• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Accurascale are really good with their models. Shame they don’t have more of them though.
For a new entrant to the market, they seem to be establishing quite a sizeable and varied range already, including quite a variety of different liveries and variations amongst each loco, carriage or wagon design they produce.

reddragon

Established Member
That is rather nice. What services would they have run on in BR days?

Anywhere on GWR carrying parcels, milk, general goods, fresh food etc. In this form on Paddington - wherever newspaper runs overnight, mostly bigger places but often up branch lines, or magazines separately or attached to a passenger train.

In service from the early 20th century until the late 1980's

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anywhere on GWR carrying parcels, milk, general goods, fresh food etc. In this form on Paddington - wherever newspaper runs overnight, mostly bigger places but often up branch lines, or magazines separately or attached to a passenger train.

In service from the early 20th century until the late 1980's

It’s a Siphon isn’t it? I think the covered up vents on the upper bodyside threw me.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
That is one heck of a bright paint job!

I quite like the different variations of blue going on in that rake, it feels a lot more prototypical than everything being the same colour.

reddragon

Established Member
Finally my Dapol 59.206 is in action! If you ever buy one and yes they are a bargain retailing at under £130, then DCC fitting is not as easy as it should be. Whilst getting the body off is fine, the space around the chip is limited so needs a small chip and getting the chips on / off is very tricky!

My advice would to be buy as DCC fitted.

1685015414817.png

Runs well though, bit grindy at slow speeds by hopefully running in will resolve that over time.

I still have 5 locos and 10 coaches on order!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Finally my Dapol 59.206 is in action! If you ever buy one and yes they are a bargain retailing at under £130, then DCC fitting is not as easy as it should be. Whilst getting the body off is fine, the space around the chip is limited so needs a small chip and getting the chips on / off is very tricky!

My advice would to be buy as DCC fitted.

View attachment 135931

Runs well though, bit grindy at slow speeds by hopefully running in will resolve that over time.

I still have 5 locos and 10 coaches on order!

Looks the business.

I’ve had issues with noisy running Dapol locos. I think about a third of them seem to make a grinding sound and some of the others started off like that but smoothed out once they were run in.

Never had a problem with Bachmann/Farish…

reddragon

Established Member
My latest arrival is Heljan 45118. Easy chip fitting, tricky to put on the tracks due to all those wobbly wheels. Red light bars inside fall out too when you take the body off.

1687854463146.png

Peter C

Established Member
My latest arrival is Heljan 45118. Easy chip fitting, tricky to put on the tracks due to all those wobbly wheels. Red light bars inside fall out too when you take the body off.

View attachment 138134
Now that looks very nice. In one of the boxes with all my engines in is a Mainline 45, which obviously is nowhere near as detailed as yours but there's just something about the shape and style of these engines I quite like.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Now that looks very nice. In one of the boxes with all my engines in is a Mainline 45, which obviously is nowhere near as detailed as yours but there's just something about the shape and style of these engines I quite like.

-Peter
They were like dinosaurs! I had a Mainline 45, actually very good and equally tricky to put on the tracks. Not suitable for DCC though. GWSR has one, heavy beasts.

reddragon

Established Member
i'd love to see some photos of the whole layout mid-running session
I only have 3 controllers, plus mobiles to drive trains. With help, I could run 8 on the mainline, do shunting and if reopened run 2 on the suburban lines. Alone 3 is my limit.

I have 5 passenger rakes, 2 HSTs, 8 MU trains, 5 freight rakes all of scale length. Running rakes of up to 12 coaches / 23 wagons is not easy as you have to drive them like real trains! A major crash would be very costly.

Maybe I am due some photos!

As an update: -

Steam

This year BR 71000 departed. It was not a reliable runner on DCC and was not up to hauling long rakes. Arrivals have been the LNER 10000 W1 class in Garter blue. Took a while to run in and grounds out on dips if run too slow. My other steam locos have been running well. I have 1 steam loco on order.

Diesel / Electric locos

Departures have been Hattons 66621, Lima 59001 (Lima run down) and Heljan D1000 (unhappy on DCC), plus my Windhoff MPV class 98 (profiteering).
Arrivals have been Accurascale 92032, Heljan 59206 and Heljan 45118.
I have 4 diesels on order.
Running wise, my Hornby GWR HST is being troublesome with poor running, Bachmann class 57 is a poor runner on DCC, so will go, my Hornby class 67 will only run one way
I may sell up to 3 locos this autumn

MUs

My class 416 departed in March as it is just too short for my needs and as the suburban lines are closed.
Arrival was a class 438 to join my class 491 to make an 8-car unit for my class 33/1 to haul.

I might do a harsh review of my MUs this year with up to half going to to various running issues. It will only take a decent new model to appear and then they go.

Coaches

3 coaches have gone this year, a GWR maroon coach to reduce that rake to suit steam haulage and 2 NSE coaches.
Arrivals have been limited to an Accurascale siphon G newspaper van.
Lots of coupling issues going on this year! Long rakes!
I have 10 coaches on order.

Wagons

My odd one out MBA wagon departed as it was a scrap load wagon in a ballast rake.
Plenty of new Dapol HIA wagons have arrived pushing up that rake to 17 of the 21 available, plus 6 MJAs
One IOA wagon needed regauging as it went out of gauge!

