• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MKC-Croydon service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377/5

Established Member
Sorry, you do know that Willesden has NO station on the WCML dont you ? It wont ever have one either. Not sure there are enough paths into Euston anyway.

The Southern paths are 1tph - hardly worth extending 1 LOROL an hour from the ELL in its place - you could probably do that without removing an incredibly useful and well-used service (trains more often than not on the line are very busy).

Four cars are rammed. How is going to (the future) 5 car LO going to help?

Sorry but the success of LOROL has seen new problem (but not for the railway) of capacity. 4 cars are very busy, 5 cars are coming but 6 cars can't be done according to LO themselves. Boosting it to 8 car Southern (soon to be Thameslink) service is a better use of capacity.

Otherwise your just doing piece meal work rather than actually doing what's needed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Out of curiousity do you know the reason why 6 car can't be done?

MCR247

Established Member
I was hoping (and still am) that that wouldnt be the reason!

5 carriages does seem a bit short sighted though..?

ushawk

Established Member
Sorry, you do know that there used to be platforms there and the space is still available for them to be reinstated, (which precisely why I said platforms and not just stops)?

Of course, but is it worth spending an awful lot of money to re-build the platforms for this ? Although connections would be good of course to the WLL - but a connecting service already exists !!

Ooh, why you're at it, what this weeks lottery numbers? ;) The WCML slow lines are essentially treated as two track railway between Camden & Ledburn Junctions, so if there are paths between Ledburn and Willesden Junction, then there are surely paths into Euston.

Its more in the Euston area and platform space rather than the actual line in the Willesden area. But if the main point of the service existing is to provide a link from the Brighton Mainline/Clapham/WLL to the WCML, why divert it to Euston ? There are plenty of services already existing from stations between Harrow and MKC to Euston already.

I doubt it - the WLL is full. I'm wondering where they're going to find the extra path for the 2nd Southern service TBH. It's a popular service, yes, so I'm proposing the only realistic way of increasing capacity further which is to decouple it into parts that can then run at enhanced frequencies. 12 cars from MK to Willesden at whatever frequency it current is (8tph?), then 6tph from Willesden to Clapham and finally whatever tph Clapham to East Croydon can manage would surely be better than 2tph direct 8-car services, and minimal delay propagation to boot.

And where do you plan on getting the extra Class 350s from (as you said LM would run the extra service) ? The service is planned to be extended as it is to 8 cars to cope with the increasing passenger numbers. It will be further increased further when a second tph starts operation, i believe the current services run about 5 minutes before/after the current LOROL services, so if the extra service operates the opposite half-hour it should be easy to fit in on the WLL anyway. The Brighton Mainline would be harder, as may the WCML.

Possibly. I still think it's a waste of capacity between Watford and Wembley though when far more want to go to Euston, and you can then operate 12 car trains on that path as well. I the BML platforms on the fast lines are good for 12 car trains as well, it's just the WLL platforms that limit the length. The journey would still be possible, minimally longer if timetabled correctly (if at all), and dare I say more robust as well. Stick an extra track or two to segregate it between Watford and Wembley though and you'd have my support ;)

A waste of capacity - yet the service is well-used ? If it was carting fresh air - id agree, but it doesnt. If people want to go to Euston - they use a Euston service, of which there are plenty. As ive already said, the service provides a link to the WLL/Clapham/Brighton Mainline - clearly which there is a market for as there has been a service like this operating for well over 10 years !!

I agree - it is useful. I come from (and my family still lives in) Watford and live in Brighton! I honestly think though that the capacity benefits that would arise from splitting the service would make it worthwhile as it wouldn't be noticeably more inconvenient enough to drive away custom.

Adding an extra change into a journey is fairly inconvenient.

MK Tom

Established Member
Of course, but is it worth spending an awful lot of money to re-build the platforms for this ? Although connections would be good of course to the WLL - but a connecting service already exists !!

Its more in the Euston area and platform space rather than the actual line in the Willesden area. But if the main point of the service existing is to provide a link from the Brighton Mainline/Clapham/WLL to the WCML, why divert it to Euston ? There are plenty of services already existing from stations between Harrow and MKC to Euston already.

And where do you plan on getting the extra Class 350s from (as you said LM would run the extra service) ? The service is planned to be extended as it is to 8 cars to cope with the increasing passenger numbers. It will be further increased further when a second tph starts operation, i believe the current services run about 5 minutes before/after the current LOROL services, so if the extra service operates the opposite half-hour it should be easy to fit in on the WLL anyway. The Brighton Mainline would be harder, as may the WCML.

A waste of capacity - yet the service is well-used ? If it was carting fresh air - id agree, but it doesnt. If people want to go to Euston - they use a Euston service, of which there are plenty. As ive already said, the service provides a link to the WLL/Clapham/Brighton Mainline - clearly which there is a market for as there has been a service like this operating for well over 10 years !!

I agree with this 100% - extremely well put.

