• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Established Member
Well, in that case, one can only play Heron Quays in response. Shipman's rules, 1988 fully updated and revised.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darren R

Established Member
It has taken a while for this particualr bird brain to decide his next move, but I cannot allow Canary Wharf to pass by without singing its praises.

Darren R

Established Member
Of course the exact origins of Mornington Crescent are lost in the mists of antiquity. It is certainly a very ancient game. William Byrd (c1540 - 1623) - the great English composer - was certainly a keen player. His diary from 1575 contains the following entry:

"Aypril 1st:
Everey Englyshman whose greater skylle and knowlege dothe excelle all at this time,
and farre to straynge countrys abrode his skill dothe shyne, extende theyr wit playinge Morninge Towne Crescentyne. Allack, tho muche desirous of mine to play sayd game, my mind dothe engage on motets and musick of piety and devotion."

At this time, he was of course, heavily involved in writing compositions for Queen Elizabeth and was a Gentleman of the Chapel Royal, following the death of Robert Parsons in 1572. Interestingly, the latter is the person after whom Parsons Green was named.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The Bronte sisters lived in a Parsonage

Emily Bronte wrote Wuthering Heights

Heathcliffe is a central character in Wuthering Heights

Laurence Olivier received an Oscar nomination for Best Actor for his performance as Heathcliffe in 1939

Colin Firth also won an Oscar for The Kings Speech

he also starred in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which is said, perhaps, to be based upon MI:6 who may or may not have their headquarters at:

Vauxhall

deltic

Established Member
MI6 at Vauxhall! - surely you are referring to the Circus (I asumme Le Carre pre 1970 rules still apply) - the question is which one - to throw the Stasi off the scent I'm going with Piccadilly Circus

DarloRich

Veteran Member
MI6 at Vauxhall! - surely you are referring to the Circus (I asumme Le Carre pre 1970 rules still apply) - the question is which one - to throw the Stasi off the scent I'm going with Piccadilly Circus

That was simply a ruse to throw Karla off the scent ;)

Using the same Le Carre rules then the correct station would have to be Lambeth

deltic

Established Member
Given the DDR embassy was at Belgrave Square the next move is Knightsbridge

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As we may need some intelligence on what is going on in there we best ask for help from the Security Service so best head for Green Park (Using the Le Carre rules)

OBVIOUSLY one couldn't possible comment as to where the current HQ of MI:5 may, should such a department or building actually exist, which it doesn't, be situated

Darren R

Established Member
All these oblique references to spies which may or may not actually exist makes me wonder if I should pay Baker Street a visit. I believe this is permissible using the Conan Doyle Variation?

Buttsy

Established Member
I've had enough of this, I'm going to invoke an Oxford's pub rules. Bear rules allow me to play Paddington

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
Only one place to go after that - off to 32 Windsor Gardens, the nearest tube station being Westbourne Park.

Darren R

Established Member
When he wasn't exploring his beloved Lake District, Alfred Wainwright loved playing Mornington Crescent. In his honour I shall move from Grange Hill to Buckhurst Hill - although the great man himself would probably consider it anything but Fell Walking.

Buttsy

Established Member
I'll play a prial of southern hills Herne Hill, Tulse Hill and Sydenham Hill, hopefully that'll get me the pot on this round...

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
On first glance there I was very worried about the possibility of a so-called 'square treble' (three consecutive triplets, if you dislike New DFQ terminology) which would lock us into territory that is a nightmare to adjudicate, so I'm somewhat relieved to see edwin_m closed the door - and indeed took it off the latch - on that one.

backontrack

Established Member
On first glance there I was very worried about the possibility of a so-called 'square treble' (three consecutive triplets, if you dislike New DFQ terminology) which would lock us into territory that is a nightmare to adjudicate, so I'm somewhat relieved to see edwin_m closed the door - and indeed took it off the latch - on that one.

Don't be so sure.

Settle - that is if we are using the Airedale bypass. If not, I will raise you a Hornbeam Park.

backontrack

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance, but is the Pimlico Proviso in place (possibly to the chagrin of those playing a classic Barking to Vauxhall Half Nelson)?

If so, Pimlico.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Pardon my ignorance, but is the Pimlico Proviso in place (possibly to the chagrin of those playing a classic Barking to Vauxhall Half Nelson)?

If so, Pimlico.

Following your (Passport to?) Pimlico and using the Ealing (Broadway?) comedy ruling of late 1940's i shall play Clapham Junction and pay a visit to the Lavender Hill mob

backontrack

Established Member
Ooh, I commend your Clapham Junction sir.

And with that in mind, I shall play the only move I can do from this end of south London, and play Moorgate.

backontrack

Established Member
Is that valid? I mean, from my viewpoint, you've made a bad mistake.

I evoke the Holborn Holdback.

Status
Not open for further replies.