• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New GWR Trainee Driver Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kev.

Hi Peeps, Well excited. Just recieved an email from GWR and I've passed my DMI and I'm now in the talent pool for Trainee Driver.

Good luck to everyone else in the application process and I'm looking forward to meeting up with you on the course.

beany

Excellent news Kev,well done.you must be buzzing !
Keep us posted when you get more info on next steps.

Kev.

Excellent news Kev,well done.you must be buzzing !
Keep us posted when you get more info on next steps.

beany buzzing is an understatment mate. Its like all my christmases have come at once. I'm off out later to celebrate with a nice big slap up meal with my good lady.

beany

Ive made it guys.
Had my DMI just over a week ago and got the mail this morning saying im successful and in the talent pool.What a Christmas present and really exciting times.
I really think without this forum i wouldn't of made it because the info and help on here is essential.Well i definitely wouldn't of because it was on here i saw the job vacancy.
So many thanks and good luck to other potential trainees.
A question i should of asked at DMI is....where is the training centre ?,does each depot have their own classroom for trainees ? Will we get the staff travel pass when training starts ?

tlionhart

I really think without this forum i wouldn't of made it because the info and help on here is essential.Well i definitely wouldn't of because it was on here i saw the job vacancy.
A question i should of asked at DMI is....where is the training centre ?,does each depot have their own classroom for trainees ? Will we get the staff travel pass when training starts ?

Congratulations Beany! You should hopefully be starting in the new year/Spring.

To answer your questions;

• you'll be on LTV east, so the depots covered are Paddington, Reading and Oxford. Training takes place at Reading development centre. (You'll have to travel every day from Padd to Reading, however your booking on/off point is at Paddington.
• Other training locations are St.Phillips Marsh, Bristol. Again your booking on and off will be Paddington. It depends on what the Training Managers are up to. Some LTV courses have been there for 75% of their training term, others just there for the PTS, Evactuaion. All this will be sent to you in your joining instructions, along with a months schedule.
• you do get a residential pass. (From day one gives you free travel both for work and leisure on the GWR network). After 3 months (depends on your TOC) you'll get a PRIV card that gives you 75% off other TOCS. You can only use this for leisure travel. You can apply for a 75% discounted season ticket on other TOCS from day one.

Kev.

Ive made it guys.
Had my DMI just over a week ago and got the mail this morning saying im successful and in the talent pool.What a Christmas present and really exciting times.

beany a massive congratulations to you mate and a big welcome to the talent pool. Like you I still have to keep pinching myself to believe we have actually succeeded in getting this far. Very exciting times ahead.

tel1969

Well done Kev & Beany. I'll be joining you guys as well - got my email today! What a fantastic Christmas present!

Kev.

Congratulations Beany! You should hopefully be starting in the new year/Spring.

To answer your questions;

• you'll be on LTV east, so the depots covered are Paddington, Reading and Oxford. Training takes place at Reading development centre. (You'll have to travel every day from Padd to Reading, however your booking on/off point is at Paddington.
• Other training locations are St.Phillips Marsh, Bristol. Again your booking on and off will be Paddington. It depends on what the Training Managers are up to. Some LTV courses have been there for 75% of their training term, others just there for the PTS, Evactuaion. All this will be sent to you in your joining instructions, along with a months schedule.
• you do get a residential pass. (From day one gives you free travel both for work and leisure on the GWR network). After 3 months (depends on your TOC) you'll get a PRIV card that gives you 75% off other TOCS. You can only use this for leisure travel. You can apply for a 75% discounted season ticket on other TOCS from day one.

Hi tlionhart,

Thanks for all the information above you have so kindly given. I have a few questions regarding your above if you would be so kind as to answer them for me/us I'd be grateful.

Firstly are you in the Talent pool aswell? And you stated that we should be starting in the New year/Spring, if this is correct it as got me even more excited, as i thought we would be waiting a lot longer that that. Is this just a guess of this start date or do you have knowledge of this?

Secondly you stated that trainging takes place at Reading development centre (You'll have to travel every day from Padd to Reading, however your booking on/off point is at Paddington). Why is this? The reason I'm asking is because I am relocating and would like to be based as close has I can to work/Training?

I look forward to your reply.

Regards.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well done Kev & Beany. I'll be joining you guys as well - got my email today! What a fantastic Christmas present!

Massive congratulations to you aswell tel1969. Hopefully we'll meet up on the course.

Well done all of you!

