• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail Trainee Train Driver Old Oak Common

Status
Not open for further replies.

donpoku

Hi guys & girls, just want some clarification on a few things please. 1) How far before starting do you do your medical? 2) After the medical, how long before you get your results? 3) Has anyone had their start date moved forward, if yeah did they receive no paperwork?
Usually 3/4 weeks minimum from medical to start date - to allow for any medical failures and adjustment of courses.

Have you got a conditional start date pending medical? If yes congratulation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

donpoku

Hi guys & girls, just want some clarification on a few things please. 1) How far before starting do you do your medical? 2) After the medical, how long before you get your results? 3) Has anyone had their start date moved forward, if yeah did they receive no paperwork?
Usually 3/4 weeks minimum from medical to start date - to allow for any medical failures and adjustment of courses.

Peds82

It was for 2nd October but I got a call to say it will be brought forward to August but no actual start date. So was trying to get info from anyone who's been in the same situation.

Thanks. Can't wait to get started.

1986deano

It was for 2nd October but I got a call to say it will be brought forward to August but no actual start date. So was trying to get info from anyone who's been in the same situation.

Thanks. Can't wait to get started.

Hey peds I was originally starting in may but got pulled forward to start in April (week tomorrow) they sent me exact same contract to sign the only difference was the start date had changed just had to sign it again and send off!! Hope that helps!!

Peds82

Hey peds I was originally starting in may but got pulled forward to start in April (week tomorrow) they sent me exact same contract to sign the only difference was the start date had changed just had to sign it again and send off!! Hope that helps!!

Hi 1986deano, thanks for the info that's basically what I was looking for. Good luck for next week and beyond.

DA1

Does anyone think there will be another recruitment drive for the Plumstead/Abbey Wood Depot?

Sugarpuff

scabek

Does anyone think there will be another recruitment drive for the Plumstead/Abbey Wood Depot?

Depending on how many who applied back in Jan got through successfully, prob have to wait a little while for them to wittle it down, get the old oak common drive over and done with, then come back to Plumstead. Saw lots of people in HQ for the assessments last month

TrainSailing

For those who are about to start, how strict are they on the 40min travel rule. I'm bang on the hour so was wondering if any of you who have been successful were asked throughout the recrutiment process or are they a little flexible?

I was never asked about timings but that's probably because I'm well within 40 mins. The only thing I was asked is how I would I get to work.

iParkerP

Fingers crossed they will. All depends on how many people pass the first wave and how many numbers they need.

DA1

Fingers crossed they will. All depends on how many people pass the first wave and how many numbers they need.

I'm hoping so as well. Missed out applying the first time round but if the opportunity arises again I'll definitely go for it.

Tron81

To those on this thread, those who have taken the tests, what is the VSE about.. just a clarification as they have re advertised and i wasn't sure. Many thanks for the help is it an image shown for 3 seconds or is it more finding a sequence of information in a grid of sequences?

krisztina

Hey guys! I just got an e-mail that I am going to the assessment centre on the 23rd of August 2017. Anyone else going on that day? How do you guys prepare? :)

cseasy1984

Hey guys! I just got an e-mail that I am going to the assessment centre on the 23rd of August 2017. Anyone else going on that day? How do you guys prepare? :)

Hello and congratulations. The best way to prepare would be to spend a set amount of time each day going over the practice material MTR have sent you. The tests will not be exactly the same but they will follow the same principles. You can also search these forums for more advice.

Wireman

Hey Krisztina if you don't mind me asking when did you finish your vse and sjt?

MarcellaT

Hi all,

Another newbie! I've been given a date to sit
The Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test Part 1 and 2
· The Group Bourdon Concentration Test
· The Driver Fault Finding Test (DFFT)
· The Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessmentu (TEA-Occ)

I've been reading through the chat and it's really helpful! Just wanted to wish everyone going for the role good luck.

Malsujeto

Hi all,

I did my assessment on the 29th of August 2017 but I failed the Bourdon Concentration Test.
I was practising a lot at home but still fail I don't know if because of the nerves or so, the assessor told me maybe cause I was too fast... I talked with rest of candidates and many failed the Bourdon test too. Even some people attending the Bourdon test for the second time find it quite hard really.

Quite a shame cause I succeed the TRP1&2 both achieved national standard and MTR standard.

The assessor told me I can try again after 6 months? Any tips please cause I really want to become an MTRCrossrail train driver.

Thanks!

Last edited:

flowerbirds

Hey everyone!

I did my first assessment day last week and got through - don't think I would have managed it without this forum though, so thanks a lot to everyone who has put advice on here.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about practising for in the second half is the 2 hand coordination stuff, I've looked all through the forum and this is the only part of the process I'm struggling to find much on.

