• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Peter C

Established Member
That's a real shame with the Class 60 @reddragon - I have had similar issues in the past - but that 411 looks lovely, and especially nice when coupled to the other units! Loving the developments. :)

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cossie4i

The second at £185 was a class 411 unit 7134 to compliment my other class 411 unit 7113. The pair are now running with a 4TC making an effective although inaccurate 12 car unit.

Unit 7134

View attachment 123705

Class 411s joined

View attachment 123706
I remember travelling on them when I was young when I lived near Margate.
i just wish a refurbished unit would be produced as I used to drive them when I worked on Southeastern based at Faversham.

reddragon

Established Member
So long since my last update!

So November I sold my Lima 31,60 and my Hornby 466 and bought the class 411 already shown

In December I sold some Lima TEA wagons

In January my new no. 1 loco arrived. Wow it is a good loco, hauls 40+ coaches without an issue and loves to drop & raise its pants

1677685742043.png

Yes an Accurascale Class 92, my second AS loco.

In February I managed to clear my rake of Lima TEA wagons, all gone, last ones are in the post.

As of today Hornby 71000 departed minus DCC chip as did an unexpected departure of my Hattons Class 66 (I wonder why?)

I have a Lima Class 59 and Bachmann Class 416 for sale along with a single Hornby coach, until the next eBay seller discount sale!

I have 2 new locos and 9 coaches due shortly, I guess in April but my sales income will result in some more new orders!!

Peter C

Established Member
I was just wondering the other day where you'd got to @reddragon! Great to hear that things are still going on. Accurascale really do seem to know what they're doing, don't they? That Class 92 sounds (and looks!) absolutely amazing. I saw a video of one raising and lowering its pantographs the other day and blimey it's clever how these boffins do it. I'm thinking it's all a plan - as soon as I stop paying attention they all make these lovely models!

-Peter :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What a lovely looking model even with its pants up. ;)

reddragon

Established Member
What a lovely looking model even with its pants up. ;)
haha, I should post a picture with her pants down on DC 3rd rail :D

I have sold my class 416 and GWR coach and will list some more stuff soon to make space for my new arrivals!

Iskra

Established Member
Looks excellent, thanks for the update. I'm also awaiting plenty of Accurascale stuff :D

Iskra

Established Member
Accurascale are the best manufacturers around. I have 2 of their locos and 12 wagons.
I’ve got a class 37 of there’s on order, I’m waiting to see how that turns out before ordering another loco but I would like a 66 or less likely a 50.

Their CS MK5’s are amazing though and I also have another 10 Mk2’s on order from them.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve got a class 37 of there’s on order, I’m waiting to see how that turns out before ordering another loco but I would like a 66 or less likely a 50.

Their CS MK5’s are amazing though and I also have another 10 Mk2’s on order from them.

Their stuff looks phenomenal I must say.

reddragon

Established Member
My class 92 with her pants down

1678568497314.png

and a newly arrived HIA making a rake of 19 HIA/MJA wagons in Freightliner Green

1678568551685.png

The Bachmann class 70 is reaching it's haulage limits. Still 8 HIAs to get and they're heavy.

I moved my AS class 92 to the Container wagons due to it's weight following the departure of the Hattons 66, my Dapol 68 moved to the AS HYA wagons and my EFE 58 to the Network Rail track wagons.

I have some failures at the moment.

My Heljan D1015 seems to have a driveshaft failure - need to check
My Lima D1016 is dead, I guess cable come loose
Mainline 56084 is being tricky as is Bachmann 57301
My Hornby 67027 is only running in one direction
My Bachmann Windhoff is also playing dead too!

Typical winter loco failures!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 130724

and a newly arrived HIA making a rake of 19 HIA/MJA wagons in Freightliner Green

View attachment 130725

The Bachmann class 70 is reaching it's haulage limits. Still 8 HIAs to get and they're heavy.

I moved my AS class 92 to the Container wagons due to it's weight following the departure of the Hattons 66, my Dapol 68 moved to the AS HYA wagons and my EFE 58 to the Network Rail track wagons.

Did you ever get the loft insulated in the end? We’ve found that stuff runs very differently depending on temperatures and humidity etc.

