• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaii2468

Basically you want a "Everybody Railcard" (this was discussed a few months ago but I can't seem to find the thread) which defeats the point of having a discount scheme at all. You are saying that standard fares are disgraceful.

Well, that's "Network railcard" isn't it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjohnson

Applied for a 2T railcard a few days ago (11th) and received the shiny new purple card in the post today (14th) ... despite not actually living in the trial area!

Looking forward (!) to confusing my local Southern and FCC ticket offices in the near future... not to mention TVMs :-x

wintonian

Established Member
Applied for a 2T railcard a few days ago (11th) and received the shiny new purple card in the post today (14th) ... despite not actually living in the trial area!

Looking forward (!) to confusing my local Southern and FCC ticket offices in the near future... not to mention TVMs :-x

Cover your face, blank out your name and number and show us a picture of it, :p

Please :)

jon0844

Veteran Member

Did you actually give an address outside the qualifying area? Were you a long way out?

I may chance buying one with a St Albans post code and see what happens. Perhaps they're not actually trying to be that strict after all; they're merely promoting it within a confined area.

firespire

Is the idea you first put in a qualifying postcode then on the next screen when it wants your address you change it anything you want?

Last edited:

Lampshade

Established Member
Why were people thinking of contacting the ASA? I've read back through the thread but I can't find anything :?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Why were people thinking of contacting the ASA? I've read back through the thread but I can't find anything :?

Before the railcard was launched, the website for it contained an alleged testimonial from two Walsall football fans who claimed they had saved quite a bit of money using it.

Clearly they hadn't, as the card hadn't started, which led some of the more cynical to think that these people may not be real...

firespire

I see now, cjohnson must have a postcode beginning with B then?

So the website unofficially includes -

BA Bath
BB Blackburn
BD Bradford
BH Bournemouth
BL Bolton
BN Brighton
BR Bromley
BS Bristol
BT Belfast

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I see now, cjohnson must have a postcode beginning with B then?

So the website unofficially includes -

BA Bath
BB Blackburn
BD Bradford
BH Bournemouth
BL Bolton
BN Brighton
BR Bromley
BS Bristol
BT Belfast

An unintended error I see. It let me proceed with a Bournemouth postcode. :D

FGWman

Yes it must be because birmingham postcode start with only a single letter. I thought all postcodes started with 2 letters. So the programmer must have said if first letter B the accept.

Lampshade

Established Member
Yes it must be because birmingham postcode start with only a single letter. I thought all postcodes started with 2 letters. So the programmer must have said if first letter B the accept.

Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and Glasgow only have one letter.

Whoever programmed it was quite obviously a complete amateur.

Bedpan

Established Member
What a priceless error!!

I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if its been said before, but if Sam and Mark are publicised as having a card despite living in Walsall which has a WS postcode and so is out of area, then they can hardly complain if other people outside the "B" area buy one by fair means or foul.

dvboy

Established Member
Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and Glasgow only have one letter.

Also three of the London postcode areas; W, E and N.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What a priceless error!!

I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if its been said before, but if Sam and Mark are publicised as having a card despite living in Walsall which has a WS postcode and so is out of area, then they can hardly complain if other people outside the "B" area buy one by fair means or foul.

WS isn't out of area. The trial area is B, CV, DY, WS and WV postcodes.

Furrball

I can only guess that their coding was if left(postcode,1) = B or left(postcode,2 =CV) or left(postcode,2) = WS . . . . etc

stut

Established Member
Feel free to pull this, but...

If you have a quick Google, there's a company offering PAYG PO Box services in several cities (about 80p per letter) including Brum. A little hassle, but could work, although I'm not sure if you're allowed a different billing address when it comes to paying for it.

dvboy

Established Member
Feel free to pull this, but...

If you have a quick Google, there's a company offering PAYG PO Box services in several cities (about 80p per letter) including Brum. A little hassle, but could work, although I'm not sure if you're allowed a different billing address when it comes to paying for it.

Let me guess, this one's on Colmore Row, and offers you a "Suite" number?

Furrball

Out of interest what are the requirements for the various TOC to make this card available as an option on their booking site?

It seems that most of them have not done so yet and therefore you could argue in the case of East Coast that this card is being advertised as saving you 33% but the fact that you you cannot buy online means you do not get the 10% discount so you do not save your 33%!

graham43404

It looks like they may have tightened this loophole up sadly as I have tried my BL postcode and it won't allow it.

jon0844

Veteran Member
As I have a St Albans postcode (ALnn) I discovered that by entering AL10 (Hatfield), the system suddenly upgraded my railcard to an All Line Rover.

Seems like the IT department have slipped this little trick in with the update. A year of unlimited travel anywhere in the UK for £28. Not bad!

(Sadly joking, but hopefully it gave ATOC a fright!)

Status
Not open for further replies.