There are several stations between Watford and Euston which used to have WCML platforms and now don't - Hatch End (I think) is one and Queens Park still has them but no services. The thing is that stretch is mentally busy and adding in any extra stops, due to the proximity to London, would foul up the entire timetable for all of the services on both pairs of tracks. There just isn't the breathing space in the timetable to accommodate it. Even if there was, the provision of a direct service (and a clearly well liked and used one) is always preferable.

mr_jrt

Established Member
Yes it does - but you're ignoring the points I made and ignoring the benefits. The platforms aren't solely for replacing this service - they would also provide interchange between the WLL and the (general Willesden area) with ALL the destinations served by LM. Do you have any idea how much of a PITA it is that those platforms are aren't there when the Southern service gets cancelled and you get dumped at Clapham Junction. You take LO to Willesden Junction, then have to watch all those big fast trains whizz by as you crawl from Willesden to Watford on another LO service as that's your only option. As the area gets redeveloped there will be a lot more demand to stop those slow lines services there once again.
Did you even read what I typed? :) Fair enough if the approaches were what was meant...but I don't think an extra few tph would be an issue and Euston has plenty of spare platforms (for context, I'd also like to see the easy win of a Crossrail-style link from Euston to Waterloo via TCR...but that's another discussion entirely).

Besides, those services are incredibly busy. when I used to catch the train from Harrow & Wealdstone to Euston it was incredibly annoying to have to wait for a train using up a path that could have been better used down to Euston with an interchange at Willesden to make everyone happy.

Well, they're ordering a new load now with a load extra to transfer off to another operator in the north west. These could simply be retained, or more ordered, or new (faster) stock could be used for the longer-distance services to Northampton and beyond (i.e. IEPs) - it's a fairly irrelevant point as there are so many options really.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the WLL should have LO operating a high-frequency metro service on it of at least 6tph, if not 8tph. IIRC, Southern's second tph is planned to terminate at Shepherds Bush anyway, so completely missing the interchange hub options at Willesden largely because there are no platforms there.

There aren't enough to Euston, as can be seen by the overcrowding. Because there are no platforms at Willesden, you can't interchange from the WLL to the WCML, so you have a ridiculously slow journey to Harrow (20mins IIRC) at the very least, if not Watford (35mins IIRC).

All sorts of services have operated in the past when there was less pressure on capacity. You would regularly see direct services from everywhere to everywhere else...but as demand increases, you have to focus on making efficient use of paths so junctions are your enemies, and you have to avoid them and use interchanges instead. Case in point - when they split this exact service from Rugby-Brighton down to Watford-Brighton down to Watford-Croydon on the slow lines. You already have to change at Clapham if you want a decent journey time. It's trivial and thousands do it every day.

Not when the wait is 5-10 minutes, (and someone better tell London Underground that interchanges are a problem!) Ideally cross-platform makes it a non-issue, but that's not going to be possible, so settling for a 5-10 minute wait will suffice. I didn't really care when they spit the service, I just walk up from platform 17 and down to platform 12 and off I go. Likewise in reverse I walk up from 13 and down to 16 or 17, depending on the time as they just use 17 in the evenings.

I agree with this 100% - extremely well put.
There are several stations between Watford and Euston which used to have WCML platforms and now don't - Hatch End (I think) is one and Queens Park still has them but no services. The thing is that stretch is mentally busy and adding in any extra stops, due to the proximity to London, would foul up the entire timetable for all of the services on both pairs of tracks. There just isn't the breathing space in the timetable to accommodate it. Even if there was, the provision of a direct service (and a clearly well liked and used one) is always preferable.
There is a marked difference between a stop on the fast(er) lines on a section of plain line and an interchange, let alone a junction interchange station.

There are no issues when you decide to stop everything though, you're just adding 3-4 minutes to the journey time for a massive gain in interchange opportunities.

I'd imagine a layout would be built to maximise things though - so a directional island for each line with two faces so a service can overtake if need be or pull in whilst another is pulling out. Fast line platforms would be a nice to have - but not required. The priority is WLL and slow line platforms.

ushawk

Established Member
Yes it does - but you're ignoring the points I made and ignoring the benefits. The platforms aren't solely for replacing this service - they would also provide interchange between the WLL and the (general Willesden area) with ALL the destinations served by LM. Do you have any idea how much of a PITA it is that those platforms are aren't there when the Southern service gets cancelled and you get dumped at Clapham Junction. You take LO to Willesden Junction, then have to watch all those big fast trains whizz by as you crawl from Willesden to Watford on another LO service as that's your only option. As the area gets redeveloped there will be a lot more demand to stop those slow lines services there once again.

Yes, but whee would the extra calls come from ? Sure the Tring terminators could call there, maybe the MKC trains - but other than that there arent any other services. That and you will be blocking the slows for about 1-2 more minutes whilst a stop is made. The example you have provided is extreme, as if the Southern gets cancelled, ticket acceptance is usually granted on LUL and LM from Euston - so you dont have to use LOROL. Maybe there could be a case for re-opening the platforms at Queens Park to improve connections - could be useful during the Euston re-development.

