• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Apprenticeships

Status
Not open for further replies.

desirokma

Ah ok lol. Even better. I've applied at rugby lol how about you?

Hahaha did all for tests before lunch then job info and admin last
I think your and mine group joined up in the job info talk lol
I am the blonde girl in the pinstripe trouser suit who was in the navy lol

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

t o m

Ahh yes, I know who you are now. I think you also had a red jacket and were sitting on the front row during the job info talk? I didn't get to speak to you, although I couldn't help but over hear! lol.

I've applied for Leicester

desirokma

That was me lol (pink coat hehehe)
:o was I really that loud. Ooops lol oh well.
No I never got to speak to you either lol
Were abouts are you from?

Ah ok cool lol

Established Member
Does anyone know who the company is that manage Network Rails General IT Support? I believe they outsourced it sometime ago.

quak_C

Hey guys ive been lurking for a while and have found all the information really helpful

I went to the assessment day in scotland and I got through to the interview stage there was 80 people invited and only 60 came so im hoping ive got a good chance :)

also hedpe I didnt finish the mechanical comprehension test and found it pretty difficult but still got through to the interview so dont worry too much about the tests

Dan_225

Hello everyone, been interesting reading all the info on your experiences at the assessment days.

I'm from Scotland and have been invited to the Manchester assessment day, feeling confident but nervous at the same time!

quak_C:

Where abouts in Scotland was your assessment? Also what location did you select to be based at? Cheers :)

hedpe

Not really worried about the mechanical comprehension crapola. Been revising mainly maths but from what ive read, its easier than expected.

t o m

That was me lol (pink coat hehehe)
:o was I really that loud. Ooops lol oh well.
No I never got to speak to you either lol
Were abouts are you from?

I live in Market Harborough, it's about 15 miles south of Leicester. I see you are from Great Barr, wouldn't that be quite a commute to Rugby everyday?

Dan_225 said:
I'm from Scotland and have been invited to the Manchester assessment day

That's a long way to go, hope you pass!

Last edited:

Kelsey

I'm hopefully going into signalling and track as my second option? What about you?

ive picked e+p, ohl and telecoms i think lol... I put down rugby but also london euston.. Steph phoned me and said it looks like ill be goin to euston :D let me know what day your interview is :) x

t o m

Wow and you came all the way to cov. :)
I am indeed :) its about an hour from mine but I drive so makes it easier lol

It's about 40 miles from my house to Westwood, so it wouldn't have been too bad. Like I said in an earlier post, I stayed in a B&B down the road for the assessment day as I came by train and even if I got the first train in the morning I wouldn't have got to Westwood until about 09.15. I'd never been to Coventry so it was good having a look around the day before, I went to the transport museum ;)

I could have driven but my car is 43 years old so I didn't want to take the risk! If I get the job I'd try and get the train as much as possible as it's only 10 minutes to Leicester from where I live and we can get discounted season tickets but I suppose it depends on what shifts I'd be doing and the train times.

Rugby is actually about 20 miles from me so we might be working quite near each other!

Last edited:

quak_C

Hello everyone, been interesting reading all the info on your experiences at the assessment days.

I'm from Scotland and have been invited to the Manchester assessment day, feeling confident but nervous at the same time!

quak_C:

Where abouts in Scotland was your assessment? Also what location did you select to be based at? Cheers :)

I went to Larbert just outside falkirk and I have applied to Irvine for signal, track and then telecomms even though they dont have that a irvine but i thought it was worth putting down a 3rd incase

theres only 20 places in scotland which isnt that many :/

Last edited:

desirokma

Kelsey

oh ok cool lol. I put down rugby so that will be my destination lol

Yeah deffo will same to you. Let me know

Xx

T o m

Right ok lol sounds like you had it all planned out :)
I just caught the train from new street lol and arrived like an hour early lmao.
Hey that would be cool lol

Barneyre

Prepare well for your interview. It's with those people you will work for on a day to day basis, and they have to feel you'll bring a positive bearing to the depot.

Hydro have read a lot of your posts and you are very helpfull. I have got an assessment day coming up and have been serving in the army for the past nine years. It says that you must visit embassys of any country you have lived in over the past 5 years. Do you think that would apply to someone like myself or would a cover letter from the army be enough. Thanks.

erolosman

im from east london, i applied too london euston for electrification and plant, signalling and track second choice. did u lot put more then one place to apply for because they wouldnt let me lol i would of choose atleast 4 places. still waiting for them to tell me my interview date, when i applied i set my depot as barking, anyone else put that? might see ya at the interviews :P

Dan_225

That's a long way to go, hope you pass!

