• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New CAF and Bombardier stock for West Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hill Bank

Just to confirm the DMU vehicle count now and future:-

139 2 - 2
150/1 6 - 0
153 8 - 0
170/5 34 - 0
170/6 18 - 0
172/0 0 - 16
172/2 24 - 24
172/3 45 - 45
230 0 - 6
New 0 - 80
Total 137 - 173

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I think most franchises which have significant DMU usage are either getting new stock or are likely to when their franchise is renewed within the next 3 years?

EMT and W&B will probably both need ASAP options e.g. DMUs released by Anglia and TPE , rather than going through procurement options.

The LM 170s might end up being the additional '170s or equivalents' mentioned in the Northern franchise agreement, which would seem very illogical if LM get 195s identical to Northern's.

D365

Veteran Member
Six 230s?

Brain fade.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
If they're a direct replacement for the 323s then those are already 23m I believe so it would make sense.

6 cars wouldn't fit on some stations if they were any longer!

Good points, so does this mean either platform extensions/SDO or the 3 cars having a different carriage length to the 5 cars?

dp21

Good points, so does this mean either platform extensions/SDO or the 3 cars having a different carriage length to the 5 cars?

Good question but going from previous examples my guess would be platform extensions/SDO if required over shortening the coach lengths. It would make less financial sense essentially designing two completely different trains.

Likely config will be driving coach - trailer coach - pan coach - trailer coach - driving coach for the 5 cars, then just remove the two trailers for the 3 cars.

However, with distributed traction etc there could well be a few motors on the trailers but that'll all emerge in time.

Equally, I could be WAY wide of the mark but this is just my guess :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Pretty much as I expected - the Civity seems to be the only viable DMU product on offer to UK gauges at the moment and the Aventra is a logical follow-on for a similar requirement in the East Anglian franchise.

Hopefully they turn out to be a decent DMU and not something massively underpowered it will make a 170 seem fast.

I can probably see Chiltern doing a deal to swap their 4x 172/1s for 4x 170/5s to give all the 172s to "LM", with the extra 170s changed to be 168s to give a more uniform fleet.

D365

Veteran Member

The latter is likely true - the Class 720 subfleets have different carriage lengths I recall.

Never mind - I did initially suspect this to be false :oops:

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Good question but going from previous examples my guess would be platform extensions/SDO if required over shortening the coach lengths. It would make less financial sense essentially designing two completely different trains.

Likely config will be driving coach - trailer coach - pan coach - trailer coach - driving coach for the 5 cars, then just remove the two trailers for the 3 cars.

However, with distributed traction etc there could well be a few motors on the trailers but that'll all emerge in time.

Equally, I could be WAY wide of the mark but this is just my guess :)

Completely wide of the mark as Aventra is very distributed traction! The Anglia 5 car design has an Unmotored Driving Car then 3 intermediate motored trailers and a motored Driving car. [DTSLW - MS3 - MS2 - PMS - DMS1]

One of the key design features of Aventra is large integrated power supply boxes containing the traction motor controllers for up to 6 traction motors (usually 4) as well as the auxiliary AC supplies at 415V and 110V and DC supply at 24V. Hence there will often be 2 motor bogies on adjacent vehicles or 3 spread over 2 vehicles. The Pantograph cars have always had 1 motor bogie on every design so far (under the pan and the transformer is at the other end of the car). The leading bogie at each end of Bombardier units is unmotored.
Crossrail 345: 2-Bo + Bo-2 + Bo-Bo + Bo-2 + 2-2 + 2-Bo + Bo-Bo + 2-Bo + Bo-2
LO 710: 2-Bo + Bo-2 + 2-Bo + Bo-2
Anglia 720 5 car 2-2 + 2-Bo + Bo-Bo + 2-Bo + Bo-2
Anglia 720 10 car 2-2 + 2-Bo + Bo-Bo + 2-Bo + Bo-2 + 2-2 + 2-Bo + Bo-Bo + 2-Bo + Bo-2

hwl

Established Member
The latter is likely true - the Class 720 subfleets have different carriage lengths I recall.
No they don't all 24.x metres, the different lengths things was initial misinformation.
Driving cars - 24.47m
intermediate - 24.21m

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
At Greater Anglia a mix of SDO or platform extension depending on circumstances (easy of extension and station usage)

centraltrains

I'm just not sure how you've come to the conclusion that there will be no spare? The rest of the concerns seemed to follow on from this
Because at the moment it already feels like there are never spear units put on when a problem is, I suppose that in reality it isn't announced when a spear is used elsewhere. To me 15 3-car 172s and 12 2-car 172s seems a small number. I don't really know how many diagrams there are so I'm just making assumptions. In my head, the number seems low and just doesn't feel like its the right number, but with no actual calculations made to show that.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

samuelmorris

Established Member
As far as I can tell it seems clear that the 3-car Aventras will replace the 323s, but unlike the 150s/153s/170s I haven't seen it written anywhere explicitly that all the 323s are to be withdrawn. Has that been verified?

the sniper

Established Member
But you would just get a shortened 24m with 1 fewer window per side and 1m extra of Aluminium and internal cladding to stare at as the windows are a standard size. You would also end up paying for a lot of redesign costs so easier to go for one of the standard options as the width is also length dependent. 24m makes far more sense than 23m for the London commuter routes as most are orientated around 240m trains not 230m ones (i.e. 240 = 12x 20m). 22m and 20m make lots of sense for 200m e.g. Crossrail, SWR metro and Southern Metro, 22m for single units and 20m if splitting in the middle. And 20m makes sense for 160m e.g. LO West Anglia and SE' s LCDR routes.

What solution are they going with for Bournville then? An inconvenient use of SDO for the sake of a few metres or do they think they can just about get away with it as is? If it's the latter, if it's possible at all, it'll be damn tight... I don't know that it'd even be workable in leaf fall, even with new super-duper WSP?

I wonder when the embargo is that has presumably killed that article?

Last edited:

Established Member
Railway Magazine has announced an order of new trains for the Midlands this morning.

Diesels will be built by CAF, I imagine this is something to replace some 150s and 153s on Hereford services?

Bombardier to build a lot of new trains to replace the 319s, top ups to the 350 fleet and also for the Chase Line.

I looked through the forum and can't see anything related to this so apologies if this is elsewhere.

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I think the linked thread needs re-naming to similar to this one. It is a little confusing having one thread just named “west Midlands stock” and not “CAF and Bombardier announce new train order for the Midlands”

Domh245

Established Member
De-Embargoed seemingly. This article from Railway Gazzette includes a render of the CAF DMUs (also Gangwayed) and the fact that 5 car Aventras will be split between outer suburban (29 units) and longer distance layouts (16 units).

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Sorry to interrupt, can I suggest a thread rename? “West Midlands stock” doesn’t really explain the topic of the thread. I suggest “CAF and Bombardier announce new train order for the West Midlands franchise”?

hwl

Established Member
What solution are they going with for Bournville then? An inconvenient use of SDO for the sake of a few metres or do they think they can just about get away with it as is? If it's the latter, if it's possible at all, it'll be damn tight... I don't know that it'd even be workable in leaf fall, even with new super-duper WSP?

SDO can be done per set of doors if balises are used (e.g. Hima-Sella Tracklink3) and also deal with unpredictable stopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.