Did you even read what I typed? :) Fair enough if the approaches were what was meant...but I don't think an extra few tph would be an issue and Euston has plenty of spare platforms (for context, I'd also like to see the easy win of a Crossrail-style link from Euston to Waterloo via TCR...but that's another discussion entirely).

There may be 1 or 2 platforms available, but then your running at full capacity with no spare platforms, so if a problem occurs (OHLE fault at Wembley for example) which means nothing leaves Euston, then there isnt platform space to get services into Euston - extreme but possible. Remember that that VT dont have short turnarounds and wait for long periods. Some platforms will also be closed off when Euston is re-developed too, so there probably wont be any free space, so adding an extra service wont be useful - diverting a service away from this would be more useful (seen on here people suggesting to divert the Tring services to the WLL).

Besides, those services are incredibly busy. when I used to catch the train from Harrow & Wealdstone to Euston it was incredibly annoying to have to wait for a train using up a path that could have been better used down to Euston with an interchange at Willesden to make everyone happy.

Of course they are busy, its a service to London !! But there are plenty, rather than 1tph. I'll also be surprised if it was a Southern that held you up, considering towards the WLL it runs 5 minutes AFTER a Euston service. And it isnt keeping everyone happy is it ? As your forcing people into an extra change, however short it is.

Well, they're ordering a new load now with a load extra to transfer off to another operator in the north west. These could simply be retained, or more ordered, or new (faster) stock could be used for the longer-distance services to Northampton and beyond (i.e. IEPs) - it's a fairly irrelevant point as there are so many options really.

I actually totally forgot that in all fairness, but i believe they are for 125mph running and for strengthening current services.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the WLL should have LO operating a high-frequency metro service on it of at least 6tph, if not 8tph. IIRC, Southern's second tph is planned to terminate at Shepherds Bush anyway, so completely missing the interchange hub options at Willesden largely because there are no platforms there.

I dont believe its planned to end at Shepherds Bush at all, but off-hand i cant actually remember where it is supposed to - might be Watford come to think of it. Have seen Tring suggested on here as well.

There aren't enough to Euston, as can be seen by the overcrowding. Because there are no platforms at Willesden, you can't interchange from the WLL to the WCML, so you have a ridiculously slow journey to Harrow (20mins IIRC) at the very least, if not Watford (35mins IIRC).

The journey solely using LOROL to these places (from the WLL including a change at Willesden) probably wouldnt be any different for Harrow but would be a lot longer for Watford. It is annoying how slow it goes through Wembley and Willesden though.

All sorts of services have operated in the past when there was less pressure on capacity. You would regularly see direct services from everywhere to everywhere else...but as demand increases, you have to focus on making efficient use of paths so junctions are your enemies, and you have to avoid them and use interchanges instead. Case in point - when they split this exact service from Rugby-Brighton down to Watford-Brighton down to Watford-Croydon on the slow lines. You already have to change at Clapham if you want a decent journey time. It's trivial and thousands do it every day.

When demand increases, you dont pull a train that is well used and is probably making money !! The current service is pathed in well already along a congested Brighton Mainline and WLL - if it aint broke dont fix it !!

mr_jrt

Established Member
Yes, but whee would the extra calls come from ? Sure the Tring terminators could call there, maybe the MKC trains - but other than that there arent any other services. That and you will be blocking the slows for about 1-2 more minutes whilst a stop is made. The example you have provided is extreme, as if the Southern gets cancelled, ticket acceptance is usually granted on LUL and LM from Euston - so you dont have to use LOROL. Maybe there could be a case for re-opening the platforms at Queens Park to improve connections - could be useful during the Euston re-development.
You already get occasional calls at QP actually...and as handy as it is for the Bakerloo, it's such a wasted stop given a couple of stops up the line is Willesden Junction with all those LO journey opportunities radiating from it. It's like stopping at QR Battersea and then skipping Clapham Junction.

There may be 1 or 2 platforms available, but then your running at full capacity with no spare platforms, so if a problem occurs (OHLE fault at Wembley for example) which means nothing leaves Euston, then there isnt platform space to get services into Euston - extreme but possible. Remember that that VT dont have short turnarounds and wait for long periods. Some platforms will also be closed off when Euston is re-developed too, so there probably wont be any free space, so adding an extra service wont be useful - diverting a service away from this would be more useful (seen on here people suggesting to divert the Tring services to the WLL).
Depends. Fast line platforms at Willesden would help for this...but would see so little use I can't imagine anyone would want to pay for them. During major incidents everything tends to terminate at Watford...it would be nice to have an option in London with onward links such as LO.

Of course they are busy, its a service to London !! But there are plenty, rather than 1tph. I'll also be surprised if it was a Southern that held you up, considering towards the WLL it runs 5 minutes AFTER a Euston service. And it isnt keeping everyone happy is it ? As your forcing people into an extra change, however short it is.
Actually, in the peaks there are only 4tph at Harrow & Bushey, IIRC, mostly the Trings plus the odd shuttle. 2tph off peak, again IIRC. (It's been a year since I last commuted that way, now it's just trips home!)

