• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New GWR Trainee Driver Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGW_DID

Established Member
I've been informed that my training will probably be in either Oxford or Reading, but as of yet they are not too sure.

Would be nice to find out soon though where my taining is going to be, as I'm relocating from up north and with each day that passes it gives me less time to find decent accommodation. So if there is anyone out there that has any information on the whereabouts of GWR training courses I'd be very grateful if you'd pass on the information to me.

Kev

Which Driver Depot have you put in for? It may be better to look at accommodation within the hour from there.
The training centre is at Reading, that's where they have the Turbo & 387 simulator. When you move onto the actual handling part of your training you'll be working diagrams from your Home Depot.
If you are looking at Oxfordshire you'll definitely be needing that Drivers' salary :lol:
Have you considered the Swindon area (don't forget you'll have your travel pass for the train), I know quite a few colleagues who travel in from there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kev.

Which Driver Depot have you put in for? It may be better to look at accommodation within the hour from there.
The training centre is at Reading, that's where they have the Turbo & 387 simulator. When you move onto the actual handling part of your training you'll be working diagrams from your Home Depot.
If you are looking at Oxfordshire you'll definitely be needing that Drivers' salary :lol:
Have you considered the Swindon area (don't forget you'll have your travel pass for the train), I know quite a few colleagues who travel in from there.

Hi FGW DID,

Firstly thanks for replying to my post.

I'm going to be at Oxford depot.

You are absolutely correct about needing a drivers salary to live in Oxfordshire, it really is quite expensive and on looking at the Swindon area as you suggested, it seems that you can rent a 2 bed apartment for the same price of just a room in Oxfordshire.

But a question I have regarding living in Swindon is that it can take upto 1hr 25mins to getfrom Swindon to Oxford via car and generally takes over 1hr on the train. So how strict are they on living within 1hr of the depot?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Hi FGW DID,

Firstly thanks for replying to my post.

I'm going to be at Oxford depot.

You are absolutely correct about needing a drivers salary to live in Oxfordshire, it really is quite expensive and on looking at the Swindon area as you suggested, it seems that you can rent a 2 bed apartment for the same price of just a room in Oxfordshire.

But a question I have regarding living in Swindon is that it can take upto 1hr 25mins to getfrom Swindon to Oxford via car and generally takes over 1hr on the train. So how strict are they on living within 1hr of the depot?

To be honest, although I can't speak for the drivers depots, as long as you turn up for your booked start times and not late on a very regular basis, I wouldn't think they would worry about that. I know of at least one Oxford driver who lives in Swindon. Once you start the shifts, you'll more than likely be travelling outside the peak times.

I live to the West of Oxford and travel to Reading. I either drive to Didcot and catch the train or just drive to Reading, outside the peak times I average about 50-55 minutes.

Some days it seems you could live in Oxford and still take over an hour to reach the Station <(

Some places you may want to check out accommodation within Oxfordshire:
Witney & Carterton to the West
Abingdon & Didcot to the South
Kidlington to the North

Coronet 070

Hi Kev,

As long as medical and references clear, I will be joining you in March in Oxford.

As far as I'm aware GWR staff get free travel between Bicester village and Oxford with chiltern so you could look at Bicester or even haddenham also.

I think that our classroom based training will be at Oxford but I imagine that we will be starting to drive around the depot in reading learning to couple etc. on the simulator there too.

Kev.

To be honest, although I can't speak for the drivers depots, as long as you turn up for your booked start times and not late on a very regular basis, I wouldn't think they would worry about that. I know of at least one Oxford driver who lives in Swindon. Once you start the shifts, you'll more than likely be travelling outside the peak times.

I live to the West of Oxford and travel to Reading. I either drive to Didcot and catch the train or just drive to Reading, outside the peak times I average about 50-55 minutes.

Some days it seems you could live in Oxford and still take over an hour to reach the Station <(

Some places you may want to check out accommodation within Oxfordshire:
Witney & Carterton to the West
Abingdon & Didcot
Kidlington to the North

Thanks FGW_DID, that's good to hear that they are not to fussy if you live just out of the 1hr travel limit area, but does open up my decision again as to where I'm going to relocate to, with me not knowing the area at all, as I don't want to make a mistake and move to area that is wrong for me, with me not wanting to commute to far. So it's back to the laptop and search again.

Thanks for your tips on area's to live with regards to working in Oxford.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Kev,

As long as medical and references clear, I will be joining you in March in Oxford.

As far as I'm aware GWR staff get free travel between Bicester village and Oxford with chiltern so you could look at Bicester or even haddenham also.

I think that our classroom based training will be at Oxford but I imagine that we will be starting to drive around the depot in reading learning to couple etc. on the simulator there too.

Hi Coronet 070, It's great to know that we'll be on the same course pending medicals and references being clear and I cant wait to meet up and get on with it.

Are you guessing that we'll be based in Oxford or have you information that is where we'll be?

Coronet 070

Yes I can't wait after going trough career changes, assessments, interviews and much waiting etc to just get on with training.

