• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New conductor positions ATW next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS.CYMRU

Congratulations!
I had mine on a Tuesday and also found out the Wednesday.

The assessment day was exactly a week later then on the following Wednesday

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sheridan

No, I was told we should hear on Monday. If nothing by the end of the day I'll probably enquiry in the morning.

LRV3004

No, I was told we should hear on Monday. If nothing by the end of the day I'll probably enquiry in the morning.
Next Monday is the 12th, and the assessment stage is on the 13th/14th. Can't see them giving the successful applicants one day's notice in case time needs to be arranged to take the day off work and/or get childcare sorted.......unless they're doing assessments on different days depending on which depot you've applied for of course!

Sheridan

Next Monday is the 12th, and the assessment stage is on the 13th/14th. Can't see them giving the successful applicants one day's notice in case time needs to be arranged to take the day off work and/or get childcare sorted.......unless they're doing assessments on different days depending on which depot you've applied for of course!

Sorry, I meant the Monday of this week i.e. yesterday!

LRV3004

Sorry, I meant the Monday of this week i.e. yesterday!
Ah, apologies Sheridan, I was wondering if you did mean from yesterday! :) The lady who did mg telephone interview said about a week; I had mine last Wednesday so hopefully should hear something by Wednesday! :)

LRV3004

Congratulations which depot have you applied for?
Thank you! Have applied for Crewe as it's the closest to where I live (Manchester). Bit apprehensive as the assessment stage is always where I fall down. This will be the fourth time I've attended one of these events!

Spikeylado

Thank you! Have applied for Crewe as it's the closest to where I live (Manchester). Bit apprehensive as the assessment stage is always where I fall down. This will be the fourth time I've attended one of these events!
Hi,
I'm a gaurd at Crewe, if it's any consolation it took me 15 attempts to get on the railway! What part do you actually struggle with?

LRV3004

Hi,
I'm a gaurd at Crewe, if it's any consolation it took me 15 attempts to get on the railway! What part do you actually struggle with?
I have been knocked back 22 times for various railway roles within the past two years! I don't feel I am struggling with any part of the assessment events, maybe I'm just not quite hitting the required standard in the exercises or interview. Unfortunately I've never received feedback so I am unable to pinpoint where I'm going wrong!

Spikeylado

I have been knocked back 22 times for various railway roles within the past two years! I don't feel I am struggling with any part of the assessment events, maybe I'm just not quite hitting the required standard in the exercises or interview. Unfortunately I've never received feedback so I am unable to pinpoint where I'm going wrong!
Well that makes my 15 times look small!

Spikeylado

Thankfully the only time i got to the interview i was really prepared and did very well! Having spoke to the manager who interviewed me after I was in post he said it is incredibly hard to get a job! Maybe this could be your time as they are looking to fill the talent pool! Good luck I know how you must be feeling!
What do you do atm?

Last edited:

LRV3004

I would be thrilled to bits to make the talent pool! I'll prepare for the interview as best as I can! I currently work as a Light Rail Vehicle (tram basically) Driver for Metrolink. Currently been there for four and a half years. I do enjoy it thoroughly, but my ambition is to secure a traincrew role on the big railway! :)

Spikeylado

I would be thrilled to bits to make the talent pool! I'll prepare for the interview as best as I can! I currently work as a Light Rail Vehicle (tram basically) Driver for Metrolink. Currently been there for four and a half years. I do enjoy it thoroughly, but my ambition is to secure a traincrew role on the big railway! :)
Well stick with it and give it your best shot! Make sure you research the company thoroughly for you interview!
Good luck!

LRV3004

Well stick with it and give it your best shot! Make sure you research the company thoroughly for you interview!
Good luck!
Even the lady who did my telephone interview said I was determined from looking at all my previous application attempts to join ATW! Am going to do more research just like I did for my telephone interview! Can also brush up on the train journey there, and before the start of the assessment event as I'll be there just under an hour before it starts; the next train gets me there 8 minutes after I need to be!

Spikeylado

Even the lady who did my telephone interview said I was determined from looking at all my previous application attempts to join ATW! Am going to do more research just like I did for my telephone interview! Can also brush up on the train journey there, and before the start of the assessment event as I'll be there just under an hour before it starts; the next train gets me there 8 minutes after I need to be!
I did that and I also went on the Google/You tube and looked for predicted questions for a conductor role. That really worked I've never been more prepared for an interview and it paid off! With the group discussion just remember to make valid constructive comments, while also listening to other people's ideas and taking them on board. I hope this is your time mate!

LRV3004

I did that and I also went on the Google/You tube and looked for predicted questions for a conductor role. That really worked I've never been more prepared for an interview and it paid off! With the group discussion just remember to make valid constructive comments, while also listening to other people's ideas and taking them on board. I hope this is your time mate!
Cheers, that's all extremely good advice! Am trying to remember all the questions I was asked at the interview last time!!! I think the group exercise is potentially a stumbling block; it's finding that balance between not saying enough and going on too much that no one else gets a word in!

Spikeylado

Cheers, that's all extremely good advice! Am trying to remember all the questions I was asked at the interview last time!!! I think the group exercise is potentially a stumbling block; it's finding that balance between not saying enough and going on too much that no one else gets a word in!
Yea tbh your assessed from the moment you walk through the door! With the discussion use words like "proactive" and "take ownership of the problem that they give you. As a conductor they like to see you can listen evaluate a situation and be open to ideas but at the same time be positive. There will always be someone overpowering who wants to take control you don't have to be that person to get through!

LRV3004

Yea tbh your assessed from the moment you walk through the door! With the discussion use words like "proactive" and "take ownership of the problem that they give you. As a conductor they like to see you can listen evaluate a situation and be open to ideas but at the same time be positive. There will always be someone overpowering who wants to take control you don't have to be that person to get through!
Thanks again, this is all literary gold! Would you object to me sending you a PM if I have any further questions? :)

Lynette Hill

Well done and good luck with your assessment. I would suggest that in the group situation you try to be first in suggesting that you or someone times the exercise and ask if anyone wants to write on the board/give feedback. I managed to get both these suggestions in at the start and I found I had a few 'personalities' who were louder than me so I struggled to get my own point across but doing these things at the beginning get you noticed by the assessors.

Emmsie

Its pretty much the same as aircrew. You need to show that you can work collaboratively with people which means speaking up but including other people in the discussion and listening to their views. If you notice someone not really participating try to bring them into the discussion once. Also when you arrive don't go off and stand on your own, go over to a table with people and say hi. Also this may not apply but if you have a drink do not leave your cup on the table and walk away leaving someone else to clean up although that may be more a British Airways thing.

LRV3004

Got an e-mail earlier.......I've made the talent pool! :) Just hope something comes up within the next two years now! :)

Spikeylado

Great news congratulations, I'm sure it will happen, you have done the hard work it gets frustrating now but stick with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.