• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New look for Virgin Pendolino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oliverj8

Is 390004 back to 9 cars yet after the accident at Wolverhampton?

Thanks in advance,

MCR247

Established Member
Yes it is back to 9 car as of about 1 month ago

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What are the side designs?
I can't see it

It's not a photo designed to show off the new design me thinks but you can just see it in the area to the left of the Virgin logo on the leading vehicle.

rail-britain

Established Member
The livery has been applied to all vehicles, on both sides
There are also "smaller wrap round" adverts at each end of each coach

I suspect this is a publicity exercise for the East Coast franchise
With IEP in effect "dead in the water" but new rolling stock required, a combination of Voyagers and Pendolinos on the East Coast now looks likely
The technology is proven (albeit not perfect)

WillPS

Established Member
Surely technology has moved on a bit in the last 10 years? Seeing as tilting is not necessary on the ECML I'd say it'd be wise to do away with Alstom and their troublesome TMS, and go with a Meridian-esque Bombardier contraption with panto-car. I don't see why the Electrics need replacing, their fleet of 225s wouldn't have a home outside the ECML (unless a LOT of open access started springing up on electrified routes) and they're far from end-of-life.

jon0844

Veteran Member
True, when you see the new EC liveried MK4, you'd almost think it was a brand new train (yes, the same livery that looks pretty ropey and bland in photos but looks great in the flesh!). The only thing that makes it look dated is the straight angled front/rear (typical of the era). If these had new rounded ends, they'd pass as new trains easily.

If the mechanicals are sound, and the interior is already nicely refreshed, why change them?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
travelled on a mkIV set to edinburgh from doncaster, i don't know how they can consider replacing them when there's pacers around it was as modern and comfortable (imo more so) than a pendilino

WillPS

Established Member
Certainly more roomy and actually better equipped in some ways. If they need more electrics, so be it (I don't approve of diesels running all day under wires) but these should be in addition to the 225s.

sprinterguy

Established Member
When the report on IEP deployment was first published, I was surprised that the first area to see the trains introduced would have been the East Coast in order to oust the 225s from the route. Such a scheme, with IEPs’ or with Pendolinos, would be completely pointless: The mark 4 carriages have good ride quality and comfort levels, and are well laid out as concerns passenger amenities. And the class 91 locos are very good at what they do, having been designed for the ECML (After initial plans would have seen them deployed on the West Coast), especially after a comprehensive programme of reliability modifications.

The 225s are only 20 years old or less, so they have at least a decades’ worth of useful working life in them, probably more, and replacing them on the route they were built for just for changes’ sake is completely irrational, especially when you consider that there would be a very limited market for second hand 225s and suitable routes to operate them on.

However, if Virgin were to get the East Coast franchise, and I believe that it will be a close run contest between them and First, I have a sinking feeling that we will see a squadron fleet of Pendolinos on the route within five years of the takeover, to give Virgin a standard corporate image and train fleet if they also retained the West Coast franchise (Which I however see as unlikely).

I’m disappointed with the new vinyl “liveries”; for Bombardier on 221115 and now Alstom on 390004; when I heard about a Pendolino being repainted in Alstom colours, I was hoping for some sort of snazzy all over livery, not just grey mid-body vinyls: Something a bit more like the Porterbroook livery that was applied to 47807 and 47817 in the late nineties.

WillPS

Established Member
I suppose the arguement could be made that the Mk4s and DVTs could be redeployed elsewhere and with a Diesel pulling them if necessary - but why?

At_traction

When the report on IEP deployment was first published, I was surprised that the first area to see the trains introduced would have been the East Coast in order to oust the 225s from the route. Such a scheme, with IEPs’ or with Pendolinos, would be completely pointless: The mark 4 carriages have good ride quality and comfort levels, and are well laid out as concerns passenger amenities.

Hear hear. But I guess that they possibly are foreseeing/preparing for a catastrophic delay in IEP introduction, by which time the Mk.4s would be rundown hulks. ;)

However, if Virgin were to get the East Coast franchise, and I believe that it will be a close run contest between them and First, I have a sinking feeling that we will see a squadron fleet of Pendolinos on the route within five years of the takeover, to give Virgin a standard corporate image and train fleet if they also retained the West Coast franchise (Which I however see as unlikely).

I grabbed this link from the livery photoshop thread about Mk.4s in Virginite (as well as a Class 67).

Like I feared, the coaches would IMO look just steamin'. Always been partial about the striped doors, but the black rectangle crowns the livery. Excuse me while I relieve myself. Uhh - there. :p

MCR247

Established Member
No the pic At_Traction linked to isn't the pretendolino ;)

Burkitt

I grabbed this link from the livery photoshop thread about Mk.4s in Virginite (as well as a Class 67).

Though those are MkIVs, they are actually the CAF built Irish coaches rather than the East Coast type. I used them in the photoshop as they are the most modern coaching stock in the British Isles.

Paul

At_traction

A MK3 & DVT set already exists in VT colours, there are pics on the VT Wikipedia page.

Yes, a good point, and with the increased length of the Mk.4 coach the effect of the window stripe is/would be of course accentuated.

Though those are MkIVs, they are actually the CAF built Irish coaches rather than the East Coast type. I used them in the photoshop as they are the most modern coaching stock in the British Isles.

Well, I'm satisfied all the same. :) Nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.