I actually totally forgot that in all fairness, but i believe they are for 125mph running and for strengthening current services.
I thought it was 110MPH running for the Northampton services, but it doesn't matter so much...they will still free up existing units.

I dont believe its planned to end at Shepherds Bush at all, but off-hand i cant actually remember where it is supposed to - might be Watford come to think of it. Have seen Tring suggested on here as well.
No, I'm certain it's Shepherds Bush, as there is a reversing siding north of there, and it's the primary traffic generator on the line from the south. In fact, I clearly recall moaning it wasn't Willesden on a forum somewhere when it was announced ;)

When demand increases, you dont pull a train that is well used and is probably making money !! The current service is pathed in well already along a congested Brighton Mainline and WLL - if it aint broke dont fix it !!
...but you're not pulling the service, you're just changing it to make it more frequent. If the passengers can handle changing at Clapham as they already do, they can handle changing at Willesden if it means more trains can run. WLL platforms and WCML platforms would be very close...for example, it's a change that happens at Harrow & Wealdstone as half the train empties at H&W and dashes over the bridge to the DC lines. Besides, the paths freed up on the BML slow lines can then be used to provide move metro services down that way.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Can I recommend taking mr_jrt with a pinch of salt - s/he is well known for making unrealistic and ill thought out proposals in a few places where you might find them unhelpful, and rising to it isn't going to help.

cle

Established Member
Can I recommend taking mr_jrt with a pinch of salt - s/he is well known for making unrealistic and ill thought out proposals in a few places where you might find them unhelpful, and rising to it isn't going to help.

Steady on!

He and I often don't agree (especially on Crossrail up the Chiltern!) but I don't think he's trolling as you unfairly imply - just passionate and with his own ideas. We all have our own biases and all of our ideas can seem farfetched to some.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Please continue defending him. I didn't accuse him of trolling however, just giving me a massive headache when I'm reading any forum or comments thread he's posted on.

Time for a dubious statements box maybe.
... and the slow paths between Clapham and Croydon are then available for another service...
You're going to find a way to fit that into Victoria? They run in addition to the normal frequency anyway.
...I'd suggest an extension of LO from Crystal Palace then up the WLL (probably subsuming the Southern services on the Outer SLL as the have the inner SLL). 4tph would be pushing it for viability though - I'd imagine it'd need to be at least 6, if not 8tph.
You're proposing 8tph Sydenham<>Clapham Junction?

... the space is still available for them to be reinstated [at Willesden Junction]
I advise checking that with a tape measure
...if there are paths between Ledburn and Willesden Junction, then there are surely paths into Euston.
Yes, of course, that follows. :roll:

I doubt it - the WLL is full. I'm wondering where they're going to find the extra path for the 2nd Southern service TBH.
Thank God you're not proposing sending more down it, eh?
... 6tph from Willesden to Clapham...
Ah, sorry, my mistake.
A single-track line with one-train working and 50-metre platforms. The connection to which is on the wrong side of the (very busy) mainline.
While I'm in the area, I just thought I'd check that the unlikely thing under discussion was the slow lines connected to the Abbey Line, and not the DC lines (as we've had in the past), yes?
... an extra few tph would be an issue and Euston has plenty of spare platforms...
Ah, yes, you're good at counting train paths. Would you mind showing us your working on this one please?
it's a fairly irrelevant point as there are so many options really.
It's actually one of the major things that would need to be considered. Whilst a solution could almost certainly be found, don't just try and brush it off.
I'm firmly of the opinion that the WLL should have LO operating a high-frequency metro service on it of at least 6tph, if not 8tph.
I could have sworn you said the WLL was full a second ago. Ah well.
There aren't enough to Euston, as can be seen by the overcrowding.
This overcrowding of course being unique to Euston services, and not common to virtually every single route into the capital at one time or another, including Southern's WLL services?
You already have to change at Clapham if you want a decent journey time. It's trivial and thousands do it every day.
If you introduce another change at Willesden, then what will happen is that all but a brave few will opt to go via London and the tube instead as it will almost certainly be more convenient, particularly when they still haven't built your platforms at Willesden.
There are no issues when you decide to stop everything though, ...
This is not entirely true.
...you're just adding 3-4 minutes to the journey time for a massive gain in interchange opportunities.
It is debatable if this is as much of a benefit as you think, although it certainly would be a benefit.
I'd imagine a layout would be built to maximise things though - so a directional island for each line with two faces so a service can overtake if need be or pull in whilst another is pulling out. Fast line platforms would be a nice to have - but not required. The priority is WLL and slow line platforms.
I recommend getting your tape measure out again.
You already get occasional calls at QP actually...and as handy as it is for the Bakerloo, it's such a wasted stop given a couple of stops up the line is Willesden Junction with all those LO journey opportunities radiating from it. It's like stopping at QR Battersea and then skipping Clapham Junction.
This is all very spurious. Check it all.
No, I'm certain it's Shepherds Bush
It is my opinion that we established in the first 50 posts of this thread that it is currently unclear as to what is going to happen on the WLL in the future, so don't be too certain yet.
...but you're not pulling the service, you're just changing it to make it more frequent. If the passengers can handle changing at Clapham as they already do, they can handle changing at Willesden if it means more trains can run.
See above.
WLL platforms and WCML platforms would be very close...
Ah, I see you've been out with the tape measure again.
Besides, the paths freed up on the BML slow lines can then be used to provide move metro services down that way.
Where are these metro services going when they hit Clapham, remind me?

