• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New South Western franchise: Awarded to First/MTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I've also seen they're will be direct Portsmouth - Weymouth services. Is this an extension of the Netley road stoppers, or a brand new fast or semi fast service?

It could be a diversion of the second London service. This doesn't make good headlines but bring it on I say; Portsmouth - Bournemouth are two big regional centres and not many people travel from beyond Poole to London every day; so the second one can run 10 car throughout from Poole (say). But that's just hypothetical.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Also as a Bagshot line dweller this looks wonderful to me. Surprisingly to many people Surrey Heath is quite a depressed area in parts (by local standards) and plenty of jobs/colleges e.t.c. will be a lot closer.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Can I be the first to say that this announcement is very positive. 100% because we can instantly now stop ALL class 442 rumour/ideas threads.

But no 185s to Salisbury/Exeter, so the "where next for 185s" thread lives on!

Established Member
I'm I the only one who thinks this looks a bit poor overall. Where's extra capacity for the Exeter route for starters. Looks like prospect of 158/159 replacement is at least 10 years away. Weymouth route gets a train to Portsmouth but what about London capacity?

You would hope the 442's will have a proper refurb including new traction equipment.

Last edited:

Established Member
90 trains consisting of 750 vehicles formed as 5 and 10 car trains could give 60 10-car and 30 5-car - that would replace the 455s/456s and 707s more or less like for like, it wouldn't quite cover the 458s.

Bigfoot

90 trains consisting of 750 vehicles formed as 5 and 10 car trains could give 60 10-car and 30 5-car - that would replace the 455s/456s and 707s more or less like for like, it wouldn't quite cover the 458s.

Why would you replace a brand new train. I would suggest that it will be a fleet of desiro cities 30x5 plus the 90 new units. Byebye 455 456 the 458 will stay in some way probably still on RDG.

infobleep

Veteran Member
[.n];2936132 said:
Oh well, I think its a real shame that Stagecoach lost, judging by the complete rubbish service I have always experienced on FGW/GWR services round me when I have taken them

Do the department for transport take into account whether a company provides good or bad services elsewhere?

I think it's a shame Stagecoach lost out. I'd love to know why they lost out.

There won't be any need for Stagecoach to go on about ebay they are doing to invest in the railway now, as very shortly they won't be investing in the South West franchise.

superalbs

Established Member
Where's extra capacity for the Exeter route for starters. Looks like prospect of 158/159 replacement is at least 10 years away.

I was very disappointed to see that we aren't getting a lot too. If we are heading to London then I guess we save a little bit of time after Salisbury, but local journeys past there aren't really getting much, except from unspecified 'Increased commuting capacity.' according to this map.

http://www.firstgroupplc.com/~/medi...lc/content-images/south-western-railway-3.jpg

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I'd wager the 458s are staying on the Reading road. Too much money coming in from 1st class gold cards past Staines to put 707s on; plus it's a long old journey.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I thought DOO was ruled out on this franchise?
Sam

SWT under stagecoach always maintained they didnt want it. Indeed they made a big thing of it during the GTR/RMT dispute but the devil is in the detail of the franchise spec details which we havent yet seen. As its something the DfT are increasingly pushing for it it wouldnt suprise if its in there and First won it on the basis they would implement it.

First however are another guard backing firm tho....

godfreycomplex

Established Member
SWT under stagecoach always maintained they didnt want it. Indeed they made a big thing of it during the GTR/RMT dispute but the devil is in the detail of the franchise spec details which we havent yet seen. As its something the DfT are increasingly pushing for it it wouldnt suprise if its in there and First won it on the basis they would implement it.

First however are another guard backing firm tho....

This is true. And although MTR have no guards here or in HK they are big platform staff backers; which is also good news.

I think that essentially we're in the position that lots of people envisaged
Anything operated by a 707 - possibly
Anything not - no chance

Kite159

Veteran Member
That would mean that for journeys like to Alton, someone west of Woking would have to get the train all the way to Waterloo and change there. Probably adding at least an hour to a journey

Unless said passenger changes at Basingstoke, with maybe rejigging of the timetable so the services following call at Woking instead.

infobleep

Veteran Member
2 an hour direct from Guildford - Farnham and v.v.; good news. Bye bye Hogs Back traffic!
I see Southampton Central is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century as well.
That is good news as it means no having to walk between North Camp and Ash for the official fastest journey. I never did that mind you but officially that was the promoted journey.

I look forward to seeing what else has changed. Maybe an improvement for services from Surbtion to Woking between 18.41 and 19.59 inclusive. Currently no fast or semi cast services run at that time.

I don't know and DOO though.

Mordac

Established Member
Very disappointing that there's no replacement for 158/9s. They could have been a good way of plugging the DMU gap elsewhere.

387star

On Moderation
First wanted dco at least on gwr only two years back

Anyway bad news stagecoach one of the few good tocs with a consistently high standard of service loved by many very disappointing

infobleep

Veteran Member
That would mean that for journeys like to Alton, someone west of Woking would have to get the train all the way to Waterloo and change there. Probably adding at least an hour to a journey
No they won't. They would change at Basingstoke for a stopping service to Brookwood and change their to Alton. It might be more inconvenient but would that bother the TOC?

Don't TOCs only care about what the majority of people want to do and most, in the peaks at least, seem want to go to Waterloo.

387star

On Moderation
Very disappointing that there's no replacement for 158/9s. They could have been a good way of plugging the DMU gap elsewhere.

Yeah surprising that given greater anglia getting a whole new fleet

godfreycomplex

Established Member

It is a bit of a shame. Hopefully their utilisation rates will get a bit better so 6 can become the norm; the tales of standing from Sherborne to London on Saturday morning are beyond a joke now.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
158s and 159s especially the SWT variants are good trains! Certainly not the most pressing need to replacement around the country.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Yes, must admit I am slightly surprised a bi-mode replacement isn't on the cards.

Could happen yet. GWR ordered way more than the DfT spec as did TPE place orders too. First clearly favour the 802s and part of the mule will be cleared for GWR diverts. Wont be too difficult extending the clearance across 3rd rail territory, which may then start the ball rolling for XC. Factory capacity may be an issue tho...

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Could happen yet. GWR ordered way more than the DfT spec as did TPE place orders too. First clearly favour the 802s and part of the mule will be cleared for GWR diverts. Wont be too difficult extending the clearance across 3rd rail territory, which may then start the ball rolling for XC. Factory capacity may be an issue tho...

Next franchise possibly. 159s will be a bit tired by then and Newton Aycliffe's order book may well be a tad empty. Kill two birds with one stone?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I see they are going to offer better wifi speed and coverage. Better coverage would be good but as for speed and coverage combined, I think First could deal with the North Downs Line. Half the time it doesn't connect and if it doesn't connect you can end up on a spam type page! One you wouldn't want to visit.

Its as if First are using a page internally [Intranet] on the trains that is a spam type page on the Internet.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Weymouth route gets a train to Portsmouth but what about London capacity?

Could it end up being Waterloo-Weymouth via Portsmouth Harbour? 3x450 to Portsmouth Harbour with 1 450 detatching and running all stations to Weymouth (the return journey coupling to 2x450 at Portsmouth Harbour for a return run to Waterloo).

Status
Not open for further replies.