My application has stalled again. Anyone had an MMI with Oxford/reading in the last 2 months?

Kev.

Well done all of you!

My application has stalled again. Anyone had an MMI with Oxford/reading in the last 2 months?

Hi General_miller, I had my MMI elsewhere mate so sorry cant help you on that one. But regarding your application, maybe you should drop them a quick email to find out what's happening. nI my experience they are only too pleased to help if they can. Good luck with everything and hope to see you soon on here telling us all that you have passed.

Thanks Kev. I did send an email last week and got the auto email back saying they will reply in 72 hours, but that was 7 days ago now.

I'm so jealous of you all haha :)

jimbojones

Congrats to all those who have made it so far. I passed the DMI.... so I'm over the moon.... can't wait ....

Took me a year .... so please don't give up if your still trying....

Does anyone have any further info on the training process ... and drivers shift pattern/rota..... they said it was a 4 day week..... any info actually would be appreciated... thanks in advance

And merry xmas...

Kev.

Congrats to all those who have made it so far. I passed the DMI.... so I'm over the moon.... can't wait ....

Took me a year .... so please don't give up if your still trying....

Does anyone have any further info on the training process ... and drivers shift pattern/rota..... they said it was a 4 day week..... any info actually would be appreciated... thanks in advance.
And merry xmas...

jimbojones a massive congratulations to you aswell mate and welcome aboard the talent pool.

Sorry I can't help with any of the rota information, but i'd be interested as well if anyone can answer your queries.

Merry Christimas everyone

KOA

Congrats to everyone who has passed their MMI and DMI. You guy must be ecstatic.

I passed the Assessment stage in November and just waiting for date for MMI which is frustrating but spoke to someone this week who says they haven't got any info of when it will be but will notify me when it does happen. So just have to be patient I guess.

Did anyone who passed their MMI and DMI put down Paddington as their depot? Are the same 6 questions asked at MMI? Any tips for MMI or DMI when I eventually have mine?

Merry Christmas all.

beany

Hi KOA,well the questions I had were very similar to the ones posted earlier in thread,not exactly though.name your biggest achievement I think was one.
Do try to answer in the star method,the invite email explains that.
I wasn't good in that aspect,tending to waffle,was told to read up on that for the Dmi but that I found to be more conversational.
The Dmi did ask some questions similar to those asked in mmi.
Make sure you do a little research on company and what routes run out of your depot.
Good luck and hope you get the mmi invite soon.
I can imagine how frustrating it must feel knowing others have already been interviewed and accepted.
Stay positive remember you have passed the assessments.

KOA

Hi Beany

Thanks for the info and the vote of confidence. I do have the questions they hopefully will ask and I have been preparing for them but didn't want any huge surprises hence why I asked. I'm pleased for those who have made it as I know how long the process takes so not too frustrated as your right that I've passed the assessments so it's just a waiting game now. Good luck to you Beany and all those who have got through. If possible could you keep us updated of when you actually start as to what it's like.

Have a great start to the new year.

Kev.

My medical is in a couple of weeks with a start date of 13th Mar.
Soooooooooooo excited

I feel so privileged #dreamjob

Anyone else pencilled in for the same course?

Kev.

@Kev, where are you guys training at?

Gekko that's a very good question mate and one I've asked HR today and received a vague answer that it's likely to be in Reading and Oxford. So I'm looking for somewhere to live between the two. But to be honest at the moment I'm so excited to of been given a medical and start date.

tel1969

Still waiting here. I'm in the talent pool for Paddington, hopefully will hear something soon about dates. Fingers crossed

Kev.

Fingers crossed for all those who are still waiting that you all get start dates soon.

Gekko I have a recollection that you have mentioned that your start date is also 13th Mar, but are you not joining southeastern?

Do different Toc's train drivers together or is it just a coincedence that we both have the same start date?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Are there any readers or lurkers starting on Mar 13th for GWR?

Gekko5154

That's correct @Kev, I start on the 13th with Southeastern and i belive training will take place at either Orpington or Ashford.

Kev.

That's correct @Kev, I start on the 13th with Southeastern and i belive training will take place at either Orpington or Ashford.

I've been informed that my training will probably be in either Oxford or Reading, but as of yet they are not too sure.

Would be nice to find out soon though where my taining is going to be, as I'm relocating from up north and with each day that passes it gives me less time to find decent accommodation. So if there is anyone out there that has any information on the whereabouts of GWR training courses I'd be very grateful if you'd pass on the information to me.

Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.