My apologies to anyone trying to read that.

ushawk

Established Member

These are staff only i believe and not for passenger use. If passengers really need to use the NLL/Watford DC/WLL - then you may as well just increase calls at Wembley Central, as a few minutes down the DC line is Willesden, lot easier than building additional platforms.

Depends. Fast line platforms at Willesden would help for this...but would see so little use I can't imagine anyone would want to pay for them. During major incidents everything tends to terminate at Watford...it would be nice to have an option in London with onward links such as LO.

Fast line services would rarely, if ever, stop at stations south of Watford so thats even more unlikely. Virgin tend to stop at MKC and LM tend to just suspend everything !! LOROL does usually keep running though which is of course incredibly useful

Actually, in the peaks there are only 4tph at Harrow & Bushey, IIRC, mostly the Trings plus the odd shuttle. 2tph off peak, again IIRC. (It's been a year since I last commuted that way, now it's just trips home!)

2tph Trings and 2tph the 321 Watford shuttles. When you add the half-hourly Southern service (between Clapham and Watford) and LOROL, its fairly frequent. Off-peak its 2tph LM, 1tph Southern and 3tph LOROL. Of course the Southern services dont call at Bushey - maybe that could be inserted as a call.

I thought it was 110MPH running for the Northampton services, but it doesn't matter so much...they will still free up existing units.

You are right, it is 110mph. Not sure existing units will be free'd up though.

No, I'm certain it's Shepherds Bush, as there is a reversing siding north of there, and it's the primary traffic generator on the line from the south. In fact, I clearly recall moaning it wasn't Willesden on a forum somewhere when it was announced ;)

There is a siding there, yes and it is used a lot because of Westfield. As im not 100% certain where it will terminate i wont say more details on it. I think Watford would be a more suitable place myself (you could also extend it onto the Abbey Line but thats another topic altogether.

...but you're not pulling the service, you're just changing it to make it more frequent. If the passengers can handle changing at Clapham as they already do, they can handle changing at Willesden if it means more trains can run. WLL platforms and WCML platforms would be very close...for example, it's a change that happens at Harrow & Wealdstone as half the train empties at H&W and dashes over the bridge to the DC lines. Besides, the paths freed up on the BML slow lines can then be used to provide move metro services down that way.

1 change is all some people can manage, especially that 20 minutes up the line your going to need to change again. It wouldnt be a small distance to change either, as you would need to cross most of the station to get to the "new" platforms, which would be longer than it currently takes at Clapham. It doesnt really mean more services can run either as 1tph is freed up, but it isnt worth adding an extra LOROL service as the Southern paths run 5 minutes after the current LOROL services. Slight exaggeration on "half the train" emptying at Harrow too, ive never had this (a few get off yes but not half the train, which is usually nearly full up !!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Please continue defending him. I didn't accuse him of trolling however, just giving me a massive headache when I'm reading any forum or comments thread he's posted on.

You're going to find a way to fit that into Victoria? They run in addition to the normal frequency anyway.

I advise checking that with a tape measure Yes, of course, that follows. :roll:

Thank God you're not proposing sending more down it, eh?Ah, sorry, my mistake.
While I'm in the area, I just thought I'd check that the unlikely thing under discussion was the slow lines connected to the Abbey Line, and not the DC lines (as we've had in the past), yes?
Ah, yes, you're good at counting train paths. Would you mind showing us your working on this one please?
It's actually one of the major things that would need to be considered. Whilst a solution could almost certainly be found, don't just try and brush it off.
This overcrowding of course being unique to Euston services, and not common to virtually every single route into the capital at one time or another, including Southern's WLL services?
If you introduce another change at Willesden, then what will happen is that all but a brave few will opt to go via London and the tube instead as it will almost certainly be more convenient, particularly when they still haven't built your platforms at Willesden.
This is not entirely true.It is debatable if this is as much of a benefit as you think, although it certainly would be a benefit.
It is my opinion that we established in the first 50 posts of this thread that it is currently unclear as to what is going to happen on the WLL in the future, so don't be too certain yet.
See above. Ah, I see you've been out with the tape measure again. Where are these metro services going when they hit Clapham, remind me?

My apologies to anyone trying to read that.

