• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

reddragon

Established Member
I'm fairly sure I've said before how I love the scale of your layout. The size makes it so much more realistic for a modern image mainline: though that's definitely not to say that a smaller layout can't be realistic - quite the opposite, in fact! I'm sure I've asked before, so apologies, but when do you expect to start some of the scenic work?

-Peter
:rolleyes: errm . . .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
Due to an unprecedented RED level 4 extreme weather event all services on my railway will be suspended from Sunday 17th July until 20th July at the earliest.

Many of my locos have departed for cooler regions, with 8 units covering a reduced timetable. Extreme heat last week caused power supply issues, train failures and a buckled track.

Train drivers are asking for aircon to be fitted otherwise industrial action may ensue, a strike ballot is being undertaken by the union and may result in a strike.

D821

Due to an unprecedented RED level 4 extreme weather event all services on my railway will be suspended from Sunday 17th July until 20th July at the earliest.

Many of my locos have departed for cooler regions, with 8 units covering a reduced timetable. Extreme heat last week caused power supply issues, train failures and a buckled track.

Train drivers are asking for aircon to be fitted otherwise industrial action may ensue, a strike ballot is being undertaken by the union and may result in a strike.
Will you be running a replacement bus service?

reddragon

Established Member
Is it operating a Sunday Service?
There will be a weekend service with services being suspended on Sunday at 2pm. The maintenance teams advise that a full track inspection, ECO testing and an exam on each loco will be required prior to restoration of services.

xotGD

Established Member
There will be a weekend service with services being suspended on Sunday at 2pm. The maintenance teams advise that a full track inspection, ECO testing and an exam on each loco will be required prior to restoration of services.
A big fail for my attempted gag about Jesus and a Sunday (church) service!

reddragon

Established Member
Following a long a protracted industrial dispute services returned on 27th August after all stock returned to the railway!

Also over the summer my new FGW HST coaches arrived - 40204, 41109,41110
1665407329521.png
1665407385282.png

The FGW rake is now completed except for the TS coach C

As a result my GWR Green coaches 40755+41160+42005 all the latest models were listed on eBay, 40755 has already gone!

Some Lima stock will also be joining it as I continue the Lima run down, probably sold 15+ so far moving Lima from 1st to 4th place loco wise!

Peter C

Established Member
Lovely to see things back up and running @reddragon! Those coaches look lovely - though I do have a soft spot for a First Great Western blue HST set. That reminds me - I must get on with trying to paint up my own version - a job for the winter, methinks... ;)
Did you run much, if anything, over the summer, perhaps just to make sure it all still works? I've barely run anything on my layout over the summer. Now to get around to making sure all the engines are still 'fit for service'!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Lovely to see things back up and running @reddragon! Those coaches look lovely - though I do have a soft spot for a First Great Western blue HST set. That reminds me - I must get on with trying to paint up my own version - a job for the winter, methinks... ;)
Did you run much, if anything, over the summer, perhaps just to make sure it all still works? I've barely run anything on my layout over the summer. Now to get around to making sure all the engines are still 'fit for service'!

-Peter
After the successive heatwaves forced me to bring things down into the cooler areas and a long summer holiday, I ran everything once or twice before settling into my random driving again, but that still results in a loco unused for 44 days!

I also had a few more HIA Freightliner wagons arrive from Dapol last month, increasing that rake to 18 HAI/MJA in green.

Peter C

Established Member
After the successive heatwaves forced me to bring things down into the cooler areas and a long summer holiday, I ran everything once or twice before settling into my random driving again, but that still results in a loco unused for 44 days!

I also had a few more HIA Freightliner wagons arrive from Dapol last month, increasing that rake to 18 HAI/MJA in green.
Ahh ok - that's fair. But I suppose if you've been looking after them and maintaining them properly - which I'm sure you have, having read your other posts - then they shouldn't take a lot of work to get running again, if any.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Ahh ok - that's fair. But I suppose if you've been looking after them and maintaining them properly - which I'm sure you have, having read your other posts - then they shouldn't take a lot of work to get running again, if any.

-Peter
It was funny but the DCC system went into fault on hot days & refused to power up.

Couple of locos have been complaining and 2 wagons now derail all the time, maybe the heat?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah heat is not a good mix with plastic models. I bet a few people have found that out to their cost this year!

MotCO

Established Member
It was funny but the DCC system went into fault on hot days & refused to power up.

Couple of locos have been complaining and 2 wagons now derail all the time, maybe the heat?

Maybe the heat has caused the rails to buckle! Time for a TSR perhaps.

reddragon

Established Member
My 3 GWR Mk3 slam door coaches have all now departed to their new railways along with a Hornby TEA tanker.

Next to go in the Lima run down is my 31, 60 and 10x heavily weathered TEA wagons. Also going is my NSE DCC fitted class 466 as it's too short for my current operational railway.

