• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mistakes you made as a trainee

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
When with your DI what mistakes did you make that your DI had to correct? May help others

For instance I remember having received the close door indicator at a manned station seeing on the DOO cameras that a passenger was desperately trying to get on board the train. We sat and sat and in the end I re-released the doors. This was incorrect as station staff are in control of manned stations and having closed the doors you do not normally re-released unless they ask.

Another error I had was attention to detail failing to register quickly enough a camera lens had failed on one of the DOO images picked up on by my DI and failing to see on the computer that the doors hadn't opened after pressing release at a terminal station- you had to check the doors were the correct colour on the computer screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
I guess a few would be traction specific. I got into a terminal station and shut the desk down and hadn't released the doors. Had to key on again and set up my tcms , before the passenger's could get off or on . My di didn't catch it before I did it.

Jlob2804

I left a platform on one yellow. Said out loud "one yellow, next signal red". Left the TCB in half power as a reminder of the red ahead. Then was worrying about power reduction and keeping a ten car train to 15mph over a crossover. I forgot about the red ahead. Opened up once we were clear and my DI picked me up on it. Came round the corner at about 40 and the signal pinged to green luckily. It was the point I realised for myself that all those SPAD risk videos you watch at the training school aren't just other people messing up. It can happen to anyone, including you. I now use a cue card for one yellow so I'm glad it happened.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Repeteadly pulled away with the parking brake left on, causing the loco to dump all its air.

When with your DI what mistakes did you make that your DI had to correct? May help others

For instance I remember having received the close door indicator at a manned station seeing on the DOO cameras that a passenger was desperately trying to get on board the train. We sat and sat and in the end I re-released the doors. This was incorrect as station staff are in control of manned stations and having closed the doors you do not normally re-released unless they ask.

Another error I had was attention to detail failing to register quickly enough a camera lens had failed on one of the DOO images picked up on by my DI and failing to see on the computer that the doors hadn't opened after pressing release at a terminal station- you had to check the doors were the correct colour on the computer screen.
DOO equipment or not, if you can't satisfy the Train Safety Check then surely you did the right thing? Or did you not have the RA yet?

Gloster

Established Member
I probably made plenty as a signalman. One I remember is half way through pulling the Starting Signal my hands slipped and the lever fell back to normal in the frame: the signalman at the next box then had to wind the Welwyn - a tedious job - before he could give another Line Clear release. I promptly did exactly the same thing again for the same train.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I probably made plenty as a signalman. One I remember is half way through pulling the Starting Signal my hands slipped and the lever fell back to normal in the frame: the signalman at the next box then had to wind the Welwyn - a tedious job - before he could give another Line Clear release. I promptly did exactly the same thing again for the same train.
Very similar, and why I stopped using that blasted cloth and started using cycling gloves!

Wondering why I couldn't pull off on the Up and not realising that the barriers hadn't dropped properly, so having to re-open the crossing, and then close them again. Followed by a phone call from Control 15 minutes later asking why 1W11 had been delayed by 4 minutes, plus a LOM follow-up.

Skoodle

I left a platform on one yellow. Said out loud "one yellow, next signal red". Left the TCB in half power as a reminder of the red ahead. Then was worrying about power reduction and keeping a ten car train to 15mph over a crossover. I forgot about the red ahead. Opened up once we were clear and my DI picked me up on it. Came round the corner at about 40 and the signal pinged to green luckily. It was the point I realised for myself that all those SPAD risk videos you watch at the training school aren't just other people messing up. It can happen to anyone, including you. I now use a cue card for one yellow so I'm glad it happened.
Did the same, departed a station on a single yellow, with a long distance to the red. Took power once I passed a speed board trying to go from 20 to 40. Luckily it was on a rising gradient and at night. We both saw the reflection of the red before the actual signal. Stopped with plenty of distance. I have a PPS for passing a single yellow now.