Basically what ive missed out too :lol:

MK Tom

Established Member
This wasn't really what I had in mind when I created this thread... if we could get away from completely annihilating one bizarre scheme and back onto discussing genuine potential improvements for WCML-south of London services, that'd be awesome :)

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Looking back at the original post, if they ever felt a pressing need to extend the WLL service south of South Croydon they could possibly look at Purley or Sanderstead for it. Sanderstead is one of the notable exceptions to to TfLs 4tph aspiration at the moment and this could help. It's really close to Purley Oaks though, so there is only a limited point.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Would there be any merit in diverting some (existing) SN services from South London up the WLL (instead of to Victoria)?

For example, central London will always be a bigger market overall, but the increasing demand for places like Westfield at Shepherds Bush may make the WLL marginally more attractive for certain services?

ushawk

Established Member
Looking back at the original post, if they ever felt a pressing need to extend the WLL service south of South Croydon they could possibly look at Purley or Sanderstead for it. Sanderstead is one of the notable exceptions to to TfLs 4tph aspiration at the moment and this could help. It's really close to Purley Oaks though, so there is only a limited point.

Due to the short turnarounds at South Croydon, id say extending to Sanderstead would be difficult without a timetable re-cast. Extending to Purley would be an option though, as could Redhill - but again a re-cast would be needed.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If they did extend it, it would of course effectively serve at as completely different train service north and south of Croydon as it'd be quicker to change for all but a very few, but we've already covered that enough times now.

Would there be any merit in diverting some (existing) SN services from South London up the WLL (instead of to Victoria)?

For example, central London will always be a bigger market overall, but the increasing demand for places like Westfield at Shepherds Bush may make the WLL marginally more attractive for certain services?
Reducing current frequencies to Victoria would likely be a bad idea, but perhaps future additional services could be candidates to go up the WLL if they had nowhere else to go?

The sheer number of people getting off at Shepherd's Bush always amazes me though - it feels like a station that will need a new entrance or something if it starts to experience higher levels of usage.

ushawk

Established Member
The sheer number of people getting off at Shepherd's Bush always amazes me though - it feels like a station that will need a new entrance or something if it starts to experience higher levels of usage.

Very much agree, with the platforms to be extended, it could really do with another extrance/exit towards the "Willesden end" of the platforms, just space is the issue.

Its busy simply because of Westfield, its totally changed the area and has increased pax numbers on the line too - who says a few shops cant improve a railway line ??

tbtc

Veteran Member
Reducing current frequencies to Victoria would likely be a bad idea

As a suggestion, there's the London Bridge > Forest Hill > Sydenham > Crystal Palace > Clapham Junction > Victoria service every half hour. Most of the stations on that route have a frequent or faster service into central London stations, so diverting this to Shepherds Bush and Willesden might work.

Or there's the half hourly SN service from Beckenham Junction (which admittedly runs to London Bridge) - nobody would use that all the way from Beckehnam into central London, so it might be a reasonable service to divert up the WLL?

Short of saying "lets scrap Gatwick Express" there's little chance of getting more paths through East Croydon, so I'm just trying to take a different approach.

mr_jrt

Established Member
Apologies for the long post, replying to two posts responding to each of my earlier points. :)

There's no need for that attitude, thank you. The thread title is about the MKC-Croydon service, so comments in how I think that flow could be improved are quite on-topic. "Unrealistic and ill thought out" is purely subjective as well, so please, there's no need for the tone of your post.
Steady on!

He and I often don't agree (especially on Crossrail up the Chiltern!) but I don't think he's trolling as you unfairly imply - just passionate and with his own ideas. We all have our own biases and all of our ideas can seem farfetched to some.
Thank you. As always, this is a discussion forum - for discussion. If everyone was part of some horrible groupthink it's be fairly pointless. You lot, by all means critique the ideas, but do so constructively please. When someone proposes something it's their job to convince others and other's job to convince them otherwise.