I'm guessing that we will be in the class room at Oxford, however it is quite a small building there so could be wrong. There might only be about 6 people on the course though anyway. I know some ex Oxford drivers so will see what I can find out if I run into them. I believe that there is a large training facility in Bristol but if we ever have to go there for any training we should get put up overnight.

KT530

Your classroom-based training will predominantly be Reading, ie first 4 months or so. If you're based at oxford depot, you will be paid travelling time as overtime during training at Reading, approx 1 hr per day, regardless of where you choose to live.

You definitely need to live within 1 hour's travelling time of home depot using both train and car, otherwise it will be picked up on the fatigue index.

All the best to those starting

Last edited:

Kev.

Your classroom-based training will predominantly be Reading, ie first 4 months or so. If you're based at oxford depot, you will be paid travelling time as overtime during training at Reading, approx 1 hr per day, regardless of where you choose to live.

You definitely need to live within 1 hour's travelling time of home depot using both train and car, otherwise it will be picked up on the fatigue index.

All the best to those starting

Thanks KT530,

That is really good to know, Is the training centre actually in the station at Reading or close by?

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
Thanks KT530,

That is really good to know, Is the training centre actually in the station at Reading or close by?

The training centre is located where the old depot was. Accessed off Cow Lane, there is (or was?) pedestrian access from a street closer to the station end.

Before the remodelling there was an authorised walking route direct from the station to the depot / training centre.

beany

Anyone with news of possible start date for paddington trainees ?
Been nearly 7 weeks so far.

tel1969

I emailed them a few weeks back & was told at the moment there were no vacancies there & they would contact me as soon as a position arises

donpoku

What beany and others who asks this question really means is has anyone got a start date before them as they already know about the sitting tight and waiting for that call, they've been told this a millionth times(exaggeration intended) by HR.

beany

Got an email today saying I'm still on reserve list for my first choice depot.
They are making offers for these depots in line with the business work plan regarding confirmed vacancies at my chosen depot.

Not sure exactly what that means,anyone got one ?

JoDo

Got an email today saying I'm still on reserve list for my first choice depot.
They are making offers for these depots in line with the business work plan regarding confirmed vacancies at my chosen depot.

Not sure exactly what that means,anyone got one ?

Yeah got the same email today looks like standard "we haven't forgot about u email"

tel1969

I got that as well, but since then I've been offered a position with London Overground - Arriva Rail London so I'm having to withdraw my application for GWR. Best of luck to all of you & I hope things start moving for you soon

MrGrumpy

Yeah got the same email today looks like standard "we haven't forgot about u email"

I got something like this the other day from Southeastern. I think it keeps your file live as well at their end.

Anyone heard anything about Reading lately? Been waiting since the 3rd Nov for some news and haven't had any replies when I've tried to contact recruitment :(

FGW_DID

Established Member
Anyone heard anything about Reading lately? Been waiting since the 3rd Nov for some news and haven't had any replies when I've tried to contact recruitment :(

Courses have started this year. Not 100% sure so don't take this as gospel but I think this is the first week of the current course, most but not all are internal (depot drivers etc), I have a few colleagues that are on it.

Don't forget there are only a finite number of driver trainers and at the moment there is also a lot of 387 conversion training taking place.

Whilst I appreciate this probably doesn't immediately help your position, it may demonstrate that there is movement there.

Courses have started this year. Not 100% sure so don't take this as gospel but I think this is the first week of the current course, most but not all are internal (depot drivers etc), I have a few colleagues that are on it.

Don't forget there are only a finite number of driver trainers and at the moment there is also a lot of 387 conversion training taking place.

Whilst I appreciate this probably doesn't immediately help your position, it may demonstrate that there is movement there.

Thanks. I'm still waiting for stage 2 of the assessment centre (MMI). Got a long way to go before I even think about getting on a course :p

JoDo

Received a fone call today and a email, was offered a position pending a medical and ref. But as I have already started driver training with another TOC. Had to politely decline. But that does mean things are moving agian for you guys. So just keep listening for that fone n keep checking those emails. Good luck all

beany

Yes got the phone call yesterday !
Been given link to complete references and scan personal details,proof of address etc.
Medical will follow.
Sounds like initial training will be at Reading with possible course date starting in June.

Kev.

Yes got the phone call yesterday !
Been given link to complete references and scan personal details,proof of address etc.
Medical will follow.
Sounds like initial training will be at Reading with possible course date starting in June.

Massive congrats beany

KOA

Anyone heard anything...... at all

Not heard a single thing since last November when I passed my assessments. I have rang up a few times and just got told that they will contact me when positions become available. That was in January and still no phone call or email!

I had an email yesterday saying that they are looking to put more people into the talent pool at reading soon. They didn't give any dates though.

Ewie13

I had an email yesterday saying that they are looking to put more people into the talent pool at reading soon. They didn't give any dates though.

Was it the email asking if your still interested in The position and in Reading?

Zahari13

Had a DMI on 12th heard nothing back. Anyone progressed this far and waited this long?

Ewie13

I had that email about 2 weeks ago and I replied saying yes and then they sent another one.

I received it from Emma 2 weeks ago, responded saying I'm still interested and then heard nothing, I think it may be worth sending a chaser then. What was the second email they sent you?

Status
Not open for further replies.