387star

On Moderation
Did the same, departed a station on a single yellow, with a long distance to the red. Took power once I passed a speed board trying to go from 20 to 40. Luckily it was on a rising gradient and at night. We both saw the reflection of the red before the actual signal. Stopped with plenty of distance. I have a PPS for passing a single yellow now.
Me too I wonder what trainee hasn't? A lady at Luton airport talked to.me through the cab window . I depart and see a red in the distance but it looks like it applies to another line due to track curvature. Take full power. DI saves the day ! He allowed me to make the mistake. I didn't know the route then as it was my second day out or something.

DunfordBridge

Me too I wonder what trainee hasn't? A lady at Luton airport talked to.me through the cab window . I depart and see a red in the distance but it looks like it applies to another line due to track curvature. Take full power. DI saves the day ! He allowed me to make the mistake. I didn't know the route then as it was my second day out or something.

So was this a signal on a gantry with a read across risk?

It is a very good thread you have got here btw! Almost enough to put me off applying for any more trainee driver positions.

387star

On Moderation
So was this a signal on a gantry with a read across risk?

It is a very good thread you have got here btw! Almost enough to put me off applying for any more trainee driver positions.
Can't remember been at two very different depots since and touch wood no incidents

High Dyke

Established Member
I often irked one particular driver who complained that I 'shouldn't stop a train on a rising brake', but then never explained what he meant. Luckily I wasn't paired with him very often

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I often irked one particular driver who complained that I 'shouldn't stop a train on a rising brake', but then never explained what he meant. Luckily I wasn't paired with him very often

I thought stopping on a rising brake will result in a smoother stop although that may apply more to vacuum brakes?

DunfordBridge

I thought stopping on a rising brake will result in a smoother stop although that may apply more to vacuum brakes?

Vacuum brakes are obsolete now, at least on UK railways, but I suspect the driver tutoring High Dyke was referring to brake cylinder pressure rather than brake pipe pressure, where I expect that a reading of zero for the brake cylinder indicates that the brakes are not applied.

It is correct what you are saying, you aim to slacken off the brakes partially for the final few yards before you come to a complete standstill. Might not always be effective on a steep decline though.

High Dyke

Established Member
Vacuum brakes are obsolete now, at least on UK railways, but I suspect the driver tutoring High Dyke was referring to brake cylinder pressure rather than brake pipe pressure, where I expect that a reading of zero for the brake cylinder indicates that the brakes are not applied.

It is correct what you are saying, you aim to slacken off the brakes partially for the final few yards before you come to a complete standstill. Might not always be effective on a steep decline though.
You are probably right there. I learnt to work both vacuum and air-braked stock. Oddly enough the driver I referred to was the only one that ever complained.

Timpg

I had a ‘late to cancel AWS, emergency brake demand’, early on in my training in a class 755.
I was slowing down the train and experienced a bit of low adhesion. Pushed the sander button to gain control and inadvertently missed the advance warning AWS for an AOCL+B.
But it appears 755’s have caught a lot of drivers out with late to cancels

HeelBurton

When I was a DI, best one trainees would do would be to forget the EP key in the other end. The old “red, red, dead” (tail lights, DRA, shut cab down) advice doesn’t include to take the key with you. I would spot this. And providing the cab was shut down, we would casually change ends and once it’s time to set up again, and the trainee realises the key is missing, it’s their long walk back, particularly 10/12 coaches at Waterloo in the peak.

things like that you never do again.

Inversnecky

I left a platform on one yellow. Said out loud "one yellow, next signal red". Left the TCB in half power as a reminder of the red ahead.
As a non driver, can I ask, is it against the rules to start off with a single yellow, or just considered bad practice, as best to wait till you can get going without the immediate prospect of having to stop (and perhaps blocking crossings)?

Timpg

As a non driver, can I ask, is it against the rules to start off with a single yellow, or just considered bad practice, as best to wait till you can get going without the immediate prospect of having to stop (and perhaps blocking crossings)?
No not against the rules at all, some areas it may be common procedure to leave on a single yellow.
e.g
-leaving March station towards whittlesea, you nearly always leave on a single yellow as the red is protecting a level crossing which needs time to operate, therefore the red will clear as you approach the crossing.
-leaving a station and being routed via a diverging route.