Reading dissenting opinions gives you a massive headache? - Perhaps you need to stay away from the internet...there's a lot of different opinions on there ;)
I wasn't aware of that...something new to ponder. That said, soon the SLL services will be gone, freeing up Battersea-terminal capacity, and if I had my way and the outer SLL went to Willesden instead of Victoria, then you'd also have additional free capacity Clapham-terminal. Not sure what good it'd do give there's no additional lines south of there...but useful slack paths aside, it'll probably be useful perhaps if NR ever build that tunnel from Purley they keep bringing up :)
Something along those lines, yes. There are currently 6tph you can catch (dpt. x:07 x:17 x:26 x:37 x:47 x:56), which funnel you into 4 services (arr. x:31 x:44 x1:01 x1:15) by changing at Crystal Palace. I'm well aware timetabling is a complex topic, but the line Crystal Palace<>West Norwood Junction is only used additionally by services to Beckenham Junction and Sutton, so some rejigging to those could make more paths available, or the signalling could be improved as that doesn't seem to have a particularly high frequency (6tph all stations? - and I'm not aware of any non-stoppers running that way). It's even easier through Streatham Hill...but the bottleneck becomes Balham Junction-Clapham Junction. There are several major obstacles to widening the alignment here for an additional pair to solve that, but nothing insurmountable, given the will.
I advise checking that with a tape measure
Ditto, looks fine to me. The lines were slightly straightened out once the platforms were removed. They can just as easy be skewed back, and if everything on the slow lines would be stopping, then the curvature for those (within reason) is largely irrelevant. You also have lots of low-density industrial buildings all around. There are very few minor issues here, and no major ones. Feel free to go into more detail.
Yes, of course, that follows. :roll:
I know. :)
Thank God you're not proposing sending more down it, eh? Ah, sorry, my mistake.
Your grasp of maths is failing you. 4tph LO + 2tph Southern = 6tph, which are the current service levels. If you're going to be aggressive, at least make an effort to get your facts straight.[/quote]
I've always meant the slow lines in this discussion. I'd like a diveunder from the DC lines to the Abbey line, but that's something else entirely.
Euston's throat is extremely well designed, I've never been held waiting for a platform in all my years, and there are regularly 3-4 empty long platforms (usually including 18, 17 & 16).
It's a funding issue, not a engineering one. Hence why it's easy enough compared to the other factors to not worry about.
You'll note, I wasn't proposing that, just saying it should have tube-style frequencies, like the north and east London lines. There is a difference, an aspiration isn't a proposal. Crucial to achieving that is either moving freight off the WLL, or laying more tracks. I happen to thing given it's importance that the WLL should have a policy of being opportunistically four tracked where possible so LO's frequency can be increased. But anyway.
I'm not saying they're not overcrowded? Just if you want to try to resolve overcrowding you have to maximise the capacity where possible. A chain is as strong as it's weakest link, and likewise, a train service has the capacity of it's shortest platform and the pathing restrictions across at least two VERY busy mainlines. Decouple them and you greatly simplify pathing and can then increase paths on three different lines.
Well, duh. Obviously no platforms at Willesden means this is a non-starter. I think you underestimate the passengers TBH. A lot of them rely on journey planners and ticket clerks to sell them tickets, and given so many have found their way onto the slower cheaper routing via Olympia, I' suspect the vast majority would continue to do so. I know I would. ...and of course, it's far more convenient to scrum onto the Victoria Line at Euston and Victoria and through the maze of passageways than ~50m across a footbridge at Willesden and the same (which they largely already do!) at Clapham. I'm sorry, no, I disagree.
This is not entirely true.
For the purposes of this discussion though, it probably is.
It is debatable if this is as much of a benefit as you think, although it certainly would be a benefit.
Yay, a concession! Once the area is redeveloped it will become even more significant. Willesden and Old Oak have the potential to put Stratford to shame. It's crucial the infrastructure gets the most made out of it.
I agree, that layout would be very difficult to manage, but it would be possible if things like the turning circle for the buses was elevated and the depot access altered. These are not insurmountable things because they are all railway property.
No, you'll have to be more concise than that. Please be more specific.
It's funny, I went fact checking and discovered my information was out of date. You see, that 2nd tph Southern wanted to operate was in the 2008 RUS. And runs now, in the peaks. And terminates at Shepherds Bush. ;) So it's just the lengthening to 8-cars that is coming up in CP5. Don't get me wrong - Southern want to run to Watford (as MK's bay is only 4-car, so they can't run that far)...but I would imagine there just aren't paths. Because of the difficulty of pathing across 3 busy lines, 2 of which are major mainlines. Which is the point I've been trying to make.
Ah, I see you've been out with the tape measure again.
No, I have eyes. And the ability to judge and compare distances. Do you? You can clearly see that the distance from Willesden Junction High Level's central building to where the WLL platforms would go is compatible to the length of the high-level platforms, which are themselves only marginally longer than the existing interchange from the low-level DC line station.
Where are these metro services going when they hit Clapham, remind me?
See above reply about Crystal Palace<>Clapham