That 92 looks fantastic.

Established Member

View attachment 130724

View attachment 130725

That 92 looks lovely. Tempted by one of the 37's or 66's when they come along.

reddragon

Established Member
Did you ever get the loft insulated in the end? We’ve found that stuff runs very differently depending on temperatures and humidity etc.

That 92 looks fantastic.
It is mostly insulated & I added roof windows. In the summer it doesn't get hotter than outside and in the winter it's cold but a lot warmer than outside.

## updates ##

My Heljan D1015 seems to have a driveshaft failure - one end has failed
My Lima D1016 is dead, I guess cable come loose - Fixed
Mainline 56084 is being tricky as is Bachmann 57301 - 56084 cleaned & fine
My Hornby 67027 is only running in one direction - TBC
My Bachmann Windhoff is also playing dead too! - OK runs on DC, I can programme the chip, but no action in DCC

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This the problem with large fleets. It can become quite a lot to keep on top of.
I think I’ve got about ten locomotives and a DMU and even that can be challenging if things start to go wrong. I’m currently waiting for my 37 to go kaput because sometimes it plays up for no apparent reason.

reddragon

Established Member
This the problem with large fleets. It can become quite a lot to keep on top of.
I think I’ve got about ten locomotives and a DMU and even that can be challenging if things start to go wrong. I’m currently waiting for my 37 to go kaput because sometimes it plays up for no apparent reason.
On the other hand (I used to have 70 older locos) there's always plenty running well in service. Old Lima locos are such solid reliable locos and ringfield Hornby repairable. These new locos are a pain!

Anyways, my Lima 59001 sold tonight so down to 3 Lima. Only their huge couplings really go against them!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On the other hand (I used to have 70 older locos) there's always plenty running well in service. Old Lima locos are such solid reliable locos and ringfield Hornby repairable. These new locos are a pain!

Anyways, my Lima 59001 sold tonight so down to 3 Lima. Only their huge couplings really go against them!

Can you still get the brushes and springs for the old Hornby and Lima motors?

reddragon

Established Member
Can you still get the brushes and springs for the old Hornby and Lima motors?
Yes spares are plentiful, you have more of an issue with newer locos. Remember that old stuff had standard motors & wheels.

I even got new replacement gears for my Mainline Warship. Added extra weight to that today as the trains were getting too heavy for it!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes spares are plentiful, you have more of an issue with newer locos. Remember that old stuff had standard motors & wheels.

I even got new replacement gears for my Mainline Warship. Added extra weight to that today as the trains were getting too heavy for it!

I reckon a garden railway just using old but detailed Lima/Hornby and Mainline stuff would be quite a nice project to do. A lot of it can still look good, it’s cheap to buy and it’s robust too.

reddragon

Established Member
I reckon a garden railway just using old but detailed Lima/Hornby and Mainline stuff would be quite a nice project to do. A lot of it can still look good, it’s cheap to buy and it’s robust too.
Mainline locos are bags of nails, super snowflakey and give up at any challenge! The 2 I have are on low mileage use so they don't run out of miles. A bit like the end for PEP units!

###################

Today a late Xmas present arrived in the form of a Bachmann class 438 unit 8022 to join my class 491 unit 404

1679587476752.png

I also have another new loco still in it's box, pics tomorrow!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh now that is rather nice. I like the yellow glow of the interior lighting.

reddragon

Established Member
Mmmm Chocolate. Finally down to a good price. Colletts are a good model shop!

1679828542324.png

################### UPDATE ################

Another batch of HIAs arrived today. I now have 16/21 of those available. Really good wagons, typically £25 each

1680269742452.png1680269771442.png1680269795517.png

On eBay I have 2 Bachmann NSE coaches listed, as I'm switching to AS versions, plus a MBA wagon and my Bachmann MPV Windhoff.

I am again having a review of my stock and selling what doesn't work for me anymore. With wagon rakes typically 12-22 wagons, and coaches 8-10 coaches, some locos really don't cut it!

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
2 more arrivals

HIA 369002

1682089630726.png

And awaiting DCC fitting - Dapol 59206

1682089664214.png

Heljan D1015 is now away for repairs to it's drive shaft.