So, does anyone have any advice or revising tips? I saw someone mention playing Tetris at one point!

Thanks!

baz962

Established Member
Hey everyone!

I did my first assessment day last week and got through - don't think I would have managed it without this forum though, so thanks a lot to everyone who has put advice on here.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about practising for in the second half is the 2 hand coordination stuff, I've looked all through the forum and this is the only part of the process I'm struggling to find much on.

So, does anyone have any advice or revising tips? I saw someone mention playing Tetris at one point!

Thanks!

Hi mate I was a bit worried but it should be fine I do play x box a lot and use a joystick at work but it doesn't really prepare you for the 2 handed thing. out of the ten times through the maze I didn't go out the lines 3 times and I did on seven of the goes and at least 4 times on one maze. I don't think it is too focused on accuracy as much as joint speed plus they are looking to see if you panic or get it back in the lines quickly and calmly mate. So a mixture of speed and accuracy and calmness.

flowerbirds

Hi mate I was a bit worried but it should be fine I do play x box a lot and use a joystick at work but it doesn't really prepare you for the 2 handed thing. out of the ten times through the maze I didn't go out the lines 3 times and I did on seven of the goes and at least 4 times on one maze. I don't think it is too focused on accuracy as much as joint speed plus they are looking to see if you panic or get it back in the lines quickly and calmly mate. So a mixture of speed and accuracy and calmness.

Thanks for that mate, that's helpful! So it works that you get a maze and you use the joystick to move a ball round the maze? I saw somewhere that it was left hand for up and down and right hand for left to right (or the opposite maybe lol). So you always have to keep traction on the joystick, even if you're not using it, is that right??

baz962

Established Member
Thanks for that mate, that's helpful! So it works that you get a maze and you use the joystick to move a ball round the maze? I saw somewhere that it was left hand for up and down and right hand for left to right (or the opposite maybe lol). So you always have to keep traction on the joystick, even if you're not using it, is that right??

Yea so one hand is up/down and the other left/right, got me trying to remember which is which lol and if you let go they centralise so if you go up you stop but keep the up one in that position while you go left or right but the mazes go diagonal and curved too so you don't get it easy lol.

hopefulldriver

Hello
1st post so sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

Applied for the trainee driver job and have sat and passed all the tests, assessments etc and am now waiting for my manager interview. It's been 2 weeks and the longest period of silence since it all began. I was just wondering if anyone who's got this far could let me know how long it was before they got their interview. I don't want to hassle them or seem impatient but I've had no email or letter confirming even my existence at the assessment sessions and am wondering if I should get in touch or just wait it out. What I don't want to do is wait too long and find out something was lost in the post and they've moved on without me. Any help, reassurance, guidance greatly appreciated. All the best.

Techno77

I waited more than 7 weeks for the interview invitation. Apparently they are very busy.

flowerbirds

They told me at assessment day that it would be at least 8 weeks, but possibly more. So don't worry!

Hello
1st post so sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

Applied for the trainee driver job and have sat and passed all the tests, assessments etc and am now waiting for my manager interview. It's been 2 weeks and the longest period of silence since it all began. I was just wondering if anyone who's got this far could let me know how long it was before they got their interview. I don't want to hassle them or seem impatient but I've had no email or letter confirming even my existence at the assessment sessions and am wondering if I should get in touch or just wait it out. What I don't want to do is wait too long and find out something was lost in the post and they've moved on without me. Any help, reassurance, guidance greatly appreciated. All the best.

niahay1985

Apologies if this has been asked already in the thread or in other forums. I have passed the assessments and am now awaiting the managers interview like others in here.

My question is, assuming all goes well and I pass everything at the first time of asking, at what point would I become a 'fully qualified' train driver? Would I go straight from the 28k training salary to the 55k driver salary or is it a longer progression with increments built in?

I only ask as I'll initially be taking a significant pay cut and with a mortgage and an upcoming wedding to pay for, it would be handy to make financial plans.

Many thanks

Dscs

Apologies if this has been asked already in the thread or in other forums. I have passed the assessments and am now awaiting the managers interview like others in here.

My question is, assuming all goes well and I pass everything at the first time of asking, at what point would I become a 'fully qualified' train driver? Would I go straight from the 28k training salary to the 55k driver salary or is it a longer progression with increments built in?

I only ask as I'll initially be taking a significant pay cut and with a mortgage and an upcoming wedding to pay for, it would be handy to make financial plans.

Many thanks
Training will be 28k then once qualified approx 42k for 12 months then increases to 55k. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.