These are staff only i believe and not for passenger use.
They used to be unannounced years back, but the last few times I've been on a service heading to Watford at some ungodly hour they have actually been announced on the PIS.
If passengers really need to use the NLL/Watford DC/WLL - then you may as well just increase calls at Wembley Central, as a few minutes down the DC line is Willesden, lot easier than building additional platforms.
A fair point. It's a good stopgap, certainly, if you can convince LM to stop for that. The slooooow journey to Willesden via LO would destroy it as an interchange though, it'd just be too slow.
Fast line services would rarely, if ever, stop at stations south of Watford so thats even more unlikely. Virgin tend to stop at MKC and LM tend to just suspend everything !! LOROL does usually keep running though which is of course incredibly useful.
Indeed. It'll be the one thing I'll miss when they get evicted from Euston.
2tph Trings and 2tph the 321 Watford shuttles. When you add the half-hourly Southern service (between Clapham and Watford) and LOROL, its fairly frequent. Off-peak its 2tph LM, 1tph Southern and 3tph LOROL. Of course the Southern services dont call at Bushey - maybe that could be inserted as a call.
It's quite annoying that one, actually. My folks actually live in Bushey, and that's their local station, but to catch my Southern I have to go to Watford Junction or Harrow. Ironically, the journey is cheaper from Watford than Harrow...go figure. In the peaks when I commuted from there was certainly demand for at least a couple more 12-car tphs, and everything bar the Southern was already 12 car between 7am and 8am.
You are right, it is 110mph. Not sure existing units will be free'd up though.
The point I was going for was that if those new units are for Northamptons, then the units currently providing it will be freed up. :)
There is a siding there, yes and it is used a lot because of Westfield. As im not 100% certain where it will terminate i wont say more details on it. I think Watford would be a more suitable place myself (you could also extend it onto the Abbey Line but thats another topic altogether.
As discussed above, yes, 1tph terminates there, although Southern agree with you and would prefer Watford.
1 change is all some people can manage, especially that 20 minutes up the line your going to need to change again. It wouldnt be a small distance to change either, as you would need to cross most of the station to get to the "new" platforms, which would be longer than it currently takes at Clapham. It doesnt really mean more services can run either as 1tph is freed up, but it isnt worth adding an extra LOROL service as the Southern paths run 5 minutes after the current LOROL services. Slight exaggeration on "half the train" emptying at Harrow too, ive never had this (a few get off yes but not half the train, which is usually nearly full up !!)
Fair points - that's the kind of feedback I like. On the subject of Harrow, it was really, really dangerous, so I'm being honest. Our train left Euston at 6:54pm, pulled into Harrow at 7:14-odd and the LO service was due at 7:16. Losing a minute or two was strangely frequent and given it's 3tph on the DC lines there was a mad scramble up those stairs almost every night. LO was usually late mind you...but people weren't to know. Solidified my mind on the importance of cross-platform interchanges and pairing by direction if nothing else!

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Reading dissenting opinions gives you a massive headache?
- Perhaps you need to stay away from the internet...there's a lot of different opinions on there ;)
I have no problem with dissenting opinions - it would be incredibly hypocritical for me to think like that.

Rather, my problem is when a promising looking thread (or comments box, or whatever) which is already on the point of veering off the path of sensible suggestions (not least if me or someone like me has decided to post something speculative) is utterly derailed by some frightening badly thought out master plan. It's not just you who does it, but I've seen you do it more than enough times, and every time I see people who should know better take your idea to pieces to show you just how badly thought out it is, only to then have some additional massive garbage reply to pick through for their trouble. That is what frustrates me - not the general idiocy of people on the internet at large, that's something entirely unavoidable.

Anyway, I'm sorry I tricked myself into replying again, I'll try not to give you too much more to work with, but here's a couple of points:

It's a funding issue, not a engineering one. Hence why it's easy enough compared to the other factors to not worry about.
The major problem with everything you propose is funding. Everything listed above this point in your post was referring to extraordinarily expensive solutions to a problem that doesn't exist on anywhere near the scale you seem to be implying. The broad spoke of the thread as I remember it before all this happened, other than the brief foray towards the Abbey Line, was bouncing around ideas that broadly speaking looked achievable and mainly focussed on what might happen when the big post-Thameslink cascade that the whole country is now waiting for. Now look at what you proposed. It's almost worth it's own separate thread.

You'll note, I wasn't proposing that, just saying it should have tube-style frequencies, like the north and east London lines. There is a difference, an aspiration isn't a proposal.
When responding to you it is nigh on impossible to differentiate between aspirational and propositional because it is as all just as bloody unrealistic.
For the purposes of this discussion though, it probably is.
For the purposes of this discussion, Richard Branson can fly. That's not the point.

Stopping a train blocks the line behind it for the duration of its stop and thus drains capacity. There are train planners knocking around on the forum far more qualified than I to say this, but it isn't as much a non-issue as you initially claimed.

I concede that in the long term this mights have a big impact on the area although who knows what. Please talk about this instead of Willesden next time.

No, you'll have to be more concise than that. Please be more specific.
As a starting point, research what actually stops at Queens Park. Then see above for an additional point.

MK Tom

Established Member
Drifting way off topic guys. For the second time, can we please not devote the entire thread to debating mr_jrt's ideas. If you want to continue it I'm sure we can have a thread just for that, or use PMs... I'd quite like to discuss the thing I actually started the thread about.

anthony263

Established Member
I would like to see Southern run 2tph on the west London line since the current service is always crowded with people heading to Sheperds Bush.

Hopefully once the new trains for Thameslink enter service and Southern get their class 377/5's back from First Capital Connect we will see th extra service along with longer trains although this would depend on platforms being extended at some stations along the west London Line.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Didn't the MKC service to Croydon terminate at Brighton before?

Yes it used to go from Brighton & Gatwick Airport through to Rugby, but there seemed to problems with paths when Virgin wanted more fast services along the WCML. The service now stops at many more stations that it used to. It does seem a shame that it can't at least start from Gatwick, giving passengers from the North West Of London a more convient / through service to the airport rather than having to change or go via central London.

David10

this would depend on platforms being extended at some stations along the west London Line.
Try all of them, only platform 2 at Kensington Olympia is capable of handling 8 carriages. While the services are definitely busy south of Shepherds Bush, are they that busy north of?

Status
Not open for further replies.