• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamtruss41

I've seen an advert to become MOM, but vague salary. Does anyone know what the salary is? What date of the month you get paid? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
It depends on the grade, but most will be somewhere approaching £35k basic, very roughly (not got the pay scales to hand). Paid four weekly like the rest of the railway, so no chance of tying it into direct debit dates easily! Nice bonus when the thirteenth pay packet comes through though.

williamtruss41

Cheers. Just for mortgage reasons, what part of the month do you get paid? Is it the beginning or middle?

Tomnick

Established Member
Because it's every four weeks rather than monthly, it varies throughout the year! It'll gradually get earlier in each successive month, until you get the bonus month with a payday at the beginning and at the end. I think we were paid last Friday (20th Mar), so the next one will be 17th Apr, 15th May, 12th Jun and so on.

whhistle

On Moderation
Why it isn't just paid on the last Friday of the month I don't know.

The "bonus" pay isn't a bonus at all.
You worked the hours so you get paid. There's no bonus there, and the pay is still 4 weeks apart.

Tomnick

Established Member
It's not a bonus, quite right, but it feels like one if you work on the basis of each pay packet covering the bills for that month (so the thirteenth one is all yours).

leaffall

Why it isn't just paid on the last Friday of the month I don't know.

The "bonus" pay isn't a bonus at all.
You worked the hours so you get paid. There's no bonus there, and the pay is still 4 weeks apart.

I think it is because back in the day the pay was weekly, we still get weekly payslips, although the money doesn't go in until the 4th week. And like TomNick says although the 13th pay packet isn't a bonus per se, it's still a welcome bonus

Tomnick

Established Member
It is indeed. The chap who delivers the bog roll - a very important job indeed ;) .

TomBoyd

If you want a job where your feet are almost constantly on a desk, MOM is for you.

Crossover

Established Member
On the pay dates thing, I have been on it before (not on the railways) and it was referred to as Lunar. We were also warned about how it makes it sometimes awkward with Direct Debuts and such like and just to be mindful of it

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
isn't the clue in the first part of the job title - mobile?
Yes, but it's a mostly reactive rather than proactive role, meaning that it's very easy to sit around doing nothing when there is nothing in your patch happening that you are required to respond to.

scott118

Yes, but it's a mostly reactive rather than proactive role, meaning that it's very easy to sit around doing nothing when there is nothing in your patch happening that you are required to respond to.

again, it depends on which company, the MOM is working for.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mobile Operations Managers are employed by Network Rail.

There may be similar roles within the Tocs/freight operators but these will be quite a bit different from the role undertaken by a Mom. But regardless, the fact that you respond to operational issues on the railway means that for some of your time it is very easy to sit in an office or other location.

Tomnick

Established Member
Like those on Llanigraham's area, our MOMs are rarely sat around doing nothing. They might not spend a huge amount of time responding to incidents or faults, but they'll often be sent out to take actions following up from earlier incidents, making checks on bits of the infrastructure, delivering stores to the boxes (important!), refreshing their competency to operate boxes (or learning them in the first place) and so on.

plastictaffy

Don't know where you work, but the MOM's in our area are very rarely stuck in the office!

The MOM at my depot explained it thus - "this job is hours of enforced idleness, interspersed with periods of intense activity".
He goes out to all incidents that require a MOM. This covers everything from unit failures blocking the main line through to points failures, fatalities and dewirements.

TomBoyd

The MOM at my depot explained it thus - "this job is hours of enforced idleness, interspersed with periods of intense activity".

Exactly how ours describe it... I reckon some like to talk it up! We've got a few who think they're God's gift...

Certainly on my area us MOMs are increasingly expected to carry out routine tasks when not called to an incident. I spend a lot of my time carrying out fencing checks, junction checks, possession checks, points care etc. etc. but there is certainly still some downtime!

As for pay, if it is a grade 6 MOMs job the basic will be £35184, a grade 7 MOMs job will be £37951 I believe. But once you take into account night premium and Sundays it is a bit more. Plus on certain MOM areas there is a lot of overtime so you can end up earning considerably more than that.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I'll let mine know he is a 'fake' then..

Are you getting confused about what the OP was asking about?
As far as I and others have understood he was asking about a Network Rail Mobile Operations Manager. I do not know of any other job on the railway that uses the same exact title or acronym.
If there is please let us know?

Tomnick

Established Member
To be fair, the OP didn't specify Network Rail - we all just made the assumption! I suppose a TOC or FOC, or indeed anyone else, would be perfectly entitled to use the same title for their staff. I've never heard it myself, but I'm happy to be enlightened.

carriageline

Established Member
Like wise.

Also, any MOMs I have had would never described their job as most of their with their feet up!

Any good MOM is proactive rather than reactive. Possession checks, access point checks, point checks, rail head checks etc. Although ours ain't allowed out during the peak as they are slap bang in the middle of the route.

Status
Not open for further replies.