• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Middle Eastern 70 For the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
It would appear then that we are to get an Extra Class 70 this year, this time it's the European / Middle Eastern / North African Tülomsas built, Class 70 Demonstator loco.

Further more to that, acording to WNXX it would appear to also now be UK Registered.

WNXX

Further to yesterday's report about the Turkish Class 70 coming to the UK it transpires that 70099 has in the past week or so been registered on the system. 70099 is currently allocated to the MBDL pool.

70099 DEPARTED 0000 00/00 NOW OFF TOPS
NEXT DUE 'A' EXAM IN 1 CYCLE HOURS

70099 BR HQ HQ.R. M-GP'AZ' BKE'AA' TN/HT'0' RA-7 STS'B' SPL/CH OMO
CL.070/0 DGM 70-0AA WHL ARR.'F' 3700H.P. WT 129 TONNES IN SVC 11
LGTH 72 FT/21.9M MAX 075 MPH FUEL 1320 GAL BOILER 0000 GAL CHANNEL-TUNNEL 1
BRKE FCE 84 TONNES HT/INDX 000
LIVERY PO - PVTEOWNED NUMBER OF AXLES:6
REGISTRATION DETAILS: 67GERS
CURRENT ACCUMULATED HOURS: 00000
NEXT EXAM 'A' DUE 00001 CYCLE HOURS NEXT MAJOR EXAM 'B' DUE 00010 CYCLE HOURS
LAST FUELLED '0' AT 00 00/00 HRS RUN SINCE 000?
LAST 'A' EXAM 00000 00/00 LAST MAJOR EXAM ' ' 00000 00/00
LOCO POOL MBDL R/T NOS. 0000/0000

http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/news/single-view/view/tuelomsas-rolls-out-turkish-powerhaul.html

So that either indicates that it'll be a replacement for 70012 & Possibly 70018, and or that thanks to the UK Fleets reliability, GE Has had no further orders?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I wonder that FL don't use it in Poland or wherever else they have operations now. Unless they and GE have decided that no one else is likely to order any, so they may as well concentrate them somewhere that they're already familiar with them.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wonder that FL don't use it in Poland or wherever else they have operations now. Unless they and GE have decided that no one else is likely to order any, so they may as well concentrate them somewhere that they're already familiar with them.

and where the fire brigade have the skills to extinguish them?

455driver

Veteran Member
I wonder that FL don't use it in Poland

Because the loco is nothing to do with FL, its owned by GE and is going to be trialed by GE over here as an advert to other freight operators, GBRF have been mentioned "off the record" so I cant say anything, oops! :oops: :lol:

I would think that all freight operators are fully aware of the 70s reputation!

bigdelboy

Should have been designated 70999 to assist calling fire brigade.

Should the headline be:

Freigther fries boner kebab with fugly BBQ boners with 86/90 for deserts.

;)

DXMachina

epsom_fire_01.jpg

fgwrich

Established Member
:lol:

Apparently it had been sighted in Germany, although no pictures have emerged. So it looks like it's on its way, and should be arriving through the Chunnel in the next few weeks then.

it also says in the DEC issue of rail express that colas are going to be trialling it as well. that would be great if it was used on the Durham Coast route as i've never seen one in the north east especially round my neck of the woods.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I guess someone will; be giving it a quick lick of yellow before it gets used then?

sprinterguy

Established Member
it also says in the DEC issue of rail express that colas are going to be trialling it as well. that would be great if it was used on the Durham Coast route as i've never seen one in the north east especially round my neck of the woods.
Freightliner's 70s work a selection of the Anglo-scottish Heavy Haul coal flows up the ECML from York Holgate and across the Tyne Valley via the Metrocentre to Carlisle, but a 70 on the Durham Coast would be a first as far as I know.

cawky22

It will be trialed for 3 month and it will be good to see how it handles the incline out ot Tyne Dock with a full load .

Photohunter71

Wish they'd visit Millerhill or go round the Sub! So if as is stated GBRf are trialling a 70,are they considering buying some or will they and others be trialling out the 68 and if there are any others such as the maxima etc would there be an interest in updating/upgrading the loco stock? This is looking very much like the end of the line for the 66's if DRS are getting 68's and GBRf are trialling out a 70!

alanf

Freightliner's 70s work a selection of the Anglo-scottish Heavy Haul coal flows up the ECML from York Holgate and across the Tyne Valley via the Metrocentre to Carlisle, but a 70 on the Durham Coast would be a first as far as I know.

A few have worked on the Stillington branch but none for over a year now as far as i know. im also unaware of any working the coast. If youve never seen one try to do it at night its much kinder on the eyes:D

captainbigun

Wish they'd visit Millerhill or go round the Sub! So if as is stated GBRf are trialling a 70,are they considering buying some or will they and others be trialling out the 68 and if there are any others such as the maxima etc would there be an interest in updating/upgrading the loco stock? This is looking very much like the end of the line for the 66's if DRS are getting 68's and GBRf are trialling out a 70!

?

The 68 is a high speed Bo-Bo designed for mixed traffic, on today's railway, that's primarily passenger.....because for freight you want a suitably geared machine that can haul heavy loads hence 66 and 70.

68 does not replace 66 or 70.

The 70s have been a disaster, I'd be surprised to see more orders. Perhaps FL would part with some of theirs.

Oswyntail

Established Member
...The 70s have been a disaster.
Really? Anything significant, other than the apparently unrelated fires a few months back. More disastrous than, eg 40s, 43s, 17s, 47s, 60s, 56s. Oh go on - apart from the 66s (and 37s?) are there any diesel types that have not suffered teeting troubles or serious design flaws?

....do hope DB get the 60's all up to speed and back on the tracks......
They don't have any need for all of them to be put back in service, hence only a limited number being put through the refurbishment and upgrade.
Many will be kept for spares, but there will be quite a few sent to the great TMD in the sky.

Beveridges

Established Member
go on - apart from the 66s (and 37s?) are there any diesel types that have not suffered teeting troubles or serious design flaws?

66's still do have serious design flaws according to some of the freight drivers they are not very good to say the least

cj_1985

66's still do have serious design flaws according to some of the freight drivers they are not very good to say the least

i'd be curious to hear what these design flaws are...
ie. are they just the usual comments ie. noise, too warm in the cabs during summer, etc or are they more severe

fgwrich

Established Member
i'd be curious to hear what these design flaws are...
ie. are they just the usual comments ie. noise, too warm in the cabs during summer, etc or are they more severe

It also seems to be a case of you get what you pay for. Don't recall hearing many comments against the GBRF 66s from when i was working down in Eastleigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.