands journeys to Warwick, Leamington Banbury etc.

dk1

Veteran Member
Love the way it’s all positive, even where services are being removed or journey times extended!

Oh I haven’t noticed that. Biggest gripe for me is the 18:04 Norwich- Great Yarmouth is still not reinstated. Annoying 64 minute gap in trains to Brundall Gardens at the busiest time for me & fellow punters & apart from fuel saves Jack sh*t.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
More positive news from the East of England…

Interesting spin on the curtailment of the Kings Lynn train at Ely.
Optimising weekday peak train services to/from Kings Lynn and Ely with GTR, so GTR provides a consistent peak time pattern to/from Kings Lynn (with a half hourly pattern to/from Cambridge and London Kings Cross) and Greater Anglia concentrates its London Liverpool Street peak services to/from Ely

Status
Not open for further replies.