There’s loads of reasons or areas you may leave on a single yellow, but it is massively important to verbalise that you have left on a yellow and that the next signal is potentially gonna be at danger and to proceed at caution.

Skoodle

There is nothing at all against leaving on a single yellow, sometimes it can be frowned upon to wait for a less restrictive aspect.

Inversnecky

There is nothing at all against leaving on a single yellow, sometimes it can be frowned upon to wait for a less restrictive aspect.

That’s what I thought. I likely misinterpreted what you said before, but it sounded like it was a mistake. (Sorry, don’t know what a PPS is):

“Did the same, departed a station on a single yellow, with a long distance to the red. ... We both saw the reflection of the red before the actual signal. Stopped with plenty of distance. I have a PPS for passing a single yellow now.”

Skoodle

That’s what I thought. I likely misinterpreted what you said before, but it sounded like it was a mistake. (Sorry, don’t know what a PPS is):

“Did the same, departed a station on a single yellow, with a long distance to the red. ... We both saw the reflection of the red before the actual signal. Stopped with plenty of distance. I have a PPS for passing a single yellow now.”
Not at all. It all depends on the actual location, but for us at our company, we run a high frequency service in a very tight corridor. So, if we were to wait for a green, we'd be forcing drivers behind in to running on even more restrictive aspects, so it's all finding the balance really. At the most basic level, just drive according to the signal ahead. "PPS" is the term our company uses, means "Personal Protection Strategy", so anything you do to mitigate against various situations that could cause an issue. Like holding up your right hand on approach to right hand side platforms. Or standing up behind the chair when you're at a red signal etc.

LCC106

Established Member
Not to nitpick but when you say the red will clear as you approach the crossing then probably 99 times out of 100 it may, but there may be that one occasion to catch even the most experienced driver out. That’s why it can be important to vocalise leaving on a yellow and maybe even WHERE your expected red will be.

The majority of us will probably have made an error during training but your mentor or instructor is almost your safety net and as long as you learn from those mistakes you’ll not go far wrong!

ComUtoR

Established Member

There are a few stations along that route that have a start on yellow risk. Especially the ones without a start signal.

Stigy

Established Member
I had a couple of scenarios where I left a station on a single yellow and forgot about the red ahead, but my DI picked up on it once and I realised myself another time. It’s scary really. Since passing out I’ve made sure I remember these things as there’s no comfort blanket there anymore. There’s been a couple of times I’ve slowed right down if I’m not sure, just to be on the safe side.

There’s been times I’ve key’d out to change ends without releasing the doors, but it’s quite and easy enough to rectify easily...just embarrassing.

Jlob2804

Yeah can ask no probs. But no, not really a rule tbh. There are lots of times you start on one yellow. Trains tend to have priority when it comes to crossings in my experience. If you've got the road, you've got the road.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
When I was a DI, best one trainees would do would be to forget the EP key in the other end. The old “red, red, dead” (tail lights, DRA, shut cab down) advice doesn’t include to take the key with you. I would spot this. And providing the cab was shut down, we would casually change ends and once it’s time to set up again, and the trainee realises the key is missing, it’s their long walk back, particularly 10/12 coaches at Waterloo in the peak.

things like that you never do again.
I was told to tap your key belt before leaving the cab to make sure you have it.

Yeah can ask no probs. But no, not really a rule tbh. There are lots of times you start on one yellow. Trains tend to have priority when it comes to crossings in my experience. If you've got the road, you've got the road.
Depends on the location, we've got a few where you hold off until 2 Yellows

Stigy

Established Member
I was told to tap your key belt before leaving the cab to make sure you have it.

Depends on the location, we've got a few where you hold off until 2 Yellows
I almost left my key in when completing a journey where another driver takes it on from the other end (I’d key’d out but left the key in situ like I’d done a few times). There was about 10 mins dwell time so I managed to discretely return to get it. It was during passout too :D.

Always worth carrying a few spares :)

Status
Not open for further replies.