• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most exhilarating station approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

R G NOW.

Hasn't anybody thought of the approach to Bristol parkway, with it's views from the viaducts. It was really breathtaking until the masts went up for the wires, which has spoilt the view a bit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
Sightly left field perhaps but the entrance to Sheffield from the Doncaster direction always impresses me. The looking down on Attercliffe and Brightside area then disappearing into brick walled sided tracks before popping out into the station area....

It's interesting that you should say that - I always feel that Sheffield feels a bit inadequate compared to other big northern cities - both in terms of the local heavy rail networks and the view of the city that you see - e.g. sat at Midland station with the brutal architecture of Park Hill flats on one side and the big grey lumps of the old ODEON/Roxy buildings on the other side - but maybe that's my overfamiliarity with it - you certainly do get a nice view of the valley from around where Attercliffe Road station used to be - I'm glad you like it - it's certainly quite a height difference as you hurtle down into the darkness - it's a shame that the combination of embankment/ viaduct/ deep cutting means that it'll be horribly hard to ever increase capacity between Midland and Meadowhall

Cletus

Established Member
Apart from the final short tunnel, the approach to Dover Priory, alongside the English Channel, around the slooooow curve with the White Cliffs and Dover Castle in view.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I know that it’s not the most visually spectacular, but there’s something special for me about the approach to York station when coming from Hull. Probably harks back to when I was younger and the thoughts of all the cool, interesting trains I would see that never came here. Yes, XC Voyagers were interesting once upon a time.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Lausanne from the Bern train with the amazing view over Léman, then seeing the line from Brig/Simplon get nearer and nearer.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Haymarket, you race alongside the trams running into the station

York, high-speed approach from the North

Newcastle - bridges

Stirling, racing downhill from Larbert

Glasgow Central, approach over the bridge

Edinburgh Waverley, approach from either side

Probably think of more, that'll come to me later

jfisher21

Actually the run into Charing Cross and the view of the Thames and Big Ben is not bad. Although a bit obstructed by the railway bridge it certainly beats the Jubilee Line! Less crowded too if coming from London Bridge.

Skipness

Approach to Plymouth from the west involved a slow transit across Brunel’s bridge at high level above the Tamar, best viewed to the right to avoid the road bridge. Spectacular views of the river and shipping.

Revaulx

The approach to Rochester across the Medway is interesting. The castle and cathedral seem to swap places every time you go round even a gentle bend.

kylemore

When you emerge from the cutting on the final approach to Wemyss Bay and the Firth of Clyde opens up on the right with the ferry approaching from Rothesay.

mrcheek

Established Member
Approaches on bridges or viaducts seem to be the most popular here!

Newcastle, Berwick, Glasgow Central, all very good. But my vote would have to go to Charing Cross. In the space of 2 minutes, you can see more of the major sights of London than some people will see in an entire day!

Chris217

For me,it would be Cardiff Central.
Coming from Queen St down the bank with a view of the magnificent station on the right. With the mainlines to Newport dropping down.
Even from Newport climbing up the bank and a gentle right bend into the station.
Although I preferred the former track layout as it used to be quite complex.
Now its remodelled with reverse workings on most platforms 0-4

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Durham north and south as you get to gaze across the city to the cathedral and castle. It's a pity the scruffy nature of North Road and the bus station spoils the view as you cross the viaduct. Mind you can also see the beer garden of one of my watering holes Fraggle Rock (The Angel) as you cross the viaduct! XD

Berwick aswell as you swing round the curve and get to see the royal border bridge.

Alnmouth always delights me. The view of the village as you sweep down the hill towards the station reminds me of Balamory

mmh

Established Member
I don't know if I'd call it exhilarating, but the approach to Conwy through the tubular bridge is unique, with a unique sound too.

Howardh

Established Member
Heading southbound into Bromley Cross from Entwistle, the view from the left is quite stunning, and unbelievable that it's so close to Bolton and the Manchester conurbation. Could be one of the those lines which goes from gorgeous (north of Bromley Cross) to appalling (South of Bolton) in the shortest distance!

uvarvu

I really liked the descent down to East Croydon on the Quarry lines but only in a class 319. Sitting under the pantograph with all of the hoppers open and hearing that thrash made my hairs stand on end, especially with the train lurching all over the place.

InOban

Established Member
I am biased, but I am surprised that no-one has mentioned the approach to Oban. Round the golf course, across the valley, into the rock cutting to emerge in the town centre next the ferry terminal

Stigy

Established Member
Haven’t read this entire thread so apologies if someone has mentioned this.....what about the magnificent approach to Fratton? Especially on a spring evening with a glorious sunset or the glow of a burning Vauxhall Nova on the horizon...;)

Southsider

I am biased, but I am surprised that no-one has mentioned the approach to Oban. Round the golf course, across the valley, into the rock cutting to emerge in the town centre next the ferry terminal
Railway Pier is more in keeping with the narrative?

SteveyBee131

Wakefield Westgate from the South, crossing over the River Calder and the 99 arch viaduct. Wide views over the countryside up to the Emley Moor transmission tower, as well as the city of Wakefield.

4REP

Truro is an interesting arrival coming from London. You pass over the bridge and can see all over the city and its cathedral.

Whisky Papa

It's great if you like rows and rows of terrace houses I guess!

In that case, you should enjoy arrivng at Todmorden, ideally from the Burnley direction but the other approaches are good too. It may be purely local bias of course, but I think the whole Copy Pit line is an unsung gem.

Iskra

Established Member
I like Leeds from the West, tracks emerging and merging from all directions, lots of parallel lines and then suddenly more lines appear as you get to the platforms- the bays, the cross overs, the through lines. It's like the Russian Doll of railway approaches. Throw in the railway interest, the history evident, the city scape and to me it's an exciting approach, you feel like you are arriving in a place where things are happening. Some of the London Terminus' have the same feeling.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I like Leeds from the West, tracks emerging and merging from all directions, lots of parallel lines and then suddenly more lines appear as you get to the platforms- the bays, the cross overs, the through lines. It's like the Russian Doll of railway approaches. Throw in the railway interest, the history evident, the city scape and to me it's an exciting approach, you feel like you are arriving in a place where things are happening. Some of the London Terminus' have the same feeling.

It is - until you get to the five minute wait at engine shed junction for a platform !

Iskra

Established Member
It is - until you get to the five minute wait at engine shed junction for a platform !

Yes, that does kill it somewhat! I always find it more exhilarating on a full-length London train, which seem to get in quicker and are more impressive weaving across the junctions.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, that does kill it somewhat! I always find it more exhilarating on a full-length London train, which seem to get in quicker and are more impressive weaving across the junctions.

Indeed. Preferably an EMT HST !

Status
Not open for further replies.