Track

I have done no work this year, but jobs are there to do.

My up steam loco depot has problems with points and will need major track works at some point.
My suburban lines are OOU due to track condition and need renewals in

Peter C

Established Member
They were like dinosaurs! I had a Mainline 45, actually very good and equally tricky to put on the tracks. Not suitable for DCC though. GWSR has one, heavy beasts.
Ah yes I forgot there was one at Toddington. I do quite like that one!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
So what has happened over the summer?

Locos -

Bachmann 57.301 departed as I was fed up with its poor DCC running. It was fine on DC but that's no use to me! A tiny profit on ebay.
Heljan D1015 has again suffered a drive shaft failure, but no spares are available. Looks like I need a donor loco!
Dapol 68026 lost a buffer, grrr, why?

I have 2 Accurascale locos due in October :)

MUs

Hornby class 403 3052 also sold on eBay, again due to poor DCC running. I managed to sell this for what I paid for it.
I expect to sell other MUs that no longer meet my expectations if I can recover their cost to me.

Coaches

A Hornby Mk2e coach had a coupling fall off. I cannot get any compatible coupling to fit back on!

Wagons

I have a new rake of wagons from Accurascale, a clue, WR related . . . .

Tracks

I have demolished a chunk of my suburban lines ready for reconstruction works.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So what has happened over the summer?

Locos -

Bachmann 57.301 departed as I was fed up with its poor DCC running. It was fine on DC but that's no use to me! A tiny profit on ebay.
Heljan D1015 has again suffered a drive shaft failure, but no spares are available. Looks like I need a donor loco!
Missing buffers is a very annoying thing. I had to graft a new one onto a 33 this week. Very fiddly!

I have 2 Accurascale locos due in October :)

MUs

Hornby class 403 3052 also sold on eBay, again due to poor DCC running. I managed to sell this for what I paid for it.
I expect to sell other MUs that no longer meet my expectations if I can recover their cost to me.

Coaches

A Hornby Mk2e coach had a coupling fall off. I cannot get any compatible coupling to fit back on!

Wagons

I have a new rake of wagons from Accurascale, a clue, WR related . . . .
China clay related by any chance..?

Tracks

I have demolished a chunk of my suburban lines ready for reconstruction works.
Interesting.

Peter C

Established Member
Lovely updates as always Mr @reddragon. :)

My Dapol 68 - 68010 - had the same problem. It was running around the layout, and then pop, off goes one of the buffers. Fortunately all of the pieces were still together so I could just put it back in (I didn't bother glueing it or anything), and it seemed to work. But then again, all my models have been in boxes for about a year now so I've not seen any of them to remind me of their condition! :lol:

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
China clay related by any chance..?
Maybe . . . I need to takes some pics tomorrow!

##############

next day

My rake of 12 Accurascale CDAs. They are the reason eBay is swamped with Hornby cast offs!

Note the removed suburban lines to allow a new bridge & extra freight sidings

1696510415030.png

1696510478013.png

1696510513783.png

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
The last brick in the wall, my FGW HST rake is complete with coach C the TSD. These are only £29.95 at retailers now, mine from Rails.

1697128275666.png

I have at last completed my Freightliner green HIA set with the arrival of HIAs 369006,12,18,19

1697710962206.png1697711006995.png
1697711037240.png1697711072842.png

I now have the full rake of all 21 models made in Green. These are excellent models and run really well. I have had to remove 6 MJAs from the rake as the siding is too short and the Bachmann class 70 has its limits

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
I'm liking the new modern stuff, and First Dynamic Lines still looks so good and vibrant on that Mk3 :)

I'm glad the Manor has met your expectations. I think Accurascale have an exciting future and the other manufacturers are going to have to step-up their game.

Peter C

Established Member
The last brick in the wall, my FGW HST rake is complete with coach C the TSD. These are only £29.95 at retailers now, mine from Rails.

View attachment 144714

I have at last completed my Freightliner green HIA set with the arrival of HIAs 369006,12,18,19

View attachment 145053View attachment 145054
View attachment 145055View attachment 145056

I now have the full rake of all 21 models made in Green. These are excellent models and run really well. I have had to remove 6 MJAs from the rake as the siding is too short and the Bachmann class 70 has its limits
Seeing that Mk3 reminds me I was planning ages ago to repaint a powercar into FGW Dynamic Lines blue. I might have to give that a go over Christmas! Those Freightliner wagons are superb as well - they're full of detail, aren't they?

Ahhhh, the sound & control on this loco is on another level!

View attachment 145621

Accurascale of course!
Now this is right up my street. I've just been looking at their website and I must say, £170 for a brand-new tooling, DCC ready loco certainly isn't bad considering what other manufacturers are charging at the moment. Have you got a crew fitted in the cab, or is that just the ATC equipment I can see through the window?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Now this is right up my street. I've just been looking at their website and I must say, £170 for a brand-new tooling, DCC ready loco certainly isn't bad considering what other manufacturers are charging at the moment. Have you got a crew fitted in the cab, or is that just the ATC equipment I can see through the window?

-Peter
They are a bargain, DCC Sound for the price of a Hornby / Bachmann loco that's only DCC ready