Peter C

Established Member
I'm glad to hear you're managing to sell of these bits of your stock. I bet that Class 466 could command quite the price if you do it as an auction - DCC fitted and NSE livery would make it a fairly rare item I expect?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I'm glad to hear you're managing to sell of these bits of your stock. I bet that Class 466 could command quite the price if you do it as an auction - DCC fitted and NSE livery would make it a fairly rare item I expect?

-Peter
It's a one off DCC fitted set in the super rare Kent link livery too.

31.160 has sold too now.

Next time eBay has an offer on my Lima tankers, class 60 and Hornby class 466 will be listed

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
As you guessed correctly my limited edition DCC fitted class 466 sold instantly and is now on it's new railway.

Yesterday my Lima class 60 050 departed for it's new railway reducing my Lima locos to 5. I once had 20+ !!

My Lima TEA tankers are not selling yet though. OK I priced a bit high but will take a decent offer for the rake of 10. Yes @Cowley those oil wagons that are not with my railways environmental policy are finally going because not much couples to them and the rumble (wife hate the noise they make), so really they are sound fitted too!

I also had 2 arrivals yesterday, both Hattons bargains, one new, one via an email exchange & a deal. You can get deals like this when low prices, high availability and time in stock are just right. Pictures later once DCC fitted.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My Lima TEA tankers are not selling yet though. OK I priced a bit high but will take a decent offer for the rake of 10. Yes @Cowley those oil wagons that are not with my railways environmental policy are finally going because not much couples to them and the rumble (wife hate the noise they make), so really they are sound fitted too!

Brilliant. Just like the real thing!

reddragon

Established Member
Well I unwrapped my new Hornby Colas 60021, a bargain at £130 only to find the box full of bits that should have been fitted to the loco. I don't mind the odd bit but a full set of horns with break marks was too much so it's going back!

1668180268642.png

The second at £185 was a class 411 unit 7134 to compliment my other class 411 unit 7113. The pair are now running with a 4TC making an effective although inaccurate 12 car unit.

Unit 7134

1668180403358.png

Class 411s joined

1668180425089.png

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well I unwrapped my new Hornby Colas 60021, a bargain at £130 only to find the box full of bits that should have been fitted to the loco. I don't mind the odd bit but a full set of horns with break marks was too much so it's going back!

View attachment 123704

The second at £185 was a class 411 unit 7134 to compliment my other class 411 unit 7113. The pair are now running with a 4TC making an effective although inaccurate 12 car unit.

Unit 7134

View attachment 123705

Class 411s joined

View attachment 123706

Those 411s look absolutely gorgeous. Do they run well together?

reddragon

Established Member
Those 411s look absolutely gorgeous. Do they run well together?
60021 dispatched back to Hattons. A real pity!

The 411s run well as a pair. Previously 1 towed the 4TC now both tow the 4TC as a 12-car until the class 410 price comes right down to earth.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
60021 dispatched back to Hattons. A real pity!

The 411s run well as a pair. Previously 1 towed the 4TC now both tow the 4TC as a 12-car until the class 410 price comes right down to earth.

So have you got them paired up on DCC?

reddragon

Established Member
So have you got them paired up on DCC?
Yes my pairs of 411s & 450s both have the same DCC ID and run at about the same speed. The 491 has a separate ID as it is hauled not powered. It's good to have 8/12 car units!

So tonight my Heljan Hymek refuses to move and the Hornby 67 only goes forwards, not backwards! Maybe sulking as Hornby class 60 in same livery was sent back!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes my pairs of 411s & 450s both have the same DCC ID and run at about the same speed. The 491 has a separate ID as it is hauled not powered. It's good to have 8/12 car units!
I’ve got two of my 33s set on the same address so I can doublehead them now and again. Have to remember to take one of them off the layout if I’m running them singly though, otherwise the one that I can’t see derails in the fiddle yard!

I’ve set the cab in one of them to reverse and disconnected the tail lights so they don’t come on at the same time as the front loco. Seems to work quite well.
B8A9D655-66E9-4EE4-8BC0-2D35FA42E858.jpeg

So tonight my Heljan Hymek refuses to move and the Hornby 67 only goes forwards, not backwards! Maybe sulking as Hornby class 60 in same livery was sent back!
That’s a pity about the class 60. Sounds a bit like you received at Airfix kit!

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve got two of my 33s set on the same address so I can doublehead them now and again. Have to remember to take one of them off the layout if I’m running them singly though, otherwise the one that I can’t see derails in the fiddle yard!

I’ve set the cab in one of them to reverse and disconnected the tail lights so they don’t come on at the same time as the front loco. Seems to work quite well.
View attachment 123715

That’s a pity about the class 60. Sounds a bit like you received at Airfix kit!
I'm liking that picture. Is the front 33 one of the 'slim Jim' versions? It looks slightly thinner to me in the picture, but it could just be a trick of the lens.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm liking that picture. Is the front 33 one of the 'slim Jim' versions? It looks slightly thinner to me in the picture, but it could just be a trick of the lens.

Unfortunately much as I like a 33/2 Dapol haven’t produced one yet @Iskra. I used to have a Heljan 00 gauge one though and that was excellent.