• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most beautiful line in Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Of cource if we're going to be technical, 156s are Super Sprinters (along with 155s and therefore 153s), Sprinters are 150s.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Though they did need mods first!

Another vote for Exeter-Exmouth - it used to be my commute and some of the sunsets over the estuary were stunning.

Non-uk, I'd go for the Lotschberg Mountain route and the Brunigbahn

west highland line is the best - as voted most scenic rail journey two years running
Kyle line
Perth-Inverness
Ayr-Stranraer
Glasgow-carlisle via dumfries is nice
Oxenholme area
Dunbar-Berwick

Another amazing rail journey which you must do is
Exhibition Centre-dalmarnock :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Kernowfem

Liskeard-Looe

St Erth-St Ives

Settle-Carlisle

Preserved: Severn Valley and the North Norfolk

The east lincolnshire lines went through some beautiful countryside too, especially the Louth-Bardney branch, shame are they are no more....

I don't like how it's 156s. Nothing against them, but I'd much rather the 158s take over these duties.
Our 158s are useless they never work constantly fail, doors always fail, air con? don't get me started on that. they are claustrophobic due to the seating and in the winter the heating never works, 156s are reliable, good braking, handle the gradients, rarely fail and in the winter they strike alot of animals on the line and don't get damaged the same happens on the far north lines with the 158s and they normally get a fair bit of damage and loosing an actual engine has been known in 158s as well due to striking animals! 156s all the way for the west highland line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bittern

Established Member
I use ScotRail 158s all the time, and only twice has the air-con been out. It's as close to "never work, constantly fail" etc that they've ever got. Never a majour problem with them at all. In fact, I did the Shotts line twice simply because they now operate on it in contrast to the 156s.

Now I like the 156s. They're good trains, but I simply prefer the 158s overall. I find the 158s far more comfortable and suitable for longer journeys.

I use ScotRail 158s all the time, and only twice has the air-con been out. It's as close to "never work, constantly fail" etc that they've ever got. Never a majour problem with them at all. In fact, I did the Shotts line twice simply because they now operate on it in contrast to the 156s.

Now I like the 156s. They're good trains, but I simply prefer the 158s overall. I find the 158s far more comfortable and suitable for longer journeys.
I wish my luck was as good as yours with the aircon lol

tbtc

Veteran Member
Our 158s are useless they never work constantly fail, doors always fail, air con? don't get me started on that. they are claustrophobic due to the seating and in the winter the heating never works,

...by those standards, I'm surprised ScotRail want to keep the ones they "borrowed" from Northern, even after Bathgate goes EMU

The ScotRail 158s should have been swapped for Central 156s all those years ago, which would have saved a lot of bother

LE Greys

Established Member
The West Highland sleeper portion to Fort William is hauled by a Class 67, and has been since 2006/7.

Shows you how much I know! :oops: I'm a bit out of touch with Scotland since I left Aberdeen a few years ago.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...by those standards, I'm surprised ScotRail want to keep the ones they "borrowed" from Northern, even after Bathgate goes EMU

The ScotRail 158s should have been swapped for Central 156s all those years ago, which would have saved a lot of bother

That I do know. Scotrail wanted to do it, but the Executive wouldn't let them. They had paid for a refurb a few years before, and didn't want their cash wasted on Sassanachs in the Midlands.

Bittern

Established Member

The ScotRail 158s are good units. They do their jobs well, and 67007's experiences with them are either a) exagerrated or b) just bad luck.

I could go on to say that the 320s suck because I've had a few bad experiences with them and that they should be replaced with...whatever class of EMU that doesn't operate here. But the fact is they too do their job well and my bad luck with them is just that - bad luck.

I use the 158s all the time. They're good trains and replacing them with 156s would've been a mistake. Take the Far North Line, for example. I beleive that passenger useage on that increased after the 158s replaced the 156s.

harz99

The ScotRail 158s are good units. They do their jobs well, and 67007's experiences with them are either a) exagerrated or b) just bad luck.

I use the 158s all the time. They're good trains and replacing them with 156s would've been a mistake. Take the Far North Line, for example. I beleive that passenger useage on that increased after the 158s replaced the 156s.

Unfortunately Scotrail's 156 units all have life expired interiors - unlike 156s elswhere they have never received a full refurbishment to the seating, tables, toilets etc. only new seat covers and other cosmetic "improvements" on the exterior.

As others have indicated they remain reliable day in day out, and from the point of appreciating scenery they must remain as the most suitable stock with their large windows and semi highback seats - I just wish they were more comfortable!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm going to throw in Bridlington-Filey of the Yorkshire Coast Line as a bit of a wildcard. In fact, the Wolds generally are pleasant, shame pretty much all lines through them are now deceased!

my favourite lines would have to be (in no particular order)

heart of wales line
cambrian lines
plymouth to gunnislake
west highland line
sheffield to manchester on the hope valley

Bittern

Established Member
Unfortunately Scotrail's 156 units all have life expired interiors - unlike 156s elswhere they have never received a full refurbishment to the seating, tables, toilets etc. only new seat covers and other cosmetic "improvements" on the exterior.

As others have indicated they remain reliable day in day out, and from the point of appreciating scenery they must remain as the most suitable stock with their large windows and semi highback seats - I just wish they were more comfortable!

I never said the 156s weren't reliable. I was saying that the Scottish 158s are better trains than people are making them out to be.

CarterUSM

Established Member

Spot on, 156's are great workhorses, and remain amazingly reliable to this day despite some of their slightly grubby and noisy interiors. Not ideal for passenger loading on suburban services, but do the job regardles.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I never said the 156s weren't reliable. I was saying that the Scottish 158s are better trains than people are making them out to be.

I agree with that too, my only complaint is the cramped cab.:(

LE Greys

Established Member
Open the front door and stretch out? :D Theres probably a million and one rules for why you couldn't run with the corridor door open.

Not that they apply in the South West, 442 drivers used to do it all the time.

GNER 373

Got to put forward a recent journey's discovery, heading towards Edinburgh on the ECML at around sunrise with the section between Alnmouth, Berwick and Edinburgh is some sight!

Going along that stretch of coastline with the sun cracking the trees is a sight to behold!

Status
Not open for further replies.