Thanks :D I know! Why send me down there eh? NR have paid for my rail fare and hotel, so can't complain.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I went to Larbert just outside falkirk and I have applied to Irvine for signal, track and then telecomms even though they dont have that a irvine but i thought it was worth putting down a 3rd incase

theres only 20 places in scotland which isnt that many :/

Thats crazy, I stay in Stirling, really mad sending me down there! How did the tests go? I'm a bit nervous about Fault Finding :|
Nine more days to go:D:D Cannot wait! Is anyone else here attending Manchester on the 7th?

Me!:D

quak_C

Thats crazy, I stay in Stirling, really mad sending me down there! How did the tests go? I'm a bit nervous about Fault Finding :|

The fault finding is not to bad thats the kinda stuff im good at but so I its like switch a closes this port and so on then shows you the input of the ports a sequence and then the output of the ports and you have to determin which switches are broken

dont stress about it :)

Kelsey

im from east london, i applied too london euston for electrification and plant, signalling and track second choice. did u lot put more then one place to apply for because they wouldnt let me lol i would of choose atleast 4 places. still waiting for them to tell me my interview date, when i applied i set my depot as barking, anyone else put that? might see ya at the interviews :P

i applied for rugby then had a phone call sayin there wasnt many vacancies at rugby so i had to pick somewhere else... So i picked euston and victoria :) i got told we'll find out mid-april when the interview date is

erolosman

i applied for rugby then had a phone call sayin there wasnt many vacancies at rugby so i had to pick somewhere else... So i picked euston and victoria :) i got told we'll find out mid-april when the interview date is

ahhh, well if we both get into the scheme looks like we could be working in the same team :). eh i cant believe how much i want this job, i think my friends r getting fed up with me going on about it lol

quak_C

ahhh, well if we both get into the scheme looks like we could be working in the same team :). eh i cant believe how much i want this job, i think my friends r getting fed up with me going on about it lol

i know how you feel i talk about it all the time aswell

hedpe

Ok so i understand im supposed to bring photocopies + originals of my GCSE certificates. Lo and behold, my English GCSE certificate is missing - just got a sheet of paper from the exam body with my name, grade and a few other details. i failed it originally and retook it the following year. Im struggling to obtain a copy and i dont think i will get one in time for friday, is it likely there will be problems? Ive emailed them just in case, dont want them to think i am lying :(

Crossforth

Established Member
Ok so i understand im supposed to bring photocopies + originals of my GCSE certificates. Lo and behold, my English GCSE certificate is missing - just got a sheet of paper from the exam body with my name, grade and a few other details. i failed it originally and retook it the following year. Im struggling to obtain a copy and i dont think i will get one in time for friday, is it likely there will be problems? Ive emailed them just in case, dont want them to think i am lying :(

Don't worry, I didn't have my exam certificates either, I just took in the piece of paper issued by the exam board with my results on. I didn't have my English results either as I forgot they weren't with my other results so they said bring them to the interview day which, low and behold, I have an interview.

Hydro

Established Member
Hydro have read a lot of your posts and you are very helpfull. I have got an assessment day coming up and have been serving in the army for the past nine years. It says that you must visit embassys of any country you have lived in over the past 5 years. Do you think that would apply to someone like myself or would a cover letter from the army be enough. Thanks.

I honestly don't know. I would say that any documentation from the Army saying you served overseas would be enough, as you were working abroad in an official capacity for HMG, rather than just living and working abroad off your own back.
Don't worry, I didn't have my exam certificates either, I just took in the piece of paper issued by the exam board with my results on. I didn't have my English results either as I forgot they weren't with my other results so they said bring them to the interview day which, low and behold, I have an interview.

A word of warning here, If you are successful, you will need to have all your original certs take to Sultan with you. I only had the results slips, and I had to pay a not inconsiderate sum to have the certificates reissued.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
A word of warning here, If you are successful, you will need to have all your original certs take to Sultan with you. I only had the results slips, and I had to pay a not inconsiderate sum to have the certificates reissued.

Which you can only do once, if possible, but I was told they do not issue replacements now.

Dan_225

The fault finding is not to bad thats the kinda stuff im good at but so I its like switch a closes this port and so on then shows you the input of the ports a sequence and then the output of the ports and you have to determin which switches are broken

dont stress about it :)

Thanks for your reply, I've had a look at the type of things you mention, will keep practising it until I'm confident.

Cheers!

Hydro

Established Member
I don't know. If what Ralph says is correct and exam boards have stopped reissuing them, then I hope NR have dropped the requirement for the original certificates. Things may have changed, bear in mind I did all of this nearly four years ago now.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I don't know. If what Ralph says is correct and exam boards have stopped reissuing them, then I hope NR have dropped the requirement for the original certificates. Things may have changed, bear in mind I did all of this nearly four years ago now.

It appears (according to Edexcel) that they do, but I was told when I got mine that they don't reissue.
People should keep them safe though, they're very valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.